What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLT - Newcastle United Jets

astrogirl

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
I'm looking forward to it, and intend to be at every Jets' game
I'll be there every now and then, hopefully.

My sister and I made our decision about which team to support - Sydney FC or the Jets.

The Novocastrian thing won out :D

So, what colours will I be wearing to games?

B-dos

Referee
astrogirl said:
chriswalkerbush said:
I'm looking forward to it, and intend to be at every Jets' game
I'll be there every now and then, hopefully.

My sister and I made our decision about which team to support - Sydney FC or the Jets.

The Novocastrian thing won out :D

So, what colours will I be wearing to games?
Yep, ill be getting to a game or two myself. Really looking forward to a decent competition this year.

Crook you've got to watch what you say here mate, i was on your side to start with, im interested in the new A-league as much as anyone, but if you come on this forum and start mocking League you wont have many friends left after very long. Its not called for at all, and to say 'Thuggery League' is a bit of a joke considering the fans of your game started rioting the other weekend. You cant really say your fans have the best record at games can you, id actually prefer a slightly quiter crowd if it meant me not getting bashed or stabbed or whatever while trying to enjoy a game. How about we all get along and enjoy both codes, im a sports fan and i love it all.

crook

Juniors
Yeah I apologise for saying that stuff, i get a little carried away some times :?

Gene, I said before that the Newcastle crowds aren't as loud as they should be, hopefully this season it will start to pick up.

Hopefully the crowds will come this year because the game is being run right, there will actually be promotion of the game and it will be professional.

Once we get into Asia, money will flow into the game and we will be able to keep some of our stars at home.

Of course players like Cahill, Bresciano and Viduka are gonna play overseas because they deserve to be paid hundreds of thousands a week, but hopefully the other 170 Aussies player football abroad will come home.

Also, the FFA are setting up a fund to pay wages for Socceroos to play in the A-League. They hope to have at least 7 or 8 of the starting 11 Socceroos playing in the A-League within the next few seasons.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Being a new-comer to the A-League (well, to Australian soccer in general) I've got to ask a few basic questions:

- What colours do United wear?
- How much does it usually cost to attend a home game?
- What time do games typically start?

If Ante Milicic's form playing for the Socceroos against Indonesia last night was anything to go by, the mighty Jets will score a SQUILLION goals this season. He is a striker of the highest calibre.

astrogirl

First Grade
They have definitely signed Milicic?

Btw, thanks for the fixtures crook. I wish league could have their fixtrues done well in advance too!

crook

Juniors
It was a disappoitning performance yet again from Australia, but Milicic did really stand out.

A VERY good signing for Newcastle.

He said in an interview that he will be the Andrew Johns of Newcastle football lol :shock:

I think that hes taking it a bit far with that comment :!:

I have to agree with Crook there. I was pretty disappointed myself. Our attack looked OK (not great), but our defence was woeful. Moore, Vidmar and Popovic all look too old, and Laza looked great going forward but was caught out of position too many times. I think Farina needs to start experimenting with young defenders like Milisevic, Neill, Wilkshere and North. Then again, maybe he has left it too late in the World Cup campaign to start experimenting.

Sure, we did win 3-0, but put into the context of the game (playing a team ranked 90-something, who offered nothing by way of attack), it wasn't anything to write home about.

crook

Juniors
Like Joey Show said, its not all about the scoreline.

The bottom line was that we played against a weak nation and we failed to slaughter them.

Once again, like against Iraq, we let them have a few 1 on 1's with the keeper that most nations would score, luckily Indonesia and Iraq didn't convert these chances.

I was disappointed with the match because if we play like that against the 5th best Sth American team, then we WON'T be going to the world cup. :cry:

Andy

First Grade
crook said:
It was a disappoitning performance yet again from Australia, but Milicic did really stand out.

A VERY good signing for Newcastle.

He said in an interview that he will be the Andrew Johns of Newcastle football lol :shock:

I think that hes taking it a bit far with that comment :!:

I totally agree. I just hope he continues with the same form when the A league proceeds.

My only concern is that the Jets have signed a lot players who are past their best football.

astrogirl

First Grade
JETS SIGNINGS

CRAIG DEANS
ANTE MILICIC
ANDREW DURANTE
NICK CARLE
LIAM REDDY
JOBE WHEELHOUSE
STUART MUSIALIK
STEVE EAGLETON
JADE NORTH
RICHARD JOHNSON
MATT THOMPSON
FRANCO PARISI
LABINOT HALITI
MARK BRIDGE
BRETT STUDMAN
PAUL KOHLER
GUY BATES

from http://www.newcastleunited.com.au/

What do you guys think of the signings?

Which players are past their best, in your opinion, Andy?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cheers for the info, crook.

My mates recently enlisted me as an official football hooligan. Should be fun. :p

crook

Juniors
The only signing that I would say is possibly past his best is Richard Johnson.

But that is only because he has had so many injuries over the last few years. He is a former Premier League player, and he will show it if he stays fit.

Milicic is getting on in years, but as we saw last night - he is still class.

Andy

First Grade
astrogirl said:
JETS SIGNINGS

CRAIG DEANS
ANTE MILICIC
ANDREW DURANTE
NICK CARLE
LIAM REDDY
JOBE WHEELHOUSE
STUART MUSIALIK
STEVE EAGLETON
JADE NORTH
RICHARD JOHNSON
MATT THOMPSON
FRANCO PARISI
LABINOT HALITI
MARK BRIDGE
BRETT STUDMAN
PAUL KOHLER
GUY BATES

from http://www.newcastleunited.com.au/

What do you guys think of the signings?

Which players are past their best, in your opinion, Andy?

Richard Johnson, Craig Deans and Ante Milicic are all in ther early 30's and I can't see them playing well for much longer. Only super fit players play until their mid 30's. Andy Roberts, former Newcastle United defender, was renound for being one of the fittest plaers in the NSL for years and only managed to play until he was 33.

There are other younger players in the squad, but I think their besr football is in the past and they're in the twilight of their careers.

astrogirl

First Grade
Bugger. Am I supporting a dud team?

Not that it really matters - I think deep down it would feel wrong to support a Sydney team where there's a Newcastle team in the comp...

Andy

First Grade
The Jets certainly won't be a dud team. It's their competitive longevity that concerns me.

On the bright side however, I know for sure that at least 7 of the players named in the squad are under 24.

crook

Juniors
The majority of our players are under 24.

I wouldn't say that 30 is too old, but your right Andy, they only have 3 or 4 more years left in them.

We have 3 or 4 Young Socceroos, 3 or 4 current Socceroos. Haliti is an awesome player from Kosovo, but I'm not sure which country he will represent in the future.

Is Kosovo even a country or is it part of Serbia & Montenegro??

Anywho, it definitely won't be a dud team.

Latest posts