What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup 2008 season

2 True Blues

Coach
1:NORTH SYDNEY BEARS

2:MANLY SEA EAGLES
3:WENTWORTHVILLE
4:NEWTOWN JETS
5:AUCKLAND VOLCANS
6:CENTRAL COAST STORM
7:CENTRAL NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
8:WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES
BULLDOGS
WINDSOR WOLVES
BALMAIN RYDE TIGERS
CRONULLA COBRAS
02​

Ladder Points
Win - 2pts
Draw - 1pt
Loss - 0pts​

imasharkie

Coach
Cobras Team v Wests

1. Warren Dixon
2. Mitch Brown
3. Karlos Filiga
4. Felinga Filiga
5. Harry Berryman
6. Travis Robinson
7. Blake Green
8. Eddie Su’a
9. James Storer
10. Sam Moa
11. Jacob Selmes
12. Isaac Retzlaffe
13. Grant Millington
14. Dean Peters
15. Victor Ioane
17. Sam Buden
19. Anthony Killigbeck
21. Brent Rae-Miller
22. Daniel Rauvicava
23. Nigel Millgate

girvie

Staff member
Rd 8 NSW Cup
North Sydney v Auckland
Saturday 10 May, 2008
North Sydney Oval
2.30pm

1. Samu Wara
2. Nathanael Barnes
3. Greg Nichols
4. Jamie Simpson
5. Shaune Corrigan
6. Ben Rogers
7. Jeremy Smith
8. Scott Geddes
9. Charlie Herekotukutuku
10. Ryan Verlinden
11. Jaiman Lowe
12. Yileen Gordon
13. Ben Lowe

14. Daniel Sayegh
15. John Koborsi
16. Sean Dalton
17. Matt Hunt
18. Dave Wynyard

Coach – Wayne Lambkin

2 True Blues

Coach
Cobras Team v Wests

1. Warren Dixon
2. Mitch Brown
3. Karlos Filiga
4. Felinga Filiga
5. Harry Berryman
6. Travis Robinson
7. Blake Green
8. Eddie Su’a
9. James Storer
10. Sam Moa
11. Jacob Selmes
12. Isaac Retzlaffe
13. Grant Millington
14. Dean Peters
15. Victor Ioane
17. Sam Buden
19. Anthony Killigbeck
21. Brent Rae-Miller
22. Daniel Rauvicava
23. Nigel Millgate

Travis ROBINSON is a good player.;-) But Wests are on a roll !!!

2 True Blues

Coach
Rd 8 NSW Cup
North Sydney v Auckland
Saturday 10 May, 2008
North Sydney Oval
2.30pm

1. Samu Wara
2. Nathanael Barnes
3. Greg Nichols
4. Jamie Simpson
5. Shaune Corrigan
6. Ben Rogers
7. Jeremy Smith
8. Scott Geddes
9. Charlie Herekotukutuku
10. Ryan Verlinden
11. Jaiman Lowe
12. Yileen Gordon
13. Ben Lowe

14. Daniel Sayegh
15. John Koborsi
16. Sean Dalton
17. Matt Hunt
18. Dave Wynyard

Coach – Wayne Lambkin

Good to see the in flux of some Bear heart giving the rabbits their first win of the season the other day mate. Aukland are going pretty well too, not to be underestimated. Should be a good game.

2 True Blues

Coach
Good year for you blokes in the NRL thus far Imasharkie. long time no chat either, hope you have been keeping well up there in god's country mate.

imasharkie

Coach
Good year for you blokes in the NRL thus far Imasharkie. long time no chat either, hope you have been keeping well up there in god's country mate.
Hey True Blue.
Good to see you around and chatting.
Looks like I'll be down for the Sharks v Manly game this year. think it is 12/7 not to sure.
Hopefully Newtown are playing at Henson Park on that weekend, I'll make the trek to catch up with you at that bar you spruke about and enjoy a cold one with you.
Don't know if I ever mentioned to you that I used to work in Camperdown and spent a lot of times at Henson many many years ago. Still remember one of those games. The Manfred ? game. Well promoted by Singo and got a great crowd. How funny was it when he passed the ball forward NFL style..........ahh the good old days.

We play Windsor @ Windsor this week. Should be a close game based on both teams, we're without Dave Williams who moves up to the NRL.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles got done in this one. Hopefully not though.

2 True Blues

Coach
Hey True Blue.
Good to see you around and chatting.
Looks like I'll be down for the Sharks v Manly game this year. think it is 12/7 not to sure.
Hopefully Newtown are playing at Henson Park on that weekend, I'll make the trek to catch up with you at that bar you spruke about and enjoy a cold one with you.
Don't know if I ever mentioned to you that I used to work in Camperdown and spent a lot of times at Henson many many years ago. Still remember one of those games. The Manfred ? game. Well promoted by Singo and got a great crowd. How funny was it when he passed the ball forward NFL style..........ahh the good old days.

I was at that game too mate. No sh*t. :lol:

Yeah I just heard that Fox 2 is going to show the Jets versus Newcastle game next wednesday night. Will be looking forward to that one.

If I am up that way on 12/7 its sounds like a plan mate. Am living in Canberra at present, so have only seen about half of the games this year. FOX 2 will be a goodsend next week. ;-)

2 True Blues

Coach
We play Windsor @ Windsor this week. Should be a close game based on both teams, we're without Dave Williams who moves up to the NRL.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles got done in this one. Hopefully not though.

Surely Windsor are due to win one soon mate. I thought they would be going better at this stage actually.

imasharkie

Coach
I was at that game too mate. No sh*t. :lol:

Yeah I just heard that Fox 2 is going to show the Jets versus Newcastle game next wednesday night. Will be looking forward to that one.

If I am up that way on 12/7 its sounds like a plan mate. Am living in Canberra at present, so have only seen about half of the games this year. FOX 2 will be a goodsend next week. ;-)
Well this trip I am planning looks like it will come to fruition as we have decided to have two weeks holiday down south.
I'll be going to the sharks v Manly game on the 12/7 and also the Knights game the following weekend so if everything works out I should get to a Bluebags game. Hope you can too mate.
I watched the games on fox2 tonight off and on but I'll make sure I'm tuned into the games next Wednesday to watch the mighty Bluebags give Newy a touch up.
Cheers

Roland

Juniors
There was a story in Rugby League Week a few months ago that said a team called Sunshine Coast was going to join the Queensland Cup next year and Manly were going to fly players up each week to play there.

Has anyone got any info on this?

Roland

Juniors
Manly to invest $1m in Coast league

12:44p.m. 9 November 2007

By Mitchell Dale

The Manly Sea Eagles will invest $1 million in Sunshine Coast rugby league as part of a landmark deal signed today.

The partnership between the Eagles, the Sunshine Coast Falcons and Quad Park will see the Falcons act as a feeder club to the NRL club from 2009. The $1 million injection includes cash, infrastructure, coaching and player talent.

Billed as “the biggest thing to ever happen to rugby league on the Sunshine Coast”, the deal will also see Manly play at least one and possibly two NRL matches against one of the three Queensland clubs – Brisbane, North Queensland or Gold Coast – at Quad Park from 2009.

The Sunshine Coast Falcons FOGS Cup club will be re-named the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles from 2008 and is set to enter the Queensland Cup – the state’s premier rugby league competition – in 2009.

It was also announced this morning that Caloundra mayor Don Aldous will be the No. 1 ticket holder.

Quad Park chairman Tony Long said all sport on the Coast, not just rugby league, would move into a new era as a result of the "visionary partnership".

"The bringing together of a high-profile sport brand, Manly Sea Eagles, the regional representative rugby league team the Falcons, and the regional sports venue Quad Park demonstrates what can be achieved by thinking outside the square," he said.

"The sporting, economic and social benefits that will result from this alliance will have a positive impact on all levels of sport development on the Coast."

Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles CEO Brett Winkler said his club had already received conditional approval for acceptance into the Queensland Cup, provided they strike a deal with Manly and come up with at least $500,000 in sponsorship money.

The Manly deal was rubber-stamped this morning and Winkler said he was “very confident” the club would attract enough sponsorship dollars to be given the green light for a Queensland Cup berth.

“This is by far the biggest thing to ever happen to rugby league on the Sunshine Coast,” Winkler said.

“The deal still hinges on us getting approval from the QRL (for a Queensland Cup team for 2009).

“But the QRL have been across this for yonks. They want us as their 12th team and have given us conditional approval.

“Now the Sunshine Coast community has to come up with the half-a-million dollars in sponsorship because you need $700,000 a year to run a Queensland Cup team.”

While Winkler has already canvassed a number of Sunshine Coast businesses and said he had good corporate support, he stressed that the buck would stop with local businesses and rugby league fans.

“If we do not get that sponsorship money and community support, we will not get a Queensland Cup team and there will not be an NRL game up here,” he said.

“The community must back us if they want the candy that comes with it.

“But it all looks very good at this stage.”

2 True Blues

Coach
Well this trip I am planning looks like it will come to fruition as we have decided to have two weeks holiday down south.
I'll be going to the sharks v Manly game on the 12/7 and also the Knights game the following weekend so if everything works out I should get to a Bluebags game. Hope you can too mate.
I watched the games on fox2 tonight off and on but I'll make sure I'm tuned into the games next Wednesday to watch the mighty Bluebags give Newy a touch up.
Cheers

Sounds good mate. Dont know my plans yet though mate. Just went and checked the games for you though.

At this stage : ( NSWRL does sometime change at short notice though not too often ),

Jets Play Cronulla Cobra's at Henson Park on Saturday 12th July,
3pm kickoff.

and

Jets play away the following weekend, would have to check out www.nswrl.com.au to find out against whom , and where though, mate.;-)

Yeah I can't believe the Bags will be playing on TV again. Awesome stuff. Hope they turn up to play this Saturday and make the re-run game on TV worth the watch though. They have a history of stumbling at opportunity this club. And winning when it dont count as much. Though the lads kept Canterbury scorless ( 32 to nil ) last game, and that is rare to keep another team scoreless in this comp at this level. In fact it is the first time it has happened all this season, and rarely does at all, so I will have my hopes up.

Though Roosters are resting a few this weekend, Willie Mason included, so who knows mate.

girvie

Staff member
Giant Bear On Loose

By Mitchell Dale in Rugby League Week.

It’s appropriate that Ryan Verlinden has found a home at Bear Park, because this bloke has all the strength of a grizzly.

Put simply, he is a freak, capable of bench pressing and dead lifting 240kg, while he can squat a massive 210kg.

“I’ve never seen someone like him,” North Sydney strength and conditioning coach Brice Johnson says. “Normally someone with his power-to-weight ratio would weigh 75/80kg.

“He is absolutely unbelievable. It’s amazing what he can do. He’s one very impressive specimen.”

But there’s more to Verlinden’s game than brute force.

A former centre, the 117kg giant is also remarkably quick for someone his size.

“His mobility is scary,” Johnson says. “He keeps up with the outside backs over 20-30 metres when he has a go.”

While Verlinden has always been speedy, he says the size is only a recent development.

“While I was in the centres a few years ago I was only about 92kg,” he says. “I was always pretty skinny but then I grew a bit and the strength all sort of came at once.”

Norths coach Wayne Lambkin reckons Verlinden could match muscles with any of the NRL’s big men.

“He comes up behind me at training and throws me around like a rag doll. I’m close to 100kg but it feels like a forklift is picking me up – he just does it so easily,” Lambkin says.

“It’s the same in a game: he lifts people effortlessly.

“I’d love to take him to any NRL gym and back him against anyone and take one dollar for every kilo he lifts heavier than the other guy.”

Lambkin reckons it is only a matter of time before Verlinden is training in an NRL gym full-time anyway.

The 22-year-old has been outstanding this year as the Bears have made an unbeaten start to the season after seven rounds.

" I hope Souths see a position for Ryan next year. If they don't sign him, another NRL club will," Lambkin says.

“He could step up to the NRL and do the job now, but my belief is that he is a 2009 NRL player. He is probably 12-18 months behind the majority of young props because he played most of his junior footy in the centres.”

Verlinden, whose younger sister Laura is Australia’s third fastest female over 100 metres, certainly hopes his coach is right. He is currently working through a PE teaching degree but says he will be happy to put that on hold to pursue a shot at the NRL.

richies

Juniors
hey girvie
is ryan off contract this year or 2009?
hope the dogs can get him back if his being going that good
prop is a position we desperately need

2 True Blues

Coach
Gonna take a "geuss" at the results here :( though some of it is hopeful ). Lol...

Vulcans to beat Norths in a close one.

Jets to win ( though I expect them to lose as this game shall be televised on FOX next week, so surely we shall lose). ( winks ).

Dogs.

Wests.

Windsor/Penrith ( cause they surely cannot keep losing ).

And Parra/Wenty will beat Tig's on Sunday, ( though I hope i am wrong here ).

2 True Blues

Coach
Jets won 30/28 against Knights. However led 26 to nil at halftime break. Wheels fell off in the second half, but the two points is what counts right ??