What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
So do you have to make split-second decisions like Lockyer? Do you even have to think for yourself in the NFL?

By the way a game of league doesn't take 4 hours, and there aren't players who are only required if the team is on offence or defence.

Yea we do make our decisions in Girdiron..and i wasnt mocking league..the game takes 3hours, not 4.

How much work does a winger do on most plays? not much..everyone knows this.

Gridiron has everyone doing something during the play, also you wont get exhausted after one play..it usually takes 4 plays to get me tired.

And just because we are told what to do it doesnt mean we are dumber for instance do you have any idea how hard it is to remember 60 plays on offense? and the routes and everything that the recivers have to be doing during the play?

Or how as a QB you get 3 seconds to scan the entire defense and look for an open reciver..

Have you ever done those sprints where you run 40m then run back? cause thats how it is to play CB..and then you take a 15second breather and do it again and again and again.. and its not just sprinting its reading and breaking up a play so we do alot of work each and every play.

Both sports have there weaknesses but to claim that gridiron doesnt require as much fitness is bs.

McLovin

Staff member
I remember reading the paper a few years back were some big bopper (and i suspect most of them) in the NFL who plays the defensive blocker position would rather take money that living to an old age. He said that the pressure put on his body would result in years taken off his life. Fair dinkum...

NPK

Bench
That's because he is a fat f**k who is unfit - of course he's in bad health.

camsmith

Juniors
Some of you guys really need to do some research and find out the actually how fast some of the linemen they are, for how big they are they run the 40 pretty bloody fast.. i might look it up later if i can be stuffed.

canberra_raiders2k2, Its useless trying to explain to these guys who dont follow or play Gridiron how pysically demanding it actually is on your body. I started playing Gridiron two years ago as a WR/CB thinking that it would be pretty easy, run, catch... have a break.. etc.. But for instance, as WR, every play you sprint your heart out, wether you get the ball or not... you might be 50 meters down the field.. you gotta get back, get the play and then get back to the line and do it all over again... you dont get a break.

Anything i say would be ignored by people who already have a (misguided) opinion on the differences or the NFL compared to the NRL. You really wouldnt know the difference unless you have closely followed to the two sports or played both, and many people in here it seems have only watched a few games of NFL and have no idea what would be going on, so if thats the case it must mean its a crap sport played by stupid fat guys who get a 40 second break between each play. LOL i dont think so.

On EVERY play every man in the team needs to do their job correctly to have success in the NFL, as opposed to only about 3 - 4 players in each tackle for the NRL.
I love both sports with a passion, and obviously on an NRL board asking this question you will get 90% saying that NRL guys are better/fitter etc.. which doesnt tell me anything.

ozhawk66

Juniors
*Paul* said:
Does beg the question.. From kickoff to fulltime - must be, what 90 minutes, 2 hours? How long is the ball actually in play I wonder, it'd be close the to lowest in all "athletic" type sports. Cricket and baseball would probably be lower.

Actually, there is no real difference between league and NFL in duration of ball or players actually in play. The big diff between the two sports is continuous/flow in league and the scrum started every play in American football.

While league players are pacing themselves DURING normal play of the ball, when they are not involved on the play/tackle (which is 80% of the time)....every player on the NFL field is involved on every play. Rugby fans just don't see the game BETWEEN the plays.

Rugby fans are basically used to seeing the same thing over and over in normal play of the ball, for the most part. This is the checkers part of footy.

In football, every play unto itself is much more important than any given normal play of the ball in league. One or two plays amounts to a full series of six in league. Real estate is MUCH harder to come by on American football field. This is the chess part of football. Ho does my team get 10 yds ?

How does my team get 7 yds in the next two plays?

How does my team get 6 inches in one chance?

Chess vs checkers.

While the checker team is playing bumper cars, the chess team is playing a violent game of chicken and take.

ozhawk66

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
Nah, im just not into sh*thouse, long boring games full of dickheads wearing huge pads which should be over in a n a half or 2 hours tops n last 3 n a half to 4 hours. How boring!

The long part comes from your attention span - the boring part is in the eye of and where one is brought up.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Salfordcityred said:
Firstly Ozhawk66, why the heck are you coming onto a RUGBY LEAGUE forum blowing the trumpet of a FOREIGN sport?
Gridiron isnt even played professionally in Australia, the UK etc...
Its a game based on HYPE just like BAseball and most things AMERICAN.
If you are an Aussie, why do you follow a silly AMERICAN sport but then come onto a forum of this nations 2nd BIGGEST SPORT and start patronising the game with the joke of a game NFL is?
Answers on a A4 sized postcard please.....

If you read closer, you'd know I'm not an Aussie.

Coming into a league forum? I like debate over flaming and I'm sure I'll esplain why I started this thread in the 1st place.

Don't people of any football code like good discussion?

ozhawk66

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Drug policy, haha. If a player wants to take drugs they won't get caught. The only ones that get caught are incredibly stupid or have unwittingly taken cold tablets or something else. It's not just NFL, it's basically every sport.

Enlightened IQ of (specific) topic here.

hrundi99

First Grade
NFL not helping in blubber battle
Sports commentary
Evan Rudd
Assistant Sports Editor
March 09, 2005

Forget about the long-term health effects of steroids on professional athletes. Today's players are in the midst of an entirely different epidemic that is sweeping across the nation.

America is fat. Really fat. Our culture of fast food has caused the belly of the average American to swell in recent years, making us one of the most obese countries in the world.

As Americans, we take pride in our favorite pastimes of eating meat, drinking beer, and of course, watching sports--especially football, a game cherished for its carnage and brutality where behemoths of men bash each other around. It is the only sport in the world besides sumo wrestling where a 350-pound goon can be considered an athletic icon.

Because professional sports are a microcosm of society, it is no surprise the average weight of NFL players has risen as the rest of the country has packed on the pounds.

A study released March 1 in the Journal of the American Medical Association examined the enormity of NFL players using the body mass index, a formula that measures the ratio of height to weight. The study found that 56 percent of players were obese, 26 percent were severely obese and 3 percent were morbidly obese.

Is anyone really shocked by these findings? Look at the offensive lines of every team in the NFL. They aren't men, they're houses.

These guys are blubbery, overpowering masses that have made a career of being gigantic.

History shows a trend toward the attitude that bigger means better. Twenty years ago, there were only five players in the league who weighed more than 300 pounds. Now, there are 339 who weigh more than 300 pounds, according to espn.com.

It's not just linemen who have beefed up. Dante Culpepper of the Minnesota Vikings has re-defined the ideal body type of a quarterback as the heaviest in the league at 260 pounds. That's not to say that Culpepper is fat. But come on, the man outweighs me by more than 100 pounds.

The NFL discredited the results of the study, saying that BMI testing is not an accurate means of measuring obesity because many players are very muscular, and the test did not take into account body fat percentage. Culpepper is a perfect example. Just because he outweighs most linebackers in the league doesn't make him fat. In fact, the man is incredibly ripped.

Despite the NFL's position, fans can see that there is a big problem with many NFL players. People should be aware that these athletes have a substantially greater risk of heart disease, diabetes and developing arthritis from carrying around all that extra weight.

This trend of humongous football players has a ripple effect that can be seen in the youth of America. Childhood obesity is at an all-time high and it is no secret that football players are role models for kids.

I am concerned for that high school lineman who feels he has to eat a few extra slices of pizza to make the varsity squad. Remember Billy Bob from the movie "Varsity Blues"? His size was an asset to his team, and he had to be fat to play his position. But after high school, I bet Billy Bob turned into Billy Slob, a sloppy, depressed version of himself.

Size is crucial in the NFL, but I think the league should take more steps to promote a healthier image of its players. Something has to be done to counteract the ever-expanding waistlines of America's youth.

I'm sure the players can make a difference if they just put their weight into it.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
So because players get knocked unconscious, it's a better game?

It sounds like a suicide pact to me.

Don't equate the physical nature of the NFL as me saying it's "better" in the sense I'm questioning toughness of NRL players......I never implied that on the talent level, unless your talking 18 year old teenagers playing pro league.

It's just one of the noticeable differences I've noticed between the two sports since I've been watching league - and I'm on my 6th season, averaging 2-3 matches a week. And that's without watching Friday Night footy, and the tape-delayed Sat/Sun matches.

Bomber

Bench
ozhawk66 said:
Don't equate the physical nature of the NFL as me saying it's "better" in the sense I'm questioning toughness of NRL players......I never implied that on the talent level, unless your talking 18 year old teenagers playing pro league.

It's just one of the noticeable differences I've noticed between the two sports since I've been watching league - and I'm on my 6th season, averaging 2-3 matches a week. And that's without watching Friday Night footy, and the tape-delayed Sat/Sun matches.

Don't hang that kind of sh*t on me, buster. You've come here specifically to diminish league on a rugby league forum - how bloody stupid is that? You were clearly saying that because more serious injuries happen in the NFL, it is somehow 'better', even more 'awesome' (in the original meaning of the word) than league.

Just accept it - lots of people love league and hate NFL!

Get over it!

Bugger off!

NPK

Bench
Nice article Hrundi. That proved my point about the obese players who call themselves athletes.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
ozhawk, let's get something straight right out of the blocks ok, Rugby and Rugby League are two different things.

No kidding? What's next, 2+2=4? Does it make you feel better by stating the obvios in front of others?

If you want to argue the relative merits of two games, make sure you actually know what to call the other one first.

Uh huh. And so far, I've at least tried to keep it too comparable aspects of the game and or each sports counterparts.

I happen to enjoy the NFL but have absolutely no doubt that players from the NFL wouldn't last in the NRL.

Blond, ditzy females in in the states also like the game. Doesn't mean they know anything about it. And your NFL not lasting in the NRL comment confirms your, blond, non-knowing feminine side.

NFL players are bigger because they have to be.

Of course they are, in order to absorb the punishment that is the violent game of American football.

The nature of the game in short, explosive increments means that the one single thing that can be relegated is stamina and in most cases that's swapped for size and/or explosive speed.

Wrong answer concerning stamina. Every player TRYING to enter the NFL is tested on a great many attribites. One testing aspect of "stamina" is how many times a player can bech 225 lbs. Then they test that aerobic "stamina" in a multitude of ways.....at a later date....and or on the same day......or look at your collgiate footage etc.... get the point yet?

Stamina is critical in NRL players. Good NFL running backs average 100 metres per game,

More or less.Your problem here is that these backs take a pounding on each and every play thats on a very different level in rugby/league/

good Forwards in the NRL average 150 per game. One plays over 80 minutes, one plays over 4 hours.

Over 80 minutes? not even close. Don't try that one with me. A linebacker has 60-70 collisions a game. And he has to deal with men anywhere from 60-120 lbs heavier than himself!!!!!

No NFL player could play an NRL match and last the distance, they wouldn't even get close.

You really wanna go there? Go ahead and take yourself for read. Be careful, I lost a great one, as a fan, in this article..........

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/wiley/020801.html

How many tackles does a running back make in a season?

The stupid answer would be.....how many multiple hits does a RB endure on eac and every hit/tackle......by himself.

Less than the average NRL forward makes in one match.

Now join the real world.

When you don't have to be moving, tackling and running for 40 minutes without a break,

Thi is where your ognorance of the sport shines........

you can be bigger and get away with it. The explosive running backs and wide receivers from the NFL would last 10 minutes in Rugby League,

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best the NRL has to offer has NOOOO IDEA on the training regiment to be that fast and big. Remember, the likes of Bott aren't even a dime a dozen in the NFL. Bott would have a hard time gettin into a decent college team back in the states.

then they'd be run over for the next 70 by League players.

This is where I'd like to hear how a much smaller and slower NRL player is trying to run over someone MUCH bigger, faster and stronger.......

The linemen would be lucky to last 10 minutes.

Against who? These linemen laugh at those who can't handle being killed,tackled or just play the game.

Imagine a forward coming into league; the age of 21/22 years old. He is 6' 7' 1/2......weighs 145+ kgs (is not fat) and is fast as most of the players on the NRL field?

NFL players have plenty of attributes but the pace and continuous action of Rugby League would find them out quicky.

The so called 'pace' in league is American football players are used too in practice.

Read up on Manfred Moore. He was a top NFL player and a completely sh*t Rugby League player.

No, you link him for me. Every rugby/league player trying to make in in the NFL never pans out the way it's said.

Christ, the NFL has ex-AFL players playing in it and AFL is a sport for complete pussies. Compare those two, they at least have that in common.

Tell me how many AFL players have made it in the NFL - and be very carefull with your answer.

Fact is, the two games are too different to compare. One is non-stop over 80 minutes and the other is stop-start over 4 hours.

Keep it to comparable aspects/athletes of each sport and don't even try and back up the non-stop 80 minute garbage in league.

If Rugby League had an offensive 13 and a defensive 13, there may be a comparison. As that isn't the case, a comparison based on anything you're throwin up is just plain stupid.

Now, take a hike you weirdo.

So far, you've proven to be a stupid weirdo.

Bomber

Bench
No wide-spread steroid use in the NFL?

mulitalo.jpg

Check out the bitch-tits on him!

According to Mister Dickhead, he can hack it in the NRL....

ozhawk66

Juniors
brenno said:
Is it imposed as strictly as MLB's policy on steroids?
Fair dinkum even a blind ferrett with a half brain can see that very few of these blokes aren't on the juice.

More strictly. Not only is the NFL increasing their roid policy, they started roid testing back in the late 80's.

Put it this way; caught, you'll be given a 2nd chance........2nd or even 3rd time, and your career is gone.

Lets just say the NFL tests at a MUCH higher level than win the NRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts