What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2017

skeepe

Immortal
The thing is, its not like hes only shown glimpses of form.

He's been close to the best forward in the entire competition this season.

Not just this season, he has deserved Origin selection for 3 years.

From what I understand, it wasn't form that saw him dropped and ultimately let go by the Raiders, but even so that shouldn't have played a part here when you have a bloke convicted of sexual assault in the team.

Vaughan has been held one of the best props in the game for many years now.

This argument fails miserably when applied to Jarryd Hayne too. He missed two years and hasn't looked anything like the player he was, his selection is a massive slap in the face to guys like Dylan Walker and Jarrod Croker who have been ultra consistent over a number of years.

Laurie and the selectors have no idea what they're doing.

skeepe

Immortal
Who's c**k do Paul Vaughan and Shannon Boyd have to suck to get into the side? One of them should have made the side at the expense of that marshmallow Aaron Woods.

Jordan McLean is the real head scratcher. Only hits the ball up 9 times a game, only runs for about 100 metres, doesn't offload or break tackles... nowhere near guys like Vaughan or Paulo this year or ever.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I think we've selected pretty well in the outside backs. I'm concerned that playing outside of Dugan will lead to a lack of football for his winger though as he can't/won't pass.

The spine is the good other than the horrible selection of Pearce. This is a massive backwards step. We should have put faith in the incumbent halves pairing considering they did pretty well in the first time they'd played together and won the game. Maloney is a good organiser if asked to perform that role for the team. Moylan has more vision and creativity in one of his fingernails than Pearce has in his whole body. Typical short memories of our blinkered selectors.

The forward pack is excellent other than Aaron Woods. Paul Vaughan or Shannon Boyd are clearly superior options. Good choice of captain too in Cordner.

The bench is also excellent, can't fault it at all with a combination of mobile and powerful forwards that hit hard and bend the line. The utility role suits Jack Bird to a tee as he is such a dynamic and versatile player.

He'll play big minutes in the halves when they inevitably have to hook Pearce for stinking the joint up. At least we've got a decent fallback option for the perennial failure.

Jason Maher

Immortal
When was the last time NSW carried a halves pairing from one series into the next?

Edit: The answer is 2000-01, kind of. Fittler and Kimmorley carried over from 2000, but Kimmorley was dumped for Barrett after getting flogged in game 1. Then I I think Barrett got injured for game 3 (after winning man of the match in game 2) and Kimmorely was brought back. Out of sheer curiosity I've gone back to the start of the NRL era to trace our revolving halves selection door over time. Prior to that was the Superleague mess, and prior to that we actually had a settled halves combination for 3 series (all of which we won) in Daley and Stuart.

1998:

Game 1: Laurie Daley, Andrew Johns
Game 2: Laurie Daley, Andrew Johns
Game 3: Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns

1999:

Game 1: Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns
Game 2: Laurie Daley, Andrew Johns
Game 3: Laurie Daley, Andrew Johns

2000 (Daley retired after 1999):

Game 1: Brad Fittler, Brett Kimmorley
Game 2: Brad Fittler, Brett Kimmorley
Game 3: Brad Fittler, Brett Kimmorley

2001:

Game 1: Brad Fittler, Brett Kimmorley
Game 2: Brad Fittler, Trent Barrett
Game 3: Brad Fittler, Brett Kimmorley

2002 (Fittler retired after 2001):

Game 1: Trent Barrett, Andrew Johns
Game 2: Braith Anasta, Andrew Johns
Game 3: Trent Barrett, Andrew Johns

2003:

Game 1: Shaun Timmins, Andrew Johns
Game 2: Shaun Timmins, Andrew Johns
Game 2: Shaun Timmins, Andrew Johns

2004 (Fittler unretired for games 2 and 3):

Game 1: Shaun Timmins, Craig Gower
Game 2: Brad Fittler, Brett Finch
Game 3: Brad Fittler, Trent Barrett

2005:

Game 1: Trent Barrett, Brett Kimmorley
Game 2: Braith Anasta, Andrew Johns
Game 3: Braith Anasta, Andrew Johns

2006:

Game 1: Braith Anasta, Brett Finch
Game 2: Braith Anasta, Brett Finch
Game 3: Mark Gasnier, Craig Gower

2007:

Game 1: Braith Anasta, Jarrod Mullen
Game 2: Braith Anasta, Brett Kimmorley
Game 3: Greg Bird, Brett Kimmorley

2008:

Game 1: Greg Bird, Peter Wallace
Game 2: Greg Bird, Peter Wallace
Game 3: Braith Anasta, Mitchell Pearce

2009:

Game 1: Terry Campese, Peter Wallace
Game 2: Trent Barrett, Peter Wallace
Game 3: Trent Barrett, Brett Kimmorley

2010:

Game 1: Jamie Lyon, Brett Kimmorley
Game 2: Trent Barrett, Mitchell Pearce
Game 3: Trent Barrett, Mitchell Pearce

2011:

Game 1: Jamie Soward, Mitchell Pearce
Game 2: Jamie Soward, Mitchell Pearce
Game 3: Jamie Soward, Mitchell Pearce

2012:

Game 1: Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce
Game 2: Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce
Game 3: Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce

2013:

Game 1: James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce
Game 2: James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce
Game 3: James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce

2014:

Game 1: Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson
Game 2: Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson
Game 3: Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson

2015:

Game 1: Mitchell Pearce, Trent Hodkinson
Game 2: Mitchell Pearce, Trent Hodkinson
Game 3: Mitchell Pearce, Trent Hodkinson

2016:

Game 1: James Maloney, Adam Reynolds
Game 2: James Maloney, Adam Reynolds
Game 3: Matthew Moylan, James Maloney

2017:

Game 1: James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce

Last edited:

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Jordan McLean is a murderer almost and more importantly a shit player. How is he in this team over Vaughan, Paulo and Boyd? Laurie Daley is a merkin!

Danish

Referee
I am very excited to see how NSW perform without f**kstick boat anchor Farah stinking it up at dummy half. That bloke murdered the origin careers of so many halves in his time yet somehow always came up smelling like roses.

If we can get lucky enough for Woods to break down in training maybe we'll actually have a chance (although no doubt Daley would send out an SOS to Gal to come out of retirement instead of just picking Vaughan like he should have in the first place).

Being someone that wants to see NSW get crushed this year, it feels so good just sitting back and knowing that Pearce is the halfback. Now I finally know how Queenslanders have feeling all this time :joy:

OldPanther

Coach
i'd probably take this thread a little more seriously if supporters of clubs didn't just chime in because their player wasn't selected or was selected on the bench. f**k me. be objective rather than a bunch of emotional bitches.

To be fair everyone is wondering what's up with Vaughan. I think he was the single most supported player in NSW(me included). They should have picked him for that alone. Having the fans hearts in at after the last 11 would be a big deal.

OldPanther

Coach

From what I understand, it wasn't form that saw him dropped and ultimately let go by the Raiders, but even so that shouldn't have played a part here when you have a bloke convicted of sexual assault in the team.

This argument fails miserably when applied to Jarryd Hayne too. He missed two years and hasn't looked anything like the player he was, his selection is a massive slap in the face to guys like Dylan Walker and Jarrod Croker who have been ultra consistent over a number of years.

Thank you. When I mentioned the Hayne thing I just got scoffed at.

mxlegend99

Referee

Lmao... on Vaughan you are spot on.

But Hayne unlike every other player named has proven himself a quality Origin player. He and Pearce are proof that club form means little.

You need good club form to get picked originally. But after half a dozen or more Origin games you should be judged on those before club games.

Some players will never be good enough. Pearce is the perfect example. Just like Kurt Gidley before him.

Some players will suffer bad form but the second they get picked will do the job still. Queensland have a knack for that.

Danish

Referee
Some players will suffer bad form but the second they get picked will do the job still. Queensland have a knack for that.

That generally only applies to derplanders that are just phoning it in playing for a Sydney club.

Nate Myles is the poster child for this phenomenon

nick87

Coach
Team is trash. Will likely get flogged but at least Hayne and Tedesco are there. That gives the blues a fighting chance if one of them decides to put on a clinic

If these teams were picked on form Paul Vaughan would be an incumbent and have 6-9 origins to his name already
His continued snub is pretty f**king outrageous

He's NSW's best front rower and has been for years

Barkley

Bench
If Woods was swapped for Vaughn then I think it is pretty close to our strongest team. I am pretty happy with the side Laurie has selected.

There can be a case made for Dylan Walker, Moylan and JDB but I can see why they were left out. You can't pick them all.

Farrah is finally gone. I'm not sure that Peats is our long term option but anyone other then Farrah is a step in the right direction. The big pussy cat, Tamou, is gone also. Laurie has made some good calls this year which he has failed to do in previous years.

Latest posts