What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW TV ratings killing AFLW

Perth Red

Post Whore
The big problem would be that you’re playing the women’s comp in summer. You couldn’t have fixtures during the day (I would imagine) although I might add if summers moving forward are going to be like last summer then it is a possibility.
yeh would need to be evening games. I dont suppose they will all get shown on tv so you could play 3-4 nights a week. Maybe Mar-Apr day games as well with 4 qtrs.

With the money Fox has paid AFL Kayo prices are going to rise. They need something to stop the churn of people turning off in Oct and back on in March. Once prices go up to $40+ a month that then becomes worth the hassle of stopping and restarting the subscription. Kayo will need International RL to fill Oct-Dec and something for Jan-Mar to keep subscribers.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
yeh would need to be evening games. I dont suppose they will all get shown on tv so you could play 3-4 nights a week. Maybe Mar-Apr day games as well with 4 qtrs.

With the money Fox has paid AFL Kayo prices are going to rise. They need something to stop the churn of people turning off in Oct and back on in March. Once prices go up to $40+ a month that then becomes worth the hassle of stopping and restarting the subscription. Kayo will need International RL to fill Oct-Dec and something for Jan-Mar to keep subscribers.
Christ we`d want to be compensated well if we fill those blanks for them, especially since fumbleball have absolutely nothing to offer in those times of year either. Hold on, they could bring back fumbleball-x.
BTW, boy I`d love to see how many people would actually pay to watch fumbleball.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Seeing the impressive audiences makes me think we need to top and tale it with NRL season to get most from its value. With 9 games eventually it cant all be shown if run at same time as NRL. Maybe play Jan-April in a 16 game season when the comp gets to 17 clubs? You could then follow that up with an international series or something.
As for AFLW, might look sht but they keep drawing them in, wasnt there over 10k at NS oval the other week? Marketing over substance if ever you needed evidence!
We?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Seeing the impressive audiences makes me think we need to top and tale it with NRL season to get most from its value. With 9 games eventually it cant all be shown if run at same time as NRL. Maybe play Jan-April in a 16 game season when the comp gets to 17 clubs? You could then follow that up with an international series or something.
As for AFLW, might look sht but they keep drawing them in, wasnt there over 10k at NS oval the other week? Marketing over substance if ever you needed evidence!
A 16 round season? So you'd expect more money from 30% less games?

siv

First Grade
Feb is covered by trials

So having 2 rounds of a knockout comp, WCC and All Stars would cover that month

Dec / Jan is the mandatory RLPA 8w off season period

This used the period of the old period of ESL on TV

Maybe the French RL can step up and fill this void

Billythekid

First Grade
The big problem would be that you’re playing the women’s comp in summer. You couldn’t have fixtures during the day (I would imagine) although I might add if summers moving forward are going to be like last summer then it is a possibility.

Our sport is mostly played at night anyway.
Feb is covered by trials

So having 2 rounds of a knockout comp, WCC and All Stars would cover that month

Dec / Jan is the mandatory RLPA 8w off season period

This used the period of the old period of ESL on TV

Maybe the French RL can step up and fill this void
Feb really isn’t covered by trials and there is plenty of room for the womens game there.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Feb really isn’t covered by trials and there is plenty of room for the womens game there.
Interesting, it could also be an opportunity to experiment with moving the women`s game to 20 minute quarters with the associated benefits to broadcasters, advertisers and the League providing more content.

Colk

First Grade

Sure but if you were to have say 18 teams would it not be difficult to have every game at night? I guess as an aside there would not be much in the way of competition at that time so I guess you could simulcast a lot of the games.

Billythekid

First Grade
Sure but if you were to have say 18 teams would it not be difficult to have every game at night? I guess as an aside there would not be much in the way of competition at that time so I guess you could simulcast a lot of the games.
On the flip side once we get up to that many teams when could you really play the comp during the NRL season without relegating the womens comp entirely?

I don’t think day games are impossible, as said above we may just have to experiment with 4 quarter games.

It’s hard to say for sure what the best way to go is but I think we should definitely consider a summer comp.

Colk

First Grade
On the flip side once we get up to that many teams when could you really play the comp during the NRL season without relegating the womens comp entirely?

I don’t think day games are impossible, as said above we may just have to experiment with 4 quarter games.

It’s hard to say for sure what the best way to go is but I think we should definitely consider a summer comp.

I agree on the flip side and that’s why I suggested it. There’s a couple of other reasons: you could experiment with simulcast games to see how it affects ratings and also you can provide league content for the whole year

Steel Saints

Juniors
Ok, here is a draft on how to structure an eventual 18 NRLW comp.

If NRLW was to become a good standard 18 team comp, then you could commence it on the first game of men's Origin, and stop the NRL entirely. We won't have the farcical situation of players missing club games due to origin and it gives free space to the women's comp.

You could start NRLW in early June and finish it in late November.

So this gives 26 weeks for the women's game. Each team plays each other once, 17 games. With an odd number, NRLW can have a magic round or a round in the bush. Have that round after the NRL GF.

Plus each team has two byes. A player that is not involved in Origin could have five weeks off during the season. But it's good, because it gives the players enough time to recover from any injuries, and it keeps the standard of the comp at a reasonable level.

There's also a three match stand alone origin series (No NRLW when Origin is played) to be played over a six week period from late July to the final round of NRL.

You have a four week finals series in the month of November, and test football to be played in February.

PS: Or have a three week top 6 finals series and start the comp a week later back in June.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
It was weird when not a soul in the stadium clapped or cheered at the end of the game. If fell flat. Assume no Knights fans could get tickets?
Surely better to have played that game last night in Newcastle or Parra?

Billythekid

First Grade
It was weird when not a soul in the stadium clapped or cheered at the end of the game. If fell flat. Assume no Knights fans could get tickets?
Surely better to have played that game last night in Newcastle or Parra?
Absolutely. It’s such a shame because this a chance to move the GF around rather than getting bogged down with only Sydney GF’s. Have the GF move around depending on who’s the top seed, it would be hype as f**k having it in places like Canberra, Newcastle, NQLD.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Absolutely. It’s such a shame because this a chance to move the GF around rather than getting bogged down with only Sydney GF’s. Have the GF move around depending on who’s the top seed, it would be hype as f**k having it in places like Canberra, Newcastle, NQLD.
For the most part the NRLW has been a missed opportunity.

The NRLW was a golden opportunity for RL to appeal to whole demographics of people whom aren't traditionally interested in the NRL, but the NRL and ARLC ignored that to instead appeal to the pre-existing support base whom, for the most part, are totally apathetic to the NRLW's existence.

The NRLW could be playing in front of diverse crowds in the thousands by now if the NRL had cared to put some effort in, but that's just it isn't it; they don't care, the NRLW is just a glorified publicity stunt wrapped in a virtue signal to them.

bileduct

Coach
For the most part the NRLW has been a missed opportunity.

The NRLW was a golden opportunity for RL to appeal to whole demographics of people whom aren't traditionally interested in the NRL, but the NRL and ARLC ignored that to instead appeal to the pre-existing support base whom, for the most part, are totally apathetic to the NRLW's existence.

The NRLW could be playing in front of diverse crowds in the thousands by now if the NRL had cared to put some effort in, but that's just it isn't it; they don't care, the NRLW is just a glorified publicity stunt wrapped in a virtue signal to them.

Mate, the pre-existing support base is where 95% of NRLW supporters are going to come from irrespective of where they play these games. The fundamental problem is that women's sport is rubbish.

Look at the AFLW, those first and second year bumper crowds have fallen off and now the vast majority of games have attendances between 500 and 3000. Just like when roller derbies reignited around 2010 and the crowds quickly dissipated when the novelty wore off or people no longer felt obligated to go. Males watch AFLW more than women do because even women don't give a shit about women's sport.

Latest posts