What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

MugaB

Coach
I feel very sorry for you if your mother referred to you as a cancer.

Actually, such neglect could explain a lot...
Wow.. cancer card... its dramatic... well if i gotta be the deadpool round here... you're definitely the mopey donkey Eeyore!

Im sad... my favorite bid the thunderbirds didn't get picked... woowest me.. im going to the corner now, have a cry... cry about rugba lieg not living up to its potential again... call a poster a cancer, for not thinking the way i do... maybe say his mummy said he was cancer... boo hoo

eeyore-winnie-the-pooh.gif

Yo @The Silverdale Phantom check out my eeyore

You may use it anytime you wish bruv

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
And when there is a rich foreigner prepared to drop Billions into the sides you can do that.

The distance between Redcliffe and Red Hill is the same as Penrith and Parramatta, Doesn't stop that being a local derby
f**k off with such nonsense. Foreign investors were interested in Utd and City because their product was so successful, not the other way around.

In a franchise system you can't afford to invest to many resources into one market, that's why in the most successful leagues in the world you see a pattern of national representation with a maximum of two teams in each market.

I've repeated it a million times now, but none of major leagues in the US have more than two teams in NYC. It's because any more than two and you risk oversaturation, and it comes at the expense of teams in other markets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No fixed address? So then they cant be cronulla or manly... maybe they are the storm or the wandering covid warriors.
You're deluding yourself pal... keep kicking the dolphins, youll end up wearing it, if they succeed
Thats why I described it as a weird hybrid. An outer suburban club with limtied catchment who may or not be appealing to a wider audience and whose nomadic three stadium approach ends up limiting the club. They are neither a big city club or a suburban club, they are something I dont quite know how to describe. No name, three venues and potentially a public perception as just a Redcliffe club.
Time will tell, I hope they are a great success and fill the void in Brisbane. Otherwise we will be looking down the track to waste a license by adding a third team for South Brisbane.
Id be interested to hear what the marketing strategy is in Brisbane? Anyone from there tell us if they are going out of their way to engage a whole of Brisbane audience?

MugaB

Coach
Thats why I described it as a weird hybrid. An outer suburban club with limtied catchment who may or not be appealing to a wider audience and whose nomadic three stadium approach ends up limiting the club. Time will tell, I hope they are a great success and fill the void in Brisbane. Otherwise we will be looking down the track to waste a license by adding a third team for South Brisbane.
But why south Brisbane, are we going in circles again??? Populated junior areas are west in Ipswich, and north east of brisbane... WTF do we want a team south of the river, what does that accomplish, its just basically campbelltown that direction

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wow.. cancer card...
The fact that I had to spell out to you that I called you a cancer is, rather ironically, a large part of the reason why you are a cancer.

You're so unbelievably ignorant and/or stupid that it's impossible to engage with you because you literally don't understand 90% of what is being said to you. As a result you misunderstand and misrepresent the others opinions and arguments and they spin their wheels in the mud, just like I'm be forced to do right now, trying to explain them to you, because they think you're being deliberately obtuse when really you're just incapable of understanding.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
But why south Brisbane, are we going in circles again??? Populated junior areas are west in Ipswich, and north east of brisbane... WTF do we want a team south of the river, what does that accomplish, its just basically campbelltown that direction
Because that's where the largest customer base within reasonable distance of Suncorp and without representation exists. In other words, that's where the fans are.

See you're doing it again.

MugaB

Coach
Because that's where the largest customer base within reasonable distance of Suncorp and without representation exists. In other words, that's where the fans are.

See you're doing it again.
Doin what...
That's rubbish, who told you south Brisbane was the population boom, this 17th team needed to own??

mongoose

Coach
Doin what...
That's rubbish, who told you south Brisbane was the population boom, this 17th team needed to own??
I would guesstimate at least 60% of the population lives south of the river, but I don't know the split for sure. Yeah there is a "growth corridor" in Moreton Bay area but it's far away from Suncorp and basically just follows the Bruce HWY north of Brisbane. There are growth areas all over greater Brisbane though. I don't think the Dolphins bid is taking advantage of the city and how its setup. The Dolphins has some pros but NRL should be aiming for 2 big clubs in Brisbane that will average 25k+ year on year. Anyways I guess we will see....

Iamback

Coach
I would guesstimate at least 60% of the population lives south of the river, but I don't know the split for sure. Yeah there is a "growth corridor" in Moreton Bay area but it's far away from Suncorp and basically just follows the Bruce HWY north of Brisbane. There are growth areas all over greater Brisbane though. I don't think the Dolphins bid is taking advantage of the city and how its setup. The Dolphins has some pros but NRL should be aiming for 2 big clubs in Brisbane that will average 25k+ year on year. Anyways I guess we will see....

That is why they have 'The' in the name. Instead of being tied to the North if Sponsorship and Membership dictates then can cover south of the River.

They are going to play most of their games at Suncorp so it isn't like they will have zero presence there

Iamback

Coach
f**k off with such nonsense. Foreign investors were interested in Utd and City because their product was so successful, not the other way around.

In a franchise system you can't afford to invest to many resources into one market, that's why in the most successful leagues in the world you see a pattern of national representation with a maximum of two teams in each market.

I've repeated it a million times now, but none of major leagues in the US have more than two teams in NYC. It's because any more than two and you risk oversaturation, and it comes at the expense of teams in other markets.

So what Businesses in Milton or surronding areas in Brisbane can 100% fund a Professional club?

Foreign investment has endless money streams, So hence aren't restricted by the limitations that come with the limited population and wealth we have here

In the 10km radius of Suncorp you have Nissan Arena with 2 teams playing out of.
Gabba with QLD cricket, Heat BBL and Lions
of course Suncorp with Roar, Reds, Broncos and sponsors that are with QLD Origin.

Then you want to have another team? Putting them outside to potentially get new Sponsors/Members makes the most sense outside of the endless pit of middle eastern oil money

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is why they have 'The' in the name. Instead of being tied to the North if Sponsorship and Membership dictates then can cover south of the River.

They are going to play most of their games at Suncorp so it isn't like they will have zero presence there
only if people have an affinity to a club called The. On one hand all we ever hear is tribalism. Then on the other we are now saying not geographically representing anywhere is a good thing as it means everyone can follow them. which is it?
It is an interesting experiment that no major professional sports club in Australia has long term tried before that I can think of so I guess we shall see if it works.

I'm interested to hear where the Dolphins marketing is targeting?

Iamback

Coach
only if people have an affinity to a club called The. On one hand all we ever hear is tribalism. Then on the other we are now saying not geographically representing anywhere is a good thing as it means everyone can follow them. which is it?
It is an interesting experiment that no major professional sports club in Australia has long term tried before that I can think of so I guess we shall see if it works.

I'm interested to hear where the Dolphins marketing is targeting?

It is a new club, What tribalism? The aim now is to get sponsors, Members following the game through a new club. Data will dictate where they play based on postcodes of members,

Brumbies do it, They are the most successful RU club we have
As does Crusaders, Blues and Chiefs also pretty successful as NZ professional sides

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is a new club, What tribalism? The aim now is to get sponsors, Members following the game through a new club. Data will dictate where they play based on postcodes of members,

Brumbies do it, They are the most successful RU club we have
As does Crusaders, Blues and Chiefs also pretty successful as NZ professional sides
well you're not going to be a member if you don't identify with the club are you? Why would anyone not from Redcliffe area identify with the Dolphins currently? That's why I'm interested to hear what they are doing from a marketing perspective to attract people to them, and if they are taking a city wide approach in it?

Iamback

Coach
well you're not going to be a member if you don't identify with the club are you? Why would anyone not from Redcliffe area identify with the Dolphins currently? That's why I'm interested to hear what they are doing from a marketing perspective to attract people to them, and if they are taking a city wide approach in it?

Membership numbers will tell all that, Even if only that area buys in.

There is just under 500k in Moreton Bay region, Bordered by 400k in Sunshine Coast. Which aside from a Netball team and a couple of QCup teams has no other competition for Sponsorship money. Is still close enough to play games at Suncorp.

So it really isn't the issue people are making it out to be

Perth Red

Post Whore
Membership numbers will tell all that, Even if only that area buys in.

There is just under 500k in Moreton Bay region, Bordered by 400k in Sunshine Coast. Which aside from a Netball team and a couple of QCup teams has no other competition for Sponsorship money. Is still close enough to play games at Suncorp.

So it really isn't the issue people are making it out to be
you may be right, time will tell. I guess we were kind of hoping for a club that would challenge Broncos in Brisbane, pack Suncorp for every game and come close to rivalling them for members. At the moment its hard to see that with the decisions that have been made, but we shall see in good time.

Iamback

Coach
you may be right, time will tell. I guess we were kind of hoping for a club that would challenge Broncos in Brisbane, pack Suncorp for every game and come close to rivalling them for members. At the moment its hard to see that with the decisions that have been made, but we shall see in good time.

Everyone who thought that would be wrong

Why are the Dolphins only selling season tickets for 10-game packages?
9​

The Dolphins have always intended to play 12 home games at three different venues as part of our stadium strategy that was part of the NRL Bid process.
Currently we have agreements to play 10 games, at Suncorp Stadium (seven games) and Moreton Daily Stadium (three games), with the other two games still to be locked down. Negotiations are continuing around the other two games and members and fans will be advised as soon as they are finalised.

It was never a FT Brisbane side coming in

Thats why I described it as a weird hybrid. An outer suburban club with limtied catchment who may or not be appealing to a wider audience and whose nomadic three stadium approach ends up limiting the club. They are neither a big city club or a suburban club, they are something I dont quite know how to describe. No name, three venues and potentially a public perception as just a Redcliffe club.
Time will tell, I hope they are a great success and fill the void in Brisbane. Otherwise we will be looking down the track to waste a license by adding a third team for South Brisbane.
Id be interested to hear what the marketing strategy is in Brisbane? Anyone from there tell us if they are going out of their way to engage a whole of Brisbane audience?
I haven't seen any advertisements promoting their brand in Logan. I don't recall seeing many people in Logan wearing their merchandise, either.

The only way I can see this club growing into a strong brand is by playing all of their games at Lang Park under the name Brisbane Dolphins or Moreton Bay Dolphins. Replace the beige colour with silver. Then they have a chance of being taken seriously.

They're hobbling about like a bunch of hillbillies who don't know what they're doing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone who thought that would be wrong

Why are the Dolphins only selling season tickets for 10-game packages?​

9​

The Dolphins have always intended to play 12 home games at three different venues as part of our stadium strategy that was part of the NRL Bid process.
Currently we have agreements to play 10 games, at Suncorp Stadium (seven games) and Moreton Daily Stadium (three games), with the other two games still to be locked down. Negotiations are continuing around the other two games and members and fans will be advised as soon as they are finalised.

It was never a FT Brisbane side coming in
I was talking before Dolphins were announced as the winner! As soon as they were announced along with their dumb name and stadium strategy that hope disappeared out the window, in all likelihood.

Latest posts