What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL season structure

The only reason crowds are decreasing is because the media (Daily Telecrap) is doing everything they can to bring the game down! Then they blame the State Of Origin for it??!!! :?

Big Sam

First Grade
I'd like to see us go R1-12, three weekends of SOO, then R13-24.

This.

Play SOO on 3 straight Sundays and play a Pacific 6 Nations involving NZ, PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, and Cook Islands on the Friday and Saturday to fill the weekend with RL content.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yeah, Origin has to be fixed.

I mean, after 30 years it has grown into the countries most treasured rep sporting event. Meanwhile the comp has expanded into a billion dollar business across 2 countries.

It only makes sense that we change a successful formula because some pisshead in a Cronulla pub and a handful of Gen Y geniuss on an internet forum are on a crusade :roll:

BTW How terrible is it to contribute to a low ranked club like NZ finding form. I mean, wasnt it a sh*t game in Perth? No - it was a f*cking corker. And Brisbane are shIt with or without Thirdman, Grampa Parker and f*cking Hodges!!!

Last edited:
I dont hate the idea of a dedicated origin period.

But I hate the idea of origin on a weekend.

IMO , playing it on an unusual night like wednesday gives it a special feel. And it helps TV ratings.

This.

Play SOO on 3 straight Sundays and play a Pacific 6 Nations involving NZ, PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, and Cook Islands on the Friday and Saturday to fill the weekend with RL content.

Last time origin was on a Sunday I don't remember it being a success.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah, Origin has to be fixed.

I mean, after 30 years it has grown into the countries most treasured rep sporting event. Meanwhile the comp has expanded into a billion dollar business across 2 countries.

It only makes sense that we change a successful formula because some pisshead in a Cronulla pub and a handful of Gen Y geniuss on an internet forum are on a crusade :roll:

BTW How terrible is it to contribute to a low ranked club like NZ finding form. I mean, wasnt it a sh*t game in Perth? No - it was a f*cking corker. And Brisbane are shIt with or without Thirdman, Grampa Parker and f*cking Hodges!!!

But you have to ask whether they have grown to be the most exciting concept in the country and a billion dollar competition because of this structure or in spite of it.

Would changing it to a straight series and 8 round of higher quality football be detrimental to either?

Origin will not have the same impact on weekends.

Play the series over 3 consecutive Wednesdays.

And have 12 nrl games spread out over the 3 surrounding weekends. So 4 games per weekend. The 12 games would take up 2 rounds (taking byes into consideration).

I like it.

It must stay on Wednesday.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Rothfield is usually wrong but the gist of this is right.

Get rid of byes and Anzac day test. 3 stand alone origin weekends. It would help reduce the unfairness of clubs being punished for developing good players. It would be good for crowds, it would be good for ratings.

Make Origin a Friday/Saturday night event. Fill the rest of the weekend with u20/NSW cup showcases as well as Tests between developing nations. You'd have plenty of content for fox.

Everyone would be happy.

Whatever reasons 9/Fox would have to complain would be answered by them having improved ratings in all the other weeks that would otherwise be impacted by origin.

Win win for everybody.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yes I would like to see 3 consecutive weeks for origin. Saturday night prime time

Perhaps with a 3 week break in the season a round robin stage of the pacific cup could take place, England could tour new Zealand and vice versa. The opportunities for internationals excellent. I don't think a nines or knock cup would be appropriate, it certainly doesn't interest me if it only involves the NRL clubs. Another opportunity to explore could be 4 team round robin tournaments in Asian cities. This is something the EPL has done in Malaysia in the past with success

Say NRL breaks after round 13 (on the sunday, no MNF), Players then depart for international/origin duties.

Did the article mention the two weeks of intense rain a few weeks ago? Maybe more games should be scheduled during the afternoon during the winter months if crowds are a concern?

A mid year break would be nice but we'll be starting the season in early February and people will complain about games in the heat.

Big Sam

First Grade
A mid year break would be nice but we'll be starting the season in early February and people will complain about games in the heat.

It would be the same length as now.

Rounds 1-12, 3 Origins, then Rounds 13-24. All rounds to have 8 matches. Because of the mid-season break there'd be no need for teams to have two byes and a 26-round season like now.

Yes I would like to see 3 consecutive weeks for origin. Saturday night prime time

Perhaps with a 3 week break in the season a round robin stage of the pacific cup could take place, England could tour new Zealand and vice versa. The opportunities for internationals excellent. I don't think a nines or knock cup would be appropriate, it certainly doesn't interest me if it only involves the NRL clubs. Another opportunity to explore could be 4 team round robin tournaments in Asian cities. This is something the EPL has done in Malaysia in the past with success

Say NRL breaks after round 13 (on the sunday, no MNF), Players then depart for international/origin duties.

So you'd put the biggest TV event of the year on the worst night for TV?

Will never happen.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Didn't Brad Walter suggest this last week? Looks like Slothfield plagarised...

3 straight weeks is a good idea though.

It does seem a much better idea, but Channel 9 won't have a bar of it.

It's funny how he's only complained about Origin affecting the comp since Cronulla have 3 players involved this year. In particular, he thought it was great to see the Dragons struggling with 6 or more players in 2010 & 11.

Latest posts