What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rules out expansion in 2006

Bomber

Bench
The NRL administration, hard at work.....

ostrich.jpg

Disgraceful decision

carlnz

Bench
First the sevens and now another NRL team, yet another FU*KED CALL made by the NRL.....

THEY ARE KILLING THE GAME! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lantana

Juniors
Everybody needs to calm down.

Don't forget the NRL never once requested submissions from any of the potential franchisees. It was Singo that came on with his typical bullyboy business tactics. Well if Singo is so in favour of expanding the comp how come he wont allow any other commercial radio stations the rights to broadcast games? Because he knows without Rugby League his precious 2gb would rate f**k all.
What does this mean in the long run?
Both of these areas will still recieve NRL support in the forms of games and development. (Surely 16,000 at Roosters V Cowboys shows the area is a Rugby League stronghold without it's own team. The same can be said for the Gold Coast with 18,000 at trial games)
Currently clubs are losing a combined total of 25 million a year and the NRL pays them a total of 30 million (2.5 each). With the pokie tax coming in there is a further shortfall in the grant from the leagues club. When you consider the NRL: makes about 70 million a year and 50% goes directly to News Limited's Super League $220 million debt that leaves around $35 million for the ARL to;
* Fund the ARL Foundation
* Provide NSWRL grants - and affiliated Statewide Cup competitions
* Provide QRL grants - and Affiliated Statewide Cup competitions
* Provide CRL grants
* Fund the ASSRL competitions
* All ARL tours
* Employ all staff including development officers
* Plough millions back into grassroots Rugby League
* Marketing costs
This definately not the time to consider expansion.
f**k, we have knobheads on here every week complaining about the NRL not advertising enough!
The AFL never considered expansion until they had
* a vibrant competition that was averaging over 30,000 to club games (NRL doesn't average hald that)
* until they had a strategic plan for teams to be located in area where AFL had been promoted and developed for many years (Perth, Adelaide)
* Developed a clear pathways program for young talent to be developed nationally and syphoned into the AFL through a fair and equitable player draft.
* Had negotiated a pay TV deal that is TWICE the NRL's deal ($100 million a year)
* Had negotiated a Free to air broadcasating right that was going to provide a vehicle to drive the games promotion into the area they want to develop next as an AFL area (Sydney, Brisbane) - You can see 5 free to air games a week on CH10 + CH9 and can hear games broadcasted on several radiostations with the Swans live on MMM.

Rugby League has plenty of hurdles to get over with new TV rights (Pay and free) to negotiate being the catalyst ot the games direction over the next 10 years.

Don't panic, it would be easy for a weak and irresponsible executive to play the good guy and let these teams in and be a champion for a week. But the future of our game isn't about fly by night decisions. The next franchise admitted can not go down the path of the Reds, Rams, Mariners or Crushers, it is to hurtful to our game.
Yes Singo has guarenteed the Bears for 5 years, then what. Singo isn't a dill and if that franchise isn't making money (I'm pretty sure it will) than what is stopping him moving on?
We need to understand the long term viability of our sport whilst taking in some key performance influncers prior to any decision.
The no is for now until we get a better understanding of where we are so the NRL and News can draw a blueprint of where the game is heading over the next decade. The decision will be a little easier because of the outstanding presentation prepared by the GC,CC and Wellington.
My bet is each area will have a team by 2010.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
Front-Rower said:
Expansion. Why are soo many of you upset and abusing the NRL that they didn't expand. Rugby League doesn't have the right ingredients to support another team. At the present time there are probably two teams too many in the competition.

What ingredients do you need?

The gold coast bid has more potential than any sydney team.. They have backing from numerous businesses, thousands of juniors.. And its the fastest growing area in australia..

Who cares about how poor or crap other clubs are, the gold coast would have been a team that could support itself and that is all that should matter..

I dont understand why poor clubs influenced this decision when they have nothing at all to do with the gold coast and how they would have made their money..

The ingredients you need actually start with the players amongst a whole lot of others. A 16th team would be a haven for a couple of good first graders enticed by the big bucks, and a host of premier league grade players.

Do we really need to go back to a failed area for a third time? How bout we bring back the Reds or the Rams?

You say poor clubs influenced the decision of the NRL. This may be true, but don't they have the right to protect themselves from extinction?

Ohh and finally to the poster who made the comment on the pay tv deal, no it wasn't about the money in why they went with Fox Sports, it was rather they stated that they could see Fox Sports as a more viable option because Fox is/was broadcast in every captial city at the time whereas C7 wasn't, even though they were going to have a dedicated league channel on the three platforms ie Fox, Austar and Optus.

FileMan

Juniors
You leaguies should try and persuade former AFL CEO Wayne Jackson to take over from Gallop. Maybe that would bring league up to it's feet. :lol:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I agree with Gallop.

What this game needs is stability. Every year something changes - we have gone through turmoil over the past decade or so and the competition is finally starting to settle down.

I'm not against expansion - but just not at the current point in time.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
I'm not sure how much of a fan base there is at Wellington, but if they were to put the Central Coast in, it would struggle for attendances, merchandise etc because it is in an already cluttered area for League. On the other hand, looking at the Gold Coast, SE Qld has millions of people, but only one team to support. Anyone who went to the Broncos v Bulldogs game, or any other home game for that matter, will realise how high the demand is for League on the Gold Coast. You've got no chance getting a seat on the train when there is a football game on. Also, the general feel and conversation amongst the fans is that they wish the Gold Coast would get a team so they didn't have to travel so far to watch a game of League. The Chargers were gone a good 6 years ago, things have changed, AFL is growing, and so is the support for Union. Good luck to the NRL putting a team at the Central Coast if Union gets in first, and good luck getting an NRL team in at the Gold Coast if AFL gets in first.

In fact, adding in another team to the competition will provide 1 more game each week, adding to profits because at the moment, each week one team is wasted. Furthermore, merchandise, TV rights and demand for memberships will increase.

Adding in a Gold Coast team won't take anything away from support for the Sydney Clubs, or Melbourne, or Nth QLD, or NZ. The only place it would take money from, and perhaps crowds, is the Broncos, but this years crowd figures indicate they're in great shape, despite the success of the Brisbane Lions.

Gold Coast has no competition against a rival code or team, there is no sporting team which is heavily supported in a national competition here. We are dieing for one, and I think at times it doesn't matter to people what code it is anymore.

NRL, you have missed a big opportunity.

Razor

Coach
50% goes directly to News Limited's Super League $220 million debt

Actually News Ltd take their share as profit, and an extra $10mil. That $10mil is the only thing that takes off their debt. The other money is for them to keep.

And no one forced News Ltd to spend $220mil on Super League. A lot of people would have preferred it if they didn't.

eastsrule

Bench
Lantana said:
Everybody needs to calm down.

Don't forget the NRL never once requested submissions from any of the potential franchisees. It was Singo that came on with his typical bullyboy business tactics. Well if Singo is so in favour of expanding the comp how come he wont allow any other commercial radio stations the rights to broadcast games? Because he knows without Rugby League his precious 2gb would rate f**k all.
What does this mean in the long run?
Both of these areas will still recieve NRL support in the forms of games and development. (Surely 16,000 at Roosters V Cowboys shows the area is a Rugby League stronghold without it's own team. The same can be said for the Gold Coast with 18,000 at trial games)
Currently clubs are losing a combined total of 25 million a year and the NRL pays them a total of 30 million (2.5 each). With the pokie tax coming in there is a further shortfall in the grant from the leagues club. When you consider the NRL: makes about 70 million a year and 50% goes directly to News Limited's Super League $220 million debt that leaves around $35 million for the ARL to;
* Fund the ARL Foundation
* Provide NSWRL grants - and affiliated Statewide Cup competitions
* Provide QRL grants - and Affiliated Statewide Cup competitions
* Provide CRL grants
* Fund the ASSRL competitions
* All ARL tours
* Employ all staff including development officers
* Plough millions back into grassroots Rugby League
* Marketing costs
This definately not the time to consider expansion.
f**k, we have knobheads on here every week complaining about the NRL not advertising enough!
The AFL never considered expansion until they had
* a vibrant competition that was averaging over 30,000 to club games (NRL doesn't average hald that)
* until they had a strategic plan for teams to be located in area where AFL had been promoted and developed for many years (Perth, Adelaide)
* Developed a clear pathways program for young talent to be developed nationally and syphoned into the AFL through a fair and equitable player draft.
* Had negotiated a pay TV deal that is TWICE the NRL's deal ($100 million a year)
* Had negotiated a Free to air broadcasating right that was going to provide a vehicle to drive the games promotion into the area they want to develop next as an AFL area (Sydney, Brisbane) - You can see 5 free to air games a week on CH10 + CH9 and can hear games broadcasted on several radiostations with the Swans live on MMM.

Rugby League has plenty of hurdles to get over with new TV rights (Pay and free) to negotiate being the catalyst ot the games direction over the next 10 years.

Don't panic, it would be easy for a weak and irresponsible executive to play the good guy and let these teams in and be a champion for a week. But the future of our game isn't about fly by night decisions. The next franchise admitted can not go down the path of the Reds, Rams, Mariners or Crushers, it is to hurtful to our game.
Yes Singo has guarenteed the Bears for 5 years, then what. Singo isn't a dill and if that franchise isn't making money (I'm pretty sure it will) than what is stopping him moving on?
We need to understand the long term viability of our sport whilst taking in some key performance influncers prior to any decision.
The no is for now until we get a better understanding of where we are so the NRL and News can draw a blueprint of where the game is heading over the next decade. The decision will be a little easier because of the outstanding presentation prepared by the GC,CC and Wellington.
My bet is each area will have a team by 2010.

Finally someone that is smart. Not the f**king bandwagoners that whinge cos everyone else is whinging.

Razor

Coach

News Ltd decide who gets the pay TV rights. News Ltd own 50% of Fox Sports. Who do you think will get the rights no matter how much Fox Sports or any competitors offer?

JW

Coach
FileMan said:
You leaguies should try and persuade former AFL CEO Wayne Jackson to take over from Gallop. Maybe that would bring league up to it's feet. :lol:

You should f**k off you fagball merkin.

:arrow:

Cheers.

NRL_man

Juniors
What really irks me about this is the fact that the strong point of these bids was that they had money. Instead they are complaining about the loss of money by the current clubs. What's the point of making a successful bid then if it relies on how bad the other clubs are going, which you have no power over?

The other thing really annoys me is that the partnership recommended all three areas to be represented by the Telstra Premiership in the future. This is bull (assuming they mean first-grade NRL). The only area that has the potential to do this is the Gold Coast. Their bid simply blows all the others out of the water in all areas and would place them above some current Sydney clubs in all criteria. I simply don't think anyone will relocate to the Gold Coast and it's a shame because they won't be represented in NRL top-flight anytime soon.

Joey you make some excellent points, I think the NRL has really blown it this time :x

Bengal

Juniors
This is a disappointing, but hardly surprising outcome; after all we are a reactive rather than pro-active sport.

As far as the stability/consolidation argument is concerned, that was a valid point two-three years ago, but it doesn’t hold water now and certainly won’t two years into the future. Consolidation is just a very convenient excuse these days.

As for the “Singo will only fund the Central Coast for five seasons” debate goes, well, if the Central Coast cannot turn a profit or add value to the NRL in five seasons, then out the door they go (profit in terms of adding a theoretically NRL grant to their bottom line).
It should be part of the entry criteria for all new teams that they must turn a profit or add value to the NRL within a stipulated period (five years is reasonable) otherwise they lose or could be threatened with the loss of their licence.
This way at least, if the NRL get it wrong, it won’t hang over their heads for ever! Then we can try and try again until we do get it right.

To me, letting a self-funded team in (Central Coast) was a no-brainer. I can only fathom that the reason they didn’t get in would have been the conflict of interest between News and the potential Singo/Branson media interest.

Still they most disappointing thing about this affair is not the failure to expand, because in the overall scheme of things, this is not a huge c*ck-up. No the most disappointing aspect is the agendas certain posters are spouting forth at a time when many fans are undergoing a mini-mourning type period.
This lacks class!

GoldCoaster

Juniors
Dumb :roll: Theres so much talent up here on the coast and queensland competition players that don't even get exposure to the Sydney supporters. They can justify Souths,Manly and a floating Bulldogs and not understand the word "NATIONAL". I used to think Queenslanders were conspiracy nuts but "We will look at it again Next Year!". Its obviously someone can't look beyond there own backyard. Very dishearting.

I think the Storm relocating here will be even more previlant now, You could not find 30,000 people in Melbourne to sign a petition stating they would go to 4 games of league a year. (I know they have supporters and loyal ones) But the reality is they don't even a have first grade regulation feild, let alone enough people in the town who even care if they are even there. Most of team have some link to Qld anyway.

Human Nature is to explore and Melbourne is a good idea and a better prospect than some other teams but 8500 junior players can only be ignored for so long.

Craig

Juniors
hybrid_tiger said:
I agree with Gallop.

What this game needs is stability. Every year something changes - we have gone through turmoil over the past decade or so and the competition is finally starting to settle down.

I'm not against expansion - but just not at the current point in time.

Being a Wests Tigers fan, your comments do not surprise me one bit since Wests and Balmain had to merge to still be in the comp, and thus give up 90 years of tradition etc.

JW

Coach
I don't profess to know as much detail about this topic as some, so I can't really say if I'm dissapointed or not about this decsision.

However, I just hope that this hasn't left the door open to another football code, for example (AFL - GC and possibly Onion - CC), to come in a take what we have ignored.

Cheers.

JK

It should be part of the entry criteria for all new teams that they must turn a profit or add value to the NRL within a stipulated period (five years is reasonable) otherwise they lose or could be threatened with the loss of their licence.
This way at least, if the NRL get it wrong, it won’t hang over their heads for ever! Then we can try and try again until we do get it right.

I like your points. The Gold Coast also had financial stability with $10million in the bank as a reserve. Surely this along with a 5 year goal would give the NRL some breathing room?

Sillt decision and we will lose support because of it.

t-ba

Post Whore
Having News Limited involved with the game was such a super idea. Thanks Bullfrog, Ribot and the rest of you clowns for drowning the game :roll: