What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW - 2023

Absolute f**king madness.
That was more or less Billy Slater's appraisal of the two disallowed tries on Sunday.

Perhaps if someone with his standing in the game continues to call it out, we might get some relief from obstruction derangement syndrome.

His salient point was that neither "obstruction" had any impact on the play. The bunker might as well go trawling through footage from 5 minutes earlier at the other end of the pitch.

Absolute blooming blinking flipping cotton-picking madness.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Some of the more recent players are better than the older ones. Ruan does know her stuff and her comment wasn't far off. Southwell had played some TG for Newcastle and some HNWP but alot of 7s rugby. Al least she wasn't gushing about how wonderful JS was while we are watching her make another defensive error.
She will be a wonderful player but she still needs time

Ruan does know her stuff and her comment wasn't far off. Southwell had played some TG for Newcastle and some HNWP but alot of 7s rugby.
The comment was a million miles off.

Jesse Southwell was a Kotara Bears junior. Apart from the TG Cup appearances, played RL since the age of 5. Then last year Ruan decides to inform viewers that this is "her first game of Rugby League".

It's the same lazy media misinformation that launders junior League from the personal histories of Joseph Suaalii or Cameron Murray to give them a pristine "Rugby background". Happened to Wally Lewis, back in the day.

Apey

Staff member
Knights vs Raiders is a very good game so far. Recommend rewatching the first half if you missed it. Only 4 - 0 but it's been a good show of NRLW.

10$ Ferret

Staff member

Jesse Southwell was a Kotara Bears junior. Apart from the TG Cup appearances, played RL since the age of 5. Then last year Ruan decides to inform viewers that this is "her first game of Rugby League".

It's the same lazy media misinformation that launders junior League from the personal histories of Joseph Suaalii or Cameron Murray to give them a pristine "Rugby background". Happened to Wally Lewis, back in the day.
Hey I am good at being wrong :)
I guess I was surprised because Ruan does know her RL

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

To understand what`s going on here you`d probably have to live in Australia. People like Ruan Simms and Andrew Johns most likely grew up in low socio-economic areas, attended public (Gov`t) schools and more than likely were poor students academically. Knowing this you would understand the inferiority complex that a lot of these people have in regards to private schools, their students and the image they work so hard on projecting.
I was fortunate enough to attend university and reside in a residential college heavily populated with private school students and got to see up close that they certainly weren`t smarter than anyone else ( certainly more full of themselves) and I always said that it was the intelligent public school kids who were far more interesting and not look like they all came out of the same cookie-cutter.
Johns` is probably the worst, he seems to revel in mentioning schools like `Scots college` and using the word rugby in almost every broadcast and at any opportunity. The whole thing only makes League like we have one big inferiority complex.

To understand what`s going on here you`d probably have to live in Australia.
Not conversant with the specifics of an Aussie inferiority complex but the generic League cringe is all-too familiar. Come the day, we'll load up the tumbrils with Union poshos and sycophancy will end once and for all.

Pending the revolution, slightly more conscientious RL punditry wouldn't go amiss. Two minutes research on each player should suffice. Armed with accurate info, they could dispense with the "Rugby background" platitudes.

In the NRLW era, a typical back story is junior League from age 4 or 5, have to stop playing aged 12, Rugby 7s at high school, then come back to League at open age. Cue killer question from dozy NRL journo - "How are you adapting to League, coming from a Rugby background?"

It then falls to the interviewee whether she wants to explain that playing RL is nothing new. That she has a League background then took up RU, not the other way round.

There might be a bit less of this dross in future now that girls can play through the grades.

Last edited:
Knights vs Raiders is a very good game so far. Recommend rewatching the first half if you missed it. Only 4 - 0 but it's been a good show of NRLW.
Agreed. Second half and result was a little disheartening in that Raiders are the better team to watch. Knights are a baddass machine with the big forwards.

Extra point of interest for me. This game was the first time in NRLW that two English girls faced each other.

Down side was the crowd, announced as 1962. And no appearance in the Fox top 20, cut-off point 23k. A game as good as Raiders/Knights deserves more fans and viewers.

The FIFA women's WC was an altogether different affair for all sorts of reasons. Nonetheless I was hoping the huge Matildas crowds and ratings might be a rising tide lifting other women's codes.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
A few of the games lately , although exciting, haven't been to the standard they should.
Last nights game between Sharks and St George was not great. There was some decent defensive efforts, but no one really seemed to get their attack sorted out.

I think the pressure of having to play regularly at a high std win and also the pressure to make the semis are taking a toll on some of the less experienced players

Last nights game between Sharks and St George was not great. There was some decent defensive efforts, but no one really seemed to get their attack sorted out.
I enjoy tight strategic games. And the fact that women can't kick as far as men enhances the territorial ingredient.

Until women's RL crosses the threshold into widespread Aussie public consciousness, might be better for NRLW to cultivate the connoisseur over the dilettante.
I think the pressure of having to play regularly at a high std win and also the pressure to make the semis are taking a toll on some of the less experienced players
You could be succumbing subliminally to a pre-conceived conclusion that more teams and games dilutes the quality. I don't detect any drop in standards.

The congenitally morose RL fan always attributes a team's low position on the ladder to how bad they are rather than how good the higher teams are. More scope for cynics in 2023 when there are nine teams above bottom place as opposed to the three of 2018.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
You could be succumbing subliminally to a pre-conceived conclusion that more teams and games dilutes the quality. I don't detect any drop in standards.

The congenitally morose RL fan always attributes a team's low position on the ladder to how bad they are rather than how good the higher teams are. More scope for cynics in 2023 when there are nine teams above bottom place as opposed to the three of 2018.
no, having been involved in the female game, here in Australia, for several years from TG , HNWP to NRLW, I have seen the game grow. But I am also not wearing the rose coloured glasses and release that there are some players that do not cope with the higher standard for an extended period of time. This will get better. Take tonight's knights v tigers game.. The difference was the quality and experience of the players.
That is why its important to not expand the comp for another couple of years.

There have been some truly great games but some shockers as well. Again tonight's game was 2 halves.

ALX25

Bench
Loved the physicality tonight from Predebon. Hopefully the injuries to the Knights players are just minor niggles.

no, having been involved in the female game, here in Australia, for several years from TG , HNWP to NRLW, I have seen the game grow. But I am also not wearing the rose coloured glasses and release that there are some players that do not cope with the higher standard for an extended period of time.
The pertinent question this year is whether overall standards have fallen due to the expansion of the comp. I don't believe they have. Games inevitably vary in quality whether the comp consists of 4, 6, or 10 teams.

Moreover, we should reflect on how to define standards and for whom. What coaches and officials want to see is not necessarily what fans and viewers want to see. Should NRLW aim to imitate NRL as closely as possible? Is that really the best way to grow the audience?

A game with high completion rates can be turgid to watch. I don't mind errors (within reason) if it means teams are trying to do more with the ball.
That is why its important to not expand the comp for another couple of years.
I expressed a pragmatic view on another thread that the comp shouldn't expand again for an indefinite period. But what about the Warriors?

Anon

Bench
So Parra get the spoon this year with one win while last year they made the grand final having won just one game, and that win was in the last round.

ALX25

Bench
Both games today lived up to finals intensity.

But will Caitlan Johnston miss for that high tackle that 9 didn't want to show? Sheridan Gallagher is battling a clear knee injury as well.

The big surprise was the demise of the Roosters by the less fancied Titans. Perfect blend of youth and experience nullified the Roosters big names.

League guru

Juniors

But will Caitlan Johnston miss for that high tackle that 9 didn't want to show? Sheridan Gallagher is battling a clear knee injury as well.

The big surprise was the demise of the Roosters by the less fancied Titans. Perfect blend of youth and experience nullified the Roosters big names.
So sad for the channel 9 commentary who are obsessed with the Roosters and all their overrated players. Millie Boyle & Kelly were extremely disappointing. Uncle Nick will need to raid half the Titans for next season.

yakstorm

First Grade
It's been great seeing the NRLW finally run for a both a decent amount of time, and get the balance right between who qualifies for finals and who doesn't.

The 3 and 5 round seasons were just too short and really penalised teams who didn't get off to a good start in the first two rounds, and having a top four from six teams unfairly allowed teams like the Eels to make the GF off only 1 win in the regular season.

Overall it was really enjoyable, I just hope for future seasons they can work out better timeslots for the matches. Having NRLW games go head-to-head with NRL Men's Premiership games did hurt viewer numbers this year.

Surely they will move to a top 5 in 2024. - If top 4 - 1 vs 2 (Winner to GF and loser to Prelim) and 3 vs 4 ( Winner to prelim and loser eliminated ) in week 1

The NSWRL are reviewing their comp set up and it looks more than likely that HNWP( Harvey Norman NSW Women's Premiership) will run alongside the NRLW as a reserve grade comp in 2024.

This year HNWP started first weekend of February 23 and Finished the last week of April 23.

NRLW started 22nd July after a 6 or so week pre-season.

Would that be too big a gap - I assume they would start pre-season training for NRLW the end of May or first Week of June.

Unless they are contemplating adding more games . extended Finals Series and or have the comp stop whilst they play SOO as next year I recall will be a 3 game series

Hopefully with 3 SOO games they won't be playing some of these prior to NRLW as they did this year

Too many injuries caught up with them - It was obvious Millie Boyle and Isabelle Kelly carried injuries into that game and no Jessica Sergis ether

During the game Corban Baxter and Amelia Pasikala both sustained high-grade syndesmosis injuries,

Corban was strapped and needled up and came back on but eventually succumbed to the injury

The injury toll was quite extensive as the season progressed - even their assistant strength and conditioning coach - Millicent Scutt had to play so they could field a team vs Cowboys in the last round
  • Corban Baxter (ankle)
  • Amelia Pasikala (ankle)
  • Millie Boyle (Shoulder)
  • Jess Sergis (finger, season)
  • Pani Hopoate (suspended, season)
  • Tyler Bentley (ankle, season)
  • Shawden Burton (knee, season)
  • Amber Hall (ankle, season)
  • Shannon Rose (hand, season)
  • Tavarna Papalii (knee, season)
  • Aliyah Nasio (arm, season)
That's the way it is.