What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

You can do two things at once though. Cronulla or Roosters can partially relocate to the Central Coast whilst Manly focuses on North Sydney. Or vice versa. However, to do that there's one thing that Manly might need to do if they want to engage the North Shore and that's drop the Manly name and rebrand to the North Sydney Sea-Eagles.

If I was running the NRL I'd be making a 3 way deal like this:
* Manly --> rebrand to North Sydney Sea-Eagles and take over the Bears junior catchments entirely plus given a 10 year funding boost
* Bears --> full ownership of an Adelaide Bears franchise but have to give up North Sydney junior catchments
* Cronulla --> rebrand to something like Coastal Sharks (find a geographical compromise between Cronulla & Central Coast) - 6 matches in Cronulla, 6 matches in Gosford - Sharks take over Central Coast juniors catchment
Do you know that Cronulla tried to do what you are suggesting 10 or more years ago?
They had discussions with the Wyong Roos about starting this up to get traction on the CC, I recall that they were saying it was a goer.
The Roosters caught on and bought off Wyong before the Sharks put a foot hold in.
The same thing happened with the Fiji team scenario playing in lower grades. The Sharks started it, it was pretty big news with Petro onboard. Roosters came in over the top once again.

I'm not having a go at Easts btw, they have done great work on the CC, I'm saying that Cronulla have been exploring avenues for a while now, moreso than what other clubs have. All the while they set up their junior programmes near the end of the Sticky days, and continued on through Flange and Morris, and still going strong. This was before the Panthers set up their programmes with Gould, their resources have a higher gauge and are reaping the benefits.
Cronulla are attempting to get a foot hold at Coffs, once again playing a home game there. They also were going to buy another Club in Coffs but I think that isn't going ahead.

docbrown

Coach
Mate winning helps... sharks weren't too far off it this finals, they keep it up maybe they do...
As far as appeal, they have roosters and souths to deal with, plus dragons south of them, its a tug of war for all aspects, but they are doing ok, considering the have the bulk of juniors compared to those lot.. my issue isnt manly or sharks, its always been roosters, thet offer nothing to either junior landscape or sydney wide appeal, with no norths, they sjpuld have been one of the most supported clubs im sydney.. but coz they are rich and affluent and well managed, people gloss over them..
They occupy all of 4 suburbs... FMD, no juniors, and coherse the best players from each club, they offer nothing to the league as a whole, but their own existence, and self centred needs.
....But yeah sharks are the issue
I think the days of clubs basing their long term prosperity on whether they make the finals in a given year should be put to bed. Compared to Souths and the Dragons the Sharks have a significantly smaller fanbase. They will continue to do so unless they come up with a better long term strategy. Don't get me wrong -- Roosters have their issues too and I agree with you on those. Like I said they would be another team that should be invited to partially relocate to the Central Coast as well.

docbrown

Coach
Do you know that Cronulla tried to do what you are suggesting 10 or more years ago?
They had discussions with the Wyong Roos about starting this up to get traction on the CC, I recall that they were saying it was a goer.
The Roosters caught on and bought off Wyong before the Sharks put a foot hold in.
The same thing happened with the Fiji team scenario playing in lower grades. The Sharks started it, it was pretty big news with Petro onboard. Roosters came in over the top once again.

I'm not having a go at Easts btw, they have done great work on the CC, I'm saying that Cronulla have been exploring avenues for a while now, moreso than what other clubs have. All the while they set up their junior programmes near the end of the Sticky days, and continued on through Flange and Morris, and still going strong. This was before the Panthers set up their programmes with Gould, their resources have a higher gauge and are reaping the benefits.
Cronulla are attempting to get a foot hold at Coffs, once again playing a home game there. They also were going to buy another Club in Coffs but I think that isn't going ahead.
Yes but these things often fail when left solely to the clubs. The NRL needs to create a target for each geographical area and incentivise clubs to achieve them.

Yes but these things often fail when left solely to the clubs. The NRL needs to create a target for each geographical area and incentivise clubs to achieve them.
That was part of the Shane Richardson proposal when he worked for the NRL, wasn't it?
I quite liked that idea.

I think the days of clubs basing their long term prosperity on whether they make the finals in a given year should be put to bed. Compared to Souths and the Dragons the Sharks have a significantly smaller fanbase. They will continue to do so unless they come up with a better long term strategy. Don't get me wrong -- Roosters have their issues too and I agree with you on those. Like I said they would be another team that should be invited to partially relocate to the Central Coast as well.
Sharks are confined to Sutherland, which has a population of 220k. They're surrounded by Dragons north of the Georges River and south in Wollongong. They'll never be anything other than a small club that relies on the ARLC for funding via the annual grant because there's not enough investment from fans and the market sector to keep them viable.

The only hope for Sharks is to relocate somewhere else, but their administration and fanbase are too delusional and stupid to accept it as they think they're superior to everyone. They should change their name to the Cronulla Sooks as their fans are the touchiest wimps in the competition.

MugaB

Coach
Sharks are confined to Sutherland, which has a population of 220k. They're surrounded by Dragons north of the Georges River and south in Wollongong. They'll never be anything other than a small club that relies on the ARLC for funding via the annual grant because there's not enough investment from fans and the market sector to keep them viable.

The only hope for Sharks is to relocate somewhere else, but their administration and fanbase are too delusional and stupid to accept it as they think they're superior to everyone. They should change their name to the Cronulla Sooks as their fans are the touchiest wimps in the competition.
Fkn blah, blah, blah, logan, blah, sharks 220k pop, blah...same ol shite

Dark Corner

Juniors
If that's the case then we should get rid of Sydney's four weakest clubs and let the remaining five take over. Two in the east and three in the west could easily cover Sydney. The likes of Manly, St George and Cronulla will never be anything but small clubs with small fanbases in small regions. Tigers are a mess that has never worked and will be f**ked when the older generation of Balmain fans die off. If these four clubs went then it would only take 20 years for people from these regions to adopt one of the other Sydney clubs as their team.
Name the 4 that needs to be removed.

Canard

Immortal
Cronulla. Manly. Wests. Canterbury.

The Bulldogs is an odd call.

Surely by most metrics they are one of the biggest clubs in Sydney since the 80s, and it's only a sustained period of poor management and lack of success that sees them where they are currently.

They are the sleeping Giants of our game and hopefully will come to life in the next few seasons.

Colk

First Grade

Surely by most metrics they are one of the biggest clubs in Sydney since the 80s, and it's only a sustained period of poor management and lack of success that sees them where they are currently.

They are the sleeping Giants of our game and hopefully will come to life in the next few seasons.

You could say the same about the Tigers. They haven’t had success but their memberships are still good relatively.

If push came to shove the two lowest supported clubs in Sydney would be Cronulla and Manly.

Bulldogs generated just $3.6m in sponsorship and corporate hospitality in 2021.

They don't have a suitable home ground and never will. Belmore is too small and fans don't like Stadium Australia. Gov ain't building them a new one in Liverpool.

Same goes for Wests. No home ground.

This problem for Sydney clubs without a proper stadium will only get worse now that some clubs do.

Bulldogs generated just $3.6m in sponsorship and corporate hospitality in 2021.

They don't have a suitable home ground and never will. Belmore is too small and fans don't like Stadium Australia. Gov ain't building them a new one in Liverpool.

Same goes for Wests. No home ground.

This problem for Sydney clubs without a proper stadium will only get worse now that some clubs do.
IMG_3053-ANIMATION_large.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why do people waste their precious time spending gifs and pics? Yeh we get it you dont agree with the posters opinion and may think their posts are garbage. But here’s an idea why not either ignore or counter argue. Posting boring pic responses again and again just spams thread And is Boring as f**k.

Last edited:
Why do people waste their precious time spending posting gifs and pics? Yeh we get it you dont agree with the posters opinion and may think their posts are garbage. But here’s an idea why not either ignore or counter argue. Posting boring pic responses again and again just spams thread And is Boring as f**k.
Let me guess. @baselinepanther is posting an image of a man wearing a tinfoil hat or a clown?

I put him on ignore weeks ago. The irony of him posting those images after all the crazy claims he made about the broadcast deal during the last 24 months...

Latest posts