What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup 2008 season

For me what is surprising is that the Bears are having such a good year, whereas the Bunnies aren't setting the world on fire in 1st grade. Normally when the NRL side is going well the Magoos also do well, like Easts and Newtown this year...

2 True Blues

Coach
Manly are the only surprise in the top 4.

Jets had a rebuilding year last year but whenever the Roosters are strong they will remain that way. And Norths are last years runners up with Wenty being like a defending premier.

Manly are usually very strong in this comp. Taking into account the absence of the Canberra raiders, and st george ( who are always usually in the top 8 come this time of year ).

But Jets actually lost half a side mid season last year when players like Soward, tonga, lewis etc made mid season club changes and went straight to the NRL for that matter, for those NEW clubs.

This season we have about a dozen of " our own " signings who have been going very well for us, so are carryin our own in the partnership with the Roosters.

*** Looking at how bad Wenty are going in Beam cup leaves me wondering how many Wenty signings are actually playing in the NSWRL comp etc, however they (Parra!!) are always strong. ***

2 True Blues

Coach
For me what is surprising is that the Bears are having such a good year, whereas the Bunnies aren't setting the world on fire in 1st grade. Normally when the NRL side is going well the Magoos also do well, like Easts and Newtown this year...

Mate I was just saying that the other day to some blokes on the Souths forum. Cant remember a time it has happened actually.

Norths will get a chance this weekend though with 5 or 6 souths players dropped for being over the NIL alcohol limit at training etc. Cpt KIDWELL included. :crazy::sarcasm::crazy:

Inferno

Coach
Are the teamlists for NSWCUP up anywhere? I was hoping to see the Cobras but the Sharks site hasn't put it up yet, and probably won't because the Sharks have the bye this week.

girvie

Staff member
The only match this weekend is the Knights against Wests up at Newcastle on Saturday.

2 True Blues

Coach
Whats the go with this farkin split Rd stuff. back and forth like a yo yo. First Jets have one week off. Then it changes to 2. now back to one week again.:crazy::crazy:

2 True Blues

Coach

I was just having a closer look at the current table. With Jets beating Canterbury last weekend ( who were and are still in 8th spot on 4 points ), the door is really open for Wests to jump into the top 8. A win against Newcastle will see the Maggies in 8th position on 6 points, and a game clear of those behind them.

Very important game for the Maggies this weekend. Season turning even. ;-).

girvie

Staff member
Report from last weekend

http://www.northshoretimes.com.au/article/2008/04/30/3836_sports.html

NORTH Sydney beat Balmain Ryde-Eastwood 42-16 for their seventh consecutive win of the season at North Sydney Oval on Sunday.

The Bears scored nine tries to Balmain's three.

"We're playing very attractive football," coach Wayne Lambkin said. "Our wingers Nathanael Barnes and John Tamanika scored three tries each."

The unbeaten Bears lead the NSW Cup ladder by three points.

Lambkin compared the Bears' comeback from last season's grand final defeat to the Melbourne Storm's resurgence after their NRL grand final loss to the Broncos in 2006.

The Bears' impressive record this season has not only boosted confidence within the club but has spread to the fans.

"It's funny we played at Parramatta the other week and there were more Norths and Souths supporters than there were Parramatta fans," Lambkin said.

"And there were more great red and black turnouts for our games against Newtown and Balmain.

"Our fans don't come to our games wondering if we are going to win anymore.

"They come expecting us to win and that's good for us."

The Bears have a bye this weekend before facing Auckland at home in two weeks.

"The bye is definitely a good thing we played on Sunday with four players out because of injuries so it'll give everyone a chance to freshen up," Lambkin said.

"Auckland are a big side so we'll have to be on our game."

NORTH SYDNEY 42 (N Barnes 3, J Tamanika 3, J Simpson, D Widders, Y Gordon tries; C Herekotukutuku 2, G Nichols goals) d BALMAIN RYDE-EASTWOOD 16 (3 tries, 2 goals).

yappy

Bench
Yep 2TB. I think we all know how important tomorrow is. Win that we go into the 8 and have a game next week against the Cobras. City Country hasn't helped us though with, Ryan, Trimarchi, Gallant and I think O'Hara (not sure if he's right to play yet) all on stand by in case of injuries to Tigers players. Gray Viane is in to make his first appearance for us, so hopefully he can make a big impact (bit short of a gallop), and Rysko is back from being injured by you nasty Jets.

Toa will be looking to have a big game against us, and the Knights have a fair smattering of talent through the side, but if they play with the intensity they showed at their last outing we'll win.

2 True Blues

Coach
Fingers crossed you did mate ?? Any scores ?

Hope ya softened em up for the jets next weekend at Henson too.

Roland

Juniors
Wests website says that Magpies beat Central Newcastle 32-28. Also read on RLeague that 5 Newtown players played for Chester Hill tonight.

2 True Blues

Coach
Awesome. Maggies in the 8 with Jets and Norths. Great stuff. !!!!!!!

Does not surprise me that jets had a run with Rhino's as we have a BYE this weekend mate. Good to see some blokes did not have a week of then afterall. Any names ???

2 True Blues

Coach
Thanks buddy, But was that Ben green mate ??? There are two Greens. Any scores and who did they play ?

Cheers mate;-)

2 True Blues

Coach
Thanks mate. FMD... Good to see the effort was put in by the lads ( LMAO ), cant believe they all actually played though with that result. Unless they r fumin at the drop etc.