What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

Wb1234

Referee

NRL season launch and ad campaign in doubt after player boycott threat​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

January 27, 2023 — 6.30pm

The NRL may be forced to cancel its season launch after players refused to take part in promotional activities amid the increasingly bitter pay dispute.

The Herald can also reveal the Rugby League Players’ Association has formally requested a three-day lock-in with NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo next week in the hope they can finally resolve their differences and sign off on a deal.

The RLPA is expected to make discussions over a CBA for the NRLW the first order of business should Abdo grant them their wish. NRLW players have been training without contracts because the salary cap for the women’s competition remains unknown.

Players last week made it clear they would not assist the NRL with any media or promotional duties leading up to the start of the season.

The NRL is now considering whether to scrap the season launch to save money and avert what looms as a public relations disaster.

Last year’s season’s launch was meant to be held in Penrith but had to be scrapped at the last minute because of the floods.

Panthers duo Ivan and Nathan Cleary fronted last year’s advertising campaign, with the theme ‘Unreal’, which followed the 2021 ‘Defy Impossible’ campaign, the 2020 ‘Simply The Best’ commercial, and the ‘New Era Begins’ in 2019.

The RLPA said that its players would not be involved in shooting any new footage for the ad campaign.

An NRL spokesperson on Friday told the Herald there had been no final decision made about the launch nor the ad.

“We are in ongoing discussions with the RLPA regarding these and other issues and look forward to an exciting 2023 season for our fans,” a spokesman said.

The key differences

WHAT THE NRL HAS OFFERED
- The $12.1 million men’s 2023 salary cap is the largest in history and a 22 per cent increase on last year’s, while the women’s salary cap of $884,000 has seen a rise of 153 per cent.
- $1.347 billion in total payments over five years, up from $980m paid during the previous CBA, which takes in “other benefits” outside player wages including an injury hardship fund, representative payments and welfare and education funds
- A rise in the men’s minimum wage from $80,000 to $120,000, though this figure is still short of the $150,000 the RLPA had targeted

WHAT THE RLPA WANT
- A seat at the table when it comes to making any employment-related changes during the current CBA, including any proposed increased to fines, changing the length of the season, and policies relating to criminal proceedings;
- An increased injury hardship fund, which will now need to cover more than 250 extra players because of the arrival of the Dolphins and 10 NRLW teams;
- A new medical support fund, which allows players to have surgeries and rehabilitation covered more than 12 months after they retire;
- A new collective bargaining agreement for the NRLW;
- Better training wages, an increased minimum wage and match fees;
- Better post-career programs to help players transition into normal life once they stop playing.

The NRL tabled a record $1.347 billion in total player payments for the next five years, up from the $980m offered during the last CBA. But the players are digging their heels in over several other matters, including the lack of funds set aside for the injury hardship fund, as well as the need to have more autonomy with running their own finances.

There have been threats of strike action, but there are no plans to boycott the Indigenous All Stars nor pre-season trials.

North Queensland Cowboy Chad Townsend said last weekend: “I really hope a strike is not the option. As players, we have to consider all our options and what will be best for us. We’ll be prepared to do what it takes to achieve what we believe is fair and reasonable.

“The players are prepared to wait and be patient. We need to make sure the deal we sign isn’t just a good one for this year, but in the next four or five years.”

South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou told the Herald earlier this week: “At the end of the day, nobody wants that [strike]. But at same time they need to make noise and get a seat at the table.

“I don’t know the ins and outs of it all, but from the outside looking in, they look like they are disgruntled because they haven’t had a voice and opportunity to share their thoughts on what they feel is important for the playing group.

“Speaking to them, a lot of the things they’re talking about are things like looking after injured players post career, making sure the womens’ game has what it needs, and the players in the lower-tier [pay bracket].

“They’ve actually been quite selfless with how they have approached it, and it will be good to see them sit down and nut it out with some adult conversation so it can all be resolved.”

Just don’t call it a strike

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh boycotting marketing of the game because that’s only for the benefit of the arlc … genius

and the last time they promised they would be partners in the game if they got what they wanted

playing this out in the media is a bad look too when we know this will get resolved next week

Wb1234

Referee
I want the players to strike.

Just to see them humiliated by the backlash.
As satisfying as that would be the damage to the game would ruin the season

the game is in a really good position now with real momentum

it will take away from the arlc baby the dolphins too which is what we all want to see how they go this year

this argument behind close doors will be solved the players are just having their moment in the sun

siv

First Grade
Again no figures in the RLPA's demands
They mention they want minimum wage to be $150k

2022 it was $120k and had been going up $5k each year

So 2023 should have been $125k. But increasing player 27-30 from $80k has offset this

No mention of anything on their NRLW demands

Iamback

Coach

So 2023 should have been $125k. But increasing player 27-30 from $80k has offset this

That is it that all works out

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
As satisfying as that would be the damage to the game would ruin the season

the game is in a really good position now with real momentum

it will take away from the arlc baby the dolphins too which is what we all want to see how they go this year

this argument behind close doors will be solved the players are just having their moment in the sun
When I say humiliated i mean i believe they have been driven down the garden path by Jet-set Newton.

A bit of humiliation might see them put in a different leader and approach

I want the players to strike.

Just to see them humiliated by the backlash.
Instead of a players strike, if I were the RLPA I would just get every team round 1 to play boring 0-0 draws. One out hit up every tackle and grubber over the side line and players only playing at 40% intensity.

Fox and Nine (real owners of the game) would get this mess fixed up in a week.

Pneuma

First Grade
When I say humiliated i mean i believe they have been driven down the garden path by Jet-set Newton.

A bit of humiliation might see them put in a different leader and approach
The NRL needs to sort this out asap to save the players from themselves

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol
fancythat .
bless little AFLPerth .
who woulda thunk it ….having a go at the ARLC .
bless again .
Lol
fancy that
bless the little Vlandys sycophants
who would a thunk it….. can’t see the nrl fcking up negotiations yet again
bless again

Wb1234

Referee
Instead of a players strike, if I were the RLPA I would just get every team round 1 to play boring 0-0 draws. One out hit up every tackle and grubber over the side line and players only playing at 40% intensity.

Fox and Nine (real owners of the game) would get this mess fixed up in a week.
Many teams already play like that anyway

Iamback

Coach
Lol
fancy that
bless the little Vlandys sycophants
who would a thunk it….. can’t see the nrl fcking up negotiations yet again
bless again

So enlighten us, What exactly do the players want to replace the 12 month post career injury cover?

Iamback

Coach

Nor what is wanted to replace the 12 month injury cover post retirement

The players want match fees on top of their salary too?!

They are taking that straight from the EPL and other football (aka soccer) leagues where most players often have that in their contracts. Thing is, those leagues usually do not operate under a salary cap of any kind. On that one point I think it is an unrealistic demand to make. You can't expext increased wages and then on top of that match fees for actually playing in the games you are contracted and paid for already. That is just straight greed in my book.

Iamback

Coach

They are taking that straight from the EPL and other football (aka soccer) leagues where most players often have that in their contracts. Thing is, those leagues usually do not operate under a salary cap of any kind. On that one point I think it is an unrealistic demand to make. You can't expext increased wages and then on top of that match fees for actually playing in the games you are contracted and paid for already. That is just straight greed in my book.

A lot of their stuff seems fairly reasonable on the surface but lacks detail so it comes across as a cash grab

Wb1234

Referee

Hmm maybe they should get rid of guaranteed contact amounts and structure deals on win loss bonuses