What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

Bulldog Force

Referee
This is what s**ts me with NSW selectors. Pick the best 17 who cares if they may be poor defenders. Morris and Jennings handle defence ok for their clubs and actually score tries.

I could of handled Lyon at 5/8 if it was to play attacking centres and if he wanted to but no he doesn't so why play him their.

And a centre on the bench yeah Gidley will play hooker but then you move Hayne and Tahu to put the fat thing in and he has poor lateral m ovement anyway.

As for Dugan/Coote as with Morris/Jennings he plays against the same players each week and suddenly can't handle it WTF!!!
I suspect if Lyon has a shocker, he'll get a rest and Gidley will move to 5/8th, Hayne to Fullback, Tahu to wing, Idris to centre. It's all pathetic really when you think about it. All they had to do is pick Lyon at centre.

Mr Saab

Referee
I suspect if Lyon has a shocker, he'll get a rest and Gidley will move to 5/8th, Hayne to Fullback, Tahu to wing, Idris to centre. It's all pathetic really when you think about it. All they had to do is pick Lyon at centre.

Thats the stupid part about it. The pick Idris and for him to get a run they have to make about 5 positional changes on the run...which will put the team out of whack.
This is the same as last yr when everyone talked up Morris coming off the bench...he was going to be some X factor.
What happened? QLD won the game and Morris did SFA.

Big Pete

Referee
Morris didn't get much time from memory, but his selection was one of the worst last season. Not because he was bad, just that he was selected on the bench as a utility. Dumb.

I have no idea what everybody is talking about. This is a good side...

Bloody hell...can't even believe myself when I type that.

johns_reds

First Grade
I say wait till after game 1, who knows what the game plan is, they could swap a few positions and come up with some wonder plays and win the game, then you'll all be saying how much of a genius some of the selections were....

As a queensland supporter i'm always nervous about the game's beforehand, This is SOO, QLD won 1995 series with a bunch of nobodies, each player NSW chose are decent players so who knows how the game will go, Either way should be a good game as always, C'mon Queensland!!!

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
To everyone saying this is the worst ever NSW team picked. Im sorry but you must have short memories.

1. Kurt Gidley (captain)
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael Jennings
5. James McManus
6. Terry Campese
7. Peter Wallace
8. Brent Kite
9. Robbie Farah
10. Luke Bailey
11. Ben Creagh
12. Luke O'Donnell
13.Paul Gallen

Interchange
14. Craig Wing
15. Justin Poore
16. Glenn Stewart
17. Michael Weyman

Im sorry but IMO this team takes the cake. Two rookie halves? James McManus? Brent Kite? Jamie Lyon who didn't want to play origin?

I have more faith in this years team than last years to be honest.

Slackboy72

Coach
Exactly Johnny.

It wasn't as if there were players out there who were screaming pick me.

Well there were a few like Morris, Morris, Jennings, Hayne, Dugan, Carney and Weyman.
But for the most part you have to pick the best you can get. So how did
Idris get considered? There are at least eight eligible centres I can think of better than him.
That is the crux of people's annoyance is that they have chosen people out of position who don't deserve to be picked who and who aren't the best option for those positions.
Gidley at FB and captain? Yeah he may be nice bloke but there are at least three better fullbacks and oodles better captains.
Cooper? He may be a safe choice but he doesn't deserve it given his form compared to Morris and Jennings.
Lyons? Not at 5/8 when you have Carney, Campese, Barrett and Soward all fit.
Kimmorley? Hmmm, okay but his form this year hasn't really warranted it. They were okay with trying Pearce, well how about Carney?

I could go on but what's the point. The selectors and Bellamy are holding NSW back. The annoying thing is QLD will select a better side but they will get 5-on-the-trot not because they were outstanding but because NSW continue to shoot themselves in the foot (feet?).

Big Pete

Referee
To everyone saying this is the worst ever NSW team picked. Im sorry but you must have short memories.

1. Kurt Gidley (captain)
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael Jennings
5. James McManus
6. Terry Campese
7. Peter Wallace
8. Brent Kite
9. Robbie Farah
10. Luke Bailey
11. Ben Creagh
12. Luke O'Donnell
13.Paul Gallen

Interchange
14. Craig Wing
15. Justin Poore
16. Glenn Stewart
17. Michael Weyman

Im sorry but IMO this team takes the cake. Two rookie halves? James McManus? Brent Kite? Jamie Lyon who didn't want to play origin?

I have more faith in this years team than last years to be honest.

In hindsight yeah, but when it was first chosen there was good reason for it and many considered it the form NSW team.

With Stewart out, Gidley was easily the best option at fullback. At that time he was considered one of the best players in the NRL and his performance in the last Origin game gave hope that he would have a future in the fullback role.

McManus was the form winger, he was chosen for his defence.

Lyon was the right hand centre.

Campese was still the second coming at this time after 2008.

Wallace was chosen off the back of City/Country where he was easily the best player on the field.

One of the biggest talking points in 2008 was the oversight of Brent Kite. Well he got his chance again and once again he sucked.

Farah was also considered the best choice at hooker and many felt his selection had been a long time coming.

Gallen didn't even play that game and was out injured, an injury that really hurt him in the middle part of that season. Instead you had Laffranchi which everyone was praising and considered an improvement.

Poore and Weyman were the form front row.

I think you're the one with the short memory.

Big Pete

Referee
Well there were a few like Morris, Morris, Jennings, Hayne, Dugan, Carney and Weyman.
But for the most part you have to pick the best you can get. So how did
Idris get considered? There are at least eight eligible centres I can think of better than him.
That is the crux of people's annoyance is that they have chosen people out of position who don't deserve to be picked who and who aren't the best option for those positions.
Gidley at FB and captain? Yeah he may be nice bloke but there are at least three better fullbacks and oodles better captains.
Cooper? He may be a safe choice but he doesn't deserve it given his form compared to Morris and Jennings.
Lyons? Not at 5/8 when you have Carney, Campese, Barrett and Soward all fit.
Kimmorley? Hmmm, okay but his form this year hasn't really warranted it. They were okay with trying Pearce, well how about Carney?

I could go on but what's the point. The selectors and Bellamy are holding NSW back. The annoying thing is QLD will select a better side but they will get 5-on-the-trot not because they were outstanding but because NSW continue to shoot themselves in the foot (feet?).

Brett Morris is there.

Josh Morris...:lol: no.

Michael Jennings, no.

Josh Dugan, yes. Although if the selectors felt he was too young to handle rep. football I can understand that. He does throw some silly passes at time but I feel in an environment where he isn't called upon so much he would thrive.

Carney has been shocking.

Weyman, yes and he's in there.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
In hindsight yeah, but when it was first chosen there was good reason for it and many considered it the form NSW team.

With Stewart out, Gidley was easily the best option at fullback. At that time he was considered one of the best players in the NRL and his performance in the last Origin game gave hope that he would have a future in the fullback role.

McManus was the form winger, he was chosen for his defence.

Lyon was the right hand centre.

Campese was still the second coming at this time after 2008.

Wallace was chosen off the back of City/Country where he was easily the best player on the field.

One of the biggest talking points in 2008 was the oversight of Brent Kite. Well he got his chance again and once again he sucked.

Farah was also considered the best choice at hooker and many felt his selection had been a long time coming.

Gallen didn't even play that game and was out injured, an injury that really hurt him in the middle part of that season. Instead you had Laffranchi which everyone was praising and considered an improvement.

Poore and Weyman were the form front row.

I think you're the one with the short memory.

No mate. I dont have a short memory. When that team was picked I remember think FFS here we go again.

Although I dont agree with a couple of selections this year, I dont hold the same fear as last year. Having no experience in three of the 4 major positions was one of the dumbest things the selectors could have done. This years team might not be in great form but many are the best men for the job.

Its a myth that QLD selects on form. They dont. They pick the right men for the job and guys who have been there before. If Queenslands backline players had been absolutley sh*te all year at club level i daresay they would have all been chosen for QLD anyways.

Big Pete

Referee
No mate. I dont have a short memory. When that team was picked I remember think FFS here we go again.

Although I dont agree with a couple of selections this year, I dont hold the same fear as last year. Having no experience in three of the 4 major positions was one of the dumbest things the selectors could have done. This years team might not be in great form but many are the best men for the job.

Its a myth that QLD selects on form. They dont. They pick the right men for the job and guys who have been there before. If Queenslands backline players had been absolutley sh*te all year at club level i daresay they would have all been chosen for QLD anyways.

Well do you remember what side you had thought of choosing back then? I doubt it was much better.

Wallace had played at halfback before by the by and was one of New South Wales best when he made his debut there. So you're already wrong.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Well do you remember what side you had thought of choosing back then? I doubt it was much better.

Wallace had played at halfback before by the by and was one of New South Wales best when he made his debut there. So you're already wrong.

My team had Barrett and Kimmorely in the halves. Game three proved me right.

Old heads instead of two young blokes who have yet to prove themselves at Origin. Campese and Wallace was a recipe for disaster as soon as I heard the team announced and I was proven right.

Big Pete

Referee
My team had Barrett and Kimmorely in the halves. Game three proved me right.

Old heads instead of two young blokes who have yet to prove themselves at Origin. Campese and Wallace was a recipe for disaster as soon as I heard the team announced and I was proven right.

That halves pairing you chose also happened to go up against the weakest Queensland outfit.

Results prove me right.

chrisD

Coach
The only way I can see us winning game 1 is if Hayne gets frustrated with how big a bunch of spastics his side is and realises it's all up to him. Basically a typical Parra game.

Latest posts