What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeeboy

Juniors
All NFL kickers do is kick Points After Touchdown and Field Goals, as well as maybe kick off in the beginning of a half or after a score. They don't punt, they don't tackle, all they do is kick "conversions."

Comparing the RL conversion/penalty to the American football one, you really can't dispute that from the front, the NFL kicker has the harder job.

Since there aren't sideline conversions in American football, you can't compare those aspects of the jobs.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't trying to, you were talking the gridiron kickers up to be quite superior, however i don't believe they are

madunit said:
well clap clap, if its such a great skill you'd think they'd get more than one point for it.
:lol:

The convert is almost automatic, because it's from up close and straight on. The NFL field goal, worth 3 points, is harder because it's usually from farther out and often at an angle. Not as wide an angle as a sideline kick in rugby however.

The best NFL kickers do make it look easy, but that doesn't take away from the difficulty I referred to earlier, since their kicks are a coordinated effort between snapper, holder, and kicker, done very quickly under extreme pressure.

If Hazem and other NRL kickers really could come over and do a better job, they probably would because they'd get paid more to kick in the NFL than they do to play in the NRL. Irish RU player Ronan O'Gara was weighing an offer to come to the NFL as a kicker a year or so ago - he would have been paid more if he'd made it, but he opted to stay with rugby for the chance to play for his country.

Decades ago NFL kickers did tend to be guys who played a position as well as kicked. But as the game has grown more specialized, they almost all are kickers only.

That specialization is at the heart of the debate in this thread (leaving out the flaming and grammar/spelling arguments:D ) RU and RL still value all-round skills, while the NFL has gone in the direction of having the best possible player for each individual job or skill in the game.

CanadianSteve said:
Really? Both are high level club competitions aren't they?

Fair enough, it was your choice.

Comparing the NRL to English Union Competition is like comparing the NFL to High School American Football in terms of professionalism.

Club Union is, and even Union people would probably agree, far below the next level up.

Just because the NRL and club Union in England are the highest club level either has doesn't mean they are comparable in terms of skill, fitness levels etc.

CanadianSteve said:
It seems to me that union is the more complex game, harder to learn than league.

You see the similarity between Union and American Football, both are technical games that get bogged down in the technical aspects rather than just getting on with it.

League is as tough as Union to learn. In fact,I found League a hell of a lot harder to learn and play than Union. Yes, I played both, a long time ago.

We have 4 major Winter ball sports here Steve, Rugby League, Australian Rules Football, Rugby Union and Soccer. How many does Canada have?

CanadianSteve said:
The only leaguies able to switch to union are wingers, and even then Wendell Sailor hasn't really caught on to the game so well.

Did I warn you that you'd f**k it up? lol

You're confusing the words "able to" for the words "that did".

Three high-profile Australian League players went to Union, all poached by the way, and all three represented in their first season.

The last player who came to League from Union and represented in the same year was a bloke named Thornett and that was in the 1960's.

Wendell is still playing representative Rugby Union. Your opinion on him obviously isn't shared by Union selectors...

CanadianSteve said:
So if this American could switch to union and play #8 at a high level, surely he or someone like him would have a chance at making it in league.

A chance?

sh*t, I've got a chance so he definately has a chance. Nothing's impossible.

In reality, probably no, for both of us.

Send him an email and ask him to try. His massive jump and exquisite timing at the kick-offs would be a boon to our game. Hell, tell him I'll have a word to Tim Sheens about swapping Benji for him....

Not.

Dog-E

Juniors
yankeeboy said:
How does that show that RL players own others "in terms of skill & all-round athleticism?"

Besides, in American football, shoulder charging somebody usually doesn't knock them down. You actually need to wrap and drop them.

yankeeboy said:
How does that show that RL players own others "in terms of skill & all-round athleticism?".

LOL...I simply used THAt particular image because he plays for my team - and is soon to be the #1 Rugby League player in the world vy the time Andrew Johns retires...the image itself isn't that demonstrative, no - I was just being slightly facetious (hence the :p's) - and taking some selfish liberties in posting up a pic of Sonny Bill Williams ! :D

He IS a noted hit-man though - shoulder-charges mightn't work for NFL players - but that would just be because they don't have the technique correct - because that shoulder of Sonny's is just DEADLY!!! U may be able to see them coming - but there doesn't seem to be a lot u can DO about it!...I haven't really seen him MISS with one yet, aftrer all - And if he gets u with that - and uuuuuuu drop like the proverbial sack of ......................! ;-)

monaroCountry

Juniors
These shots are a normal occurance in the NRL, nothing tough about it.
mcnair_crunch.jpg

This again must have hurt but still a normal occurance in league.
boom19ip.jpg

Really? Both are high level club competitions aren't they?

It seems to me that union is the more complex game, harder to learn than league. The only leaguies able to switch to union are wingers, and even then Wendell Sailor hasn't really caught on to the game so well. So if this American could switch to union and play #8 at a high level, surely he or someone like him would have a chance at making it in league.
Main difference is that the top players play for their country or the super 12 matches (these mainly from south africa, australia and New Zealand). Those guys that play for club games are basically still amatures (literally).

Union might have more rules but both attack and defence league is definately a more challenging game. Just look at the three most feared australian players (all league) lote, sailor and rogers, for england its Robinson. As for leaguies not succeding in the forwards, this is wrong. Look at Brad Thorn, went from Brisbane (same team as sailor and lote) then to the ALL BLACK and now back to Brisbane (fullfuilled his childhood dream). There are also several forwards playing in the super 12 that were bought up in league (although not in the NRL).

monaroCountry

Juniors
you can't call any NFL player unfit, and you can't call any non-lineman clumsy.
Sure about that?...........there are several BLUBBERS in the NFL. They might be good at weights but they are still unfit, face it NFL are for fat people (unless they are wide recievers).

yankeeboy

Juniors
Yes, Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, and Jonny Wilkinson are exactly like amateurs.

These are three of the greatest flyhalfs in RU currently, and they all play for Guinness Premiership or English 2nd Division clubs. They make a hell of a lot of money (I believe the average is higher than Super League, but I might be wrong).

It might be stretching it a little to compare the GP to the NRL, but only just. I would say that it would be comparable to Super League (they steal Aussies and Kiwis from the S14 who aren't being selected for Tests).

And monaro, you are making a gross generalization. The only positions where players are even seen with a little fat is on the line. These men are very strong. They may not be able to run very fast, but their position doesn't require it, so it doesn't matter. They also have tremendous endurance, to be able to shove a 300 lb guy in front of him every 40 seconds for 2 hrs.

Saying that a lineman is unfit because they have some fat is like saying that Props aren't good RL players because they don't kick the ball well...just plain ignorant.

yankeeboy said:
It might be stretching it a little to compare the GP to the NRL, but only just. I would say that it would be comparable to Super League (they steal Aussies and Kiwis from the S14 who aren't being selected for Tests).

A little?

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Do you have any more articles to back up your claim? seeing as they are a weekly occurance. BTW that injury you pointed out isnt what I would call, life or career threatening.

I've posted before concerning that subject.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Originally Posted by Everlovin' Antichrist
Post #1156 2.02am
Post #1157. 2.07am

You mean those?

Twat. I said you posted at 2am and you did.

Your argument against that is?

Ignat. Like I said, if you could cite where I posted then left and came back the same night when I said otherwis, then do so.

Here we go again.

You're a f**king idiot.

You're the one claiming that NFL players could play NRL, no one here has claimed that Andrew Johns could walk into the NFL.

The Johns claim was a stupid example pointing out your stupid one. Illustrating the absurd by being absurd.

How many tackles are there in an average NFL game, and over what period of time are those tackles made?

Do the same sums for an NRL game.

Cretin.

And you don't realize the amount of collisions an NFL player has to endure to rack up the same tackle/hitup stats given in the NRL. That's cause league players don't have to endure blocking/tackling or beating their man on every play.

Moron.

I've already said some of the training is similar, but the games aren't.

No NFL player could play in the NRL without years of training.

Depending on the player, 6-18 months, no prob.

Nah, you've got nothing.

You claim it but never re-post it for one of two reasons, it's either a typo or you're wrong. You seem to think that everyone here should be perfect in spelling and grammar, whilst you have no grasp of either.

Get your own shop in order first dumbarse.

If someone picked your typos/errors in this thread, it'd fill two pages...

I gave you several chance with the word itself and you still missed it.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Why is your head so thick?

You cannot claim that 18 years olds can't physically play in the NRL.

All you can say is that 18 year olds aren't allowed to play in the NFL.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Oh, that's right, you're an imbecile.

Who said it wasn't?

They aren't allowed for a reason. I'm gonna esplain this to yuh and make you look stupid, even to yourself.

Okay, nubster, tell me why 18/19 year old kids have an incredibly hard time getting playing time in collegiate football on the division 1-A level. And I'm not even talking starting, I'm talking playing time. Yet you're gonna tell me these same kids can play on the NFL level when they can't even get playing time on the collegiate level?

You're so stupid you don't even know it. I can't wait to hear you rationalize this one away.

ozhawk66

Juniors
hahahahaahah

And you posted that in bold?

The phopah joke?

The phopah joke doesn't exist, well, not from your side anyway. As if there's anything you could put over the top of anyone.

Here's a "h", you're missing is so much I thought I'd give you one for free...

If there was a spelling bee in LU you'd be out before oneye....

hahahaahah

It's like the other typo, you just hang on for all you've got don't you?

Very funny. The typo fairy has nothing on you. Except probably an ability to read and write English.....

Should we check on the amount of typos that you've made?

I'll bet that if someone did, there's be at least 30 of yours here....

There's two of mine, that you know of.....

It's funny when you can't recognize yours, even when it is put right in front of you - more than once.

That's foe pah dopey....

Can't recognize the pronunciation to faux pas?

ozhawk66

Juniors
Dog-E said:
I just like the concept of the kickers in the NFL!...What tremendous athletes THEY are, eh??

Saunter on every so often.....give the ball a bit of thong - from RIGHT SMACK BANG IN FRONT mind u!....then wave to the crowd.....and go sit back down on the bench - with nary a hair out of place & collect your multi-million dollar paycheck from the coach!

Now THAT's what i call a sweet deal - HOW DO I GET A JOB LIKE THAT!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Every damn kick from right in front...Hazem el Masri would retire with a 101% lifetime kicking success rate if he were an NFL kicker! :lol:

Unlike the NRL, kicking is a team thing in American football.

ozhawk66

Juniors
genius.

You're proving my point.

I proved your point because you wouldn't take that post of mine head on? Now I see how your world works. Try taking that post head on. Just once, lets see how you react when confronted by what's in a post, than trying to attack the messenger.

ozhawk66

Juniors

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Sure about that?...........there are several BLUBBERS in the NFL. They might be good at weights but they are still unfit, face it NFL are for fat people (unless they are wide recievers).

Ignorance of the highest level, or is that lowest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts