What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexM

----
watching the NFL for 4 f**king hours is plain boring and stupid!

The game itself just stops and goes!

I like how league is just a free fast flowing team game where every players in the team has the chance to touch the ball.

But just compare the salary between the NRL and the NFL.

Slappy

Juniors
Gridiron is so typical of the United States where everything has to be bigger & better!
They get so wrapt up in all the hype of it that they can't see that the game is
S H I T!!!
It's a fool's sport for a nation of fools!!!!
To be anything in gridiron you have to be on a sh*tload of steroids!!
Good luck to 'em, if living past the age of 45 aint important to ya' go for it!

It would have to be THE worst game in the world!!!

I'll take league anyday over Crud-iron, just as I'd take Cricket over that c**k-witted baseball!

ozhawk66

Juniors
Lego_Man said:
FFS american football is pathetic...two more reasons:

1. They have 2 teams in one (an offensive team and a defensive team) How pathetic is that? So much for multiskilling...

Be carefull here. Fifty years ago, they did play both sides of the ball in pro, American football. Nowdays, it's a physically, impossibility. It can't be done. It's one of the main reasons why 18 year old kids are NOT allowed to play in the NFL, and why it's physically impossible for the NFL to play a 26 game, regular season schedule WITH! 3 S0O games to boot!

2. They have one player whose sole job is to kick...thats all he does, punt and kick goals.

And that same kicker has but one moment to make the extra point or field goal, all in the name of team-timing..... meanwhle, in league, they just installed the 90 second rule for a kicker to get comfy to get it right.

A game of american football goes on for something like 4 hours because they have so many stoppages. If it wasn't contact it would be worse than soccer.

It's just under 3 1/2 hours. And where football is a game of chess, footy is a game of checkers.

ngunity

Juniors
ozhawk66 said:
But forwards don't BLOCK on each and every play. They are resting/pacing themselves DURING normal play of the ball - while lineman do all sorts of pulls, traps, stunts etc, all just to screw up their immediate opponent. And every play starts off with the equivalent of a scrum. And it's actually a violent scrum.

If you gave an NRL player 40 seconds to recover from a 'violent scrum' or a bit of push and shove they could do it mate. Most NFL games you don't see the ball snapped before the play clock is below 5, so it's about 30-40 seconds recovery.

Rugby League doesn't have time-outs either which is more resting, and tactics

I think any reasonable league fan will accept NFL is way more tactical as the coach basically moves his 150KG pawns around, play by play with about 20 seconds to choose the next play after the current play is called dead (before they cut his mike to the QB). ~ is this what you wanted to hear?

brenno

Juniors
very different sports i reckon so it's difficult to say. Gridiron as a sport has several more positions than rugby league and several of those are pretty specialized. In league some players can play multiple positions. I think in the NFL, there is no question that the players are more powerful, explosive and bigger athletes. As for more skilled i'm not sure about that. Rugby League players are without a doubt MUCH MUCH fitter across the board than NFL players. Alot of positions in NFL don't neccessarily require a great deal of fitness and focus more on power, explosiveness, durability etc. Even the fattest, slowest NRL prop could outlast a 120kilo + offensive lineman in the NFL.
I believe if the Yanks ever took Rugby or League seriously as a sport then the Aussies would be in alot of trouble. Americans (in particular african and hispanic americans) produce some of the most physically imposing athletes in the world. There's a reason why these blokes wear pads. Sadly, if the NFL were truly clean as a sport (steroids are rife in that sport moreso than baseball i believe) and the game wasn't so stop start id be a fan.

AlexM

----
yes thats nguity.

the game itself is just too tactical.

Wayne Bennett and Phil Gould will have a brain explosion if they ever coached in the NFL.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Slappy said:
Gridiron is so typical of the United States where everything has to be bigger & better!
They get so wrapt up in all the hype of it that they can't see that the game is
S H I T!!!
It's a fool's sport for a nation of fools!!!!
To be anything in gridiron you have to be on a sh*tload of steroids!!
Good luck to 'em, if living past the age of 45 aint important to ya' go for it!

It would have to be THE worst game in the world!!!

I'll take league anyday over Crud-iron, just as I'd take Cricket over that c**k-witted baseball!

Just like rugby union.

ozhawk66

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
What does the amount of referees have to do with it? Just means ours are fitter as well.

One ref compared to 7? Come in for a landing. I know you don't know, but it's THAT much faster of a game. Fitter?

Give me the fastest 2/3 wingers the NRL has to offer, then explain to me how fit they are.

Have to wait back to put another hit on? For f**ks sake, in league they make a tackle then go straight n do another again. Fitzy made 59 in origin,

Yawn. I have yet to see a full-fledged, UNCONCIOUS knockout in league. And I watch 2-3 live league games each week. I've sen em knocked goofy for a minute or two......but not hat I just described. And we are used to that in American football on a WEEKLY basis.

Hindmarsh 33 after 25 minutes. And you say they have no endurence? f**k off,

I didn't say the NRL player didn't have any endurance. Idget.

no NFL player could do that, they'd be to busy readjusting there helmet n making sure they havethat little bit more than a rediculous amount of padding on.

Your ignorance is complete ith that last one.

ozhawk66

Juniors
ngunity said:
If you gave an NRL player 40 seconds to recover from a 'violent scrum' or a bit of push and shove they could do it mate. Most NFL games you don't see the ball snapped before the play clock is below 5, so it's about 30-40 seconds recovery.

Rugby League doesn't have time-outs either which is more resting, and tactics

I think any reasonable league fan will accept NFL is way more tactical as the coach basically moves his 150KG pawns around, play by play with about 20 seconds to choose the next play after the current play is called dead (before they cut his mike to the QB). ~ is this what you wanted to hear?

I'll get back to you (on this one) as I have to go elswhere tonight........

Red Bear

Referee
Nah, im just not into sh*thouse, long boring games full of dickheads wearing huge pads which should be over in a n a half or 2 hours tops n last 3 n a half to 4 hours. How boring!

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Firstly Ozhawk66, why the heck are you coming onto a RUGBY LEAGUE forum blowing the trumpet of a FOREIGN sport?
Gridiron isnt even played professionally in Australia, the UK etc...
Its a game based on HYPE just like BAseball and most things AMERICAN.
If you are an Aussie, why do you follow a silly AMERICAN sport but then come onto a forum of this nations 2nd BIGGEST SPORT and start patronising the game with the joke of a game NFL is?
Answers on a A4 sized postcard please.....

Raider Ultra

Bench
Drug policy, haha. If a player wants to take drugs they won't get caught. The only ones that get caught are incredibly stupid or have unwittingly taken cold tablets or something else. It's not just NFL, it's basically every sport.

Bomber

Bench
Yawn. I have yet to see a full-fledged, UNCONCIOUS knockout in league. And I watch 2-3 live league games each week. I've sen em knocked goofy for a minute or two......but not hat I just described. And we are used to that in American football on a WEEKLY basis.

So because players get knocked unconscious, it's a better game?

It sounds like a suicide pact to me.

ozhawk, let's get something straight right out of the blocks ok, Rugby and Rugby League are two different things.

If you want to argue the relative merits of two games, make sure you actually know what to call the other one first.

I happen to enjoy the NFL but have absolutely no doubt that players from the NFL wouldn't last in the NRL. NFL players are bigger because they have to be. The nature of the game in short, explosive increments means that the one single thing that can be relegated is stamina and in most cases that's swapped for size and/or explosive speed. Stamina is critical in NRL players. Good NFL running backs average 100 metres per game, good Forwards in the NRL average 150 per game. One plays over 80 minutes, one plays over 4 hours.

No NFL player could play an NRL match and last the distance, they wouldn't even get close.

How many tackles does a running back make in a season?

Less than the average NRL forward makes in one match.

When you don't have to be moving, tackling and running for 40 minutes without a break, you can be bigger and get away with it. The explosive running backs and wide receivers from the NFL would last 10 minutes in Rugby League, then they'd be run over for the next 70 by League players.

The linemen would be lucky to last 10 minutes.

NFL players have plenty of attributes but the pace and continuous action of Rugby League would find them out quicky.

Read up on Manfred Moore. He was a top NFL player and a completely sh*t Rugby League player.

Christ, the NFL has ex-AFL players playing in it and AFL is a sport for complete pussies. Compare those two, they at least have that in common.

Fact is, the two games are too different to compare. One is non-stop over 80 minutes and the other is stop-start over 4 hours. If Rugby League had an offensive 13 and a defensive 13, there may be a comparison. As that isn't the case, a comparison based on anything you're throwin up is just plain stupid.

Now, take a hike you weirdo.

brenno

Juniors
ozhawk66 said:
You have no idea about the NFL roid policy.

Is it imposed as strictly as MLB's policy on steroids?
Fair dinkum even a blind ferrett with a half brain can see that very few of these blokes aren't on the juice.

Bomber

Bench
Fair dinkum even a blind ferrett with a half brain can see that very few of these blokes aren't on the juice.

Even punters - the most useless players in the entire sport - are on the juice. Todd Sauerbrun, for example.....

Bazal

Post Whore
NRL players are more mobile, faster, more agile, far more skilled, and fitter by roughly equivalent position(as in prop vs equivalemnt, 2nd row vs equivalent etc). NFL players are better at very little, I'm sure say, FuiFui MoiMoi or Kylie Leuluai would flatten an equivalent sized NFL player without armour. NFL is all about smacking someone as hard as you can from behind the protection of a fibreglass suit. NRL is all about ball promotion and ball movement. I like NFL, but can only watch it in small doses as it tends to get sh*t boring after 2 hours airtime for 40 mins play. NRL is a much more fluent, flowing, skillful game, simple as that.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh and NRL have our tacticians (ie the halves, hooker and whoever else, in Matt Bowens case fullback) on the field, not in the "playmakers" ear through a microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.