What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

chrisD

Coach
I just lilke how we've picked mundane "solid" players over players who are supposedly "risky". It's a load of sh*t, Jennings gets beaten once and it's a talking point for the next 10 minutes, Cooper and Mooris get raped for 80mins against Manly and no-one says sh*t. Meanwhile Tahu goes missing when the ball is put up in the air his way and he bombs a certain try with a tard pass and again the only ones to say anything are the crickets. Oh and how have Coopers hands been this season?

Slackboy72

Coach
I just lilke how we've picked mundane "solid" players over players who are supposedly "risky". It's a load of sh*t, Jennings gets beaten once and it's a talking point for the next 10 minutes, Cooper and Mooris get raped for 80mins against Manly and no-one says sh*t. Meanwhile Tahu goes missing when the ball is put up in the air his way and he bombs a certain try with a tard pass and again the only ones to say anything are the crickets. Oh and how have Coopers hands been this season?

To be fair Cooper has been selected for his superior defense. But I agree he doesn't deserve to be there ahead of Joshy or Jennings. As for Tahu... it's 2010 not 2005.

Big Pete

Referee
What have Josh Morris or Jennings done to deserve selection?

Neither stood out in Origin last year and both have been fairly ordinary so far this season.

timka4

Bench

Neither stood out in Origin last year and both have been fairly ordinary so far this season.

thats what i think, although i think josh has had some pretty bad balls delivered to him this year.

But ChrisD, it was one game that they didnt play great. Woopty f**king doo. Im sure that jennings and his wing, tighe or elford have lost in a penrith match before?? or maybe too you, jennings has never played one single bad game in his entire life??

Parra Guru

Coach

Jennings has defensive issues and J-Moz has been injured.

In saying that, Jennings was pretty good last year.

With Cooper it's always a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. I'd have him in there for sure.

Big Pete

Referee
Jennings has defensive issues and J-Moz has been injured.

In saying that, Jennings was pretty good last year.

With Cooper it's always a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. I'd have him in there for sure.

Jennings was invisible in Game 1 last year and in Game 3 he was Inglis' b***h.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Jennings looks about 75-80% atm with that knee issue.

Ran freely on the weekend. His knee wasnt strapped heavily like it has been for the first 9 rounds. That first try he scored he moved to that ball like lightning. I was sitting right near where it was scored and he flew in from no where!

franklin2323

Immortal
Jennings was invisible in Game 1 last year and in Game 3 he was Inglis' b***h.

The whole backline was invinisble Campese was useless. As for game 3 it was his 1st ever game on the right side (He's played there all this season).

Both of them are 22 so maybe a season too early last season but will be better for the run. But Neither Penrith or Bulldogs lose games because of either's defence but they sure win games with their attack.

Barring rain we will need to score 4 tries minimum too win. That backline wont do that terrible choice!!

franklin2323

Immortal
Ran freely on the weekend. His knee wasnt strapped heavily like it has been for the first 9 rounds. That first try he scored he moved to that ball like lightning. I was sitting right near where it was scored and he flew in from no where!

He actually played the ball and was checked heavily on the way to the ball

abpanther

Staff member

The real question is WTF have they done to be dropped from the Game 3 winning side for Tahu who has done jack sh*t? All Tahu has done is rush up and try to hit people, his defense was exposed in the City v Country game, whats gonna happen in Origin?

Other players in the side have been retained from the winning side despite their current form (Gidley, Watmough, etc), so why drop Morris or Jennings?

Big Pete

Referee
The real question is WTF have they done to be dropped from the Game 3 winning side for Tahu who has done jack sh*t? All Tahu has done is rush up and try to hit people, his defense was exposed in the City v Country game, whats gonna happen in Origin?

Other players in the side have been retained from the winning side despite their current form (Gidley, Watmough, etc), so why drop Morris or Jennings?

Fair point on Tahu, I was merely defending the selection of Cooper who has been good.

Mind you, if it was up to me neither three (Tahu, Jennings or J. Moz) would be there. Lyon would be the other centre (you know, the in form centre of the competition) and Barrett would be the five eigth.

You're comparing apples and oranges though mate.

Kidley is captain, I can understand why dropping him would be seen as a big deal.

Watmough was one of NSW best last year and he basically won you game 3, I can understand his selection.

Jennings and J.Moz were far from stand outs at Origin level last year. Both were poor whether you want to admit it or not and there are simply better players in front of them. Tahu, not so much, he sits beside them.

abpanther

Staff member
Fair point on Tahu, I was merely defending the selection of Cooper who has been good.

Mind you, if it was up to me neither three (Tahu, Jennings or J. Moz) would be there. Lyon would be the other centre (you know, the in form centre of the competition) and Barrett would be the five eigth.

You're comparing apples and oranges though mate.

Kidley is captain, I can understand why dropping him would be seen as a big deal.

Watmough was one of NSW best last year and he basically won you game 3, I can understand his selection.

Jennings and J.Moz were far from stand outs at Origin level last year. Both were poor whether you want to admit it or not and there are simply better players in front of them. Tahu, not so much, he sits beside them.

I agree with you that Lyon should've been selected ahead of both, however the selection of Tahu is ridiculous.

I don't really care that Gidley is captain, he should never have been made captain in the first place and his performance last year and so far this season has been poor, shouldn't be starting fullback.

Yeah they weren't standouts, but they were picked based on great form and they were in the side that got the job done in Game 3. Plus, Lyon was far from impressive in his last Origin appearance either

Big Pete

Referee
I agree with you that Lyon should've been selected ahead of both, however the selection of Tahu is ridiculous.

I agree with you.

Cooper would still be infront of either though.

I don't really care that Gidley is captain, he should never have been made captain in the first place and his performance last year and so far this season has been poor, shouldn't be starting fullback.

I agree he didn't deserved to be captain but he was.

Dropping a captain, no matter how badly they performed in the past (and let's face it aside from Origin 1 he wasn't that bad) is cause for more concern than dropping two centres who were passengers (or dare I say, liabilities) from the side.

Gidley hasn't been playing that badly either. Cowboys game aside he's been a stand out for the Knights.

Yeah they weren't standouts, but they were picked based on great form and they were in the side that got the job done in Game 3. Plus, Lyon was far from impressive in his last Origin appearance either

The difference is Lyon is in great form now.

Jennings nor J. Moz have done anything to stand out. If anything they've gone backwards since last year. Neither player earnt the right for automatic selection either.

abpanther

Staff member
Jennings nor J. Moz have done anything to stand out. If anything they've gone backwards since last year. Neither player earnt the right for automatic selection either.

But there's the inconsistency, guys like Gidley, Waterhouse, TLL, Watmough, Kimmorley, Ennis, etc, have all earned the right for automatic selection despite their current form which is not really top notch, as with Jennings and Morris.

Would you have Idris ahead of Morris and Jennings?

typicalfan

Coach
Anthony Watmough may be in not so great NRL form but so what? He is a proven performer at rep level and probably the best backrower in the game alongside Paul Gallen who should have been picked.

Michael Jennings doesn't have the performances behind him at that level that Watmough has. Plain and simple. Josh Morris would have been favourite for the left centre spot until he got injured and since then Matt Cooper has been the best option. Both players have a combination with Brett Morris, Michael Jennings and Timana Tahu have not and for that reason should be lower in the pecking order.

As far as Tahu is concerned I would have liked him on the right wing outside Lyon with Hayne going to fullback. Too many times we have had soft defenders on the right wing that couldn't handle Inglis but Tahu is aggressive, fast and strong.

Big Pete

Referee
But there's the inconsistency, guys like Gidley, Waterhouse, TLL, Watmough, Kimmorley, Ennis, etc, have all earned the right for automatic selection despite their current form which is not really top notch, as with Jennings and Morris.

Would you have Idris ahead of Morris and Jennings?

Gidley is captain, again dropping him is nothing like dropping Morris or Jennings.

Waterhouse I can agree with.

TLL was one of the better players in Game 3, hardly a passenger and how many other impact forwards are there in NSW?

Watmough was NSW best in Game 3, automatic selection.

Kimmorley, who else is going to play halfback? It's best to get with the default choice.

Ennis default choice. Unless you want Farah who nobody seems to like.

As for Idris, if I was ever faced with the choice of having a centre off the bench, Idris would get a pick over Jennings and J. Moz quite easily. Jennings is debatable, but I say Idris' size works in his favour while J. Moz off the bench makes no sense. The guy has zero impact value.

abpanther

Staff member
As far as Tahu is concerned I would have liked him on the right wing outside Lyon with Hayne going to fullback. Too many times we have had soft defenders on the right wing that couldn't handle Inglis but Tahu is aggressive, fast and strong.

So when did Tahu become a good defender?

typicalfan

Coach
he is an aggressive defender. In the centres he can be caught out but on the wing there wouldn't be a better option imo.

grandorient

Bench

Gee whiz Big Pete,

Great minds think alike.

I believe you are spot on, Barrett as 5/8, Lyons and Coops as centres.

Argh well, ours not to reason why, ours but to do or lose.

GO

Slackboy72

Coach
Gidley is captain, again dropping him is nothing like dropping Morris or Jennings.

Waterhouse I can agree with.

TLL was one of the better players in Game 3, hardly a passenger and how many other impact forwards are there in NSW?

Watmough was NSW best in Game 3, automatic selection.

Kimmorley, who else is going to play halfback? It's best to get with the default choice.

Ennis default choice. Unless you want Farah who nobody seems to like.

As for Idris, if I was ever faced with the choice of having a centre off the bench, Idris would get a pick over Jennings and J. Moz quite easily. Jennings is debatable, but I say Idris' size works in his favour while J. Moz off the bench makes no sense. The guy has zero impact value.

This isn't the captaincy of the Aussie Cricket Squad. If he isn't good enough to make the team he shouldn't be in the team regardless of captaincy.

Latest posts