What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourplay

Juniors
NFL players are bigger because they don't need fitness. There is one tackle then a break. Sometimes a player would come on for one play then go off again.

NRL players are A LOT fitter, aerobically but NFL players are stronger and more powerful, due to the nature of the game, and also because they're all on STEROIDS.

NRL players are DEFINATELY better tacklers and better runners with the ball in there hand, there is no comparison. This is because an NFL "tackle" would only make something pathetic like 10 tackles a whole season.

Here is what it boils down to....

The athletes in the NFL and NRL are not special.

Given the right situation....an American athlete that headed to Australia at a young enough age could be a great league players and an Australian athlete could make a great NFL player.

One MAJOR thing NFL players have going for them is the relaxed ruloes regarding steriods. I remember a couple of seasons ago a guy getting four games for testing positive to steriods.

If I had to choose the better all round athlete...it would be a League forward.

If I had to choose the athlete that could make the conversion the easiest it would once again be the League forward.

One NFL player I'd have loved to see play league was Darren Woodson of the Dallas Cowboys. He was a VERY good tackler and a big hitter.

NPK

Bench
Another reason why NFL has bigger players than NRL - they have many African American players who have a genetic advantage. That's not racist, it's fact.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Did i mention the players were dumber?

NFL is simply controlled by the coach on the sideline. He decides what the play is going to be - the offence, not even the quarterback really have to think for themselves....they just need to follow what they memorised in practice.

In League on the other hand, the coach is not holding the hand of the players 24/7...sure he may relay the occasional directive via walkie-talkie but the players are out there on their own - they have to make all the decisions.

So run along now little troll....you have been well and truly thrashed. I suggest you go and join an NFL fansite when you can engage in a group wank about the pathetic game you favour.

booeycollector

Juniors
I admire players from BOTH games. WHY compare games which are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Now lets compare GOLFERS to TENNIS PLAYERS. Very silly.

Pazza

First Grade
ozhawk66 said:
Stopping after every hit? Maybe to get ready to lay another one on. Come in for a landing, dickhead; if you really wanna debate.

While EVERY player on the NFL playing field is involved on EVERY play, such is not the case in league.

On normal play of the ball, there is anywhere from 2-5 players involved on each tackle/play of the ball in leage. This is why the NFL is a MUCH faster game than the NRL. It's also why there is only one ref on the NRL field while there is seven referees on the NFL playing field. And that's with 13 league players on the field compared to 11 football players.

Faster? If you wanna compare the fastest the NRL has to offer to the faster, elite players of the NFL? - go ahead. Mind you, you better come up with players a lot faster than the likes of a.....
Scott Donald, Brett Stewart, Amos Roberts, Rhys Wesser, Chris Hicks etc...

Strong? You don't even wanna go there and compare.

nobody is going to argue that a NRL player is more explosively strong as a NFL player. NFL players are so specific that they should be better at their jobs than league players. But get a big buff gridiron guy to consistantly hit without a break and he will be gone well before a league player. I couldnt imagine any NFL player pulling off a huge hit after taking on the workload of a Nathan Hindmarsh or Even Carl Webb. It would be great doing a few seconds of intense action then getting a 40 second break. The amount of running a league player does in a defencive set of 6 would have a NFL player on his knees after 10 minutes. Yet league players are still able to pull of big hitups anywhere up to 79 minutes into the game.

For me a league player is most superior athelete in the world. He has so many different types of strengths that are important to his ability to play the game and if he is weak in any of them he will be exposed by the opposition.

Pazza

First Grade
NPK said:
Another reason why NFL has bigger players than NRL - they have many African American players who have a genetic advantage. That's not racist, it's fact.

2 things

- You become too big in league you become slow and a defencive liability.

- The amount of endurance required to play league makes building that much musscle impossible, plus the amount of juice they are on makes it hard for a league player to keep up.

I recon Adrian Morley could flatten the biggest baddest running NFL player after he has had 5 to 10 minutes of running in a league defencive line. Their hearts arnt as strong so the heart doesnt pump oxygen enriched blood into their muscles efficiently enough which throws their strength out of the window.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
ozhawk66 said:
You are way off the mark on this one. Especially about the soft, unfit and less skilled parts.

NRL players are much smaller, slower and less toned, especially at the comparable skilled positions.

10x fitter? Now that one is a laugh.

You are obviously sold on NFL and just wanted to start this silly thread for a stir.

weasel

First Grade
This is stupid really, the US has a population of 300 million and has far greater wealth and infrastructure, so naturally there's going to be a greater level of athleticism achieved by their top level sportsmen than in a country of 20 million. If their major football code was league, union or soccer instead of American football, they would dominate any one of those sports on a world stage quite easily (forget about the Kangaroos or All Blacks or even the Brazilian soccer team, they'd be no hope). He's obviously not after a real debate, just trolling, and it's more likely than not he's just an afl follower masquerading as a fan of another sport a la Jonny Wilkinson in the fight club.

NPK said:

Thats just a stupid thing to say....

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
As a fan of both sports and someone who has played them both, here are my thoughts.

Everyone belives that gridiorn doesnt require as much fitness as league which is just wrong..in gridiorn you are consistantly doing something.

I played QB on offense and CB on defense, as a QB i found myself dying and im very fit..I run to the sidelines, get the play..run to the huddle the tell the players then run to the line of scrimage and play..

It is very exhausting on a long drive down field.

In League you get alot of chances to get your breath back also when the action is on the other end..so dont use the "in gridiorn you stop every 30seconds."..

Gridiron defense is very hard, you have to run hard out non stop and then get a few seconds break..i played CB i was runing more then i thought i needed too but trust me its harder then league during defense.

Depending on the position id say its too close to call on which sport is rougher..but as a QB every play i got belted lol.

Lego_Man

First Grade
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
As a fan of both sports and someone who has played them both, here are my thoughts.

Everyone belives that gridiorn doesnt require as much fitness as league which is just wrong..in gridiorn you are consistantly doing something.

I played QB on offense and CB on defense, as a QB i found myself dying and im very fit..I run to the sidelines, get the play..run to the huddle the tell the players then run to the line of scrimage and play..

It is very exhausting on a long drive down field.

In League you get alot of chances to get your breath back also when the action is on the other end..so dont use the "in gridiorn you stop every 30seconds."..

Gridiron defense is very hard, you have to run hard out non stop and then get a few seconds break..i played CB i was runing more then i thought i needed too but trust me its harder then league during defense.

Depending on the position id say its too close to call on which sport is rougher..but as a QB every play i got belted lol.

So do you have to make split-second decisions like Lockyer? Do you even have to think for yourself in the NFL?

By the way a game of league doesn't take 4 hours, and there aren't players who are only required if the team is on offence or defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.