What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choppies

Coach
ROGER FEDERER IS A FRAUD!!!!!
This is according to Fatty McFats Tennis coach
The amazing athlete Fatty McFats who will be the best NFL player ever in a few years used to play Tennis as a youngster.

McFats quit the game because he didnt like the rule saying you couldn't eat while playing and the fact that he couldn't get into the court as according to him the doorways were too small.

Its a real shame that Fatty McFats quit the game of Tennis :cry:
I mean that could have been HIM winning all those Grand Slams not that fraud Federer.
I mean how hard is it to make bigger doorways for players?
Thats discrimination.

monaroCountry

Juniors
You really don't wanna compare catastrophic type of injuries between the two sports. Cept for paralysis and multiple face fractures, those examples are weekly occurrences.
Do you have any more articles to back up your claim? seeing as they are a weekly occurance. BTW that injury you pointed out isnt what I would call, life or career threatening.

Originally Posted by Everlovin' Antichrist
Post #1156 2.02am
Post #1157. 2.07am

You mean those?

ozhawk66 said:
Nice try. Now if you could have shown me where I said goodnight (ladies) and then came back with those posts, you would have something to stand on. As per usual, you do not.

Twat. I said you posted at 2am and you did.

Your argument against that is?

EA said:
Passing for a start numbnuts.
EA said:
Kicking, when was the last time an NFL player chipped over the linemen?

ozhawk66 said:
It's not part of the game, stupid. When was the last time Andrew Johns threw a legal, forward pass?

Here we go again.

You're a f**king idiot.

You're the one claiming that NFL players could play NRL, no one here has claimed that Andrew Johns could walk into the NFL.

EA said:
The games and players can’t be compared. Simple.

ozhawk66 said:
Comparable aspects/positions can be compared. You're just scared to do so and lean on the games can't be compared, yet you just tried the game of comparing non-comparable aspects of the game. It's a stupid debate trick that doesn't work. Try again.

Try again?

There is no debate.

Pretty convincing argument isn't it?

Dork.

EA said:
American Football and Rugby League ceased to be similar decades ago.

ozhawk66 said:
Try centuries.

Try another drug...

EA said:
No, they’re totally different. I know it, Helen Keller knows it, everyone else knows it, but you don’t.
EA said:
Take a guess why?

ozhawk66 said:
Tackles in football generally happen much faster than league tackles. Much faster, even Helen can hear the diff.

Every sentence is a revolution in idiocy.

How many tackles are there in an average NFL game, and over what period of time are those tackles made?

Do the same sums for an NRL game.

Cretin.

EA said:
No they haven’t.
EA said:
No NFL player could play in the NRL without years of training.

ozhawk66 said:
Idiot, they do have/run similar running/tackling drills and are basics from the very beginning used up to the NFL ranks. You just don't realize this.

Moron.

I've already said some of the training is similar, but the games aren't.

No NFL player could play in the NRL without years of training.

Based on what you're suggesting, an AFL player could play in the NFL, apart from being a punter, because the "training is similar"... LOL

EA said:
Yes, it is. Here in my world called planet Earth.
EA said:
And I know why you’re regurgitating the insults, you ran out at about page 4…

ozhawk66 said:
Your version of Terra Firma ain't ground based, that's fer sure.

lol

But you're a Seppo, your opinion on other people's mental states is automatically irrelevant......

ozhawk66 said:
Of course it is. I read and write English, you don’t.

EA said:
Not. That's why you missed the spelling I pointed out. Now if you could find the word that you misspelled, you gots another cookie.

Nah, you've got nothing.

You claim it but never re-post it for one of two reasons, it's either a typo or you're wrong. You seem to think that everyone here should be perfect in spelling and grammar, whilst you have no grasp of either.

Get your own shop in order first dumbarse.

If someone picked your typos/errors in this thread, it'd fill two pages...

ozhawk66 said:
Idiot response with the lame towel joke. No wonder you are one.

Yeah, I should give the jokes a miss, after all, every post of yours is a joke anyway......

ozhawk66 said:
And saying 17/18 year olds can't play in the NFL is not an opinion. It's fact. The fact that no 18 year old, not even close, by the way, has ever played or ever will play in the NFL is something you cannot bring yourself to admit. It shows your willingly ignorance to rationalize the real world that makes up the NFL and the one you choose to live in.

No.

Why is your head so thick?

You cannot claim that 18 years olds can't physically play in the NRL.

All you can say is that 18 year olds aren't allowed to play in the NFL.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Oh, that's right, you're an imbecile.

ozhawk66 said:
And it's a very different world from college and high school football.

Who said it wasn't?

ozhawk66 said:
Idiot :lol: It was the word itself and you didn't even get it! :lol: No wonder the phopah joke went over your head.

hahahahaahah

And you posted that in bold?

The phopah joke?

The phopah joke doesn't exist, well, not from your side anyway. As if there's anything you could put over the top of anyone.

Here's a "h", you're missing is so much I thought I'd give you one for free...

If there was a spelling bee in LU you'd be out before oneye....

hahahaahah

It's like the other typo, you just hang on for all you've got don't you?

Very funny. The typo fairy has nothing on you. Except probably an ability to read and write English.....

Should we check on the amount of typos that you've made?

I'll bet that if someone did, there's be at least 30 of yours here....

There's two of mine, that you know of.....

ozhawk66 said:
You be a major fO-"pä.

That's foe pah dopey....

Dog-E

Juniors
I just like the concept of the kickers in the NFL!...What tremendous athletes THEY are, eh??

Saunter on every so often.....give the ball a bit of thong - from RIGHT SMACK BANG IN FRONT mind u!....then wave to the crowd.....and go sit back down on the bench - with nary a hair out of place & collect your multi-million dollar paycheck from the coach!

Now THAT's what i call a sweet deal - HOW DO I GET A JOB LIKE THAT!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Every damn kick from right in front...Hazem el Masri would retire with a 101% lifetime kicking success rate if he were an NFL kicker! :lol:

EA said:
Idiot. No one said it, that's the point.
EA said:

Whether it could happen is irrelevant because no one would try.

goatgobbler said:
And you can prove this how?

Prove what?

That you're stupid?

You do that, I don't need to prove it while you're here.

EA said:
Just as no NFL player would try Rugby League.

ozhawk66 said:
Not enough money.

derrrrr.

Was I not succinct enough for you?

EA said:
Wait, that's not right, a few have tried and they were all dismal failures.....

ozhawk66 said:
And you can cite these dismal failures by name? I din't think so.

din't?

Another new word or, dare I say it, a phopah?

Manfred Moore for example?

Let's re-cap your reaction to a post by Bomber that included an article on Manfred shall we?

Originally Posted by Bomber
Manfred Moore:

http://www.rl1908.com/Rugby-League-News/manfred.htm

ozhawk66 said:
I don't have time to dive into the full length of that article, but it's amazing, so far. I wanted a lot of legit discussion, when I came to this forum, but this article has blown me, so far.
ozhawk66 said:

I've been taken back from the premise of this story.....so far...

Note the statements in bold...

"but he's a great tacking and defensive player - his tackling is deadly. "

Technique was great, until he actually got into a game......

lol

"And I think will be the start of a hell of a lot American footballers coming here."

Yeah, we were overrun with them.

Not Frank Farrington's finest moment...

Dog-E said:
I just like the concept of the kickers in the NFL!...What tremendous athletes THEY are, eh??

Saunter on every so often.....give the ball a bit of thong - from RIGHT SMACK BANG IN FRONT mind u!....then wave to the crowd.....and go sit back down on the bench - with nary a hair out of place & collect your multi-million dollar paycheck from the coach!

Now THAT's what i call a sweet deal - HOW DO I GET A JOB LIKE THAT!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Every damn kick from right in front...Hazem el Masri would retire with a 101% lifetime kicking success rate if he were an NFL kicker! :lol:

They're a joke.

Every kick is from in-front, the only thing that changes is the distance and that's only from Field Goals, conversions are always from the same distance.

Hazem is better than all of them put together...

ozhawk66 said:
A little education for the likes of EA on his comprehension prob of the concept of boys playing with men. These were some reactions when Clarett's lawyer found the right lower court to try and get his way.

Fact EA, NOT opinion....

genius.

You're proving my point.

Choppies said:
BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Future NFL hall of famer Fatty McFats has been called upon by the US Olympic team to compete in 2008.
Fatty will compete in all sports from the 100 metre sprint to equestrian to bring many a gold to the USA.

The call from the US Olympic team came when Fatty and his family were sitting around in their trailer eating fried chicken.
"ah man my Momma was so excited when she heard the news she choked on a chicken wing"

A Spokesman for the US Olympic team said "We know its years but we think Fatty is the perfect all around athlete for the team I mean he will be playing in the NFL if he dont have a heart attack before the draft."

As we Americans know nothing can compare to the NFL as we have never seen anything else.
Just a reminder that the "we're insular and we love it that way" T-shirt will soon be avaliable from www.fatyankt-shirts.com

:lol:

Dog-E

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
They're a joke.

Every kick is from in-front, the only thing that changes is the distance and that's only from Field Goals, conversions are always from the same distance.

Hazem is better than all of them put together...

They dont do JACK!!!

Someone even goes and fetches & places the ball for them!...Now how bone idle lazy is that, I ask you!?? :lol:

Snoop

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
me said:
I'm still intrigued as to the nature of 'phopah'. I think I've narrowed down the possibilities. It is possibly:

1. a double entendre
2. pop culture slang
3. post-modernist attack on the confines of language itself
4. rebellion against French colonisation in Africa and Indo-China
5. protest against France's refusal to join the war in Iraq
6. a teddy bear maker
7. a lesson as to why phonetics and spelling are two different beasts
8. a spelling mistake

I'm not sure which one it is but I'm gunning for 3 with 8 firming as the dark horse.
fO-"pä

I'll take that as a vote for 7.

Dog-E said:
They dont do JACK!!!

Someone even goes and fetches & places the ball for them!...Now how bone idle lazy is that, I ask you!?? :lol:

Wait a sec - the NFL kicker has only a few seconds to get his kick away, as the defense is rushing at him. The center snap and the hold have to be just right, and done very quickly. There's a lot of pressure.

The rugby kicker, on penalty kicks and converts, has all the time in the world to place the ball on a tee just the way he wants it, then he has, what, a minute to stand there and prepare the kick before taking it.

Now, the drop kick during play is another matter. I'm always impressed by the accuracy of Johnny Wilkinson on kicks like his WC winner.

Could an NFL player convert successfully to RL? Let's look at the case of Dan Lyle, a great athlete who was just short of NFL calibre, who became a great rugby player. (I know it's union not league, but still a valid example IMO.)

[font=Helvetica,Arial]Huge Splash Across the Pond[/font]

Would-be NFL tight end Dan Lyle has taken up a new game -- and reinvented it
bullet_sm.gif

Tuesday September 28, 1999

[font=helvetica,arial]Lyle found the perfect outlet for his athletic skills. Jamie McDonald/Allsport[/font]

By Grant Wahl

The son of a two-star Army general, Dan Lyle wants it known that he loves his country, he really does. It's just that, by choosing obscurity in England over glitz in the States -- the Bath Rugby Club over the Minnesota Vikings -- Lyle surely violated some law dating back to the Revolutionary War. "All my friends were saying, Go to Minnesota, you idiot!" says Lyle, who weighed simultaneous offers from the two teams in 1996. "But some of the best experiences of my life had been in rugby, and one reason I left football in the first place was that the turnover is so high and the guarantees are so low. I finally decided if you enjoy what you're doing, why spoil a good thing?"

Lyle told the NFL to take a hike, and three years later, on the eve of next month's Rugby World Cup, he's the first American to be considered among the best players on the planet. So smitten with him is the London Sunday Times that last year it named Lyle, 28, to its World 15 international all-star team. "For a big guy he has absolutely staggering athleticism, and his dexterity with the ball is amazing," says Stephen Jones, the Times's rugby correspondent since 1983. "He's probably one of the most extraordinary players I've ever seen."

How could this happen? How in just five years could a part-time Bennigan's waiter and aspiring NFL tight end take up rugby, sign with the world's most storied club and redefine the number 8 flanker position? What's more, if Lyle could do it, how good would the U.S. be if other talented football players -- Barry Sanders, we know you're listening -- followed Lyle to the field where sissydom is defined by helmets and pads?

In England, where the 6'4", 245-pound Lyle is both a marvel and a Marvel Comics character (CAPTAIN AMERICA! screamed one tabloid), his secret is simple. He combines the skills developed in common American sports -- football, basketball and soccer -- with a blessed disregard for English stuffiness. Take kickoffs. While most rugby teams allow their opponents to catch kickoffs, Lyle barrels downfield and leaps for his own team's hanging boot as though he were Jerry Rice. "Dan is universally regarded as the greatest regatherer of kicks in the U.K.," says Jones. Take pitches. Three or four times a match he will toss a behind-the-back or over-the-head pass à la Larry Bird, astounding the Brits. "To me it's a natural thing, but they're so traditional," Lyle says. "They had never really been exposed to Americans playing their sport, and they didn't know how to react."

Add to that flair a soccer sweeper's defensive vision, a running back's ability to break tackles and a basketball forward's 36 1/2-inch vertical leap (the better to catch line-outs, rugby's inbounds play), and it's easy to understand why U.S. coach and general manager Jack Clark says, "Athletically, Dan is a bit of a freak."

Freakish is probably the best way to describe Lyle's rise through the rugby ranks. It began in spring 1993, when he was living outside Washington, working as a waiter and hoping for a call from an NFL team. Lyle had gone undrafted despite his success at Virginia Military Institute, where he was the third-leading receiver in school history. On a lark one weekend his cousin Mark Casey invited Lyle to play a match with the Washington Rugby Club in Kenilworth Park. "It was the greatest thrill of my life," Lyle says. "Here was a combination of every sport I'd ever played, a sport that was all about attacking. In college I had been a receiver on a wishbone offense, so I caught only 30 balls a year. Now I could go get the ball."

It wasn't long before Clark, who lives in Berkeley, Calif., heard the buzz about the football player who was terrorizing the D.C. rugby scene on weekends. At a club tournament in Hartford that summer, Clark met Lyle for the first time. "Word had gotten out that I was looking for athletes who didn't necessarily have much rugby experience," Clark says. "Dan looked very much the business. His hands were twice the size of a normal man's, and his body was clearly NFL material."

Without even seeing Lyle play, Clark invited him to the next U.S. training camp in Riverside, Calif., where Lyle's first attempt at catching a kickoff made his coach's jaw drop, cartoonlike, to the turf. "On kickoffs you need to have great timing, sprinter's speed and flypaper hands," says Clark. "Well, the first time Dan ran down a kickoff he was better at it than anyone else in the world. He didn't know anything else about what to do out there, but it didn't matter. We could teach him all that."

After a couple of failed tryouts with the Washington Redskins, Lyle began traveling with the national team, moved to Aspen, Colo. (rugby's summer hotbed), and in October 1994 -- just 14 months after taking up the sport -- earned man-of-the-match honors in his first game for the U.S., against Ireland. He won them again in his second appearance as the Americans beat Canada on the road for the first time, 15-14. In May 1996, he approached a scout from Bath who had come to look at one of his U.S. teammates. "I went up to him and said, 'I'll be the biggest, strongest, fastest flanker you've ever had,'" Lyle says. "You know, the whole Jack Nicholson thing. You want me on that wall. You need me on that wall."

Rugby had just gone professional in England, and Bath, the six-time national champion, took a look at the cocky American and made him an offer: one year, $52,000, no guarantees. At the same time the Vikings had another deal on the table: one year, $116,000 base, no guarantees. As Lyle pondered his decision for a month, Minnesota grew impatient. He had to choose, and he picked Bath.

At Bath, Lyle's learning curve was "exponential, almost inverted," he says. He was man of the match in his first-team debut, a nationally televised showdown against rival Harlequins, and soon took over as the starting number 8, a position right behind the scrum that demands the skills of both a fullback and a middle linebacker. At the end of the 1996-97 season he was named the English Premiership's newcomer of the year and one of five finalists for player of the year. That was nothing, though, compared with the following season, when Lyle led Bath to a 19-18 victory over the French club Brive in the European championship before 50,000 fans in Bordeaux, France.

Lyle's astonishing rugby feats have spawned wild-eyed conjecture among the sport's American fans: What if more football players took up rugby? "They all say overseas that whenever we take this game seriously, we'll beat everyone, and it's true," says Lyle. "If I could get some All-Pros and train them in rugby, we'd go out and kick ass. Hell, I'll take all those guys who were second-team All-SEC but didn't make the NFL, guys who don't want to work for $25,000 a year at Kmart when they could be full-time athletes making $100,000, playing a sport that's pretty damn fun."

That said, he won't have them for the five-week-long Rugby World Cup, the world's third-most-watched sporting event (behind soccer's World Cup and the Olympics). Besides Lyle, the only U.S. player who was a football standout is French-born flanker Richard Tardits, who became the alltime sack leader at Georgia and had a four-year NFL career with the Arizona Cardinals and the New England Patriots. Despite a recent 106-8 loss to England, the Americans are optimistic. Ranked 17th in the world, they have upset Canada, Fiji and Tonga this year, a remarkable feat for a World Cup team that doesn't field an entire lineup of professional players. (The unpaid players on the U.S. roster include two landscapers, a substitute teacher, a miner and a chiropractor.)

The Yanks have gone 1-5 in their two World Cup appearances, in 1987 and '91, and if they are to fulfill their goal of reaching the second round this year, they'll almost certainly have to win twice: against Ireland in their Oct. 2 opener -- in Dublin -- and against Romania. (The Eagles' other opponent in the first-round round-robin is Australia, a tournament favorite.) "We're playing against guys who've played the game since they were five and have every resource," says Lyle. "We don't have that, but we do have a great will."

They also have a transcendent player, one who's making from $200,000 to $250,000 a year and has no regrets about dissing the NFL. "No one's going to offer me a million dollars to play American football, and I'd never give up the experiences I've had in rugby," says Lyle. Besides, he has at least two World Cups in his future, and he points out that rugby may reappear in the 2004 Olympics after an 80-year hiatus. "Did you know we're the reigning Olympic champions?" he says. "Paris, 1924. I'll bet nobody in America knows that."

Nobody in America knows Dan Lyle, either. The way he's taking over his new sport, that may be about to change.

"The first time Dan ran down a kickoff," says Clark, "he was better at it than anyone in the world." [size=-1]Issue date: Sept. 6, 1999[/size]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rugby/world_cup/news/1999/09/14/si_lyle/#more

Bold highlights are mine. There are many better athletes than Lyle in the NFL.

It's Union and I've never heard of him. Don't get confused Steve, there's a massive difference between playing Union for Bath and playing in the NRL.

CanadianSteve said:
Wait a sec - the NFL kicker has only a few seconds to get his kick away, as the defense is rushing at him. The center snap and the hold have to be just right, and done very quickly. There's a lot of pressure.

The rugby kicker, on penalty kicks and converts, has all the time in the world to place the ball on a tee just the way he wants it, then he has, what, a minute to stand there and prepare the kick before taking it.

Now, the drop kick during play is another matter. I'm always impressed by the accuracy of Johnny Wilkinson on kicks like his WC winner.

It sounds to me like the bloke who catches the ball has the tougher job.

A lot of the problems they encounter are negated by the fact that all the kicks are from in front....

Wilkinson is a nice person.

Dog-E

Juniors
LOL...bring these Yankee doodle dandy rugger-buggers ON then!!

Typical good old, down home Mom & apple pie US of A arrogance "Ahhhhh we'd beat Y'AAAALLLLLLLL - if we tried or cared!" :lol:

As for the limited time the NFL kickers have....Well I'm sure the kicker isn't standing there braiding his teammates hair, as all his 150kg buddies take several minutes to line up opposite each other after the touchdown - No - He'd be THINKING HARD ABOUT THE KICK!!!...And I am no NFL watcher or fan - but from whatever I HAVE seen - I don't see these kicker miss TOO many of them!...And I still STRONGLY believe that - a high-level professional Rugby League or Union kicker would CLEAN UP as a kicker in the US!...Be absolutely like shooting fish in a barrell for the likes of El Masri...Wilkinson...and a HOSt of others!

ozhawk66

Juniors
More important crap going on in the real world than to play with the insignificant and their flame-games tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.