What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

Joker's Wild

Coach
Unfortunately Gidley will be at fullback.
I wouldn't be so confident of this

From what Im hearing and based on whether Dureau is fit for this weekend or not, Stone is likely to be playing Gidley in the halves for the Knights. Couple that with the fact that Bellamy has expressed interest in Gidley as a half...well its a pretty short hop to having Gidley in either the 6 or 7 for the Blues.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I wouldn't be so confident of this

From what Im hearing and based on whether Dureau is fit for this weekend or not, Stone is likely to be playing Gidley in the halves for the Knights. Couple that with the fact that Bellamy has expressed interest in Gidley as a half...well its a pretty short hop to having Gidley in either the 6 or 7 for the Blues.

FMD, that's even worse than having him at fullback.

Has McDonnell actually forced Gidley out of fullback at club level? :lol:

I want Carney at five-eighth anyway. And for those who say he's not playing there at club level, he's practically a five-eighth in attack anyway, so its irrelevant.

Ladmate

Bench
Fifita will make Origin in 2 years I reckon. Galloway will make it this year and Bryce Gibbs is a chance (watch him play before commenting on this).

perverse

Referee
gibbs has been great this year... but i'd have blokes who have been more consistent over a longer term like galloway, douglas etc.

otori

Juniors
gibbs has been great this year... but i'd have blokes who have been more consistent over a longer term like galloway, douglas etc.

Galloway and Douglas plus Learoyd-Lahrs and Weyman are my ideal prop rotation though TLL can cover second row as well, we've got ample second rowers with Watmough, Creagh, Laffranchi, O'Donnell, Bird and Gallen

Vic Mackey

Referee

imo gibbs has actually outshone galloway. you have to see gibbs live to see how important he is to the team. his line speed is incredible and id be confident he plays just about the most minutes of any prop in the nrl.

i dont know if theres a better ruck defender then gibbs, the tigers are a totally different team when he plays then when he doesnt, you only have to watch the roosters game to see this.

i dont think he should play origin this year, as its really only been the last 9 months or so where he has knuckled down, plus he is still ripe for the odd stupid penalty or brain expolsion (i.e 8 point try) however if he keeps it up then next year he should be a contender.

Tom155

Coach
1. Hayne
2. B.Morris
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. Lawrence
6. Mullen
7. Soward
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Tolman
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Cross
16. Douglas
17. Carney

Spot On

Coach
tim mannahs a good young prop, he'll be there in a couple of years of idiot daniel anderson gives him more game time. i think game time at parra is in order of who gets the most money. cayless>poore>fui>mannah, even though mannah has the best stats:time

i think nsw should pick tolman, he's awesome! luke douglas is good too, but doesn't get the credit cos he's at the sharkies

hayne out of form is still better than gidley at fullback. if i were to pick a fullback over hayne it'd be dugan, but that won't happen

Agree with you on Tim Mannah. He looks like he could be very good. Strong, carry's the ball pretty well but he can be caught out defensively at times, especially around the ruck or a switch in play. Obviously he will improve with more game time, as will his fitness, but I can't see why Ando doesn't give him more of a go.

If NSW want a prop to bang the ball up time and time again, not take a backward step, tackle everything in sight and play A LOT OF MINUTES, then Tolman is the man. Only a few first grade games under the belt but he just loves the hard slog. No fancy stuff from him as he doesn't offload. I definitely think he is good enough. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

As far as Gidley goes, I think its back to the utility role for him. If he wasn't captain last year maybe he wouldn't be there at all and Luke Lewis would be the number one utility. I believe he could play a bit of dummy half to give Farah a break as he is a very good runner out of there and defends very well but I could not imagine him playing in the halves with his skill set.

snickers007

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Morris
6. Bird
7. Barrett
8. Galloway
9. Ennis
10. White
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Lewis

14. Gallen
15. Waterhouse
16. Douglas
17. Laffranchi

Goldthorpe

Bench
01. Jarryd Hayne
02. Brett Morris
03. Josh Morris
04. Chris Lawrence
05. Anthony Minichiello
06. Todd Carney
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Michael Weyman
09. Robbie Farah
10. Aiden Tolman
11. Ben Creagh
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Greg Bird

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Luke Douglas
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Luke O'Donnell

hybrid_tiger

Coach
If NSW want a prop to bang the ball up time and time again, not take a backward step, tackle everything in sight and play A LOT OF MINUTES, then Tolman is the man.

Sounds like Bryce Gibbs to me, not Tolman.

As someone else in this thread has already mentioned, Gibbs has improved out of sight over the past 6-12 months. He played 80 minutes last week, that is phenomenal for a prop.

If you asked me 12 months ago what I thought of Gibbs, I would have said he was a brain dead idiot who was only good for giving away penalties, getting smashed and making minimal impact.

He is now one of the hardest working props in the comp, a machine defensively and can now dent the line and provide impact with ball in hand - also has a decent offload.

Personally I would not pick Gibbs or Tolman this year, but if he continues this form consistently for the rest of this season he would have to be a shoo in for next year. He is already well ahead of some other names that have been mentioned, IMO.

But you're right, we are really lacking in the props department.

Sounds like Bryce Gibbs to me, not Tolman.

As someone else in this thread has already mentioned, Gibbs has improved out of sight over the past 6-12 months. He played 80 minutes last week, that is phenomenal for a prop.

If you asked me 12 months ago what I thought of Gibbs, I would have said he was a brain dead idiot who was only good for giving away penalties, getting smashed and making minimal impact.

He is now one of the hardest working props in the comp, a machine defensively and can now dent the line and provide impact with ball in hand - also has a decent offload.

Personally I would not pick Gibbs or Tolman this year, but if he continues this form consistently for the rest of this season he would have to be a shoo in for next year. He is already well ahead of some other names that have been mentioned, IMO.

But you're right, we are really lacking in the props department.

I'd rather Gibbs and Galloway not play along with Farah and Lawrence and we win our second premiership in 5 years \\\\:D/

typicalfan

Coach
I think that's plain wrong. Lawrence gives his winger more good ball than Morris is capable of
Josh Morris was good enough last season to make Bryson Goodwin look good. I am not saying Lawrence isn't good but also Josh Morris is the incumbent and will have a better combination with his winger Brett and should be strongly considered.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Iv seen this sort of performance from Gibbs a few years ago, rated him very highly. Then I believe he tried tackling Mark O'Meley. Epic fail.

He has had a very bad couple of years, he would need to do this consistantly for the next 12 months. But he could very well do it.

Spot On

Coach
Hybrid Tiger,

Have to agree with you re Gibbs playing exceptionally well this season compared to last few. But to show you how much Tolman does we need to compare some stats between the two.

These are averages per game so far this season. Gibbs has played four games, Tolman five.

Gibbs - 54 mins per game, 23 tackles, 10 hit ups, 1 offload, 2 missed tackles.

Tolman - 63 mins per game, 34 tackles, 15 hit ups, 0 offloads, 0.5 missed tackles.

Not bad going hey!

Now, back to my original query about who NSW would have to match the best - Civoniciva. These are his stats so far. He has played five games this season.

Civoniciva - 53 mins per game, 19 tackles, 17 hit ups, 1 offloads, 1.6 missed tackles.

What does it all mean?? Well they're just stats and you can interpret them and read into them anyway you like but for me it outlines how big a motor Tolman has compared to other props. He's a bit of a freak. Wait till Bellamy has him offloading! Civenociva's hit ups are all quality, requiring two to three to take him down and making more metres per run. Gibbs also makes more metres per run and this is an area Tolman needs to improve on. I think Gronkathon mentioned this in an above post.

Last edited:

Latest posts