What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup 2008 season

Stagger eel

Staff member
Just been told that one of our Signings, Mitch Stansfield has decided to take up a short stint in France [St Gaudnes] and will be back to resume his stint with Wenty in May.

girvie

Staff member
Raider#6 said:
Spelling of Wenty contracted player is Abed Atallah
Good Five Eight Used to play against him out in the country Group 9
He played for the Central Coast in Jersey Flegg in 2006 for the first 7 rounds.

But then i think he must of been sick of the travelling so he stopped playing for them.

He was a standout for the Rip in one game i saw them play.

girvie

Staff member
I heard that Sevanaia Koroi who is a Fijian centre on trial with the Wests Tigers will probably end up playing NSW Cup for Western Suburbs.

From Fijian Times:

Koroi chases NRL dream

RODNEY DUTHIE
Monday, January 07, 2008

FROM local competitions to the superdome of rugby league, Fiji Bati Sevanaia Koroi will rub shoulders with some of the game's greatest players.
The Nadera Panthers centre is in Australia attending a trial run with the National Rugby League heavyweights, the West Tigers.
The villager Burenitu, in Ra, marches into the Tigers camp today and will be joined by fellow Bati Tomujani Koroi.
"I am really happy with this opportunity I have been given by the Tigers. I will give 100 per cent and hopefully gain an NRL contract. I can't explain how excited I am," Sevanaia said.
The Fiji Bati regular, who is the cousin of Fiji 7s rugby squad member Neumi Nanuku, received the call from the Tigers after starring for the Bati in the recent international against Tonga, impressing many with his stellar performance.
His agent, Phil Browne said Sevanaia showed the Tongan team, which featured numerous NRL stars, that he could match it with the best.
"The West Tigers got hold of this news and offered Sevanaia and Tomujani Koroi trials with the NRL club," Browne said.
"It was an amazing year for Seva in 2007.
"He just recently signed a three-year sponsorship deal with leading compression garment manufacturers, Skins.
"Not long after, the West Tigers offered a trial.
"I think 2008 will be an even better year for Seva, especially with the Rugby League World Cup in October."
Fiji National Rugby League chairman Peni Musunamasi said Sevanaia left the country on Saturday after playing against the Fiji 7s team on Friday.
Musunamasi said Sevanaia was a dedicated player who had risen to the top level since joining the sport in late 2005.
"He was a rugby union player and represented Ra.
He only joined league about two years ago," Musunamasi said.
"He is a very dedicated player and shows a lot of sacrifice. He was selected into the Fiji Bati side in 2006 and played in the World Cup qualifiers."
If successful in signing a contract with the Tigers, Sevanaia will gain automatic qualification into the Fiji Bati side for the World Cup.
Other NRLplayers who will play for the Bati are Wes Naiqama, Ashton Sims, John Sutton, Akuila Wati and Daryl Millard. Fiji is grouped with France and Scotland in Pool B.
The Bati face France on November 1 at the WIN Stadium in Wollongong.
Its second pool match against Scotland will be played at the Bluetongue Stadium in the Central Coast on November 5.

Also, Fijian Sun:

Sevanaia living out a dream

Last updated 1/7/2008 7:59:04 AM
2007 has been an amazing year for Sevanaia Koroi.

Seva as he is otherwise known has won a gold medal at the Pacific Games, represented the Vodafone Fiji Bati against Tonga, signed a three - year sponsorship deal and was offered a trial with NRL heavyweights, the Wests Tigers.
Not to mention scoring the Nadera Panthers winning try in the FNRL grand final. Not a bad year at all!
The Vodafone Fiji Bati regular who is the cousin of Digicel Fiji 7's Rugby squad member, Neumi Nanuku, starred for the Bati in the recent international against Tonga and impressed many with his stellar performance.
The Tongan team which featured numerous NRL stars showed that Sevanaia could match it with the best. The Wests Tigers got hold of this news and offered Sevanaia Koroi and Tomujani Koroi trials with the NRL club.
The Nadera Panther was delighted to hear of his offer to trial with the Wests Tigers.
"I am really happy with this opportunity I have been given by the Tigers. I will give 100% and hopefully gain an NRL contract" Koroi said.
Seva who hails from the Burenitu village in the Ra province starts training with the Wests Tigers today (January 7).
"I can't explain how excited I am" Koroi said.
Koroi's agent, Phill Browne added, "It was an amazing year for Seva in 2007. He just recently signed a 3- year sponsorship deal with leading compression garment manufacturers, Skins. Not long after, the Wests Tigers offered a trial. I am really happy for Seva"
"I think 2008 will be an even better year for Seva, especially with the Rugby League World Cup in October" Browne said.
In the 2008 RLWC, Fiji is grouped with France and Scotland in Pool B.
The Vodafone Fiji Bati faces France on November 1 at the WIN Stadium in Wollongong. Its second pool match against Scotland will be played at the Bluetongue Stadium in the Central Coast on November 5.

girvie

Staff member
Here are some gains and losses from the Queensland Cup.

I've bolded the players who are joined a QC club from Premier League or Jersey Flegg and i've bolded the players coming to NSW Cup (including those young enough for NYC).

* I've edited some to from what was on the qrl website to correct or add information.

http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=3561

Queensland Wizard Cup

# Please note: Some clubs are yet to list NRL-contracted players who are dual signed.

WYNNUM MANLY

Gains: David Seage (Newcastle), Dallas McIlwain (Canterbury), Adam Brideson (Canterbury) , Jason Williams (Canberra), Chris Muckert (Aspley), Cameron Joyce (Souths Logan), Matt Seamark (Redcliffe), Jason Poppi (Norths), Kieran Whalley (Souths Logan), Logan Johnston (Norths), Matt Church (Western Districts).

Losses: Albert Talipeau (Souths Logan), Matt Smith (Canberra NYC), Daniel Frame (Retired), Ron Troutman (Retired), Warren Jensen (Northern Pride), Michael Chaplain (unknown), Jim Ahmat (Easts Tigers).

SOUTHS LOGAN

Gains: Josh Cattel (Norths), Josh Essex (Bundaberg), Daniel Joyce (Redcliffe), Alby Talipeau (Wynnum Manly), John Hoyland, Marcus Thompson (Easts Rugby Union), Shay Moylan (Canberra JF).

Losses: Brandon Costin, Mick Anschau (Sunshine Coast), Scott Marks, Daniel Sorbello, Darren Glase, Adrian Maloney (retired), Cameron Joyce, Kieran Whalley, Tom McMillan (Wynnum), Dave Woods, Josh Griffiths (Easts), Tanu Wulf (Newcastle), Mathew Burnham (Newcastle NYC), Josh Peacock, Brett Rolls (overseas), Chris McGuirk, Mathew Briggs (Burleigh), Dennis Conlon (Townsville Brothers).

NORTHS DEVILS

Gains: Ryan Barton (Canberra), John Buckman (Newcastle comp), Trent Callaghan (Aspley), Rod Davies (Brisbane), Troyden Edwards (Brisbane), Jacob Fauid (Brisbane), Michael Green (Aspley), Troy Hansen (Easts), Fletcher Holmes (Aspley), Denan Kemp (Brisbane), Willie Live (Aspley), Joel Moon (Brisbane), Todd Parnell (Aspley), Jack Pearson (Canberra), Haisley Robson (NZ), Billy Rogers (Aspley), Simon Adam (Aspley), Nathan Strudwick (Aspley), Simona Vavega (Aspley).

Losses: Jay Aston (Storm NYC), Brendan Afitu (retired), Scott Anderson (Storm), Russell Aitken (Storm), Aaron Bulow (retired), Will Chambers (Storm), James Crombie (Redcliffe), Liam Foran (Storm NYC), Logan Johnston (Wynnum), Sika Manu (Storm), Aaron Morgan (retired), Jason Poppi (Wynnum), Matt Rua (Storm), James Sharkie (Cronulla NYC), Sam Tagataese (Storm), Josh Tatupu (rugby union), Joel Thompson (Canberra NYC), Aiden Tolman (Storm NYC), Kieran Turner (Cronulla NYC).

IPSWICH JETS

Gains: Luke Gray, Scott Ireland (West Balconnen), Troy O’Sullivan (Canberra), Ian Lacey, (Broncos), Roman Hifo (Waitakare, NZ), Ramon Filipine (North Sydney), Joe Rakei (Waicoa Bay, NZ), Paoa Faamita (Wynnum Manly), Noah Faeo (Goodna Eagles).

Losses: Josh Costello, Tyson Lofipo (Titans), Joel Riethmuller, Gordon Rattler (Northern Pride), Ricky Bird (West End), Cameron Mulcahy (work), Paul Jackwitz (Fassifern), Mathew Cameron (Brothers Ipswich), Jarrod Biggs (Ipswich Norths).

REDCLFFE DOLPHINS

Gains: Liam Georgetown (Penrith), Wayne Bond (Penrith JF), James Shillington (Sydney City/Newtown), Brian West (St George Illawarra), James Crombie (Norths), Craig Heslop (NZ), Piripi Neho-Popata (NZ), Lachlan Morgan (Aspley)

Losses: Pat Gardner (Easts), Rory Bromley (France), Alwyn Simpson (retired), Adam Starr (Western Districts).

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS

Gains: Jonathan Freeman (Balmain JF 06), Ben Matterson (Norths Devils).

Losses: Nat Barnes (South Sydney), David Myles (retired), Joshua Vaughan (Northern Pride), Andrew Moroney (UK).

NORTHERN PRIDE

Squad: Brett Anderson (Cowboys Young Guns), Ryan Bartlett (Cowboys/Young Guns), Chey Bird (Townsville Brothers), Greg Byrnes (Cowboys/Young Guns), Drew Campbell (Ivanhoes), Mark Cantoni (Brisbane Easts), Warren Jensen (Wynnum Manly), Ben Kerr (Innisfail), Ben Laity (Brisbane Easts), Ritchie Marsters (Tully), Adam Mills (Atherton Roosters), Hezron Murgha (Yarrabah Seahawks), Gordon Rattler (Ipswich), Joel Riethmuller (Ipswich), Jason Roos (Mareeba), Chris Sheppard (Mareeba), Stephen Sheppard (Burdekin), Alex Starmer (Ivanhoes), Noel Underwood (Yarrabah), Josh Vaughan (Tweed Heads), Eric Warria (Northern Territory), Farran Willett (Yarrabah), Joshua Wehi (Tully).

CENTRAL COMETS

Gains: David Taylor (Broncos), Liam Anlezark (Penrith comp), Shannon Wood (Penrith JF), Algon Congoo (Redcliffe), Andrew Dale (from retirement), Jared Hoare (Rockhampton Brothers), Steve Lill (Rockhampton Brothers), James Radloff (Gladstone), Luke Scott (Norths Rockhampton), Logan Sullivan (Redcliffe), Saul Terere (Emerald), Dallas Williams (from year off), Justin Wills (Longreach).

Losses: Geoff Black (retired), Pat Dall (released), Ben Farrell (Easts), Steve Farrelly (Burleigh), Brendan Gibb (Broncos), Kane Hardy (coaching), Darren Kingi (released), Yoren Major (released), Kristian Mene (released), Cheyenne Motu (Fitroys), James Munns (Cowboys), Cody Norton (Mackay Cutters), Peter Penaia (Mackay Souths), Mark Siniula (released), Shannon Stitt (released), Aidan Te Puke (released), George Tuakura (Fitzroys).

EASTS TIGERS

Gains: Charlie Tonga (Sydney City/Newtown), Pat Gardner (Redcliffe), Liam Campbell (Penrith), Nathan Pill (Penrith JF), Matt Gruszka (Wentworthville), Josh Griffiths (Souths), Alex Fata (Ipswich), Fabian Soutar (Auckland), Matt Jobson (Souths Newcastle), Jim Ahmat (Wynnum Manly), Ben Farrell (Comets).

Losses: Mark Cantoni (Northern Pride), Ben Laity (Northern Pride), David Tyrrell (South Sydney NYC), Luke Capewell (South Sydney NYC), Junior Seumanutafa (South Sydney NYC), Damian Durnford (retired).

BURLEIGH BEARS

Gains: Scott Smith (North Queensland), Brent McConnell (Aspley), Troy Savage (Sydney City/Newtown), Jamie Judge (Canterbury), Adam Fielder (Canterbury), Brett O’Farrell (France), Nick Doig (St George Illawarra), Dave Tehuia (Canterbury), Steve McPhee (Parramatta JF), Kurt Sorensen (Newcastle), Hayden Jeans (Newcastle JF), Chris Barnes(DNP), Kiel Jaeger (Tweed), Scott Hartshorn (Sunshine Coast), Pele Peletelese (Tweed).

Losses: Alex Glenn (Broncos), James Griffiths (Titans), Jordan Atkins (Titans), Ryan Gundry (retired), Adam Hayden (retired), Leigh Coghill (retired), Kale Burton (Titans).

MACKAY CUTTERS

Squad: Aaron Barba (Mackay Brothers), James Bryant (Mackay Wests), Anthony Caulton (Mackay Souths), Brendan Crouch (Wattles), Chris Giumelli (Mackay Wests), Daniel Goddard (Mount Isa Wanderers), Sam Granville (Mackay Brothers), Quinton Fielder (Sarina), Daniel Flynn (Sarina), Scotty Leigh (Sarina), Matt Parnis (Mackay Brothers), Matty Mannion (Redcliffe), Jamie McDonald (Toulouse, France), Shane Muspratt (NQ Cowboys), David Nixon (Mackay Brothers), Cody Norton (Central Comets), Jared Owens (Sarina), Michael Pearce (Mackay Souths), Josh Rovelli (Wynnum Manly), Adam Schubert (Sydney City/Newtown), Todd Seymour (Mackay Souths), Luke Srama (Mackay Souths), Kerrod Toby (Mackay Souths), Timote Williams (Menindee), Luke Young (Celtic Crusaders), John Doyle (retirement).

richies

Juniors
dogs

Brent Crisp.....no1/2/3
Lorenzo Ma’afu....no.10/11
Tom Moon....no.10...maybe 11
Jamie Clark....no.9
Tamati Nathan....no.10
Ryan Millard ....no.3
Dylan Crawley....no10
Frank Winterstein....no12
Chris Vaefaga........no13/3
Nathan Armit....no.13
Adnan Saleh......no.1
Conrad Ta’akimoeaka.no.8
Reece Blayney...5/8 ...no.7

also players that dont play nrl and cant play toyota cup will be here
the dogs have no feeder club anymore

Nfed

Juniors
richies said:
dogs

Adnan Saleh......no.1

also players that dont play nrl and cant play toyota cup will be here
the dogs have no feeder club anymore

Adnan Saleh played no games for the Bulldogs last but about 15 games for feeder club, Sydney Bulls. Does Saleh have a Bulldogs contract for 2008? I understand that the Bulldogs will be playing their home games at The Crest Stadium, home ground of the Bulls. Are you sure that the Bulls are no longer the feeder club?

Skinner

Coach
I have just been advised that the Auckland team entered in the NSW Cup will be
known as the "Auckland Vulcans".

Apart from the first three games, all home games will be played at Mt Smart Stadium
Number 2.

Skinner said:
I have just been advised that the Auckland team entered in the NSW Cup will be
known as the "Auckland Vulcans".

Vulcans?

spock_3.jpg

richies

Juniors
Nfed said:
Adnan Saleh played no games for the Bulldogs last but about 15 games for feeder club, Sydney Bulls. Does Saleh have a Bulldogs contract for 2008? I understand that the Bulldogs will be playing their home games at The Crest Stadium, home ground of the Bulls. Are you sure that the Bulls are no longer the feeder club?

for sum reason the dogs will stand alone with no feeder club in 2008
it is on this site sumwere...

also
nrl squad...

Chris Armit
Luke Patten
Kane Cleal
Cameron Phelps
Aaron Groom
Leon Bott
Hazem El Masri
Andrew Ryan
Andrew Emelio
Michael Sullivan
Jarrad Hickey
Lee Te Maari
Daniel Holdsworth
Luke Thompson
Corey Hughes
Willie Tonga
Nick Kouparitsas
Justin Tsoulos
Charlie Leaeno
Matt Utai
Reni Maitua
Sonny Bill Williams
Daryl Millard
Tim Winitana
Brad Morrin
Gary Warburton....11/lock...2009
Heka Nanai
danny wiliams from the roosters---- second rower.think his is the full time

----------------------

part timesquad----
Tom Moon............prop
Lorenzo Ma'afu.....prop/second rower
Robert Worsley. 09....prop
Tamati Nathan.......prop
Brent Crisp...........fullback also kicks goals

girvie

Staff member
From the Newtown website:

2008 Jets in training
Some of the 2008 Jets signings are training with the Sydney Roosters and some are training 4 days a week at the Newtown RLFC gymnasium facility and at Marrickville Oval under the direction of Newtown's 2008 NSW Cup Head Coach, Greg Matterson, and Strength and Conditioning Coach, Dennis Yates.

Player Player notes

Steve Meredith
Several seasons with the Roosters. Eligible for Samoa in the World Cup. Training extremely well.

Luke Branighan
Ex-Souths, Roosters, Dragons, Brisbane Easts

Aaron Wheatley
Ex-Dragons and Bulldogs

Jim Andersen
Ex-Cowboys prop; has been training exceptionally well. Hails originally from Mt. Isa.

Ben Green
Ex-Sharks, Broncos and Toowoomba Clydesdales halfback

Donny Thompson
Ex-Cabramatta. Eligible for Samoa in the World Cup.

Toshio Laisini
Ex-Sharks and Cowboys

Rhys Pritchard
Ex-Roosters. Impressed with Newtown in 2007.

Luke Millwood
Ex-Broncos, Newtown, Bulls. His home town is Cairns.

Luke Gordon
Ex-Roosters, Wests-Tigers. Played very well in Newtown's 2006 VB Premier League team.

Daniel Green
Ex-Bulldogs. Brother of Jon Green who played with Newtown in 2005.

Khalid Deeb
Ex-Newtown, Bulls. Played for Lebanon in 2007 World Cup qualifiers.

Hep Cahill
Ex-Roosters. Played with Newtown in 2007. His home town is Napier, NZ.

Nfed

Juniors
richies said:
for sum reason the dogs will stand alone with no feeder club in 2008
it is on this site sumwere...

Now I know what you are talking about. While several NRL clubs decided to cut costs by foeming joint ventures for the Premier League/State Cup comp - Penrith, Parramatta, Newcastle and Cronulla adding to the existing ones for Balmain, Easts, Souths and NZ Warriors - Manly and Canterbury decided to stay with no joint venture.

However, Manly and Canterbury stil have feeder clubs, it is just that Sydney Bulls and Belrose feed the P/L sides rather than the NRL as is the case with Newtown, Norths, Windsor, Wenty etc.

Of course, as a stand alone club, the Bulldogs will need more than the 33 players listed.

wayne challis

Juniors
Hi Girvie,

Thanks for the news on Newtown/Roosters.

A few corrections for your comings and goings on page 1.

Add Brent Grose and Daniel Howard (source Roosters website player profiles)
Losses: Ndaira to Souths and Vince Mellars who is apparently training with the Canterbury Crusaders in rugby.

Skinner

Coach
Bernie Perenara Snr has been named coach of the Auckland Vulcans (it's only the 11th
of February....) but no squad announcements yet.

I could only imagine how good an Auckland team would go if it got a decent start.

Bernie is the father of Henry and Marcus.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
So the PL has gone and now we have a NSW Cup, with no NRL identities, just mergers?

Why have the Auckland Lions changed their name?

Skinner

Coach
KalgoorlieRed said:
So the PL has gone and now we have a NSW Cup, with no NRL identities, just mergers?

Why have the Auckland Lions changed their name?

Last year they were associated with a local club called the Mt Albert Lions so they
used their name.

That association has now finished, hence the name change to remove any connotation.

Cheers

girvie

Staff member
Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers will play Belrose in a VB State Cup trial at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday, February 16, at 7.30pm.

Coach Paul Fletcher has given Rhys Hanbury, Lewis Brown, Lee Bennett, Chris Tuatara, Michael Moran and Ryan Tandy a rest following victory in the NSWRL International Nines tournament last Saturday.

Their absence has given some of the Wests Tigers Toyota Cup players a chance to perform in Premier League.

Adam Turner, a solidly built forward from America, is trialing for a contract with Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers.

Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers team

1: Gavin Cowan
2: Bill Callaway
3: Matt Parata
4: Miguel Start
5: James Cameron
6: Todd Bridge
7: Adam Bennett
8: Al Schirnack
9: Steve Moses
10: Jack Rampling
11: David Gower
12: Jarred Farlow
13: Damien Tuakara

14: Kelvin Weir
15: Simon Nash
16: Adam Dibb
17: Brendan Vengoa
18: Dean Webster
19: Adam Turner
20: Ben Falcone
21: Darren Nicholls
22: Linton Price

http://www.weststigers.com.au/NewsArticle.aspx?NewsId=1182

Nfed

Juniors
Trial results from the weekend.

Newtown beat Macquarie United (Newcastle comp) 38-32 after Macquarie led 32-22 at 3/4 time. Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers beat Belrose 28-14, Wests Magpies beat Mounties 26-10, Wentworthville beat Cronulla Cobras 6-4.