What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL wants two conference comp

skeepe

Immortal
Absolute bullshit.

Will cost twice as much to run a non-Sydney club.

Way more travel including 2x NZ trips every single season for teams in non-Sydney conference

Guaranteed Sydney team in the grand final.

May as well call it the Sydney Rugby League.

Santino Patane

Juniors

Who would be opposed to it?
The teams in Sydney would be thrilled. It will generate more interest, greater crowd numbers and potentially allow the NRL to sell Sydney conference games at a premium to broadcasters.

The teams in the outer-Sydney conference may not be as ecstatic. They will have to travel more and crowd figures may take a hit. The four Queensland teams might not be as heavily impacted. The Warriors may welcome the rivalry but there may also be a financial impact on the club, as well as competition for juniors.”

This is always understated in this conversation and should be the reason it gets a big fat no.

Pippen94

First Grade

Who would be opposed to it?
The teams in Sydney would be thrilled. It will generate more interest, greater crowd numbers and potentially allow the NRL to sell Sydney conference games at a premium to broadcasters.

The teams in the outer-Sydney conference may not be as ecstatic. They will have to travel more and crowd figures may take a hit. The four Queensland teams might not be as heavily impacted. The Warriors may welcome the rivalry but there may also be a financial impact on the club, as well as competition for juniors.”

This is always understated in this conversation and should be the reason it gets a big fat no.

Really should be NSW & qld conferences with other teams spilt amongst them

Dogs Of War

Coach
The Sydney final would be like grand final then you get league final to follow

Still not the same and I’m not sure that’s how people will feel about that game.

you want the best 2 teams having the opportunity to play each other. What if Sydney clubs suck that year. The other conference isn’t then able to have 2 teams make it even if they deserve it.

Pippen94

First Grade
Still not the same and I’m not sure that’s how people will feel about that game.

you want the best 2 teams having the opportunity to play each other. What if Sydney clubs suck that year. The other conference isn’t then able to have 2 teams make it even if they deserve it.

Don't always get best two teams in current set up.
Conferences used in lots of sports leagues

I don’t mind a conference system but not the model in that article.

The NFL has 8 x 4 team conferences. Teams in each conference play each other twice and then selected teams across other conferences.

I’d prefer something like the NFL model, but where any two teams can make the grand final.

The model in the article is just wrong IMO.

I’d have more conferences, split “Sydney” into two of them, And the system should allow for future expansion beyond 18 teams...

Pippen94

First Grade
I don’t mind a conference system but not the model in that article.

The NFL has 8 x 4 team conferences. Teams in each conference play each other twice and then selected teams across other conferences.

I’d prefer something like the NFL model, but where any two teams can make the grand final.

The model in the article is just wrong IMO.

I’d have more conferences, split “Sydney” into two of them, And the system should allow for future expansion beyond 18 teams...

So bacially you don't want conferences

Latest posts