What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Bukowski

Juniors
Hockey has been played in WA since the 1920's.
And rugby league has since the 40s. My point is that no other sport snubs a state because of a rival code. To think AFL is the only sport in wa is totally ignorant. But thats the NRL for you.

Iamback

Coach
And rugby league has since the 40s. My point is that no other sport snubs a state because of a rival code. To think AFL is the only sport in wa is totally ignorant. But thats the NRL for you.

I think people are reading too much into the comments, That was for team 17 which they wanted the infastructure in place for.

When the time comes Team 19 will also be from QLD

Colk

First Grade
Hockey has been played in WA since the 1920's.

Sorry but your previous post didn’t make any grammatical sense. Now that I know what you were actually talking about, your point in my opinion isn’t particularly relevant.

We are the only sport in this country that seems to think that is too hard to have teams in certain places within this country. Notwithstanding, the fact that this sport earns the second most of any sport in this country. If a comparatively minor sport like field hockey can have teams from right across our country then there is no reason why we can’t.

Sorry but your previous post didn’t make any grammatical sense. Now that I know what you were actually talking about, your point in my opinion isn’t particularly relevant.

We are the only sport in this country that seems to think that is too hard to have teams in certain places within this country. Notwithstanding, the fact that this sport earns the second most of any sport in this country. If a comparatively minor sport like field hockey can have teams from right across our country then there is no reason why we can’t.
There's no reason for us to not have a team in every mainland state capital. I'm convinced the only reason our game's administration pretends it cannot be done is because it doesn't want the Sydney clubs to become irrelevant, which is what would happen in a truly national competition.

flippikat

Bench
There's no reason for us to not have a team in every mainland state capital. I'm convinced the only reason our game's administration pretends it cannot be done is because it doesn't want the Sydney clubs to become irrelevant, which is what would happen in a truly national competition.
I wouldn't go as far to say irrelevant... but certainly not the "big fish in a small pond" they are now, that's for sure.

Iamback

Coach

2nd most of any sport is correct, As a result it needs the 2nd most funding. Player pool etc.
Which is why at the time when that comment was made another QLD team was a higher priority.

Using the Melbourne example how long can we realistic expect until there are a steady stream of juniors in an expansion side? I am not saying it shouldn't happen just that rightly so a QLD side was next up

On to Hockey

From this you see that WA has the 2nd most players in the country, So hence my comment about Hockey already having a footprint in the state

MugaB

Coach
The same thing is happening in Brisbane. All those suburbs within 10 KM of the CBD are full of snobs and high rise apartments. Not exactly a good place for a working class RL fan to raise a family. I cannot see how 2 teams based in the inner suburbs of Brisbane, both playing at Lang Park, will cater to the needs of RL fans who live in the outskirts. It makes sense to have 1 in Moreton Bay, 1 in Logan or southern suburbs like Nathan.
So no need for Easts tigers/firehawks, being another inner city team.
videotogif_2022.12.24_00.50.09.gif
But Logan... that's a winner

Wb1234

Referee
I'm not saying i agree with it, but in my opinion the net NRL clubs will be in NZ and Queensland and after that Perth, but i say again in my opinion.
Putting Perth in next over nz is a big mistake in my opinion but that’s how they want to go

super rugby is on its knees

Perth should wait till team 20

Wb1234

Referee
Is Rugby on its knees though in NZ?? Most definitely here in Australia it’s cooked but I’d be surprised if so across the ditch. Any hard evidence on that??
Not as bad as Australia but articles on kiwis being bored they play the same kiwi teams all the time

financially they just agreed to share tens of millions in tv revenue to keep super rugby afloat in Australia

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will all depend on what the WA govt is offering. It’s possibly a once in a lifetime moment with a pro RL Premier in charge with a $10billion surplus in his back pocket. If their offer is too good to ignore then even Vlandys won’t be that stupid to not take the opportunity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is Rugby on its knees though in NZ?? Most definitely here in Australia it’s cooked but I’d be surprised if so across the ditch. Any hard evidence on that??
Nzru revenue $188million. Nzrl revenue $8million. People who think union in nz are In Trouble and will be in anyway impacted by a small second nrl club are in cloud cuckoo land!