What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW TV ratings killing AFLW

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Impressive NRLW TV ratings.

NRLW v AFLW ratings 13Mar22.jpg
NRLW (Foxsports and Nine) Average 168,000
AFLW (Foxsports and 7Mate) Average 70,000
Broadcast: Offsiders 13 March 2022)

FTR, the AFL-biased Offsiders show last Sunday tried to make some failed excuses but even they had to admit the figures were impressive.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
According to the AFL TV panel (aka Offsiders), the NRLW season is shorter so that somehow means more viewers.
Nothing to do with the AFLW poaching players, trying to grow too fast or the quality of the actual game.

gUt

Coach
The AFLW scorelines usually reflect the standard of the comp. Meanwhile we have absolute belters of games like Dragons v Broncos last week. The NRLW is legit imo.

Coparugby

Juniors
AFLW resembles what you see when juniors play. It’s a mess compared to the AFLM. While I appreciate the athletes are giving their all, their skill levels leave a lot of room for improvement.

The NRLW has an embarrassment of riches available through both oztag and touch football if any want to cross over to tackle or, more importantly, return to tackle.

They all know how to run, pass and structure their play. That’s partly why the standard is so high and it’s enjoyable to watch.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I will admit the AFLW is getting better. But the strategy of slowly slowly with the NRLW has worked a treat. The standard is there.
But we can't rush it. Don't get caught up with the hype, with the increase of the number of teams to 6 there are some players that are not up to the standard. But saying that there are some that are relative unknowns that have stood up fantastically.

Iamback

Coach
Didn't a side a few weeks ago only score 3 in an AFLW game?

You can say what you want about the respective standard of play but the NRLW scores reflect the NRL. That is what gets viewers coming back

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I will admit the AFLW is getting better. But the strategy of slowly slowly with the NRLW has worked a treat. The standard is there.
But we can't rush it. Don't get caught up with the hype, with the increase of the number of teams to 6 there are some players that are not up to the standard. But saying that there are some that are relative unknowns that have stood up fantastically.
AFLW isn't getting better. Any getting caught up in the 'hype' has been on the AFL.

T-Boon

Coach
they need to keep the season in march/april rather than at the end of the men's season.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think there is clearly a lot of talented women playing AFLW but the game by its nature is an ugly game. IMO that’s what the AFLW is struggling with, even at the pinnacle of the sport it often breaks down to a fumblefest and as you reduce that skill level more the game can be quite ugly.

That’s not the case with rugby league. If anything at lower levels what you tend to see is more free flowing football (because the Defense and fitness tends to be far less) and I think that debatably actually can make the game more enjoyable, like how some people prefer the super league.

Latest posts