What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW TV ratings killing AFLW

I wonder how they will spin the God-awful offering of yesterday`s two aflw pre-liminary final`s games.
I know in the ` The Australian` they were calling the first game a `thriller`. As I kindly pointed out to them in the comments section 2 goals by one team in 3 & 1/2 quarters of football does not a thriller make, rather a low-scoring fumble-a-thon. Some how I doubt they will put that one up.
But as you say Caroline and Kelly will be talking it up for 15 minutes before they spend 2 minutes focusing on something negative about Rugby League, that`s why I haven`t watched that programme for two years.
The saddest thing is fumbleball fans are so stupid and one-eyed they cannot see the media bias.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
and then you have two games of NRLW today that were all quality.
And the best thing is the broncos got beaten and karma finally caught them and they are not in the GF

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
and then you have two games of NRLW today that were all quality.
And the best thing is the broncos got beaten and karma finally caught them and they are not in the GF
You`re not wrong there, I`d give that second game an eight and a half out of ten. That second half I think there was two errors and the ref finally let the game flow, no imaginary knock-ons, and what a half it was.

siv

First Grade
Be interesting which non Sydney team wins

Illawarra or the Central Coast

Brick Tamland

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...ar-in-bumper-2022-season-20220407-p5abp8.html

NRLW television ratings soar in bumper 2022 season​

By Sam Phillips

April 7, 2022 — 6.02pm

New television ratings data shows a surge in interest in the NRLW competition, with some matches rivalling NRL games for viewers.
On the eve of the first NRLW grand final involving two NSW clubs – the Dragons and Roosters – the Herald has obtained television ratings data for the 2022 season that reveals the extent of the growth of the women’s game.

In 2020 – the last season played due to COVID constraints – the average audience for an NRLW match on Channel Nine was about 98,000 and on Foxtel about 35,000, taking the combined average to about 133,000.
Channel Nine is owned by Nine Entertainment Co, which also owns this masthead.

In 2022, the average audience on Channel Nine has eclipsed the combined average for both broadcasters in 2020. About 150,000 people have tuned in to watch NRLW matches on Channel Nine in metropolitan and regional markets.
The 53 per cent increase in viewers on Nine is reflected in a similar rise on Foxtel, which has seen most games attract between 50,000 and 60,000 viewers.

The highest rating match of the season on Nine – a record-breaking 40-4 win by the Dragons over the Knights – attracted a little more than 142,000 viewers in metropolitan and regional areas on Channel Nine alone.
The combined average of just over 200,000 viewers is about a 50 per cent increase on 2020, and rivals that of NRL and AFL matches that are played in early timeslots on Saturdays and Sundays.

The numbers also vindicate the NRL’s decision to expand to eight teams in 2023 and 10 teams in 2024, as the product has not been diluted by the inclusion of the Titans, Knights and Eels this year.
“Probably the last couple of years, the girls are starting to get a bit more profile,” Jillaroos coach Brad Donald said. “A lot of girls have come back, we have the rugby girls doing really well that have crossed back over, and we have really strong pathways.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/so...o-anything-in-this-world-20220405-p5aays.html
“We’ve had the national competition going for a few years, where all the best under-19s come in from all over the country. That’s certainly helped the depth.
“Development camps since 2018 when the NRLW started – the transition from those players that have been identified and sent home with training programs, a whole bunch of advice on nutrition strength, recovery, a lot of them have stepped up and played NRLW.

“Once they’ve been exposed at that level, they’ve gone away and worked really hard and found themselves with an NRLW contract, which is great.”
Donald flagged star Dragons fullback Emma Tonegato as a likely inclusion in the Australian squad after a brilliant debut season.
Tonegato is also expected to line up for NSW in the highly anticipated return of State of Origin on June 24, following the lead set by fellow cross-code star Evania Pelite. Pelite, who was a standout star for the Titans this season, was named in the Queensland squad on Thursday.
“As soon as the NRLW grand final is over on the weekend, I’m sure Kylie Hilder will be tapping Emma on the shoulder and be asking if she can play in the NSW side,” Donald said.
“Basically, from that point, we would love to see those girls make themselves available. Both of them, they’ve been in the top five players this year.”

Caroline Wilson and Kelli Underwood won't acknowledge the NRLW's success. They're fumbleball ambassadors with a chip the size of Ayres Rock on their shoulder.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
and yet no one televised the Dally Ms
The girls shouldn`t get the Dally M any way:
Not quite sure what your comment has got to do with the success of the Women`s competition. Let`s just celebrate this for what it is ( and the fact they are averaging probably more than double the Men`s union, A-league soccer and aflw.)
What can be a greater motivator for the women playing the game and those thinking of playing it than knowing that on average over 200 000 people are tuning in to watch every match

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Our media is very biased against RL.
I`m sure a lot of that is due to our inability to break out of our lower socio-economic fan base, compounded by a steady drip-feed of poor player behaviour which only reinforces the stereotype of League as a game played by yobs. A stereotype, btw, which I think is largely unfair.
My three kids are at Uni. of NSW; my youngest who is in his second year of medicine and League mad, tells me you wouldn`t know League exists at that university, yet fumbleball is in there all the time giving away tickets and having promotions. Smart, because then you then build a fan base amongst tertiary educated types which of course then includes journalists.
An added bonus is also as well, you then attract that higher type value advertiser and sponsor.

I`m sure a lot of that is due to our inability to break out of our lower socio-economic fan base, compounded by a steady drip-feed of poor player behaviour which only reinforces the stereotype of League as a game played by yobs. A stereotype, btw, which I think is largely unfair.
My three kids are at Uni. of NSW; my youngest who is in his second year of medicine and League mad, tells me you wouldn`t know League exists at that university, yet fumbleball is in there all the time giving away tickets and having promotions. Smart, because then you then build a fan base amongst tertiary educated types which of course then includes journalists.
An added bonus is also as well, you then attract that higher type value advertiser and sponsor.
AwFuL has learnt from the American collegiate system that youth are easy to mould into devoted consumers and followers. Religions and cults target the youth for this reason. Rugby league needs to smarten up and turn children, teens and young adults into devoted followers of the game.

T-Boon

Coach

Rugby League could flip that pretty easily and it is a sign of how lazy and dumb the game is that is cannot be bothered.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyway it is great that the NRLW is rating so well. You would think it would translate into more involvement and more money for the game. Surely they keep the season in March/April from here on in.

Anyway it is great that the NRLW is rating so well. You would think it would translate into more involvement and more money for the game. Surely they keep the season in March/April from here on in.
It also shows that less is more. Not having too many rounds makes each game important.

In an ideal world, we could reduce the NRL to a 16 or 18 week regular season and have it start in May, with the NRLW running for 8 or 10 weeks before it. That will provide plenty of content for the broadcasters. If they wanted more then just turn the NRLW into a 12 week competition.

Latest posts