What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

"The Dolphins are already a failure" - LU Nov 2022.
You're taking people's posts out of context, like usual. The consensus on here is the Dolphins will never become a juggernaut like the Broncos because they've limited their appeal to Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

I live in Logan and don't see any promotion of their brand. No one talks about them.

The part of Brisbane that needed a second team the most was the south-eastern suburbs and Logan. The Dolphins are neglecting this region completely, so good luck convincing a large segment of the RL community south of the Brisbane River to join this club!

Why would fans of Wynnum Manly support the one club they've hated the most for decades?

If you live on Brisbane's bayside then the Seagulls are your team. Before you say they have no fans I'll jump in and say I regularly drive through Redlands and the bayside suburbs. I see people with Seagulls stickers on their cars. They have a following as there's nothing much out that way.

Reactions: Ck9
Once you get to know him, he goes Ok.

Speaks his mind, unafraid.
He's too immature for my liking. The bloke does nothing but hurl insults at people while writing at the level of a special needs student. Anything that isn't straight from the NSWRL play book is "stupid" to him.

He wants a PNG team that's based in Cairns to get the 18th licence. Enough said.

MugaB

Coach
You're taking people's posts out of context, like usual. The consensus on here is the Dolphins will never become a juggernaut like the Broncos because they've limited their appeal to Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

I live in Logan and don't see any promotion of their brand. No one talks about them.

The part of Brisbane that needed a second team the most was the south-eastern suburbs and Logan. The Dolphins are neglecting this region completely, so good luck convincing a large segment of the RL community south of the Brisbane River to join this club!

Why would fans of Wynnum Manly support the one club they've hated the most for decades?

If you live on Brisbane's bayside then the Seagulls are your team. Before you say they have no fans I'll jump in and say I regularly drive through Redlands and the bayside suburbs. I see people with Seagulls stickers on their cars. They have a following as there's nothing much out that way.
FMD, brisbane needs a team in Logan and Singapore, has to be in bumfk backwards logan, makes mount druitt look like a Qatar palace

MugaB

Coach
He's too immature for my liking. The bloke does nothing but hurl insults at people while writing at the level of a special needs student. Anything that isn't straight from the NSWRL play book is "stupid" to him.

He wants a PNG team that's based in Cairns to get the 18th licence. Enough said.
So nswrl playbook has a png team, but a qrl playbook has singapore... got it!!! The only special needs student here is the guy from logan posting drivel wishing he wasnt missing two chromosomes...
What a hypocrite, had there never been a nswrl theyd be no cowboys, and this numbskull wouldnt have a team he would be following, coz he hates the team that represents brisbane/logan the fkm broncos... absolute whinger,

Welcome back alt

Reflector

Juniors
"The Dolphins are already a failure" - LU Nov 2022.
"They were right to kick Souths out, they were only getting 10k crowds. They have no future in the game and should retire the colours and put it in a glass case. Wests Tigers and Northern Eagles are the future of the game in Sydney".

- The same people, Nov 2000

Reflector

Juniors
only if people have an affinity to a club called The. On one hand all we ever hear is tribalism. Then on the other we are now saying not geographically representing anywhere is a good thing as it means everyone can follow them. which is it?
It is an interesting experiment that no major professional sports club in Australia has long term tried before that I can think of so I guess we shall see if it works.

I'm interested to hear where the Dolphins marketing is targeting?
They are targeting two groups and they are defined by geography and culture:

Geographically, they are targeting people on the northside/ bayside up to the Sunshine Coast who feel that the Dolphins are their "local" NRL team more than the Broncos are.

Culturally, they are targeting people who don't support the Broncos because they're too "arrogant" or "corporate" and prefer the Dolphins because they see them as more "traditional" and "grassroots".

Substitute eastern/ southern suburbs under geography and there's definitely a strong case for an Easts NRL bid in future. But it's not the NRL's fault the most recent Firehawks bid was underwhelming.

Colk

First Grade
"They were right to kick Souths out, they were only getting 10k crowds. They have no future in the game and should retire the colours and put it in a glass case. Wests Tigers and Northern Eagles are the future of the game in Sydney".

- The same people, Nov 2000

Surely nobody would have argued for those two, particularly the latter, to be successful. Mergers are a bad idea generally especially two clubs that hated each other

Colk

First Grade

Geographically, they are targeting people on the northside/ bayside up to the Sunshine Coast who feel that the Dolphins are their "local" NRL team more than the Broncos are.

Culturally, they are targeting people who don't support the Broncos because they're too "arrogant" or "corporate" and prefer the Dolphins because they see them as more "traditional" and "grassroots".

Substitute eastern/ southern suburbs under geography and there's definitely a strong case for an Easts NRL bid in future. But it's not the NRL's fault the most recent Firehawks bid was underwhelming.

I don’t think that the Dolphins will struggle, although they are off to a really bad start in a lot of ways. The idea however should have been a second Brisbane side.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

Easts were the best bid

but the broncos would never allow them into the comp

vlandys had to go to usa and get lachlans permission for another brisbane team, no way they would’ve allowed the one that actually would’ve threatened the broncos the most

Brisbane fought a super league to retain control of Brisbane

they will never allow another pure brissie cbd team to enter the nrl

siv

First Grade
Easts were the best bid

vlandys had to go to usa and get lachlans permission for another brisbane team, no way they would’ve allowed the one that actually would’ve threatened the broncos the most

More chance of Easts Brisbane buying out News Ltd

Perth Red

Post Whore
I

I beg to differ. Their name does not infer they are covering anywhere specific. For whatever reason they haven’t been able to lock in games on Sunshine Coast which suggests their interest there was only if it was paid for by the council. The only stadium they will play at with any sort of decent capacity is 30km from the area they are connected with through historical inference.

a city the size of Brisbane shouldnt need three clubs. Leaving news ltd wishes aside the logical decision would have been broncos to focus on north brisbane and a new club south brisbane With a name to match.

Brisbane Broncos
South Brisbane Firehawks

we do love to make bad decisions in the nrl.

Colk

First Grade
Easts were the best bid

That’s exactly what has happened I think. At least if we are looking at a team outside of Brisbane, we shouldn’t have that issue

Wb1234

Referee
That’s exactly what has happened I think. At least if we are looking at a team outside of Brisbane, we shouldn’t have that issue
Dolphins are still a great choice anyway

politics aside I’d have added both to the nrl and crushed afl even more so

Iamback

Coach

Yep, They weren't created to eat into the Broncos support. More an alternative

Reflector

Juniors
Surely nobody would have argued for those two, particularly the latter, to be successful. Mergers are a bad idea generally especially two clubs that hated each other
Hindsight is usually 20/20. The "visionaries" were all pro rationalisation and had this idea that merging Sydney clubs was the way forward.

Hypothetically speaking, the Eagles might have become very successful IF they split games between Brookvale and NSO (focusing on the Northern Beaches/ North Shore) AND Manly/ Norths didn't despise each other.

Colk

First Grade
Hindsight is usually 20/20. The "visionaries" were all pro rationalisation and had this idea that merging Sydney clubs was the way forward.

Hypothetically speaking, the Eagles might have become very successful IF they split games between Brookvale and NSO (focusing on the Northern Beaches/ North Shore) AND Manly/ Norths didn't despise each other.

I thought that there were always going to be a couple of Sydney teams that were going to bite the dust at that time but there is a reason why mergers (as far as I know) haven’t been tried in any other sport. It really is a weird idea.

Relocations or just demoting teams to NSW Cup would have worked a lot better