What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

hutch

First Grade
Ennis stands up in the big games, Farah doesn't usually make it onto the field. It's no coincidence Farah breaks down before every big match, he's scared of a real contest.

I agree with Farah being more skillful, but Ennis has heart.

I hope they pick Farah.

you obviously dont watch much rugby league then! ennis is a good player, farah is a better player, and has been for the last 4 years. he will be the nsw hooker without any doubt what so ever!

Alan Shore

First Grade
1. Kidley
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Monaghan

6. Campese
7. Wallace

13. Lewis
12. Gallen
11. O'Donnell
10. Bailey
9. Farah
8. Poore

14. Campbell
15. Laffranchi
16. Hindmarsh
17. Weyman

Ennis stands up in the big games, Farah doesn't usually make it onto the field. It's no coincidence Farah breaks down before every big match, he's scared of a real contest.

I agree with Farah being more skillful, but Ennis has heart.

I hope they pick Farah.

I appreciate that you're debating with morons but there's no need to descend to their levels.

As for Farah having no heart, its apparent that you haven't watched a single Tigers game in the last 5 years. In 2007, Farah was forced to play with pain killers in his leg every game towards the end of the season. In 2008, Farah played on with a back injury of the same gravity that has kept Minichello out for so many games in recent years. Just last week against Souths, Farah stayed on the field after suffering heavy concussion. He was reportedly throwing up in the sheds after the game.

By all means, extol the greatness of Ennis - that's your prerogative. However, claiming that Farah lacks heart is a pathetic lie and indicative of the agenda that so many people on here have against the bloke.

Shifty

Juniors
I admit I was just stirring, but I don't think there's as much seperating Farah and Ennis as many people make out.

Even as a Dogs fan, I am not a huge fan of the niggle Ennis puts in and it doesn't help his popularity, but if that was a key criteria then Gallen would never get a game. Either way I don't think the Blues miss too much and I agree with a previous statement that so far both have been in better form than Cameron Smith.

Overall, I think Farah deserves to be named.

skeepe

Immortal
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs a bolter? Deserves to be there, the form forward in the comp at the moment

Matt23

Staff member
Learoyd-Lahrs would'nt be a bad selection, can cover front row and back row

mxlegend99

Referee
The only Raiders players with a legitimate chance would be Joel Monaghan and Terry Campese IMO. Although Terry Campese has probably played himself out of an Origin jersey.

I doubt the selectors would want to add more candidates for the NSW forward pack. I'm surprised they've added Chris Houston to be honest. The blokes in the Australian side would surely be guaranteed, which means we can probably expect the following:

8. Luke Bailey
9. Robbie Farah / Michael Ennis
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Paul Gallen
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Anthony Watmough

Which leaves only 3 bench positions for Keith Galloway, Michael Weyman, Ben Creagh, Justin Poore, Luke O'Donnell, Trent Waterhouse, Luke Lewis, Craig Wing, Chris Houston etc. to compete for.

With the bias that Craig Bellamy has shown, you could probably also expect to add Brett White and Ryan Hoffman to that list... and probably bump them up in priority.

Last edited:

Shifty

Juniors
Learoyd-Lahrs played a good hand in the Pime Ministers XIII against PNG a few years back. It's taken him a while to deliver on his potential, but he is playing well enough to come into consideration now.

lsta5838

Juniors
I went through each side and have come up with 28 players that either I think will make it or will probably get selected (regardless of wether I think they should be in or not). Here is what I think the team will be, and what I would choose:

Actual Team:

1. Gidley
2. McManus
3. Cooper
4. Lyon
5. Hayne
6. Mullen
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farrah
10. Kite
11. Watmough
12. O'Donnell
13. Gallen
14. Lewis
15. Poore
16. Creagh
17. Glenn Stewart

What I would go for:

1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Brett Morris
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farrah
10. Kite
11. Watmough
12. O'Donnell
13. Lewis

14. Weyman
15. Hoffman
16. Laffranchi
17. White

RedVfaithful

Juniors
1 Hayne
2 Monagham
3 cooper
4 jennings
5 b morris
6 gidley
7 wallace
8 bailey
9 farah
10 poore
11 gallen
12 laffranchi
13 creagh

14 lewis
15 stewart
16 weyman
17 waterhouse

The reason i picked cooper and morris is because they have a great partnership all the dragons trys have been scored on there side of the field and the back 5 all very quick

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
i cannot believe luke bailey is an automatic selection in most peoples teams. he reguarly gets dominated, has a slow play the ball, is slow and rather small for a prop. he is agreat workhorse which is great at club level, but he has never stepped up at origin level and is past his prime. i know we are short on props, but not enough for him to be our number one. i would have weyman, poore, kite (who is almost as bad), learoyd-lahrs, galloway ahead of him.

Last edited:

Parraren

Bench
i cannot believe luke bailey is an automatic selection in most peoples teams. he reguarly gets dominated, has a slow play the ball, is slow and rather small for a prop. he is agreat workhorse which is great at club level, but he has never stepped up at origin level and is past his prime. i know we are short on props, but not enough for him to be our number one. i would have weyman, poore, kite (who is almost as bad), learoyd-lahrs, galloway ahead of him.

I'm with you mate 100% but unfortunately we are very weak in the props dept and that's why Bailey & Kite will still get selected.

But they will need to perform or their heads will be the first on the chopping block.

I'm hopeful Poore & Weyman will also be there.

Galloway's unlucky he got injured at the worst time.

Would have been nice to see 4 new young and hungry props in Weyman, Poore, Galloway & Learoyd-Lahrs selected but it won't happen.

aqua_duck

Coach
firstly when is 6'2 and 108kg small?
Secondly when does he get dominated?
Thirdly, his play the balls are fine and finally how often do you see props(besides Danny Wicks) run more than 20m for you to accurately judge how quick he is?

Jason Maher

Immortal
The team I would pick:

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Peter Wallace
13. Luke O'Donnell
12. Ben Creagh
11. Mark Minichello
10. Michael Weyman
9. Robbie Farah
8. Luke Bailey

14. Luke Lewis
15. Trent Waterhouse
16. Justin Poore
17. Anthony Laffranchi

Paul Gallen is a grub and shouldn't be allowed near the team. Anthony Watmough is an overrated hack and I'll be fuming if he gets selected. Ben Creagh has been the form back rower in the comp and deserves a starting gig. Kite and Stewart do not have the form to warrant selection, but at least they are decent players (unlike Watmough). Minichello has out-played his team mate Laffranchi all year, and deserves the gig in my opinion. I would have had Alan Tongue in the team, but he's injured so one of Laffranchi or Stewart gets a reprieve. O'Donnell was in great form even when the Cowboys were sh*t at the start of the year.

The 5/8 spot is the one I ummed and ahhed over. Mullen, Campese, Barrett, and Soward were other players I considered. Soward has the form, but so does Lyon, albeit mostly in the centres for Manly. Barrett along with Gallen has been carrying Cronulla, and I'm sure he would excel at Origin surrounded by some actual talent, as he has in the past. Mullen has been in great form, and Campese rediscovered his at just the right time. In the end I went with Lyon for the experience, though I considered him in the centres instead of Cooper and Barrett at pivot.

For the record, anyone who suggests Gidley should play anywhere other than fullback is an idiot. It is his best position, he has been in form all year (unlike Hayne) and he did well last year when played there briefly in Origin. I'd consider him at 5/8 if Stewart was available and in form, but Stewart is not available, so it should be a no-brainer to put Gidley there.

Also, I'm sick to death of NSW picking defensive backlines. The job of the backline is to score points, so I picked on that I think will do so. I'd also love to see Presto on the bench, but Luke Lewis' form and versatility got him the nod (just).

Matt23

Staff member
I wonder if they'll name a shadow player for Kurt Gidley, although he should be right for origin