What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rules out expansion in 2006

Kingytek

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
I don't have a problem with the decision.

I think there are things which need to be looked at at present, let alone bringing another team in.

Juniors development recognition
Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

is etc including stopping quality players going to other codes or overseas because there arent enough nrl clubs with a $3.5mil Sal Cap to accomodate the current range of inform players. Please, give me a break!

OVP

Coach
Chicken_Hunter said:
I dont understand why poor clubs influenced this decision when they have nothing at all to do with the gold coast and how they would have made their money..

Maybe you will understand the Roosters point regarding the Salary Cap now. Its only the pissweak clubs who are being listened to, and who are holding our game back. Our game could be truly the elite competition it deserves, but not while ONLY the poor clubs have a say. Time to raise the cap and let it be a survival of the fittest imo. Then our game could truly expand without these dumb little commos being there to foil every plan to make our game great.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I cannot believe i still support a competition which is non-stop doing everything possible to stuff the game up.

f**king wake up NRL, get a clue.

hrundi99

First Grade
Kingytek said:
hrundi99 said:

I think there are things which need to be looked at at present, let alone bringing another team in.

Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

is etc including stopping quality players going to other codes or overseas because there arent enough nrl clubs with a $3.5mil Sal Cap to accomodate the current range of inform players. Please, give me a break!

There are a bunch of players in the NRL who are overpaid for the skills they possess. Very few players have left the NRL for reasons other than a money grab or a paid UK holiday. Only rep players should be on $200k or over.

This time last year no-one was talking of expansion. Why is it suddenly so important and crucial to the game?

OVP

Coach
Earl said:
Matt Orford - Storm halfback 2006 :clap:

what happened to your Bob the Builder avatar Earl ? It made it easier for us to determine who it was that posted that particular piece of dribble by having your joke of an avatar there. ;-) :lol:

Self interest gets you nowhere.

OVP said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
I dont understand why poor clubs influenced this decision when they have nothing at all to do with the gold coast and how they would have made their money..

Maybe you will understand the Roosters point regarding the Salary Cap now. Its only the pissweak clubs who are being listened to, and who are holding our game back. Our game could be truly the elite competition it deserves, but not while ONLY the poor clubs have a say. Time to raise the cap and let it be a survival of the fittest imo. Then our game could truly expand without these dumb little commos being there to foil every plan to make our game great.

That may be the case.. But the salary cap effects all clubs financially whereas the gold coast bid dosn't.. It is a seperate entity and to say that because there are some poor clubs and we cant have a new team because of that is stupid. The inclusion of a 16th team dosnt effect them in that way.

hrundi99

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
hrundi99 said:

Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

And how do you expect this to happen when the NRL does nothing about it? What have they done to draw bigger crowds? What have they done for junior development? Nothing.. THe NRL does nothing they just sit there raking in the money.

This is exactly my point.

The NRL should be concentrating on making the existing competition as strong as it possibly can, not worrying about adding another complication into the mix (for the moment).

If only the people in charge of the NRL read these forums..

If they did they would get a very good bearing on what the fans are saying.. There is a diverse community here and when all fans from all clubs are in agreeance on an issue you could bet your house that almost every other NRL fan feels the same..

Earl

Coach
OVP said:
Earl said:
Matt Orford - Storm halfback 2006 :clap:

what happened to your Bob the Builder avatar Earl ? It made it easier for us to determine who it was that posted that particular piece of dribble by having your joke of an avatar there. ;-) :lol:

Self interest gets you nowhere.

Bob the Builder has gone in search of bigger and better things

Poached you might say.

hrundi99 said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
hrundi99 said:

Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

And how do you expect this to happen when the NRL does nothing about it? What have they done to draw bigger crowds? What have they done for junior development? Nothing.. THe NRL does nothing they just sit there raking in the money.

This is exactly my point.

The NRL should be concentrating on making the existing competition as strong as it possibly can, not worrying about adding another complication into the mix (for the moment).

The NRL has had years and years to do this. Moffet didnt do it and gallop isnt doing it. It wont happen as long as people are in it for the money. Pitty they cant plan ahead, sure there might not be much money now but if they played their cards right there will be plenty down the track. But eh, the dickheads in charge are just after a quick fix.

Its time for change.. A big change. Make the NRL one body run by people who know what the game needs.

Le Rouge

Juniors
The faction filled NRL are f**kin hopless!!!!!!!

Its stupid that there are teams that are struggling IN THE NRL holding back expansion.

There's 3 potential teams that are financilly better than teams in the comp yet they were rejected? :?

Too many governing bodies with their own intrests.

Kingytek

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
Kingytek said:
hrundi99 said:

Wealth distribution
Drawing bigger crowds
etc
etc

There are a bunch of players in the NRL who are overpaid for the skills they possess. Very few players have left the NRL for reasons other than a money grab or a paid UK holiday. Only rep players should be on $200k or over.

This time last year no-one was talking of expansion. Why is it suddenly so important and crucial to the game?

You obviously dont know what RL has done to the GC in the past and you have no idea of the potential it posses in the future. RL has lost the race for family's on the gold coast. People want a sporting even to take their kids to on the GC but unless your into Triathalon's you have to drive to Brisbane for anything.

hrundi99

First Grade
I'm not suggesting for a second that all three locations aren't worthy of a franchise.

What I am saying is that the NRL needs to get it's house in order.

Gallop is supposed to be releasing his "grand plan" soon, and I for one will be fascinated to read it.

hrundi99 said:
I'm not suggesting for a second that all three locations aren't worthy of a franchise.

What I am saying is that the NRL needs to get it's house in order.

Gallop is supposed to be releasing his "grand plan" soon, and I for one will be fascinated to read it.

Lets just hope this plan is GRAND and he sticks by it

ParraMatt

Bench
Not happy Jan, But oohhh well. I would of loved to see the Gold Coast in the competition, Just gotta hope for 2007 now.

Razor said:
Money just doesn't grow on trees

There is more than enough money. Remember several years ago when the NRL rejected the C7 pay TV offer which was significantly more than the Fox Sports bid and the NRL said the extra money isn't something that the NRL really needs?

The News Ltd debt is the main reason this didn't go ahead.

There aren't enough finances to go around to all the clubs. What would happen tomorrow if they turned around and said "Right all three are in and in 3 years we are culling 4 clubs to bring us back to the original 14 teams we wanted. You know who would go..

Souths
Newcastle
Cronulla
Melbourne/Wellington

Most likely.

Definately the first three. So it is probably not worth it at present. The NRL really need to bite the bullet and give clubs a financial goal to reach because in reality we need clubs not to be relying on the handout.

In the Newcastle case if I was the NRL I would loan them money to get a leagues club up and running for themselves.

Le Rouge said:
The faction filled NRL are f***in hopless!!!!!!!

Its stupid that there are teams that are struggling IN THE NRL holding back expansion.

There's 3 potential teams that are financilly better than teams in the comp yet they were rejected? :?

Too many governing bodies with their own intrests.

Exactly and until we rid the game of the stragglers we will always be pandering to the lowest denominator rather than the highest. That will make us a second rate sport and that is not what we need.

Latest posts