What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup ‘23

Tigerm

First Grade
Perhaps signing Bateman and Papali'i to long-term contracts is also a spur to leave?

There's a spot available at the dogs with Preston currently in that jersey, and it's only just a trip down The Boulevarde from concord.
We’ve done it to other clubs, it happens. Sign em quick if you want to keep them.

Tigerm

First Grade

Wests Tigers trio Daine Laurie, Joe Ofahengaue and David Nofoaluma also had a point to prove after being dropped by Tim Sheens.

Laurie lost his NRL No.1 jersey to Adam Doueihi and returned from injury via the bench. But after just nine minutes against the Storm on Friday night, he backed up for the Magpies on Saturday at Lidcombe Oval in their loss to the Bears.

The 23-year-old set up a try in the 62nd minute and then scored in the 78th minute as part of the Magpies’ fightback that fell short. He also got a linebreak, eight tackle busts and 157 running metres.

Ogahengaue and Nofoaluma were left out of Sheens’ 17 completely.

Ofahengaue played 65 minutes at prop for the Magpies and got through a fair emoung of work, finishing with 132 running metres, two tackle busts and 33 tackles with three misses. Nofoaluma got 116 running metres and looked a shadow of his best.

Speaking of the Tigers, recently released Kitione Kautoga made his Bulldogs’ NSW Cup debut after signing with the club on a development deal last week. The 20-year-old starred in the second row scoring two tries, getting a linebreak, three tackle busts and running for 90 metres. He also made 17 tackles with four misses.

Tigerm

First Grade

Veteran winger Ken Maumalo played his first game for Burleigh in the Queensland Cup after making a mid-season switch to the Titans. He made an impact on his new team, scoring in the sixth minute, getting a linebreak, two tackle busts and 206 running metres in their 14-12 win.

Meanwhile, Joe Ofahengaue and Alex Seyfarth sent a message to Tim Sheens while playing for the Magpies with both forwards making over 200 running metres and over 30 tackles. Ofahengaue made the most metres of any player on the field — 240 — in his 65-minute performance. That came after sitting on the bench as 18th man the night before in the NRL side’s loss to the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium. He made the dash to Sydney the next morning to play for the Magpies at Lidcombe Oval.

Don't know what the f**k is going on.

Daine Laurie showed Tim Sheens what he can offer in the halves with pretty dominant display for the Magpies. Laurie, who was barking orders throughout the 80 minutes, set up two tries, got two linebreaks, two linebreak assists, five tackle busts and ran for 204 metres. He also made 20 tackles with three misses.

That came after Sheens said a game in the halves will “open up another option” for Laurie.

“With Adam (Doueihi) down we do need another pivot so Dane will get the chance to show that... It’s a good chance to have a look at him play in that position in a full game,” Sheens told reporters last Saturday.

“He’s played wing for the All Stars but he’s not a winger — it’s not his best position. He needs a hand on the ball and a little bit of passing. You can’t do much better than six so I’m pretty comfortable that he’ll handle that and in doing so that will open up another option for him.”

Shawn Blore was also dropped back to NSW Cup with the aim of getting more game time into his legs. Blore played 80 minutes and finished with a try, a linebreak, three tackle busts and ran for 153 metres, while making 29 tackles with two misses.

In the same game veteran winger David Nofoaluma returned from a foot injury, finishing the game with 132 metres and three tackle busts.

Tigerm

First Grade
Daine Laurie showed Tim Sheens what he can offer in the halves with pretty dominant display for the Magpies. Laurie, who was barking orders throughout the 80 minutes, set up two tries, got two linebreaks, two linebreak assists, five tackle busts and ran for 204 metres. He also made 20 tackles with three misses.

That came after Sheens said a game in the halves will “open up another option” for Laurie.

“With Adam (Doueihi) down we do need another pivot so Dane will get the chance to show that... It’s a good chance to have a look at him play in that position in a full game,” Sheens told reporters last Saturday.

“He’s played wing for the All Stars but he’s not a winger — it’s not his best position. He needs a hand on the ball and a little bit of passing. You can’t do much better than six so I’m pretty comfortable that he’ll handle that and in doing so that will open up another option for him.”

Shawn Blore was also dropped back to NSW Cup with the aim of getting more game time into his legs. Blore played 80 minutes and finished with a try, a linebreak, three tackle busts and ran for 153 metres, while making 29 tackles with two misses.

In the same game veteran winger David Nofoaluma returned from a foot injury, finishing the game with 132 metres and three tackle busts.
Would be interesting to see how Laurie and Wakeham went in the halves for a few games?

For me personally, I hope we never see Nofo back in the NRL team again.

Fordy20

Juniors
I wouldn't blame him for wanting to go back to the Storm after getting a taste for what a professionally run organisation is like. A swap for Wishart or Pezet would be a win/win for all IMHO

Tigerm

First Grade

Blake Mozer (Magpies)​

Mozer set the tone early for the Magpies against the Blackhawks, scoring a try in the seventh minute.

He finished with three tackle breaks and made a team-high 31 tackles.

The young hooker only played 47 minutes but was a significant contributor to his side.

Tigerm

First Grade

Blake Taaffe (Rabbitohs)​

Taaffe was instrumental in the Bunnies' 28-26 win over the Roosters, scoring 16 of his side's points.

He bagged a try on either side of halftime, assisted one himself and ran for 176 metres in a top performance at fullback.

The 24-year-old was also reliable from the kicking tee, slotting four of his five conversions and helping his team secure the two-point victory.

Should injuries hit Souths, Taaffe continues to prove his ability to be a trustworthy replacement.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Another good result

I note Kade Hill is the 7, does anyone know anything about him?

i think he played some jnr reps for qld, not sure how as hes never really stood out even in flegg. btw looks like hes been dropped this week for tony Pellow who we brought down from qld cup

sadly the only good junior halves we have in the system are all 16/17

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
i think he played some jnr reps for qld, not sure how as hes never really stood out even in flegg

sadly the only good junior halves we have in the system are all 16/17
I know it’s early days & may come to nothing but this yrs Balmain sg ball halfback Alex Conti looks a good one.He ticks the boxes is very ambitious & has a strong work ethic.Only downside is I heard from my very reliable source in balmain juniors that Anasta has him on his books so expect him to b in the rorters system soon.

Latest posts