What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 4 2022 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I put it down a lot to modern coaching, too much structure and most teams playing the same style has diluted the natural skill a lot and turned the players into athletes/robots rather than footy players

I think it’s also why the likes of Bennett, Bellamy and Hasler can get the best out of lesser players, they still use some old school methods and techniques to get players performing and instill a bit of confidence in them rather than being too scared to try things

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You’ve got to give it to the Tigers, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team so good at dragging other sides down to their level.

TheDMC

Bench
I put it down a lot to modern coaching, too much structure and most teams playing the same style has diluted the natural skill a lot and turned the players into athletes/robots rather than footy players

I think it’s also why the likes of Bennett, Bellamy and Hasler can get the best out of lesser players, they still use some old school methods and techniques to get players performing and instill a bit of confidence in them rather than being too scared to try things

Agree way too much structure. So many players look lost on 'eyes up' play. Not the good teams though - Melbourne and Penrith complement structure with off-the cuff play beautifully.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Watch Fifita last night, disinterested and getting through no work, and compare that to Talakai here who would be on 1/4 of his money, if that. Light years apart in involvement and impact

JJ

Immortal
Sharks look to have made some positive changes and are building nicely

Sharks look to have made some positive changes and are building nicely
Taught to turn head into ground on tackles past horizontal to get players in the bin.Very weird action by Malitalo that if he tucked his chin the shoulder would hit first.
Didnt like the driving down action of Young though.

Seemed to get most of the calls from what I saw (Bunker overturned a few) 2m forward pass for try while man in bin.

Their passing and handling looked miles better than ours.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Taught to turn head into ground on tackles past horizontal to get players in the bin.Very weird action by Malitalo that if he tucked his chin the shoulder would hit first.
Didnt like the driving down action of Young though.

Seemed to get most of the calls from what I saw (Bunker overturned a few) 2m forward pass for try while man in bin.
Wasn’t referring to that, but yeah that too

ditching Johnson getting Hynes and Finucane, some good young talent

Somewhere in an alternative universe Ivan is still coaching the Warriors and Nathan is our no 7.
Not sure if they have won a premiership yet tho?

Wasn’t referring to that, but yeah that too

ditching Johnson getting Hynes and Finucane, some good young talent
Yes, cut some deadwood and recuited well out of Storm system. Passes seemed crisp and played with plenty of energy.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Sharks have a great mix of experience and exciting youth. The forward pack is scary if you get the big units like Hunt, Hamlin-Uele and Talakai all firing with 15mins of Fifita off the back of them

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Somewhere in an alternative universe Ivan is still coaching the Warriors and Nathan is our no 7.
Not sure if they have won a premiership yet tho?

new show over here now called Once were Warrior, Monty Betham interviewing old Warriors guys for half an hour. This week was Mannering, and he pretty much said the biggest mistake in Warriors history was moving Ivan on

new show over here now called Once were Warrior, Monty Betham interviewing old Warriors guys for half an hour. This week was Mannering, and he pretty much said the biggest mistake in Warriors history was moving Ivan on
TV show?
He moves on for Tigers to coach his son, I assume he would have been with us if we kept him.
Needed a long term coach like Bellamy for Storm. I do remember many on here saying Cleary can get us in top 8 but not a premiership. Closest we have ever got since.

Panthers remain undefeated.
Look so much better than other teams.
If someone makes a mistake/mistackle the don't stand with hands on hips, but turn and get back into it. Highest common denominator approach vs lowest (he isn't doing it so why should I)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Watch Fifita last night, disinterested and getting through no work, and compare that to Talakai here who would be on 1/4 of his money, if that. Light years apart in involvement and impact
He’sclearly on shot legs. Probably should try to medically retire him.

Blair

Coach
One of my best Warriors memories is in 2012, when I took my parents to Parramatta Stadium. I so wanted a great night, and we got one. We ran over the top of them in the second-half.

There was most of the 2011 team plus exciting newcomers like Hurrell. Oh, plus a new coach, which seemed odd. That night they looked like finals contendors, for sure. It was about round three.

LeagueNut

First Grade
This show has been surprisingly good (for a Sky NZ show anyway) and Mannering was great to listen to, although it felt like he wanted to be a lot more brutally honest than he was. Kind of sad although not surprising to hear he's drifted right away from the game.

I'd love to have James Maloney as a future guest, I reckon he'd tell some great stories and wouldn't pull any punches.

Blair

Coach
Beave's lept out of his seat, Harper in! (He's such an unfancied player).

10-0, Manly in Mudgee.

Blair

Coach
Whenever you play Canberra, hearing the name Jack Wighton always sends chills up your spine.

Agree?

Last edited: