What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL season structure

BuffaloRules

Coach
Does anyone else find the Anzac test weekend when there are no club games the most boring of the year?

Imagine another three weeks a year in a row like this?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sweet, thanks.

Edit: Looking at the years before and after, theres not a massiive change in the crowd numbers. Considering how much more populer the concept has become in the last few years, I imagine they would still be able to sell out the stadiums.

As for tv ratings, i cant find any for that year or the years after, so that cannot really be argued on. But judging by the grand final ratings we get, the only market reduction would be in Melbourne.

Does anyone else find the Anzac test weekend when there are no club games the most boring of the year?

Exactly, so people will be completely focused on Origin to get their League fix.

AND could you imagine how excited people would get at having the NRL back after afew weeks off. Youd get a nice boost in crowds like its the first few rounds of the season.

And this would be during the middle of the season when people are taking the NRL for granted and begin to skip games

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal

What a rubbish comparison. Of course it's a boring weekend when the highlight is a one off meaningless test that one side has one every year for a decade. Big difference between that and weekends dedicated to the biggest rugby league games of the year.

BuffaloRules

Coach
What a rubbish comparison. Of course it's a boring weekend when the highlight is a one off meaningless test that one side has one every year for a decade. Big difference between that and weekends dedicated to the biggest rugby league games of the year.

So what day will it be on dufus?

It won't be Sat night, so it's a long wait to Sun night.

And what about the years when the series is decided before game 3?

Billythekid

First Grade
I don't agree with the whole article but the general sentiment is spot on. Having SOO basically kill the club game for 7-8 weeks is just too much. Crowds and ratings have basically died for the club game and that can't be a good thing. The NRL currently put far too much emphasis on SOO at the cost of the club game and i think long term that is a mistake.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Over the same period, the Broncos have lost five from six without Sam Thaiday, Justin Hodges, Matt Gillett and Corey Parker.

Pretty sure the only game those 4 missed was round 12 v. the Warriors since Brisbane had the bye in round 15. Hodges may have missed another due to injury but it's not origin related.

Just a shameless clickbait article with no real research

Card Shark

Immortal
Leave origin the way it is for f**k sake.

It will not be successful on a weekend, compressed over 3 consecutive weekends or at end of season.

It's a Rothfield story - who cares.

Valheru

Coach
Why would it not be successful?

3 consecutive weekends is the obvious solution. Get rid of the rep round and it doesn’t increase the length of the season at all.

bondy064

Juniors
I believe the NRL season schedule needs a overhaul.

My ideal season would be as follows,

#All Stars (stays as a good season starter)
#Season Starts
#City / Country. (change in format needed, open to new ideas)
#State of Origin ( 1 week break in between)
#Nines Tournament ( similar to Challenge Cup Super League)
#Finals
#Tests

Test matches between the Pacific Islands in the weekend of City / Country

More Rep Games and reduce the club games so only play each other once.

No changes won't be able to happen till after the current TV rights contract expires.

Billythekid

First Grade
Play origin over 3 weeks and throw in some extra matches like fiji vs samoa to add a few extra games.

It would be good for the players as well imo. Gives teams a 3 week period to get people over niggling injuries and prepare for the back end of the season. Whilst the star players will be playing origin they won't be backing up which is better for them as well.

I really think it could be a great move by the ARLC but who knows what will happen.

flippikat

Bench
Play origin over 3 weeks and throw in some extra matches like fiji vs samoa to add a few extra games.

It would be good for the players as well imo. Gives teams a 3 week period to get people over niggling injuries and prepare for the back end of the season. Whilst the star players will be playing origin they won't be backing up which is better for them as well.

I really think it could be a great move by the ARLC but who knows what will happen.

That's the way.. have the NRL suspended for 3 weekends and make that a "rep window".

* Australian State of Origin (NSW v Qld)
* Under-20s State of Origin as curtain raiser.
* 4-way series between Fiji/Tonga/Samoa/PNG (2 more games a week). Team with the best record across 3 games wins the title.
* NZ Origin (Auckland-origin v the rest)

That's 5 games each weekend, plenty to compensate for the lack of club footy.

Card Shark

Immortal
Why would it not be successful?

3 consecutive weekends is the obvious solution. Get rid of the rep round and it doesn?t increase the length of the season at all.

An important part of the series is the build up. A week between games will not do the series justice. The mid-week game gives it special significance.

Perhaps go back to 2 weeks between games & play on a Tuesday to lesson the impact on the following weekend.

I would hate no club games for 3 weekends in a row.

POPEYE

Coach
Good luck . . . no trials, every team plays each other twice, best 2 gf, 1 Origin with alternate venues

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
An important part of the series is the build up. A week between games will not do the series justice. The mid-week game gives it special significance.

Perhaps go back to 2 weeks between games & play on a Tuesday to lesson the impact on the following weekend.

I would hate no club games for 3 weekends in a row.

You're right about the need for build up. 1 week isnt enough and 3 weeks is just too much.

But if you play it around club games then one of them will lose alot of interest.

And you say you would hate to go 3 weeks without club footy. A lot of people would feel the same. Can you imagine how exited people would be to get their club games back after the break.

NrlCoach

Juniors
3 week rep rounds

Australian State of Origin (NSW v Qld)

Under-20s State of Origin

Fiji v PNG

Tonga v Samoa

England v NZ

Latest posts