What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW

Benchtiger

Juniors
Hopefully the girls will learn from that loss, injuries didn't help but they had to play to their own strengths and be smarter.On a positive, they hung in there and mounted a comeback .

Nutz

Bench
I decided to watch this one and I'm not disappointed.
The girls got off to a shakey start but are leading at half time.
What caught my eye:
Number 2 Jakiya Whitfeld continues to impress with he elusiveness and speed. An ex Aussie 7's player is a great signing.
Number 8. Sarah Togatuki is a metre eating workhorse, a real standout.
The Curtain girls are becoming tiger cult figures.
Of course number 11 Kezie Apps is leading by example and scored a nice try just before half time. She has been signed to a longer contract than most and is relishing the stability in her life and it's showing in her on field performances.
I love the girls, ggrrrrrr.
20230729_233155.png

Nutz

Bench
Man O Man we missed our co-captain at the end when our stand-in fullback failed to clean up a kick deep down in our end which resulted in NQ scoring the winning try.
I still think we can play better than that.
Noddy needs to regroup and get them focused on winning the next game.

yep. That loss was hard to take. We were making plenty of metres up the middle but fell into the trap of the men's team and didn't support the ball runner. I felt like could have and should have scored about 4 or 5 more tries by doing this.

We definitely missed Lutu's 15 minutes. She must have been injured because she was named to start on Tuesday. Being a 1st year club injuries are going to hurt us, much like they did to the Dolphins around, and just after origin.

Unlike the men's team, that I watch with a fatalistic attitude of them waiting to screw up royally, or getting dudded by the refs......or both, I genuinely get into the women's game.

Nutz

Bench
yep. That loss was hard to take. We were making plenty of metres up the middle but fell into the trap of the men's team and didn't support the ball runner. I felt like could have and should have scored about 4 or 5 more tries by doing this.

We definitely missed Lutu's 15 minutes. She must have been injured because she was named to start on Tuesday. Being a 1st year club injuries are going to hurt us, much like they did to the Dolphins around, and just after origin.

Unlike the men's team, that I watch with a fatalistic attitude of them waiting to screw up royally, or getting dudded by the refs......or both, I genuinely get into the women's game.
Definitely missed her. We are a good side.

Yep couldn't agree more. The last 2 games they've defended their line extremely well for long periods. Right up until the end of the game.

The flair they showed in attack in the first game is right out the window now. They seem to be slow in supporting the ball runner up the middle, which is where a lot of our opportunities are.

Once lutu comes back, and gets extra game time, the backine should sort itself out. She has a lot more poise and imagination.

Having said that it is hard getting used to the week to week grind for any team, especially for a first year team. I can't fault their effort.

Nutz

Bench
One thing that is so obvious is the girls line speed in defense is so slow. The opposition nearly run the 10 metres before being tackled.
Not only does this give cheap metres away it also allows the opposition to get some speed up.
I watched at least 6 set where we kicked on the last, the ball came down on their 20m line and the next thing is they are peppering our tryline..... frustrating to say the least.
On the 5th tackle they should be trying some hard kicked grubbers and kick chase...this may force a mistake. Atm we put up bombs that are sooo short with no pressure.
Our wingers are speedsters and elusive so I don't know why we aren't taking up our settlers near the sideline then swing it across the backline.
Yes I know I've said this several times...the ball is too big and heavy for the women. It needs to be modified so they can kick for goal from the side line or get some distance when going for touch. Atm they are kicking it nearly sideways.
Two games ago they just took the tap because the penalty was centre field.
Dummy half passes and long passes seems like they are trying to throw a medicine ball.
There, I won't bring it up again :D

Remember those yellow balls they used to use in QLD origin home games back in the early 90s? They looked about 3/4 sized and we used to laugh that they were designed for Alfie. They would be perfect

Nutz

Bench
Bring back Alfie's balls for the girls.
Congratulations girls, broke another record today. Our club is on fire, litterally.
SmartSelect_20230826-163614_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Well it didn’t take that long for the tigers rot to set in did it. What a club!!!
Yep. Out of finals contention there as well. Having said that they are the youngest team in the comp, and a first year team with all associated problems like depth etc.

They have had a red hot go but just lack composure and direction in important moments.

But yes. They are the Tigers through and through.......

Nutz

Bench
Yep. Out of finals contention there as well. Having said that they are the youngest team in the comp, and a first year team with all associated problems like depth etc.

They have had a red hot go but just lack composure and direction in important moments.

But yes. They are the Tigers through and through.......
They missed their best players in Apps and Togatuki.
Botille Vette-Welsh was a huge disappointment for me. She is one of the most experienced players and she let bombs bounce and seemed to be too quiet as the captain. She runs too flat footfooted as well.
The opposite could be said for our winger Jakiya Whitfeld. She is sooo good. I'm bemused to understand why the tiges didn't set play up so she would get the ball. They kept going away from her.
Our ⅝ Rasabale either suffers from asthma or is unfit because after effort plays she struggles to get her breath and is found wanting....her kicking game is atrocious too.
She hasn't the strength to kick men's balls ;)
Get smaller/lighter footballs.

Das Hassler

Bench
Our ⅝ Rasabale either suffers from asthma or is unfit because after effort plays she struggles to get her breath and is found wanting...

Looks like Asthma....pretty sure I just saw her use a puffer and her slightly hunched over stance suggests it as well...I've had lifelong asthma and played near suffocated as a kid when the extreme danger wasn't fully understood. I can sympathize with her completely...it's damn hard and very brave to push herself if it's bad

Nutz

Bench
Completely agree. Whitfield is our best player by a country mile. She looks like she could go all day and could handle extra work.

I'd try her at fullback, possibly 6 in the last 2 games.
Whitfield is an incredible winger. She has the most tackle breaks in the comp and now scores 4 tries for the Aussie PM girls.
Apparently she only signed for 1 year with us so it's crucial that WT signs her up for multiple years.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Jillaroos v Kiwi Ferns

Jakiya Whitfeld is missing on the wing. Surely she must be injured. Jakiya is the DalyM winger fgs??
Great to see Kezie Apps playing well though.
I thought I saw WT Tufuga put in a huge hit just before halftime and
George is playing too I think???

Latest posts