What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rules out expansion in 2006

Chook

First Grade
Smart move!

Whilst is seems like a backward step it isn't.

Most clubs are still coming to terms with:
The Salary Cap
Development of various stadiums/grounds
Promotion of junior league in their immediate areas
Financial running costs involved in participating in the NRL
Player behaviour
Professionalism

Also our code currently has, to it's detriment:
Too many governing bodies
Pitiful FTA coverage on both radio and TV
A debt to News Limited :evil:
A new looming tax
13 clubs losing money
Brian Smith still coaching

It is not the time for expansion, we are still in need of further consolidation.

When we have the above issues resolved and more clubs making money, better FTA media coverage, no debt to News, a better idea about the new pokie tax, better behaved players and ONE GOVERNING BODY, then it will be the time for expansion.

It might not be the popular opinion, but it's mine.

Chook.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Im not surprised the NRL made this decision, but the bids shouldnt give up just because of this decision. There may be a chance in 2007 or afterwards.

Let me tell you Central Coast, Gold Coast and Wellington. Dont give up just yet, keep fighting until the NRL finally decides to let them in.

Why did it take this long for the NRL to decide they wont have them, theres plenty of money, talent.

Razor

Coach
theres plenty of money, talent.

Yes there's the talent. People keep saying there isn't. Look at the number of players who go to England/Union each year. They go to England or Union because they can't get a contract in League. More teams, means more places for players. Tuqiri, Rogers, Sailor, all could be still playing League as they said the reason they left was because no club has sufficient money under the cap to get them. If there were more clubs, then there'd be more chance.

Eelectrica

Referee
This decision wasn't totally unexpected. I'd hate to think the bid teams had their hearts so set on 2006 that there was no contingency plan if they were to miss out this time.
Chin up guys we lost one battle but hopefully not the war.

ngap

Juniors
Self interest rules again. No surprise really.

When will Gallop organise the ten year plan they were going to have 3 years ago?

Well if the NRL want teams that can make money, why dont they help them get leagues clubs up and running, give them a bit more cash to invest etc..

Anonymous

Juniors
What a pack of wankers the NRL are.

Why don't we just send the cash that was going into the 16th team down to the AFL?

I want to know why the NRL never listen to what the fans want..

Without us, there is no game, fans are the NRL..

I am getting sick of it all..

Fans should run it, and not executives with a degree who know nothing about the game..

I would rather a board of supporters who have been watching the game for hundreds of years to call the shots.. Give them a couple of qualified advisors as well.

OVP

Coach
What the hell was the point of their stupid little fan poll when they had no intentions of listening to us anyway ?

Expansion may come too late, but Rupert wont, and will never, care about the game anyway.

Piss OFF News Limited ... bring back the ARL ... ffs at least they loved our game.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Expansion. Why are soo many of you upset and abusing the NRL that they didn't expand. Rugby League doesn't have the right ingredients to support another team. At the present time there are probably two teams too many in the competition.

Money just doesn't grow on trees and if everything that a minority of fans wanted implemented in the game was granted you'd be lucky too see any rugby league because the game would be broke.

Razor

Coach
It was obvious that it was the News Ltd camp that was against it. So simple remedy is to stop buying News Ltd papers(buy the Fairfax press if you're in Sydney or Melbourne), dump Foxtel and sign with Optus, Austar or none at all. And avoid as many News Ltd companies as possible. They'll soon get the message if enough people stop.

hrundi99

First Grade
I don't have a problem with the decision.

I think there are things which need to be looked at at present, let alone bringing another team in.

Juniors development recognition
Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

Razor

Coach
Money just doesn't grow on trees

There is more than enough money. Remember several years ago when the NRL rejected the C7 pay TV offer which was significantly more than the Fox Sports bid and the NRL said the extra money isn't something that the NRL really needs?

Front-Rower said:
Expansion. Why are soo many of you upset and abusing the NRL that they didn't expand. Rugby League doesn't have the right ingredients to support another team. At the present time there are probably two teams too many in the competition.

What ingredients do you need?

The gold coast bid has more potential than any sydney team.. They have backing from numerous businesses, thousands of juniors.. And its the fastest growing area in australia..

Who cares about how poor or crap other clubs are, the gold coast would have been a team that could support itself and that is all that should matter..

I dont understand why poor clubs influenced this decision when they have nothing at all to do with the gold coast and how they would have made their money..

Kingytek

Juniors
NRL ARE f**kED - Gold Coast is now owned by the AFL.
Go the Gold Coast Sharks!
Someone at the nrl needs a f**king bullet!

AFL will now adopt the Soutport Sharks as there own and admit them into the competition under the name Gold Coast Sharks

hrundi99

First Grade
I'm sure that was more about getting what they wanted and the fact that fox were involved.

I thought the NRL was effectively losing money at the moment...?

hrundi99 said:
I don't have a problem with the decision.

I think there are things which need to be looked at at present, let alone bringing another team in.

Juniors development recognition
Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

And how do you expect this to happen when the NRL does nothing about it? What have they done to draw bigger crowds? What have they done for junior development? Nothing.. THe NRL does nothing they just sit there raking in the money..

Rugby league needs to be run by people who love the game.

It sux that fans make the NRL yet they dont get a say in anything.