What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

Frailty

First Grade
"The average salary in the NRL is around $370,000 - but that figure is skewed because the big money is earned by a minority of players.

The median salary - the player in the 50th percentile pay bracket - earns around $200,000 less than the average, according to the RLPA.

That means half of NRL players earn less than $175,000 per season, while the average first-grade career lasts just 45 games."

Come on PVL, you even put the link where you decided to not give full context.

Wb1234

Referee
"The average salary in the NRL is around $370,000 - but that figure is skewed because the big money is earned by a minority of players.

The median salary - the player in the 50th percentile pay bracket - earns around $200,000 less than the average, according to the RLPA.

That means half of NRL players earn less than $175,000 per season, while the average first-grade career lasts just 45 games."

Hahhaa

the article then uses average a paragraph later

but thanks for the compliment I appreciate it

Iamback

Coach

Wouldn't that be the same in any Salary cap sport?

The US sports have salaries known and a very top heavy

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL official accused of covertly recording players in bitter pay war​

Jon Pierik

ByJon Pierik

February 7, 2023 — 2.14pm

A senior NRL employee has been accused of trying to covertly record a meeting with players amid rugby league’s bitter pay war.

Rugby League Players Association chief Deidre Anderson fired off an email to Australian Rugby League chairman Peter V’landys and his board on Tuesday, declaring players were incensed that a NRL executive had allegedly recorded conversations at the annual Leaders in League conference last Friday, where NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo came face to face with about 60 players.

However, it was the presence of an uninvited NRL employee – whom the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age have opted to not name – which sparked concern.

Anderson’s letter, seen by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, says “that upon arrival, Andrew [Abdo] was accompanied by [an NRL employee] … this was disappointing given [the employee] was not invited, nor had Andrew given any forewarning that [the employee] would be attending.”

“Nevertheless, RLPA management (with the consent of player leaders), allowed (the employee) to sit in on Andrew’s discussion out of respect for [their] role ... To ensure an open and honest environment for Andrew and the players, no filming or recording of this session was permitted and no media representatives were present.

“What then followed is nothing short of illegal which, on its face, seriously calls into question the integrity of the NRL, its executive and its culture. I am instructed that a player (who I will not name), raised concerns with RLPA staff that (the employee) was covertly recording the session on [their] phone. The player raised the concern based on their understanding that attendees were not permitted to record these discussions.

“An RLPA staff member queried with (the official) as to whether [they were] recording, which (the official) denied (twice). Upon further inquiry by the staff member, [they] lifted [their] phone (which was face down) and realised that the screen clearly showed that a recording was taking place. [They] then asked to speak to the staff member outside, and the two left the room in full view of all players in attendance.

“Once outside, (the official) admitted to recording the conversation and acknowledged it was inappropriate for [them] to be doing so. Further, (the employee) stated that [they] had been acting under the instruction of another NRL executive. After the session, [RPLA CEO] Clint [Newton] addressed the matter separately with (the official) and Andrew, and advised that the playing group and the RLPA are aware of the incident due to the public nature of what unfolded, and that the RLPA will need to appropriately consider our options with next steps given the seriousness of the matter.

“Now I don’t feel I need to state how concerning these actions were. The deliberate and covert nature of the recording is breathtaking. It is immoral, unethical and illegal. There was no consent granted to record. In fact, no attempt to seek consent occurred.”

V’landys told the Herald and The Age he would investigate the matter and get to the bottom of the situation.

“We’ve received a private and confidential letter, so I don’t wish to comment on the letter,” V’landys said.

“But I have given commitments to the chairman of the RLPA and one of the player representatives, and I will follow through on that commitment. I will 100 per cent delivering on my commitment to them.”

This masthead has spoken with players in attendance who have confirmed the events. One player, who did not wish to be named, said: “This is really disappointing, coming at a time when we were hoping to build trust with the NRL.”

Anderson, in her letter, wrote last week’s meeting had been productive.

“It is unfortunate though that we are still not aligned on the important role of the RLPA in representing the players. To that end we must agree to disagree on several of the issues that you have raised,” Anderson said.

“I cannot stress enough our concern for how far our sport is lagging the other codes, especially in terms of player rights, and if we do not close this gap it will only widen over the next five years.”

There has been the threat of strike action from players heading into the new season, as the NRL and the game’s stars remain apart on several issues.

Frailty

First Grade
Wouldn't that be the same in any Salary cap sport?

The US sports have salaries known and a very top heavy
Absolutely, but when you’re talking about CBA negotiations which one side is framing the other as “rich players being spoilt” by using an average salary to disguise the situation which is “most careers are short and don’t earn a lot”.

Wb1234

Referee
Absolutely, but when you’re talking about CBA negotiations which one side is framing the other as “rich players being spoilt” by using an average salary to disguise the situation which is “most careers are short and don’t earn a lot”.
It’s the fans on social media saying that

the arlc have never said anything along these lines

Perth Red

Post Whore

NRL official accused of covertly recording players in bitter pay war​

Jon Pierik

ByJon Pierik

February 7, 2023 — 2.14pm

A senior NRL employee has been accused of trying to covertly record a meeting with players amid rugby league’s bitter pay war.

Rugby League Players Association chief Deidre Anderson fired off an email to Australian Rugby League chairman Peter V’landys and his board on Tuesday, declaring players were incensed that a NRL executive had allegedly recorded conversations at the annual Leaders in League conference last Friday, where NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo came face to face with about 60 players.

However, it was the presence of an uninvited NRL employee – whom the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age have opted to not name – which sparked concern.

Anderson’s letter, seen by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, says “that upon arrival, Andrew [Abdo] was accompanied by [an NRL employee] … this was disappointing given [the employee] was not invited, nor had Andrew given any forewarning that [the employee] would be attending.”

“Nevertheless, RLPA management (with the consent of player leaders), allowed (the employee) to sit in on Andrew’s discussion out of respect for [their] role ... To ensure an open and honest environment for Andrew and the players, no filming or recording of this session was permitted and no media representatives were present.

“What then followed is nothing short of illegal which, on its face, seriously calls into question the integrity of the NRL, its executive and its culture. I am instructed that a player (who I will not name), raised concerns with RLPA staff that (the employee) was covertly recording the session on [their] phone. The player raised the concern based on their understanding that attendees were not permitted to record these discussions.

“An RLPA staff member queried with (the official) as to whether [they were] recording, which (the official) denied (twice). Upon further inquiry by the staff member, [they] lifted [their] phone (which was face down) and realised that the screen clearly showed that a recording was taking place. [They] then asked to speak to the staff member outside, and the two left the room in full view of all players in attendance.

“Once outside, (the official) admitted to recording the conversation and acknowledged it was inappropriate for [them] to be doing so. Further, (the employee) stated that [they] had been acting under the instruction of another NRL executive. After the session, [RPLA CEO] Clint [Newton] addressed the matter separately with (the official) and Andrew, and advised that the playing group and the RLPA are aware of the incident due to the public nature of what unfolded, and that the RLPA will need to appropriately consider our options with next steps given the seriousness of the matter.

“Now I don’t feel I need to state how concerning these actions were. The deliberate and covert nature of the recording is breathtaking. It is immoral, unethical and illegal. There was no consent granted to record. In fact, no attempt to seek consent occurred.”

V’landys told the Herald and The Age he would investigate the matter and get to the bottom of the situation.

“We’ve received a private and confidential letter, so I don’t wish to comment on the letter,” V’landys said.

“But I have given commitments to the chairman of the RLPA and one of the player representatives, and I will follow through on that commitment. I will 100 per cent delivering on my commitment to them.”

This masthead has spoken with players in attendance who have confirmed the events. One player, who did not wish to be named, said: “This is really disappointing, coming at a time when we were hoping to build trust with the NRL.”

Anderson, in her letter, wrote last week’s meeting had been productive.

“It is unfortunate though that we are still not aligned on the important role of the RLPA in representing the players. To that end we must agree to disagree on several of the issues that you have raised,” Anderson said.

“I cannot stress enough our concern for how far our sport is lagging the other codes, especially in terms of player rights, and if we do not close this gap it will only widen over the next five years.”

There has been the threat of strike action from players heading into the new season, as the NRL and the game’s stars remain apart on several issues.

values of an alley cat this NRL leadership.

Frailty

First Grade
It’s the fans on social media saying that

the arlc have never said anything along these lines
I never said that the ARLC did say those things. They wouldn't when they can get their lackies to do it and maintain plausible deniability - much like the recordings that the previous article brought to light.

It's funny for all the claims you make that players are leaking information, it hasn't seemingly occurred to you that the NRL and ARLC are doing it.

Wb1234

Referee
I never said that the ARLC did say those things. They wouldn't when they can get their lackies to do it and maintain plausible deniability - much like the recordings that the previous article brought to light.

It's funny for all the claims you make that players are leaking information, it hasn't seemingly occurred to you that the NRL and ARLC are doing it.
Yeh I’m sure you can find loads of examples where the arlc have been playing this out in the media

Iamback

Coach

Isn't that the fans saying that?

most of whom will never earn $120k a year

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't that the fans saying that?

most of whom will never earn $120k a year
tbf most people who arent earning $120k are not in the top 600 people of their profession!
Nor are they and 35 of their colleagues directly responsible for bringing in tens of millions of $'s every year.
Nor are they having a short career,
nor are they risking their health, and potentially life in their job every week.

Its a real furphy to even try and compare your avg Jo to an elite professional sportsperson.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
The NRL’s pay dispute has reached full-blown crisis point with players threatening to strike during the premiership, claiming a radical boycott may be required “for the good of the game”.

The players and the league have been locked in a stalemate since the collective bargaining agreement expired last November.

The NRL season launch is already in jeopardy as the RLPA continues to fight for better conditions post retirement, chiefly seeking medical retirement and transition funds for the health and education of players once they hang up their boots.

But now Parramatta back-rower Shaun Lane, an RLPA delegate for the Eels, says the dispute has lingered for too long and a strike may be the only solution.

“I think everyone’s hopeful of a resolution soon but, whether it’s realistic or not, I’m not too sure,” Lane told AAP on Tuesday.

“It’s dragged on for way too long. It should have been handled six months ago and obviously it’s heading to a time where some action may need to be taken in order to finally resolve the conflict and get what we need to get out of this bargain.

“A strike is probably the last thing that everyone wants to occur and obviously understanding the best interests for all the stakeholders in the game – players, clubs, the NRL, fans, sponsors – the last thing that anyone wants to happen is to strike and for footy to be cancelled.

“So we’ve tried to do everything that we can to signify that we don’t want to do that and that we want to resolve these negotiations before it gets to that point.

“But unfortunately you’ve seen historically sometimes these things need to occur.

“I guess if it does get to that point then we will be willing to do whatever’s necessary.”

Lane said “the most appropriate next steps” were discussed at the most recent RLPA leadership conference last month, with only the third strike in more than a century of premiership rugby league obviously the most drastic – and last resort – course of action considered.

He suggested the tipping point comes because the NRL isn’t listening to the RLPA.

“We’ve been really showing our unity as a playing group, getting behind the RLPA and our stance, and that hasn’t really resolved anything yet so I guess showing our unity isn’t quite enough to really get them at the table to where we need them to be,” he said.

“So I guess escalating the situation may need to be done and hopefully we don’t have to boycott any games but, if it does eventually get to that point, I guess we gave them plenty of time to get stuff sorted.

“Hopefully it doesn’t happen during the season because everyone just wants to see footy – and us included.

“I’m sure the fans don’t want to see any footy not being played either.

“But it’s unfortunately the right thing to do, though, and what needs to happen for the good of the game and for the good of the playing group.”

Rugby league historian David Middleton told AAP a round-one boycott by Super League-bound clubs in 1996 and a protest from Glebe in 1917 had been the only ever strikes to hit the code since the ARL was founded in 1908.
https://photos.aap.com.au/galleries/NewsRoom/Australian Sport

Latest posts