What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup 2008 season

girvie

Staff member
North Sydney played a Pacific Islands team on Wednesday and won around 12 tries to nil.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mad Goanna said:
Does anyone know the lineups??

Wenty's lineup.

1. Iwi Hauraki
2. Jonathon Wright
3. Mark Luland
4. James Grehan
5. Matthew Raftery
6. Jacob Byrne
7. James Maloney
8. Duan Poaneki
9. Luke Fahy
10. Jeremy Latimore
11. Brett Blaker
12. Justin Wood
13. Broderick Wright
14. Justin Horo
15. Mark O'Grady
16. Todd Eriha
17. Abed Atallah
18. Marty Mitchell
19. Kosta Kouparitas
20. Nathan Cleaver
21. Michael Woodlands

Mad Goanna

Juniors
Nfed said:
Trial results from the weekend.

Newtown beat Macquarie United (Newcastle comp) 38-32 after Macquarie led 32-22 at 3/4 time. Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers beat Belrose 28-14, Wests Magpies beat Mounties 26-10, Wentworthville beat Cronulla Cobras 6-4.

Nfed

Juniors
Mad Goanna said:
Does anyone know the lineups??
February's heavy rains in the Hunter region put paid to the Macquarie United-Newtown trial match going ahead at the Lyle Peacock Field, Toronto.
However, both clubs wanted the trial match to proceed so the trial went ahead, thanks to Matraville Sports High staff member Scott Murray. Murray coached the Matraville Sports High Arrive Alive Cup winning team of 2007 and was most helpful in arranging for the availability of this venue and its facilities.
Match details in brief

Full-Time - Newtown 38: 7 tries, 5 goals defeated Macquarie United 32; 6 tries, 4 goals.
Quarter-Time: Macquarie led by 10-4.
Half-Time: Macquarie led by 20-16.
Three-Quarter Time: Macquarie led by 32-22.
Match comments

The trial was very good for both sides and Mal Graham's Macquarie team is to be commended for their levels of fitness and finesse.
The surprise packet of the match for Newtown was second-rower Trevor Richardson having his first-ever game of Rugby League football. Trevor hails from County Sligo in the Republic of Ireland and has played first grade club Rugby Union and Provincial level representative Rugby Union in Ireland.
Newtown scored three tries to nil in the final quarter and only gained the lead (for the first time in the match) in the last minute of play.
Newtown's triallists

Coach Greg Matterson noted that Newtown used 23 players in this trial, the majority of whom have been training four days a week since early November and have really earned the right to challenge for a place in the 2008 Newtown Jets NSW Cup squad.
Toshio Laiseni, Joe Phillippe
Mick Taouk, Byron Ford, Reece Ellis
Ali Karouche, Wayne Beh, Reece Savage
Luke Branighan, Steve Spillio
Ben Green, Luke Millwood
Daniel Green, Hep Cahill
Fonua Fale, Khalid Deeb, Trevor Richardson, Ray Moujalli
Samson Mariner, Jimmy Andersen, AJ Perenara
Luke Gordon, Tyrone Shelley.
Three Newtown registered players are on the injured list and did not play: Donny Thompson, Rhys Pritchard, Aaron Wheatley.
Historical connections

Macquarie United is coached by the former Newtown winger Mal Graham, who played with the club in 1982-83. Graham has earned a solid reputation as a coach over the past twenty years, with successful stints at Oldham (UK), the Newcastle Knights Premier League team, the Newcastle Division representative team, NSW Country Firsts and Western Suburbs (Newcastle).
Club historians Terry Williams and John Lynch pointed out that Newtown legend Brian "Chicka" Moore captain-coached Macquarie United in 1974-75 with considerable success - another link between the two clubs as they head into their first-ever trial match encounter on late Saturday afternoon.

Source: Newtown website

2 True Blues

Coach
Top article guys. cheers. !!!! Mcquarie sound like they will have a good season. though the swapping and changing of players for trail/fitness purposes would have affected the close scoreline I reckon. Jets will go much better when the season starts fair dinkum.

2 True Blues

Coach
With the new P/League comp it would appear to me that " They " have successfully suceeded in hiding the old Jets, Bears, and Maggies away under the carpet as far as coverage prior to main NRL games etc.

Just a question .

If there is a Bears versus Jets grandfinal ( for eg ), in 2008: What TV coverage ( If any ) can we expect this season, now that the NRL money machine has hidden us all away out of sight.?

Will there be any TV coverage on grandfinal day for this competition . ???

GO THE JETS

The TV coverage is pretty piss poor - it will be broadcast once every second week on Foxtel and will alternate with coverage of a JBC match.

Personally, I think making all the State Cup games stand alone is an excellent idea. Gives the competition it's own identity away from the NRL.

2 True Blues

Coach
yeah I agree with your point re the stand alone, however TV coverage and crowd coverage is very important. People were only just starting to realise that the Bears, Maggies, and Jets were actually still alive thanks to that coverage. now it's gone again. !!!

First i have heard about FOX covering p/League though. No sh*t. sounds good . How do they decide which teams are being aired etc. Is it a fair system, or the game of the round etc.

Nfed

Juniors
This weekend's trial results:

Norths 12 drew with Cobras 12
Bulldoggs 28 beat Wollongong Collegians 16
Newtown 36 beat Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers 16
Wenty 20 beat Windsor 14
Central Coast Storm 46 beat Wests Magpies 34 (apparently Cameron Smith was outstanding for the Storm).

Nfed

Juniors
A MASSIVE crowd of 4000 people packed the Windsor Sporting Complex to catch a first glimpse of their heroes for season 2008 when the Penrith Panthers played a pair of trials on Saturday.
The Panthers brought most of their squad to Rifle Range Road for a league bonanza, and they didn’t disappoint, turning on a polished display in two 30-minute trials against Jim Beam Cup teams Erina and Windsor.
After beating the Eagles 30-0, Penrith was held 16-0 by the Wolves in what Windsor president Dick Prior described as a raging success for both clubs.
Ben Stewart was in career best form and Tito Niumata in outstanding touch for Windsor, while Shenelle Haumono and Lee Hopkins were good.
Earlier in the day, Windsor’s new NSW Cup stepped out for the first time and banked a debut victory when it beat Central Newcastle 36-26 in a high standard clash featuring a mix of Panthers and Wolves squad members.
Penrith’s Paul Aiton lined up for Windsor in the match and turned in a prominent performance to earn himself a recall for the first grade’s next trial against Parramatta at Lavington on Friday.
But it was the Windsor players who really shone, with Western Suburbs Jersey Flegg recruit Tyson Muscat scoring two tries, while last year’s Jim Beam Cup squad member Jason Chan, Dan Randall and player of the year Ryan Russell each crossed the line, and Fatualua Mumu and halfback Ben Harden also performed well.
The Wolves also unveiled another frontrower in Alistair Taua-a, a 190cm, 115kg frontrower who has crossed from Balmain’s Jersey Flegg team, and he produced a best on ground performance.
“It was a good kickoff to the season,” Prior said.
“We tried a lot of blokes and had a good win A lot of players got a good opportunity.
“It was a big day and we had a big crowd that made a lot of noise, especially when the Panthers came out – it was a very successful promotion and we’ll definitely do it again next year.
“Matty Elliott was happy with our facilities and the Penrith players were fantastic.
“They couldn’t do enough for the fans, they mingled among the crowd and signed autographs and stayed for a couple of hours after.
“It was the best thing Penrith could have done to raise opinions of them and the profile of Penrith and Windsor.” The other match, between the Penrith and Newcastle under 20s, ended in a 46-34 win to the Knights.

Source: Hawkesbury Gazette

Nfed

Juniors
THE Windsor Wolves’ push into the second highest level of rugby league in Australia has received a major boost with the marquee signing of giant front rower Hutch Maiava.
Maiava, 32, is returning to Australia after spending last season with Hull in the British Super League, where he played 19 matches and scored one try and will be desperate to succeed in what looks to be his last crack at returning to NRL.
His signature has been secured through the Wolves-Penrith Panthers alliance and he is expected to start the season at Rifle Range Road with the goal of forcing his way into the Panthers’ front row at some stage during the season.
Maiava was a late bloomer at the top level, making his debut for Canterbury-Bankstown at the age of 27 in 2004.
He played five matches and scored two tries for the Bulldogs before joining Cronulla-Sutherland the following year, playing 40 NRL matches and scoring two tries for the Sharks.
At 115kg, Maiava is expected to make a major impact in the new NSW Cup competition and Windsor coach Adam Przybyla said he was a force the Wolves could build their attack around.
“It was great when he approached us, I rang him straight away and worked out a deal to get him in, and he’s already shown how valuable his experience is on the training field,” he said.
“You can’t beat experience and he’s got plenty of it, and he’s strong and tough too.
“We were really fortunate he decided to come here, and he’s still got ambitions to play NRL, so he will be giving it everything.
“He knew a few from Windsor in the playing ranks, which made his decision easier, as well as the pathway to first grade – and he’ll get an opportunity to play first grade this week for Penrith.
“He might start with us and play a similar role to (new Panthers captain) Petero Civoniceva and lead on the field and get everyone follow his lead.
“Sometimes you get a player who’s only there for self interests but I had a chat to him and asked him to do that and everything has been positive from him.
“I think he’ll play first grade throughout the year at some stage as long as he continues to play good footy for us.
Windsor president Dick Prior said Maiava was proof the deal with Penrith was already reaping dividends for the Wolves.
“Hutch is a great signing for us and it shows that the system works, because he came to us because he wants a chance to get back to the NRL,” he said.
“For him to do that proves what we’re doing is right, and to take it one step further, he’s not here for money.
“I told him we couldn’t pay him big money, if he wanted big money I’d contact richer clubs for him because we can’t pay him much – but if he want to go to the NRL he was in the right place.
“We haven’t got the money but we can offer the opportunity.
“Hutch spoke to (Penrith coach) Matty Elliott and he said if he’s good enough and gets the runs on the board he’s there.
“If he makes it that would justify what we’re doing – you can come to Windsor and make it to NRL, even though he’s not a junior, he can come and do it through Windsor.”
When Maiava joined Hull 12 months ago, he said he’d been plucked out of a park by Canterbury as a 130kg powerhouse.
“I was playing in the park with my cousins and enjoying myself when John Ackland said ‘come and give it a go’,” Maiava said.
“I was partying a lot and working as a labourer so full-time training was a huge shock to the system.
“My backside was certainly dragging and I had to lose some weight.”
Maiava engaged in a relentless fitness campaign and by the end of 2004 was down to his current playing weight of 115kg.
The big Kiwi is noted for his leg speed and was a noted tough man of the NRL, as well as being one of the fastest forwards for the Sharks over 40 metres. He made the New Zealand squad for the 2006 Anzac Test, but injury cost him a chance to play.

Source: Hawkesbury Gazette

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Bulldogs 18 Windsor Wolves 6 - Halftime in NSW cup trial.

Aaron Groom has starred for the Bulldogs, bagging a hat-trick in the opening half. Other stand-out performers include Brad Morrin, Luke Thompson and Jamie Clarke.

Bulldogs: Aaron Groom x3, Leon Bott tries. Crisp 0/2, Blayney 1/2 goals

Thanks to Utai Slam from the Kennel for these updates.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Bulldogs 36
Wolves 18

Further tries to Dean Vicelich and Brad Morrin for the Bulldogs. Nearly full time.

Bulldogs: Aaron Groom x4, Leon Bott, Dean Vicelich, Brad Morrin tries; 3/7 goals

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I'm quite sure that's the final score.

Bulldogs 36
Wolves 18

Good win to Canterbury with Groom seemingly leading the way with a double brace of tries. What a talent.