What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 2 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Round two, this feels more like it. No razzmatazz, no betting moguls, no giant egos in Vegas, just NRL footy, and even some wet weather in Sydney to boot.

Tonight, the Broncos are back with their cushy home game to open the round. It's Souths coming to town, it's Reece and Latrell, what's not to like?

Friday, a Sydney big show, Cronulla should roll a Bulldogs side that look as hapless as the last few years. Penrith, the pointless Panthers, host Parra. There's penty of 'p' in that last sentence, and peeing at Penrith Stadium will be a problem, with a packed out crowd and all.

Saturday, you know footy's back when there's a three game feast. Sticky v Benji/Raiders v Wests, is a beauty. Give us an upset, I reckon. The Cowboys will face a test against the Knights with Ponga back and Melbourne will hope the recharged Warriors don't resurrect the old hoodoo they had over the Storm.

Sunday, Manly play Roosters at Brookie. There'll be nothing offensive said in the tackles, but it's league - with league players! - so you never know. We close out with Wayne's shaky-looking Dolphins back at Redcliffe, with a rebounding 'Red V' playing their last game outside NSW till round 19 (or something like that). The beauty of being a Sydney side, eh?

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izz

Blair

Coach
In a troubled world there's always something reassuring about hearing Fatty Vautin commentating on a Friday night. For starters, you always get a laugh.

So, the Rabbitoh gets in the way of his kicker, thus preventing the defence from making a tackle or charging it down, etc. Fatty tells us, matter of factly, that 'all people in our game are across this rule change, it was made clear to them at the start of the season, etc'

Then it cuts straight to the Souths coach, who looks perplexed!

Broncos won 28-18.

Anyone else think that "other" teams would have had that try looked at under a microscope. How did his foot connect when trapped behind another players?

Also funny this week a high shot by Sharks get 10mins vs on DWZ last week! Even went back a set to do it.

Blair

Coach
Anyone else think that "other" teams would have had that try looked at under a microscope. How did his foot connect when trapped behind another players?

Also funny this week a high shot by Sharks get 10mins vs on DWZ last week! Even went back a set to do it.
And jeez, Penrith are looking good, again. Four-peat?

JJ

Immortal
They’re a chance, no mistake, got to still be favourites atm

Blair

Coach
They’re a chance, no mistake, got to still be favourites atm
I'm on board this year. If they're not playing the Warriors in the final then I'll be cheering them home, just like last year, and the year before that, and the year...

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
It's a familiar story for the Tigers. They've fought back but the opposition have gone well ahead, again.

24-12 HT.

Didnt see Benjis Tigers get put to the sword.
But Cowboys crowd turnout is very poor for a team who looked on fire last week.

JJ

Immortal
Holmes lol reminds me of the old days with league guys missing kickable points

Blair

Coach
Holmes lol reminds me of the old days with league guys missing kickable points
It didn't cost them the game. Cows 21-20 in the first thriller of 2024.

Plus Sticky's 250th win.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Been away all weekend, just managed to get home before the Manly game, that was a nice afternoons viewing ! Hit hard in D and throw the ball around with some dangerous players so it’s a good style. Detective Sutton must have been looking extremely hard to find reasons not to award tries with that Olakau’atu effort. Funnily enough looks like not picking them to win will cost me a perfect round

Some sort of club debut for Tommy Talau, whacked in the head trying to score so taken off, passed the HIA so came back on and scored a crucial try, then dislocated his ankle later in the game

Dolphins have started red hot. Poor old Marshall -King has just been KO’d copping a cannon straight off Hunts boot

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Looks like the Dragons have played their one good game for the year, back to looking like spoon contenders again.
I also see they shipped Paul Turner off to England, geez for a guy who had big raps on him when he was with us his career’s gone nowhere since he left.

Blair

Coach
Rd 2 Ladder:

1710672909585.png

A bit of a bummer (for Warriors fans), no doubt.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Reading comments online over the first few weeks, don’t know if I’ve seen a player that supporters of every club (maybe bar the tigers) are wanting to do well more than Luke brooks