What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Under 16's and 18's 2012

rabbitrabbits

Juniors
Mate, how can that be fair. Surely all groups should have had rep trials then forwarded a player list for the probables and possibles trial.

I absolutely agree, I don’t think it is fair, however I believe it could be problematic considering the Country Rep games are always after the selection of the probables and possibles.

Basically CRL players are chosen by CRL scouts, which reinforces politics are not restricted to the City. Plus some regional players are developed by the QLD system (as they are only seen as TOKEN CRL [as previously posted] players who dont deserve to be in the NSW U16), and take the opportunity to play in the Cyril Connell Cup.

So people shouldnt be surprised or complain (not you personally) of NSW born players pledging their allegiance to QLD in the future, as they are eligible to play for QLD as they are unfortunately sometimes overlooked by NSW/CRL.

rooster009

Juniors
yeh thanks it is a bit of a joke how can it be fair to country kids regards state of origin, a more fair system works for is the ccc trials were all areas have a chance to send kids to it my son made the ccc state side but didnt get a chance for state of origin because of being country kid for all kids playing in the bush they should be givin a chance to show what they have thanks

KAB

Juniors
I believe there be another CRL team in the Matts comp then it would be 18 team comp instead of 17. But my only problem is how / where do they pick the team from (western division or northern or southern).
They could also do a 3 or 4 way trial. 2 CRL and 1 possible and 1 probably team. Play over 1 or 2 days.
The Matts comp is flawed anyway, teams with byes and others not. Ball comp is joke Clubs stack their teams with imports with no juniors. This is proven when you look at Canberra Roosters Matts teams near the bottom of the table and Ball teams in the top 4.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I believe there be another CRL team in the Matts comp then it would be 18 team comp instead of 17. But my only problem is how / where do they pick the team from (western division or northern or southern).
They could also do a 3 or 4 way trial. 2 CRL and 1 possible and 1 probably team. Play over 1 or 2 days.
The Matts comp is flawed anyway, teams with byes and others not. Ball comp is joke Clubs stack their teams with imports with no juniors. This is proven when you look at Canberra Roosters Matts teams near the bottom of the table and Ball teams in the top 4.

I can understand everyone's point of view re: country players. Just maybe, there could be a round robin series of matches between North, Western and Southern divisions U15s at the end of a season. Then the winner of this series goes in as the 18th team in the HM Cup competition in the following year. This would get rid of the bye, allow country players greater exposure.

The two unsuccesful divisions could then play sometime before the possibles v probables match and players nominated from this match to try out for the NSW U16's in the possibles v probables. The team playing in the HM Cup would have players selected as with other HM sides.

While the year previously? Because the HM and SGball starts so early in the year (early February) it would not be fair to ask these country divisions to play for their spots in say January and training for HM and Ball actually commences in early November the year prior.

Surely, the NSWRL can finance this.

Sounds like a reasonable idea?? Comments welcome.

Regards,

rooster009

Juniors
I think everyone agrees that the system is not fair but I like the idea of a country team in the harold mats system and get country rugby league to kick in for a bit of surport and the idea of a early trial least gives the country kids a fair go we travelled from young to wollangong 1 ,s a week sometimes 2 to train then to play the trials it was about a 12 hour round trip with the idea of going back to our group and come through the country system to make the state side but it is all done and dusted before we even play our group trials so those who ideas come up with these things lets try something else so everyone gets a chance thanks

KAB

Juniors
At least we agree that the NSWRL need to be accountable to get Rugby league to the counrty areas, this could be the Start. In today's Telegraph, It read that the commission needed to act on some area and one was to get Games to the counrty regions. Wouldn't be great for team to travel to a regional area. Im sure the Crl / NSWRL / ARL could afford this. The Round robin for the U15's side to make the Matts comp before hand is a great idea.

rabbitrabbits

Juniors
At least we agree that the NSWRL need to be accountable to get Rugby league to the counrty areas, this could be the Start. In today's Telegraph, It read that the commission needed to act on some area and one was to get Games to the counrty regions. Wouldn't be great for team to travel to a regional area. Im sure the Crl / NSWRL / ARL could afford this. The Round robin for the U15's side to make the Matts comp before hand is a great idea.

Personally, I think any suggestion would be better than the current situation.

As in Northern I know at least 8-10 kids being developed by the QLD CCCup (who live in NSW), 3 who even get flown up to play footy each weekend and will probably get their opportunity first with QLD and not NSW. And even 1 who is in the Queensland Academy Squad whose head coach is Wayne Bennett

Seriously, how could a 16yr turn down the opportunity to play for QLD when NSW/CRL dont even look at them.

I suppose my biggest concern is 5 years down the track people will say, why or how could a player born in NSW choose QLD (such as Greg Inglis). And the reply is simply, QLD had developed and shown interest first.

Barney60

Juniors
Personally, I think any suggestion would be better than the current situation.

As in Northern I know at least 8-10 kids being developed by the QLD CCCup (who live in NSW), 3 who even get flown up to play footy each weekend and will probably get their opportunity first with QLD and not NSW. And even 1 who is in the Queensland Academy Squad whose head coach is Wayne Bennett

Seriously, how could a 16yr turn down the opportunity to play for QLD when NSW/CRL dont even look at them.

I suppose my biggest concern is 5 years down the track people will say, why or how could a player born in NSW choose QLD (such as Greg Inglis). And the reply is simply, QLD had developed and shown interest first.

It makes sense for the kids in Northern NSW to play in Qld. I know of 2/3 who travel to the Titans for training weekly or twice weekly, before playing in the CC cup, as the drive is only 1 1/2 hours. Of course they are scouted by the QLD clubs as thats where they play their football. Although give some credit to CRL i believe a couple of them were in the Country contingent for the possible probables match so haven't escaped all notice.

stretcher

Juniors
It makes sense for the kids in Northern NSW to play in Qld. I know of 2/3 who travel to the Titans for training weekly or twice weekly, before playing in the CC cup, as the drive is only 1 1/2 hours. Of course they are scouted by the QLD clubs as thats where they play their football. Although give some credit to CRL i believe a couple of them were in the Country contingent for the possible probables match so haven't escaped all notice.
It's actually called the Wayne Bennett academy but he dosent actually coach them he turns up to a couple of games and stands in the crowd dosent go in sheds or sit with coaches

KAB

Juniors
NSWrl has alot to answer, CRL are screaming out to get teams or games in their regional centres. Why dont they look at it? I can give you the reason they dont want to spend the money on letting a team from Northern / Southern or Western Regions in as its to hard for them to organise and are scared to upset some NRL clubs. They realise the flaws and inequity in the MAtts comp, but I have been told by a good source, its to hard for them. As I and everybody know, well if its too hard get out of the job, make some desicion for the better of the juinior / grass roots of Rugby League.
Portlock and co. you should be on notice.
While I'm on a rant, I'm sure you and your talent scout from the NRL clubs will be trying to poach players at from CRL (Central Coast / South / North/ West) NSW CCC and NSW CHS trials in coming weeks, especially if they are from out of their junior base. Instead of spending time developing their own.

stretcher

Juniors
It's actually called the Wayne Bennett academy but he dosent actually coach them he turns up to a couple of games and stands in the crowd dosent go in sheds or sit with coaches
Also they might be getting developed in qld but there is no guarentee they will play for Queensland so I don't know why ur making comparisons for state they are playing cc cup that isn't a state team

stretcher

Juniors
Also they might be getting developed in qld but there is no guarentee they will play for Queensland so I don't know why ur making comparisons for state they are playing cc cup that isn't a state team
So traveling two hours to play at titans or nine hours to play at a Sydney club plus everyone knows the roosters fly down 8 players from Queensland every week so they are being developed by roosters but I bet they will play for Queensland it's a personal choice a certain loyalty to the state not a league decision

Scorcher

Juniors
Back to the Under 18's now that everything is over and one with looking at the clubs that have called SG Ball players up to their 20's squad most are struggling. Manly are running last in the 20's so have no option but to put out the search light for anyone with ability, Parra aren't travelling too bad and have quite a few 18 year olds in their NYC squad.
With Balmain winning the SG Ball and the National game you would expect that they would have 4-5 players being called up, well they don't have any SG Ball kids in their top 17 as yet and don't look likely to while they are sitting on top of the 20's table. Will this affect the chances of Balmain getting their fare share of players into the NSW 18's, I would expect that Moses would be a certainty but with all of these other kids playing 20's I think that may be it for them. They deserve to get 3-4 IMO but does getting the call up to 20's affect selections that much??

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Parra decided not to play a few of their players in SG Ball this year and they have been playing 20's all season.

At Penrith, Bryce Cartwright and Chris Smith have played 20's since Penrith's SG Ball season finished. Penrith is going really well in the 20's too.

Bryce is an 'incumbent' as he was Lock in the 16's in 2010. Smith came over from the NT this season.

KAB

Juniors
I wonder if Manly will use this to push the cause for those players playing in the CCC trials or CHS trial that will occur in coming days to play NSW CCC or CHS. As they had 18's players, in 20's.
I could not see the tigers use their under 18 players in the u20's ans their position on the table is high unless they wnat to blood a kid (rest a player). Parra did not make the 18's finals for the first time for a long time. I wonder if they will play 18's up next year.

DummyHalfScoot

Juniors
I want to wish all the young men representing the Blues in tonights U16's all the best. It will be a lifelong memory and I'm sure they will do themselves, their families, their clubs and their state proud.

I don't think it will be easy. NSW are usually too strong at this age but I have a feeling the U16's from QLD will be very confident.

Scorcher

Juniors
Oh yeah, I'm a genius. Were are you Isaiah???? A crushed canetoad.

Souths Logan were all Islanders except for the Fullback, Parra tried to play them up the middle and got dominated early. Once they started moving the ball around it was a different story, I think the U/18's will also crush those Cane Toads.

Latest posts