What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wasn't there an idea a few years ago to have a Perth team in the Super League?
yes back in 2012, when the game here was independent and the WARL board where sick of the stone walling from the NRL. Probably one of the reasons why the NRL forced them out lol

with a direct 16 hr flight to London from Perth it might have been possible if games were played in blocks but if SL woudl have accepted it we'll never know.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Penrith spend $2.5m and won pretty much everything across the board, Given they linked with Rockhampton. That shows it is going to more than just the little area in Northern Brisbane
I addressed what you are saying here in the post you are responding to lol.

shewi6

Juniors
Anyone paste please, and the follow up article?
The NRL has become a $600 million empire with the governing body on track to post a record profit in excess of $50m - two years after the Covid crisis almost sent League Central bankrupt.

And in another landmark financial development for the sport, all 16 NRL clubs are now running at a profit, including reigning grand-finalists Penrith and Parramatta, who lost a combined $19 million in 2017.

In the second part of a report into the state of the game, ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo have revealed rugby league’s stunning fightback from the brink of bankruptcy to unprecedented financial prosperity.

Such is the growing goldmine, News Corp can reveal the NRL salary cap next season will be at least $11 million, and possibly as high as $11.5m with allowances when CBA negotiations with the RLPA are finalised within the month.

V’landys also outlined the NRL’s 18th-team expansion strategy, bold plans to raid NFL talent in America, and why he will not relent in his high-shot crackdown amid fears the code could be sued over brain-trauma injuries.

“The game’s finances have never been better,” he said.

“It’s important the game is never put in a position where it can’t sustain itself and risks going bankrupt.”

SAVING CLUBS AND SALARY CAPS

There is a well-worn adage in rugby league - football clubs don’t make money.

Just five years ago, NRL clubs were ostensibly in crisis, haemorraghing $60 million collectively. Traditionally, only the Broncos, Melbourne and Souths turned a profit, but this year all 16 clubs are in the black, including the Titans, who were rescued by the NRL in 2015.

The NRL’s new 17th franchise, the Dolphins, has assets of $100 million and will enter the league with the second richest commercial stable at $10m, behind only the Broncos.

The stronger financial bedrock has enabled the NRL to increase the salary cap.

After months of speculation, it can be revealed the 2023 salary cap will be at least $11 million, well above the projected $10.4m - giving rise to the prospect of the NRL’s first $1.5 million player.

“Player payments are going up,” Abdo said. “There will be more athletes with professional contracts for both the NRL and NRLW competitions than ever before.

“We are fully focused on our negotiation with the RLPA over the new CBA. We are really hopeful to reach the end of this month with a pretty exciting deal for stakeholders.

“Our current proposal is for a significant increase in salary cap for both male and female athletes.

“The clubs have never been stronger or more profitable.

“A couple of years ago, the situation was very different for clubs financially. Clubs were making significant losses in aggregate, so it was important to provide a strong financial base for clubs.

“The funds available for distribution have gone up significantly.”

REVENUE RAISING

In the last financial year, the NRL turned over $570 million and announced a $42.8m profit following V’landys’ ruthless cost-cutting exercise at League Central to insulate the sport from the ravages of Covid.

As a result, the NRL is forecasting record numbers. Speaking for the first time about the code’s future financials, V’landys declared the NRL will celebrate a $600 million-plus turnover for the first time in their history.

The NRL’s surplus next season is expected to hit a record $50m, eclipsing the previous benchmarks of $45.3m (2013) and $47.1m, set in 2018 under the leadership of then-NRL boss Todd Greenberg.

“We will be announcing record figures,” V’landys said.

“Our revenue will be in excess of $600 million and we have never reached those heights before.

“I’m proud that our cost structure is down to 23 per cent compared to the AFL’s 47 per cent, which means we are doing things in a cost-effective way at the NRL and, in turn, distributing more money to players, coaches and the clubs.

“The haters out there are trying to say, ‘You are saving money because you aren’t putting money into participation’, but we are actually investing more money in participation.

Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo outside the Gambaros hotel and restaurant, one of the NRL’s first major assets.
Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo outside the Gambaros hotel and restaurant, one of the NRL’s first major assets.
ON DEATH’S DOOR

The NRL has copped brickbats for buying Brisbane hotel Gambaros in July, but for V’landys, it was the first step in constructing an investment portfolio to future-proof the code.

When Covid struck in 2020, putting the Telstra Premiership on ice for two months, it was a kick up the pants for a governing body that had blown billions from previous broadcast deals.

V’landys revealed how close the NRL came to going broke.

“In reality, we were two months away during Covid from being insolvent,” he said.

“We couldn’t pay our debts and if we couldn’t borrow money, what would we have done?

“We had nothing to lean on.

“Without any assets to support us, the NRL would have gone broke and we wouldn’t have had a competition.

“Gambaros finally gives us an asset and from there, we want at least $100 million in assets so that the game is never put in a position where it can’t sustain itself and risks going bankrupt.

“The turnaround we have been able to achieve financially has been remarkable.

“People just take it for granted, but it’s been bloody hard work.”

BROADCAST BUNGLE

There is a view the AFL destroyed the NRL in TV rights broadcasting negotiations.

The AFL recently announced a seven-year, $4.5 billion deal between 2025-31, but V’landys scoffed at suggestions the NRL undervalued their product with Fox and Channel 9.

“It’s nonsense, the time periods (of the AFL and NRL broadcasting deals) are different for a start,” he said.

“The majority of the money they (the AFL) are getting is between 2027-31 ... we haven’t done a deal for those years yet, so how can people compare something when there is nothing to compare at the moment?

“People don’t understand that the AFL took a bigger cut than what we did during Covid from a broadcasting perspective.

“When the time is right, we will be looking at increasing our broadcast value.

“The AFL don’t do things better than us. We will beat them.”

V’landys says he feels for NRL legends like Mario Fenech who have been diagnised with dementia and vows to continue the crackdown on high shots.
V’landys says he feels for NRL legends like Mario Fenech who have been diagnised with dementia and vows to continue the crackdown on high shots.
CONCUSSION THREATS

During the week, it was revealed 75 English rugby league players, including Great Britain legend Bobbie Goulding, had begun a class action against the RFL over brain-trauma injuries.

In the past fortnight, NRL legends Ray Price and Mario Fenech have revealed they have been diagnosed with dementia, while James Graham spoke of his brain-damage concerns following an estimated 100 concussions.

There are fears it is only a matter of time before the NRL faces a lawsuit over concussive events. V’landys launched a crackdown 18 months ago on high shots in rugby league and says he will not relent in his bid to protect NRL players from brain-trauma threats.

“What I am concerned about is making sure we have the best and safest game for the player,” he said.

“I don’t want any person who plays our game to suffer any after-effects with brain damage or concussions. That’s my aim. And that’s why we launched the crackdown on cheap shots around the head. I want to stamp it out of the game and I am determined to do that.”

Asked if he watched Channel 7’s documentary on Fenech’s battle with early-onset dementia, V’landys said: “I did, absolutely. You wouldn’t have a heart if you didn’t feel for Mario Fenech and his family. It was heart wrenching for me to watch.

“I will continue the crackdown on high shots. It’s a contact game, so accidents will happen, but we need to look at tackle techniques and we will have programs to educate players.

“We must avoid head knocks as much as we can. We have to get rid of the cheap shots in the game.”

The NRL remains committed to hosting a premiership game in the United States in 2023. Picture: Getty Images.
The NRL remains committed to hosting a premiership game in the United States in 2023. Picture: Getty Images.

shewi6

Juniors
Part2
COMING TO AMERICA

The NRL remains in discussions about hosting one premiership fixture in America next season in the final week of February. Manly and the Roosters have been mentioned as possible travelling teams for a historic NRL match in the US. But V’landys wants a more solidified footprint in the Land of Opportunity.

“America is certainly a market for us,” he said.

“It’s a big revenue growth for us and one thing we learnt with broadcasting is we are so small scale.

“We have 25 million people in Australia. There are 40 million in California alone.

“We need to make the NRL bigger scale. We need to have the ambition to grow the game in huge markets and the beauty of technology today is the NRL can have a presence anywhere in the world.

“We need a long-term strategy. We want to take an NRL game over to America to show them how good rugby league is. Even if you start off picking up 10,000 customers, eventually it can multiply.

“In 2023, we’d like an NRL game in America and hopefully more games down the track.”

EXPANSION

Critics of the Dolphins’ inclusion have questioned if the NRL has the talent pool to sustain 17 teams. But V’landys is not finished expanding the code and is eyeing an 18th team for the code’s next TV rights deal, which would give the NRL a crucial extra game to sell to broadcasters.

The ARLC boss insists there are scores of athletes that can bolster the NRL’s talent pool, including millions of American Football players attempting to crack the NFL.

“Yes, there is an 18th team on the horizon,” he said.

“We will see how the Dolphins go.

“It (an 18th team) could be earlier than 2027.

“Next year will tell us a lot about expansion and the markets we must explore. We have put our foot in the water now and it will tell us if expansion is worthwhile.

“When there is a supply-and-demand situation regarding players, you have to look at external options.

“One of the things I feel is we should be looking at the NFL. There are thousands of great American athletes that miss out over there, surely there are some American Football players who can learn our game quickly and play wing or centre?

“While we are growing participation, we need to look outside the box and when supply doesn’t meet demand, you look to get your supply from somewhere else.”

“There’s plenty of avenues the game can explore to attract players.”

Wb1234

Referee
18th team seems to be a lock.

good to hear that the clubs are turning a profit whereas pre-covid it was just 3 clubs
Sounds like a turnaround of around 60 to 100 million in cumulative club finances

obviously due to funding the cap plus 130 percent (plus more)

if the dolphins aren’t totally awful I still say 2025 is the year they expand

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Sounds like a turnaround of around 60 to 100 million in cumulative club finances

I don`t think the Dolphin`s being ordinary should affect expansion plans as long as the new club is as cashed up as the Dolphins. The Dolphins are going to be a success, probably sooner rather than later with their wealth, another wealthy club the same. No mincing around get them both in.

Wb1234

Referee
I don`t think the Dolphin`s being ordinary should affect expansion plans as long as the new club is as cashed up as the Dolphins. The Dolphins are going to be a success, probably sooner rather than later with their wealth, another wealthy club the same. No mincing around get them both in.
Well if they are finishing last it might delay expansion a few years till 2027 to give them time and the player market time to support another team

So according to you, AwFuL supporting four expansion clubs and a few strugglers from Melbourne under their variable funding scheme to keep them viable is “bad”, but the ARLC increasing funds to all 16 clubs so that 13 are no longer losing money is “good”?

Please be consistent and set a standard instead of being a one-eyed code warrior.

Both codes are propping up struggling clubs.

AwFuL would benefit from booting North Melbourne Kangaroos interstate.

NRL would benefit from booting Cronulla Sharks to Adelaide and giving the Wests Tigers’ licence to Easts Tigers. It’ll make the remaining seven Sydney clubs stronger and give our game a pro team to combat the Lions in southern Brisbane. From there we can bring in the Pirates to create a national competition and allow Bulldogs and Dragons to go back to being powerhouses on and off the field.

Wow

now that’s a decent read
It's a fluff piece by News Ltd to prop up V'landys for giving them the rights at a low cost. The only thing we learnt from it is clubs piss more money up a wall than they earn through football operations and the three most commercially viable clubs are Broncos, Dolphins and Cowboys.

Perth Red

Post Whore
18th team seems to be a lock.

good to hear that the clubs are turning a profit whereas pre-covid it was just 3 clubs
that is some creative and selective reading of accounts I’d suggest. When the stories of clubs running at loses came out it was before the LC money was counted in their bottom line. So eels looked like they’d made a $5mill loss but in reality the LC had tipped in $5mill so bottom line was break even. If you took LC funding out of most clubs with them last year they’d be showing a loss. Lies, damn lies and statistics and all that!

positive about team 18 but Ive heard it all before numerous times so we’ll see if it does happened before 2027.

the whole usa thing sounds as fanciful as afl in China lol
if professional soccer can’t crack usa I doubt nrl will!

good to see them going back to dave smiths asset building financial strategies a decade later!

funny he talks about more funding for grass roots and participation and failed to mention the $25milliion cuts in that area in 2021 that heloved them deliver the ”profit”!

nice deflection, afl are getting most of it after 2027? err no Pete they are getting more from next year and a hell of a lot more for three years after that before our new deal will start. “We’ll end up with more”, only if you’re long gone by then pistol Pete!

but yeh it’s the third vlandys puff piece from news, expect more as they fight to keep him his position.

Last edited:
that is some creative and selective reading of accounts I’d suggest. When the stories of clubs running at loses came out it was before the LC money was counted in their bottom line. So eels looked like they’d made a $5mill loss but in reality the LC had tipped in $5mill so bottom line was break even. If you took LC finding out of most clubs with them last year they’d be showing a loss. Lies, damn lies and statistics and all that!
I wouldn't be surprised if tighter restrictions were put on licenced venues over the the next 20 years. I can see more taxes being put on gaming machine revenue, similar to what has been done to carbon, beer and smokes. Licenced venues will probably be forced to reduce the amount of gaming machines they operate.

Iamback

Coach

The bye being removed from a draw is a huge benefit to the game, A couple of extra years of uninterupted junior leagues will help the lack of player issue too

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't be surprised if tighter restrictions were put on licenced venues over the the next 20 years. I can see more taxes being put on gaming machine revenue, similar to what has been done to carbon, beer and smokes. Licenced venues will probably be forced to reduce the amount of gaming machines they operate.
Doubt it, like a junkie it’s hard to cut off the supply for govt funding

Perth Red

Post Whore
The bye being removed from a draw is a huge benefit to the game, A couple of extra years of uninterupted junior leagues will help the lack of player issue too
Be interesting to see if nrl do anything about the gap that was created by ditching the U20’s nrl comp? That seems to have been a factor according to some in the know.

MugaB

Coach
Be interesting to see if nrl do anything about the gap that was created by ditching the U20’s nrl comp? That seems to have been a factor according to some in the know.
This is very true, the Toyota cup should never have been disbanded, that was one of the best breeding grounds for RL for all clubs, warriors and canberra especially, if they had that back broncos would turn powerhouse in a few years (on field of course) but having all these split qrl clubs feeding into one broncos hasn't worked, not enough cohession in the junior squads to filter into 1st grade