What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

perverse

Referee
How can you say he was pretty good and then say the bolded? Hodkinson and Reynolds were awful and in the end had to give up the kicking game to Hayne because neither of them are capable. They may have been better than the roosters duo but calling them good is being WAY too generous.

Also if you count giving away dumb penalties then i disagree that Reynolds didn't make stupid mistakes. He almost lost us the game with his penalties.
They can't kick very well, and we all know Reynolds is a grub - but they definitely did better than Pearce/Anyone combination of general play organisation. They kicked to the right places, too... even if it was clumsy and poorly executed at times.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to be kind to them and not looking to be campaigning for "that guy that plays for the team I support". I would also still way prefer this pair over the previous... and it makes me pretty happy that Pearce's stock for reselection just went down considerably.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reynolds and Scott were woeful when together in defence. Scott is too slow laterally and Reynolds is very weak in a sliding defence. That was a big issue for NSW all night.

Hoffman did sfa yet again, why do they persist with that plodder?

Woods, Morris boys, Farah, Gallen, the blues bench all played very well.

But Hayne was superior to everyone by an epic margin.

ek999

First Grade
How can you say he was pretty good and then say the bolded? Hodkinson and Reynolds were awful and in the end had to give up the kicking game to Hayne because neither of them are capable. They may have been better than the roosters duo but calling them good is being WAY too generous.

Also if you count giving away dumb penalties then i disagree that Reynolds didn't make stupid mistakes. He almost lost us the game with his penalties.

They gave Hayne those few kicks because he has a longer boot and we're were 25m out. The halves were both among our best, both did exactly what they were picked for. The only blemishes was Hokko's first kick to Tupou's wing and the second missed shot at goal

Just as long as Pearce doesn't get back in. Daley did say he was only not being considered for Game 1.

I'd rather have "a someone else" in the halves but if it comes to Pearce or keep tonight's combo I'm all for keeping what we had tonight - provided Hayne puts in some kicks.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hodkinson had a few bad kicks, the bombs were pointless.

Farah took over with two dummy half kicks into touch which helped right the ship.

You cannot give the QLD back 3 easy ball with room to move from kicks and Hodkinson and Reynolds did it several times, especially in the second half.

NSW is very lucky to have good kickers like Farah and Hayne available to take the pressure off the halves.

perverse

Referee
Is it weird that I think they played ok simply because they didn't derp a grubber when they had a 3 man overlap? Or kick it out on the full? Or fall for Thurstons dummy?

Game_Breaker

Coach
Is it weird that I think they played ok simply because they didn't derp a grubber when they had a 3 man overlap? Or kick it out on the full? Or fall for Thurstons dummy?

After putting up with Pearce for a few years, our standards have certainly dropped.

The yellow dress chick should be given the keys to the city

Hutty1986

Immortal
Bird and Fifita in. Must finish the job in Sydney. Will be a glorious sea of sky blue!

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Yeah I thought the halves were average but they did a good job not getting in the way of the more talented players in the team. :lol:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Bird in for Scott if he latter gets 2 weeks, otherwise in for T-Rex. Fifita possibly in for Hoffman. Need one more prop I think.

Sime_11

Juniors
while hodkinson's kicking game was not up to scratch (still better than pearce) I thought his set plays with hayne & Reynolds in first half made NSW look dangerous for once in a few years. don't drop Hodkinson, 1 performance does not warrant a dropping unless your Wallace, mullen etc.

chrisD

Coach
Pearce and Maloney won when Hayne was fullback too. Any two decent defenders will do, may as well be the current ones.

Latest posts