What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

Big Pete

Referee
Your memory sure sucks. I've said before that Mal Meninga is what you want in an Origin coach- someone who has no links to an NRL club, no bias except towards the state he is coaching. I have also said before that Qld have been well-organised and had a better team structure as opposed to the Blues who for mine have chopped and changed their halves too much the past few years. If that's not having something good to say about the Maroons then I'm not here.

Secondly, I call it as I see it, and you can't say that if the Maroons hadn't won a series in a while that you wouldn't be discussing what was wrong with the coaching/ playing staff. Unlike you, I can critiscise my own side from time to time, and don't slam anybody from the Maroon side of the fence as an idiot if they dare to be critical of the NSW team.

The problem is Knightmare, you've played up just about every excuse you can to try and get out of saying the Maroons have had the superior side.

I doubt Daz would've had as big a problem with it had you not spun the amount of BS you've had over the years.

As for me, the Finch comment just seemed stupid. Really stupid.

Dazzat

First Grade
Thankyou, this was more or less my original point, before one or two people got all hysterical about it and decided that I was somehow having a go at Qld! :lol:

Nooo ... Knightmare having a go at Queenslanders .... ??? You'd never do that ...

After a robust debate we've decided this: not only does Queensland create superior rugby league players, but we also create superior sporting administrators.

What evidence do I base this opinion. Everyone here agrees that Mal Meninga is the right coach.

But let me remind everyone, that when Mal was chosen as coach for Queensland he was basically a failed NRL coach. It was an enormous risk and a great show of faith in Mal by the QRL to appoint him. It was a very shrewd, well thought out move.

Personally I don't think NSW administators are capable of making such risky decisions. They are too old school, conservative and frankly too mindful of protecting their own butts.

Queensland administrators have also put together a superior model of nurturing young talent into the Queensland team ... and we are seeing evidence of that in recent years.

Am I right or wrong Knightmare ... or are you reaching into your excuse bag as you read this?

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Actually, you're just backing up the gist of what Timmah and myself were saying- that being a good NRL coach doesn't necessarily= being a successful Origin coach. This whole argument started when I made a post saying that it's no surprise NSW haven't recorded a series win since the selectors have gone with coaches like Murray and Bellamy who have split loyalties. And then because I didn't get my dick out and start waxing lyrical about the Maroons, yourself and BP got your knickers in a twist about it!

Hypothetically, if NSW were to win this years' series 3-0 and you made a post being critical of Mal's coaching or the Qld selectors, I couldn't give a s**t. I definitely wouldn't go wailing like a banshee because you didn't mention anything about the Blues. FMD!

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Keep twisting things the way you want to Knightmare.

But hey, how about you post your New South Wales side.

Dazzat

First Grade
And then because I didn't get my dick out and start waxing lyrical about the Maroons, yourself and BP got your knickers in a twist about it!

Just a sporting "well played" would be a start.

If you did that, (acknowledge Qlders can play footy) maybe you reduce your excuse list to a three figure number.

Big Pete

Referee
Just a sporting "well played" would be a start.

If you did that, (acknowledge Qlders can play footy) maybe you reduce your excuse list to a three figure number.

Forget it Daz, this Queensland side isn't anything special. We haven't won a clean sweep.

Dazzat

First Grade
I find excuse making very exhausting, and facing up to the truth liberating.

Can I shout you a Staminade Knightmare?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Put the handbags away gentlemen

The Maroon side have the superior playing talent and admin, that much is clear

but

I believe the Blues can at least match them in the playing talent stakes if the selectors actually picked a side on merit and stuck with it.

The admin side however is trickier. I personally would like to see a non-NRL coach take the helm too but we need to go further, we need guys like Sirro, Blocker, Turvey, Joey, Freddy, Tommy, Eric Grothe, etc in camp with the team bringing the old school passion into the lead up. This is what the Blues need.

Knightmare

Coach
:lol: Keep twisting things the way you want to Knightmare.

But hey, how about you post your New South Wales side.

I'm not entirely sure yet of who I want 1-13. My suggestion of Finch is based on the fact that the current NSW coach knows his game from coaching him in the NRL weekly, and said player has done alright at Origin level. On the subject of accusing me of never acknowledging Qld have had good players/ teams- your words, not mine. As a side note, why the hell are guys like yourself and Dazzat posting in this thread? Don't see me hanging around the Qld 2010 Origin thread.

Knightmare

Coach
Put the handbags away gentlemen

The Maroon side have the superior playing talent and admin, that much is clear

but

I believe the Blues can at least match them in the playing talent stakes if the selectors actually picked a side on merit and stuck with it.

The admin side however is trickier. I personally would like to see a non-NRL coach take the helm too but we need to go further, we need guys like Sirro, Blocker, Turvey, Joey, Freddy, Tommy, Eric Grothe, etc in camp with the team bringing the old school passion into the lead up. This is what the Blues need.

Both those blokes have been involved with the Blues the last couple of years. I'd ad Benny Elias to the list- f**k he got up the noses of the Qlders!

Big Pete

Referee
My suggestion of Finch is based on the fact that the current NSW coach knows his game from coaching him in the NRL weekly, and said player has done alright at Origin level.

Obviously didn't catch his last Origin game then. He's only had one good Origin game to his name where Mason ran a riot.

Surely Bellamy won't stick with him.
As a side note, why the hell are guys like yourself and Dazzat posting in this thread? Don't see me hanging around the Qld 2010 Origin thread.

It's a free forum.

Ask a stupid question, get a lazy answer.

Knightmare

Coach
'Course it's a free forum. Although personally, I only look at the forums of teams I am interested in, but that's another story.

(Back on topic) As for the NSW halves, it depends who Qld pick. If Lockyer goes around again this year, Kimmorley and Barrett would be a safe bet IMO. 'Noddy' has had the odd brain fart (Origin 1, 2005) but in more recent times he has managed to get the job done. If Lockyer steps down and Qld go with Prince, then the Blues selectors could perhaps elect a younger halves pairing. It'd be nice to see the selectors name the NSW team AFTER Qld name theirs this time around but!

watatank

Coach
That doesn't make sense. If Barrett and Kimmorley were good enough when Lockyer was in the team why should it be any different for Prince/Cronk/whoever

perverse

Referee
That doesn't make sense. If Barrett and Kimmorley were good enough when Lockyer was in the team why should it be any different for Prince/Cronk/whoever
yep, i'm lost too.

we need a little more danger in our halves pairing than both kimmorley and barrett, imo. one or the other i could deal with, but i'm not sure about both.

Knightmare

Coach
What Lockyer lacks in speed, he has in experience, same as Barrett and Noddy. I don't see it working favorably if NSW mis-match their halves with who the Maroons select.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I hardly see why we should pick our halves based on who Qld pick their halves on. Its not a combat sport, they arent gonna meet one on one. When we get the ball, our halves will basically control what we do with it. Lockyer, Thurston, etc etc will only be other defenders. What Lockyer and the like can do with the ball will have no effect on our side if our halves are Pearce, Kimmorley, Barrett or even Finch.

It would be like picking our fullback based on who Qld's fullback is, they wont come into contact with each other much and the main role the fullback has in the team is to link up in attack.

Center, winger, front row and second row, different story perhaps. But not for halves, fullbacks and hookers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow, if you guys can't see the point Knightmare's trying to make I really feel sorry for you. Take the maroon coloured glasses off and try to see the point he's making - NSW's coach is a club coach, which isn't a good thing in itself - add to that he coaches a side consisting primarily of QLD Origin players... of course that's bound to have some effect on him. Suggesting it doesn't is biased in the extreme.

If anything he's trying to suggest ways we could improve NSW, but you're more interested in semantics on a forum by the looks. Step back and look at what he's saying, rather than trying to have a dig ffs

Knightmare

Coach
I hardly see why we should pick our halves based on who Qld pick their halves on. Its not a combat sport, they arent gonna meet one on one. When we get the ball, our halves will basically control what we do with it. Lockyer, Thurston, etc etc will only be other defenders. What Lockyer and the like can do with the ball will have no effect on our side if our halves are Pearce, Kimmorley, Barrett or even Finch.

It would be like picking our fullback based on who Qld's fullback is, they wont come into contact with each other much and the main role the fullback has in the team is to link up in attack.

Center, winger, front row and second row, different story perhaps. But not for halves, fullbacks and hookers.

Halves have the most influence on a game generally, we have more to lose than Qld so until we gain the ascendancy the best move should be to mirror what they do, but do it better. It's no use throwing inexperienced, but talented, NRL halves in if Thurston and Lockyer are picked, because as we've seen over the past few years, the experience of Smith, Lockyer, Thurston and Slater playing together has been a big advantage for them.

Dazzat

First Grade
Wow, if you guys can't see the point Knightmare's trying to make I really feel sorry for you. Take the maroon coloured glasses off and try to see the point he's making - NSW's coach is a club coach, which isn't a good thing in itself - add to that he coaches a side consisting primarily of QLD Origin players... of course that's bound to have some effect on him. Suggesting it doesn't is biased in the extreme.

Again, I think the major factor contributing to the four-peat is Queensland fielding a far superior team. This is the major factor behind the four-peat. The other major factor is Queensland's entire, strategic, well-thought-out administration and development process behind the team, of which Mal Meninga is just one part. There's much more involved than just Mal.

This whole club/coach thing ... minor in comparison ... but go your hardest.

Having said that, I think NSW have slowly been building their player stocks and this year, injury permitting, should field a pretty descent team.