What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC 2011 Thread

Sidestep

Juniors
Won't see this weekends match against Raiders. Both teams under strength. Interested in how Chris Binge copes at No 7, thought Cullen better suited to swap positions? Appreciate any comments from anyone that watches this game. Also keen to hear how BJ Burgess goes off the bench. Cheers

Big Pete

Referee
BUMP

So the boys have slid down to 10th after a lot of close losses during an unkind Origin season that has taken many casualties in the Toyota Cup line up. Currently the side is missing: fullback Lachlan Maranta, centre Jordan Kahu, centre Jerome Leedy, centre Aaron Whitchurch and halfback Cameron Cullen. With the senior side calling on Dale Copley, Dane Gagai, Corey Norman and Kurt Baptiste in recent weeks coach Richards' team has really had to dip into his depth players just to stay competitive.

Just in some news, the game will not be played tomorrow evening in Perth rather the boys will travel to North Sydney oval and play their game at 1pm on Saturday.

The side has been named as...

1. Dane Gagai
2. BJ Burgess
3. Dale Copley
4. Matthew Berwick
5. David Faamita
6. Bryce Hegarty
7. Louis Frisby
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Benn Malley
10. Matt Smith
11. Daniel Wallace
12. Mitchell Frei
13. Chris Binge

14. Stephen Coombe
15. Mboya Adams
16. Jake Kelly
17. Rian Diffey

With Copley's and Gagai's call up into first grade the formation of the side will change before kick off.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Without Copley and Gagai its gunna be tough for the young guys to win this one.

What happened to Chris Kudriani? He looked pretty good to me.

Big Pete

Referee
Being 18th man for first grade rules Gagai out?

:lol: knew somebody would call me out on that. Are we even now? :p

I should have said with Copley and POSSIBLY Gagai being called up the line up will inevitably change but wasn't thinking.

Also another mistake I made was that the game is on later today. Still no word who will replace Copley in the centres but at a guess I'm going to say Dan Wallace will shift into the position and they'll call up an extra forward. As I mentioned earlier, we've suffered a lot of injuries to the backline, probably more than what I know.

Just an aside, I've been doing A LOT of study on the NYC comp. (Thank you NRL Stats and SOME NRL websites most of them suck and are filled with little to no detail). Within the next couple of days I'll post up who's standing out for the Broncos and where these players stand in terms of the competition.

To basically state the obvious, Baptiste and Frei are the two stand outs but they're joined by some good company.

Finally, just heard word that NRL squad member Aaron Whitchurch will likely miss the rest of the season.

GoTheBronco - I'm unsure on the Kuridrani front. Seagulls do you have any knowledge on the matter? If not I'll do some research and report back.

EDIT: Has left the club and is back playing Rugby.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...g-out-of-numbers/story-e6frepm6-1226069696524

Sevens regular Jono Lance is certain to come on to the bench as a backline utility while Chris Kuridrani, recently returned to rugby from a spell with the Broncos in the NRL's Toyota Cup Under-20s, will also train with the Reds this week.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
That's a blow. Kuridrani looked like a good player to me. The injury toll and call ups to the NRL have really killed the under 20s.

:lol: knew somebody would call me out on that. Are we even now? :p

I should have said with Copley and POSSIBLY Gagai being called up the line up will inevitably change but wasn't thinking.

Also another mistake I made was that the game is on later today. Still no word who will replace Copley in the centres but at a guess I'm going to say Dan Wallace will shift into the position and they'll call up an extra forward. As I mentioned earlier, we've suffered a lot of injuries to the backline, probably more than what I know.

Just an aside, I've been doing A LOT of study on the NYC comp. (Thank you NRL Stats and SOME NRL websites most of them suck and are filled with little to no detail). Within the next couple of days I'll post up who's standing out for the Broncos and where these players stand in terms of the competition.

To basically state the obvious, Baptiste and Frei are the two stand outs but they're joined by some good company.

Finally, just heard word that NRL squad member Aaron Whitchurch will likely miss the rest of the season.

GoTheBronco - I'm unsure on the Kuridrani front. Seagulls do you have any knowledge on the matter? If not I'll do some research and report back.

EDIT: Has left the club and is back playing Rugby.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...g-out-of-numbers/story-e6frepm6-1226069696524

ooh awesome, looking forward to this. Its ASRL feeder picks time lol.

Big Pete

Referee
In the ASRL? Wouldn't surprise me, some of the scouts pick up players around your age Didgi.

I may have been one of them.

Big Pete

Referee
All Star Rugby League.

An affiliated Rugby League fantasy competition which PWA, Didgi and a few members of LU are apart of.

Big Pete

Referee
I sure did have a nice collection, which is apart of the reason I wanted to just leave. As fun as the game was, I just had too many commitments and felt like the juniors should go to players who really invest a lot of time in the game. Such as yourself. So appreciate away Didg.

Back onto the topic and the boys finally won!

32-24 over a lowly placed Souths in a poor quality affair but a win is just what the boys needed.

Stand outs were...

Dane Gagai: 1 Try, 1 Try Assist, 1 Linebreak, 13 Runs for 169m, 4 Tackle Breaks, 3 Offloads.

David Faamita: 2 Tries, 2 Linebreaks, 11 runs for 109m, 2 Tackle Breaks, 2 Offloads

No real stand outs in the forwards. Jarrod Wallace scored two tries, lock Chris Binge had a solid all-round game and Frei just kept on trucking.

Didgi

How long do you think until Frei makes the step up BP? If memory serves there was a warm-up injury earlier in the year and he nearly got his chance? Around origin time I guess would have been his best shot, he still has another year in NYC though correct?

no_try

Juniors
I sure did have a nice collection, which is apart of the reason I wanted to just leave. As fun as the game was, I just had too many commitments and felt like the juniors should go to players who really invest a lot of time in the game. Such as yourself. So appreciate away Didg.

Back onto the topic and the boys finally won!

32-24 over a lowly placed Souths in a poor quality affair but a win is just what the boys needed.

Stand outs were...

Dane Gagai: 1 Try, 1 Try Assist, 1 Linebreak, 13 Runs for 169m, 4 Tackle Breaks, 3 Offloads.

David Faamita: 2 Tries, 2 Linebreaks, 11 runs for 109m, 2 Tackle Breaks, 2 Offloads

No real stand outs in the forwards. Jarrod Wallace scored two tries, lock Chris Binge had a solid all-round game and Frei just kept on trucking.

Where are you getting your stats from? On NRL.com it has Dane with 2 try assists and 201m.
David Faamita with 166m.

Big Pete

Referee
Those were the initial stats, they've since been updated.

Lots of stand out for the Broncos.

Latest posts