What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

flippikat

Bench
What are your thoughts? NSW/ACT conference & non-NSW conference by 2050?

NSW/ACT
Newcastle
Central Coast Bears
Manly
Roosters
South Sydney
Cronulla
St George Illawarra
Canterbury
Penrith
Parramatta
Wests Tigers
Canberra

NON NSW CONFERENCE
North QLD
Redcliffe Dolphins
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Firehawks
Ipswich Jets
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Melbourne Storm
Melbourne 2
Adelaide Rams
West Coast Pirates
I like the spread of teams, and if all have sustainable business models then it's a good footprint - HOWEVER there's a big difference in travel between those two.

If we're talking geographical conferences, then you'd probably have to split Sydney between the two conferences - teams to the west & south in one - teams to the north & east in another.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What are your thoughts? NSW/ACT conference & non-NSW conference by 2050?

NSW/ACT
Newcastle
Central Coast Bears
Manly
Roosters
South Sydney
Cronulla
St George Illawarra
Canterbury
Penrith
Parramatta
Wests Tigers
Canberra

NON NSW CONFERENCE
North QLD
Redcliffe Dolphins
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Firehawks
Ipswich Jets
Gold Coast Titans
Auckland Warriors
Christchurch Bulls
Melbourne Storm
Melbourne 2
Adelaide Rams
West Coast Pirates
long long term but I'd have three Brisbane clubs not 4, a sunshine coast club, three NZ clubs, one club in Melbourne and Port Moresby, Id mix the conferences up and base the sydney/NSw splits on rivallaries.

flippikat

Bench
long long term but I'd have three Brisbane clubs not 4, a sunshine coast club, three NZ clubs, one club in Melbourne and Port Moresby, Id mix the conferences up and base the sydney/NSw splits on rivallaries.
Good points.

If you split Sydney on rivalries, you'd probably (at a guess) have Sea Eagles/Eels/Bulldogs in one conference & Roosters/Rabbitohs/Dragons in another.

That leaves the Panthers, Sharks & Tigers.

Panthers makes sense to be in the Western-skewed side with the Eels, Sharks in with the more south-east side with the Dragons..

Tigers are a dilemma - do they go in with the westward group, or the group with other foundation teams?

siv

First Grade
Simple

18 teams

Two pools of pools of 9

Teams within a pool play home & away across one season

With a Top 8 from a combined table

And cross pools home & away over two seasons

How do you decide the pools?

My preferrence us Sydney v Regional

But I could live with pools decided by a 2 year table

Pool A - 1,4,5,8,9,12,13,16,17
Pool B - 2,3,6,7,10,11,14,15,18

Like - Pool A Melbourne, Manly, Easts, Gold Coast, Cronulla, St Merge, Nth Qld, Dogs, Redcliffe

Pool B - Penrith, Souths Parra, Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Broncos, Wests-Tigers, CC Bears

Santino Patane

Juniors
Simple

18 teams

Two pools of pools of 9

Teams within a pool play home & away across one season

With a Top 8 from a combined table

And cross pools home & away over two seasons

How do you decide the pools?

My preferrence us Sydney v Regional

But I could live with pools decided by a 2 year table

Pool A - 1,4,5,8,9,12,13,16,17
Pool B - 2,3,6,7,10,11,14,15,18

Like - Pool A Melbourne, Manly, Easts, Gold Coast, Cronulla, St Merge, Nth Qld, Dogs, Redcliffe

Pool B - Penrith, Souths Parra, Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Broncos, Wests-Tigers, CC Bears
You would think that because you’re ignorant to the inherit inequity of the concept. #itsNRLnotNSWRL

Jamberoo

Juniors
Massive interest in RL in Perth, with a whopping 7,000 people tuning in to watch Friday's final.

Pippen94

First Grade
Hahahaha, so much for Perth Red and his legions of RL fans in WA.

Perth red is an idiot. I agree there should be a team in Perth because game needs to be exposed to as many ppl as possible, but that poster comes here & states how strong game is over there & how it'd outdraw Qld & NSW. Just bullshit.
Crowds in redcliffe & townesville shut him up good tho

Jim Rockford

Bench
Perth red is an idiot. I agree there should be a team in Perth because game needs to be exposed to as many ppl as possible, but that poster comes here & states how strong game is over there & how it'd outdraw Qld & NSW. Just bullshit.
Crowds in redcliffe & townesville shut him up good tho
I'm happy for there to be a team in Perth. I just want to see Perth Red have to squirm about it a bit longer. As annoying as he is now, he is going to be insufferable when the ButtPirates come along.

Nuke

Staff member
There really is a strong League audience here in Perth, and a lot of sports enthusiasts who have a level of interest in the NRL.

I wouldn't take Friday's stats as any true kind of indication of League's audience in the West.

Two clubs that people generally don't like, 5pm start (when most people are just finishing work, myself included), and up against an aussie rules preliminary final in which the locals have more of an interest in than usual given their grand final, I hear, is locked in for being played here next week.
All factors that would contribute to that figure.
I was one of those supposed 7,000 people who had it on when I got home. Admittedly I had little interest in it, but it was on!

There really is a strong League audience here in Perth, and a lot of sports enthusiasts who have a level of interest in the NRL.

I wouldn't take Friday's stats as any true kind of indication of League's audience in the West.

Two clubs that people generally don't like, 5pm start (when most people are just finishing work, myself included), and up against an aussie rules preliminary final in which the locals have more of an interest in than usual given their grand final, I hear, is locked in for being played here next week.
All factors that would contribute to that figure.
I was one of those supposed 7,000 people who had it on when I got home. Admittedly I had little interest in it, but it was on!
If the ARLC introduced a Perth-based NRL team and exposed as many children to it by running clinics at primary schools and getting the game played in state schools and universities, there's no reason why Perth couldn't have 30k registered players by 2050.

Kids can only support a sport if it's visible and accessiblee.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s
Nothing about pushing expansion through is easy
not expansion, it’s consolidation. Brisbane is already a rl mad city with an option to follow nrl.
And look how hard they are making it just to put another heartland team in an obvious market. The chances of this current management having the vision, courage and control to properly expand the nrl to new markets is between bob hope and no hope!

Perth Red

Post Whore

All factors that would contribute to that figure.(
People still watch nrl on gem/9?
I’d like to see the ptv/streaming stats for perth, I haven’t watched an nrl game on nine since simucasting every game started.

It’s

not expansion, it’s consolidation. Brisbane is already a rl mad city with an option to follow nrl.
And look how hard they are making it just to put another heartland team in an obvious market. The chances of this current management having the vision, courage and control to properly expand the nrl to new markets is between bob hope and no hope!
We probably need another four or six teams to adequately cover every major market across Australia and New Zealand, but we lack the resources needed to support a 20 or 22 team competition.

There will be no rationalisation of Sydney, which means expansion markets like Adelaide and Perth will continue to go unrepresented. Areas that need consolidation, like SEQ and NZ, will continue to be under-represented.

If it stays like this for another 20 years then RL will be a shell of its former self. It's hard to feel positive about the game when it is running itself into the ground.

Nuke

Staff member
People still watch nrl on gem/9?
I’d like to see the ptv/streaming stats for perth, I haven’t watched an nrl game on nine since simucasting every game started.
I do, yeah. I don't have any payTV / streaming services. I barely watch any tv, so it'd be a waste of money paying for something I would hardly look at.