What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog-E

Juniors
Mate - We are ALL saddened by what has happened - I had family & friends in London - who i now know are thankfully all Ok - bar one mate I havent been able to get hold of yet!...But it was an anxious couple of hours there for a while!!!

But life must go on...These sad terrorist MUTHAf**kERS - will not disrupt life as we know it!!!!!!!...That's what these merkins WANT! :evil:

So.....

No doubt NFL players are TOUGH!...Observe:

boom19ip.jpg

And no doubt Rugby players are just...well - Rugby players - specially ENGLISH ones - observe:

falconenglandru5jl.jpg

But Rugby League players - they OWN THEM ALL in terms of skill & all-round athleticism!

willaimssbbang5wm.jpg

Discussion OVER!

Heheh!
;)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL players aren't tough, they are clumsy unfit people. Snooker players are more athletic than NFL players

Dog-E

Juniors
Right.

I'll send # 26 above round to your joint to see, then shall I...?

Won't be hearing from you for like...well - EVER afterwards!...Worth paying his airfare IMO!...If I take up a collection round here - he'd be over there in NO time! :D

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
It's Union and I've never heard of him. Don't get confused Steve, there's a massive difference between playing Union for Bath and playing in the NRL.

Really? Both are high level club competitions aren't they?

It seems to me that union is the more complex game, harder to learn than league. The only leaguies able to switch to union are wingers, and even then Wendell Sailor hasn't really caught on to the game so well. So if this American could switch to union and play #8 at a high level, surely he or someone like him would have a chance at making it in league.

yankeeboy

Juniors
The English Zurich/Guinness Premiership (new sponsor from 2005) is a much higher standard of play than the Tooheys New Cup and Telstra QLD Premier Rugby because the internationals play in the cup. The Wallabies don't play in the Tooheys New Cup.

The Heineken/H Cup is the premier European club comp, comparable to the Super 14. However, 24 club sides play in the HC, so the talent is much more widely spread out, and the best players don't get to play if their club doesn't place high enough. For example, of the 12 Zurich clubs, only 6 (Sale, Leeds, Leicester, Saracens, Bath, and Wasps) play in the HC. Some of the world's best RU players (like Carlos Spencer and Andrew Mehrtens) won't be in the HC because their clubs didn't qualify. Mehrts won't even be in the Guinness Premiership, because the club he signed for, Harlequins, has been relegated to the Second Division (I forget the proper name). Jonny Wilkinson isn't in the HC either, because Newcastle Falcons didn't qualify.

I would say that the difference between European and SANZAR rugby would probably be comparable to the difference between ESL and the NRL. So Dan Lyle playing for Bath would be like he played for Hull FC.

You haven't heard of Dan Lyle because he doesn't play for a major nation that Australia would compete with, so unless you are in the habit of looking up USA Eagles or Canada scores, you wouldn't have heard of any North American rugby players.

And the games really aren't different, Union and League. Lyle's conversion is like an American footballer converting to play Lock in RL.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dog-E said:
Right.

I'll send # 26 above round to your joint to see, then shall I...?

Won't be hearing from you for like...well - EVER afterwards!...Worth paying his airfare IMO!...If I take up a collection round here - he'd be over there in NO time! :D
what?

yankeeboy

Juniors
"Clumsy, unfit people?" Your bullsh*t has no backing in truth.

Regardless of which sport you prefer, you can't call any NFL player unfit, and you can't call any non-lineman clumsy. Have you ever seen the footwork of some wide receivers, having to complete a route, and then make sure they don't go into touch.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
i see they don't have the strength to take on defenders, they need big fat bastards to push them all out of the way for them.

yankeeboy

Juniors
Does anybody know how much money in fines Hazem has accumulated for going over the 90-second "shot clock" on his conversions? Just from rewatching last year's GF, he has to take at least 2 mins. per kick.

On an RL conversion, even though it might not be directly in front, the player can take as much time as he wants. And the opponents are usually at least 20m away, and I never see RL players try to charge down a conversion. Are they even allowed to, like in Union?

In American football, conversions are always kicked right in front, 20 yds out. However, the ball must be snapped, find its way to the holder, set up straight, and kicked w/o a tee (all they get is a raised platform, and I don't know if they can use these in the NFL) all before the defense, who are 7 yards from the spot of the kick, break through and charge you down.

American football kickers are under a lot more pressure than Hazem or any other RL or RU kicker. However, few NFL kickers could kick a sideline conversion (Gary Anderson, a South African, might be able to). That is one thing that RL place kickers have over AF kickers.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well clap clap, if its such a great skill you'd think they'd get more than one point for it.
:lol:

yankeeboy

Juniors
Well, the defenders are not 10m away when the ball is snapped, they are 1 yd away. To get a 10m head start makes it much easier for the little guys in RL than in American football.

But they aren't clumsy or unfit. And no RL player has to go through players the size of NFL linemen. NFL linemen average over 300 lbs. Are there any RL players who are this heavy?

They don't lack the strength to take on defenders...they still need to be tackled. They simply need linemen to make a gap for them, or else they would gain no yardage. Forward pass attempts aren't the best for accuracy, so you need the RBs and FBs to make "hit ups" to gain yardage.

However, if the line doesn't make you a hole, you have nowhere to run, and you are sacked for a loss of yardage. In RL, you should at least be able to gain 5m per hitup regardless of the speed you go. It isn't this way in American football.

yankeeboy

Juniors
Well, clap clap, the scoring system has remained unchanged for over 50 years. And we give 3 points for a field goal, which is as much as an RL penalty and drop goal put together.

Field goals are basically the same as PATs, but they are usually at least 10 yds further out, and can be up to 65 yds away from the posts.

So, clap clap, it is hard...why would you choose to attack such a stupid thing as how many points the scoring system gives?

That's like me saying, "If tries are more important to RL than kicking, why do they only give them 4 points, and not 5 as in RU or 6 as in AF?"

yankeeboy

Juniors
Dog-E said:
Mate - We are ALL saddened by what has happened - I had family & friends in London - who i now know are thankfully all Ok - bar one mate I havent been able to get hold of yet!...But it was an anxious couple of hours there for a while!!!

But life must go on...These sad terrorist MUTHAf**kERS - will not disrupt life as we know it!!!!!!!...That's what these merkins WANT! :evil:

So.....

No doubt NFL players are TOUGH!...Observe:

boom19ip.jpg

And no doubt Rugby players are just...well - Rugby players - specially ENGLISH ones - observe:

falconenglandru5jl.jpg

But Rugby League players - they OWN THEM ALL in terms of skill & all-round athleticism!

willaimssbbang5wm.jpg

Discussion OVER!

Heheh!
;)
How does that show that RL players own others "in terms of skill & all-round athleticism?"

I think that the NFL player looks like he is in much more pain than the Roosters player. The Rooster has one arm around his waist. You can tell that a Sonny Bill shoulder charge is coming, but if you took a person who had never seen either sport, and asked them which looked more painful, they would probably say the NO Saint getting his face mashed.

Besides, in American football, shoulder charging somebody usually doesn't knock them down. You actually need to wrap and drop them.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I didn't mention the scoring system. I mentioned that RL kickers have all the time in the world, while NFL kickers have maybe 10 seconds to kick.

If you are going to attack something, attack something I actually said.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
your whole post started about Rugby conversions and continued onto NFL kickers, and you only mentioned them kicking conversions.

Does anybody know how much money in fines Hazem has accumulated for going over the 90-second "shot clock" on his conversions? Just from rewatching last year's GF, he has to take at least 2 mins. per kick.

On an RL conversion, even though it might not be directly in front, the player can take as much time as he wants. And the opponents are usually at least 20m away, and I never see RL players try to charge down a conversion. Are they even allowed to, like in Union?

In American football, conversions are always kicked right in front, 20 yds out. However, the ball must be snapped, find its way to the holder, set up straight, and kicked w/o a tee (all they get is a raised platform, and I don't know if they can use these in the NFL) all before the defense, who are 7 yards from the spot of the kick, break through and charge you down.

American football kickers are under a lot more pressure than Hazem or any other RL or RU kicker. However, few NFL kickers could kick a sideline conversion (Gary Anderson, a South African, might be able to). That is one thing that RL place kickers have over AF kickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts