What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team - way too early speculation

aqua_duck

Coach
Frizzell and Trebojevic J were chosen on reputation. Cordner will be as well although he did play well for 40 minutes last week. That's our starting back row. And how many more? Bennett will be salivating profusely.
Frizell led all edge backrowers in metres and tackles and was top 5 in tackle breaks and tackle percentage, statistically it was one of his best years, the dragons failures could hardly be attributed to him

aqua_duck

Coach
Don't know if a short freshen up will help him, but Boyd Cordner was walking last night - again. He looked shot for most of the game.

That Roosters pack has looked very old, slow and tired the past month.

Shout out to Angus Chricton who has improved out of sight over this season though.
The new rules and his body have rendered Cordner into the Josh Jackson calibre of 'courageous' but ultimately passenger level plodder. Crichton on the other hand has gone to a new level

typicalfan

Coach
Frizzell and Trebojevic J were chosen on reputation. Cordner will be as well although he did play well for 40 minutes last week. That's our starting back row. And how many more? Bennett will be salivating profusely.
Is that a medical condition or something?

Yes with guys like Josh Kerr lol. Don't mix form with class. Those guys deserve their selection.

blue bags

First Grade
Names? Can only find paywall articles
NSW coach Brad Fittler will name a raft of Roosters and Eels players in his Blues squad later on Sunday, after they bowed out of the NRL finals.

Boyd Cordner, James Tedesco, Luke Keary, Angus Crichton and Daniel Tupou are likely selections from the Roosters, after they lost to Canberra on Friday.

"They've had a fantastic season and they've all played for NSW, bar Luke Keary," Fittler said on The Sunday Footy Show, without confirming any selections after the names were raised by fellow NSW great Peter Sterling.

Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo, Nathan Brown and Clint Gutherson were named as likely picks from the Eels by Sterling, after they lost to the Rabbitohs on Saturday. Only Campbell-Gillard has already played for NSW.

"I thought Junior Paulo played his way into a NSW jersey last night," Sterling said, after the prop ran 155 metres and threw a neat hit-and-spin try assist against South Sydney.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F57105e46-d3b6-463e-8f0d-8115e07150f8

Eels star Clint Gutherson runs during his side's finals loss to South Sydney. (Getty)
Fittler replied: "I thought Junior was outstanding. It was quite amazing, I thought Junior and Gutho were my standouts when I looked at the game overall.

"Obviously Cooky (Souths and NSW hooker Damien Cook) came up with the magic moments and most probably pipped them at the end when he scored that try, but to be on a losing team and have your fullback (Gutherson) was one of the best players and you front-rower (Paulo) as one of the best players, I thought was a pretty outstanding effort."

Fittler said that the Eels, who bombed out of the finals with consecutive losses to Melbourne and Souths, at least didn't give up. They were into the match a rabble, losing wingers Maika Sivo and Blake Ferguson to injury, then veteran centre Michael Jennings to a positive drug test.

Latest NRL Videos

Roosters face big calls in halves
01:53

Freddy reacts to possible Origin picks
00:34

RLPA Predictions: Ryan Papenhuyzen
02:22

Sterling branded the end of Parramatta's season "disappointing", having lost five of their last nine games. Yet he gave them a seven out of 10 grade, having finished the regular season in third place.

Gutherson had an incredible first half against the Rabbitohs, scoring two tries and assisting another, before coughing-up a ball in the second half that allowed Bayley Sironen to score. He ran 210m and made three line breaks.

The Eels captain and fullback has been a NSW shadow player previously and should figure high in this season's Dally M Medal tally.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nsw-st...sterling/049f8317-1496-4cf3-9016-10607a89faae

typicalfan

Coach
All pretty obvious picks. Tupou has had a better year I suppose the only one that people would question. Cordner is a guaranteed pick despite some not rating him, just the way it is.

greenBV4

Bench
All pretty obvious picks. Tupou has had a better year I suppose the only one that people would question. Cordner is a guaranteed pick despite some not rating him, just the way it is.
Hopefully we blood a new captain though, I dont think cordner will be around much longer, especially with how much more taxing the new rules will make origin games

Freddy's threatening to f**k up again like he nearly did last series by outsmarting himself. He nearly derailed it by leaving Maloney out initially, only to quickly realise his f**k up.

Just go with the proven formula mate. Pick and stick, class over form. Have NSW not learnt anything from when QLD was so dominant?

Guys like Klemmer have to be there. They were a big part of the success over the previous two years.

betcats

Referee
Freddy's threatening to f**k up again like he nearly did last series by outsmarting himself. He nearly derailed it by leaving Maloney out initially, only to quickly realise his f**k up.

Just go with the proven formula mate. Pick and stick, class over form. Have NSW not learnt anything from when QLD was so dominant?

Guys like Klemmer have to be there. They were a big part of the success over the previous two years.

If it is true that Klemmer sulked his way through an origin camp I doubt that great QLD side picks him either. NSW has a much bigger talent pool, pick and stick doesnt make sense. Its works great when you have a spine full of immortals and your options are limited anyway. NSW arent in that position.

aqua_duck

Coach
If it is true that Klemmer sulked his way through an origin camp I doubt that great QLD side picks him either. NSW has a much bigger talent pool, pick and stick doesnt make sense. Its works great when you have a spine full of immortals and your options are limited anyway. NSW arent in that position.
My issue with Freddie's picking on form theory is he's not really picking on individual form but instead it looks like he's trying to throw in as many players as he can from teams doing well, I mean the talk about Moses Leota, James Tamou and Liam Martin being included in the squad, all 3 have had good years but Leota and Martin have only really shown 6 months of good form and Tamou has been there before and never really set the world on fire, also Finucane seems to be seen as an automatic selection despite being behind Murray and Trbojevic and he hasn't played for about 2 months. We've gone down this road of picking players from good teams before when we picked guys like Turner, Quinn, Wolfman, Buhrer, Kite, Jason King, Ben Creagh, weyman, poore, etc and it's not a good selection strategy

betcats

Referee
My issue with Freddie's picking on form theory is he's not really picking on individual form but instead it looks like he's trying to throw in as many players as he can from teams doing well, I mean the talk about Moses Leota, James Tamou and Liam Martin being included in the squad, all 3 have had good years but Leota and Martin have only really shown 6 months of good form and Tamou has been there before and never really set the world on fire, also Finucane seems to be seen as an automatic selection despite being behind Murray and Trbojevic and he hasn't played for about 2 months. We've gone down this road of picking players from good teams before when we picked guys like Turner, Quinn, Wolfman, Buhrer, Kite, Jason King, Ben Creagh, weyman, poore, etc and it's not a good selection strategy

Leota and Tamou's form has been great all year and Martin since the season restart, they are being mentioned because of their great form being a contributing factor to their club doing so well. He hasnt actually picked any of them yet in any case its just talk and I very much doubt more than one of those three will make the squad if that.

He has picked a number of players who werent in great form from teams that didnt do well but are incumbents so I dont think he is just picking the team one way or the other. Some players are going to make the squad on form, some will likely get picked just to give them experience but most of the top 17 will be picked as incumbents whether their form has been good or not. Teddy, Cook, Cleary, Wighton, Jake Turbo, the Fox, Frizzel, Haas, Murray, Cordner for example, im probably forgetting some.

typicalfan

Coach
Martin, Frizell and Crichton will be battling for that right edge spot. Frizell could be preferred as a middle forward. Martin runs that great overs line and has a good combo with Cleary.

greenBV4

Bench

Seems Walker is in the box seat for 6 and not Keary

Probably the right choice, Keary tarnished his chances with his winging about wanting to play for QLD

aqua_duck

Coach
Martin, Frizell and Crichton will be battling for that right edge spot. Frizell could be preferred as a middle forward. Martin runs that great overs line and has a good combo with Cleary.
They've got Murray, Trbojevic and Finucane as middle options. I think Crichton will be on the bench as he can cover edge, middle and centres.

shear_joy9

Coach
Wighton is comfortably the form 6 in the league. Shuffling him into the centres simply because he can play there is just stupid. Throw Walker in the centres if they think he's good enough for origin