What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nyc

Serc

First Grade
NYC: Newcastle Knights v North Queensland Cowboys
5.15pm Saturday 24 July 2010
Dairy Farmers Stadium
1. Peter Mata'utia
2. Mitch Williams
3. Harmony Hunt
4. Will Smith
5. Dale Clacherty
6. Api Pewhairangi
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Jake Finn
9. Chad Redman
10. Cruise Wlson
11. Zane Tetevano
12. Carl Means
13. Ethan Cook (C)

Interchange:
14. Matt Herman
15. Kirran Shearer
16. Rodney Mason
17. Chris Knight

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=28035&round-20-teams

Adsy

Juniors
Does anyone have a clue as to who might play fullback next year for us in NYC seeing Pete will be too old?

roopy

Referee
Nice to see Kirran Shearer getting a run, but pity it's at the expence of Cordner.
It would be nice seeing the two hard men of the squad both getting a run at the same time.

Nick Dwan is bloody unlucky. He has been our best in a few games, but I suppose Clacherty is 3 years younger and nearly as good.

Herman has shown in the last few weeks that he has some weak points in his game - the two tries he butchered against Cronulla cost us the game.

Adsy

Juniors
Nice to see Kirran Shearer getting a run, but pity it's at the expence of Cordner.
It would be nice seeing the two hard men of the squad both getting a run at the same time.

Nick Dwan is bloody unlucky. He has been our best in a few games, but I suppose Clacherty is 3 years younger and nearly as good.

Cordner may be suspended. Got placed on report for raising the forearm last week.

I'd have Dwan on the wing, Clacherty in the centres and Hunt carrying the drinks.

Fairweather, Chanel Mata'utia, Will Smith, or maybe Clydesdale.

Cheers, Roops.

Would like to see Clydesdale get a run actually. Not a fan of Fairweather. Mata'utia probs has a wing spot sewn up and Smith will either be in the halves or centres. Though he could potentially be a very good fullback and I think he has played there before.

roopy

Referee
I'd have Dwan on the wing, Clacherty in the centres and Hunt carrying the drinks.
Clacherty is very over rated IMO - not a bad player, but i'd have Chanel Mata'utia and maybe even Pat Mata'utia over him.
Hunt is old (in NYC terms) but i think he is having his best year. They dropped him to Centurions last week and he scored two tries.

Would like to see Clydesdale get a run actually. Not a fan of Fairweather. Mata'utia probs has a wing spot sewn up and Smith will either be in the halves or centres. Though he could potentially be a very good fullback and I think he has played there before.
Fairweather has looked decent at fullback for the Centurions.
Smith and Clydesdale both shared the fullback spot during the Ball season, but i think both are better halves than fullbacks.

Serc

First Grade
Stats not updated yet mate :) often takes a few days for the NYC to come through if its not the Fox game I've noticed.

roopy

Referee
NYC: Newcastle Knights v Manly Sea Eagles
4.45pm Monday 2 August 2010
EnergyAustralia Stadium
1. Peter Mata’utia
2. Mitch Williams
3. Dale Clacherty
4. Will Smith
5. Nick Dwan
6. Adrian Davis
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Jake Finn
9. Chad Redman
10. Cruise Wilson
11. Zane Tetevano
12. Matt Herman
13. Ethan Cook (C)
Interchange:
14. Carl Means
15. Kirran Shearer
16. Rodney Mason
17. Chris Marlborough
18. Dane Cordner
19. Jarrod Tua

Great to see Marlborough's name, and also good to see Dwan back and Shearer retained.

Serc

First Grade
Wow Marlborough is back quickly - good to see that he is presumably back to full fitness again! Shame they don't show the NYC game on Monday nights...would've liked to have seen him make his return.

Barry's Beath

Juniors
Marlborough is being chased by the Titans but wants to stay loyal to the Knights to repay them for faith they showed in him during his injury period.

Marlborough is being chased by the Titans but wants to stay loyal to the Knights to repay them for faith they showed in him during his injury period.

If the Knights throw any sort of half-decent coin at Marlbs, he'll stay. The bloke has never wanted anything else but to play for the Knights. If he leaves, the club is going to have one dangerously pissed off fan to deal with.

Serc

First Grade
NYC: Newcastle Knights v Canterbury Bulldogs
11.45am Sunday 8 August 2010
EnergyAustralia Stadium
1. Peter Mata’utia
2. Mitch Williams
3. Dale Clacherty
4. Will Smith
5. Nick Dwan
6. Adrian Davis
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Jake Finn
9. Chad Redman
10. Cruise Wilson
11. Zane Tetevano
12. Matt Herman
13. Ethan Cook (C)

Interchange:
14. Carl Means
15. Dane Cordner
16. Rodney Mason
17. Chris Marlborough
18. Kirran Shearer
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=28605&title=round-22-teams

Same as last night but with Cordner on the bench. Won 28-10 by the way.

Pika

Bench
Limited minutes coming on for Redman.

Solid in defence.

Good in attack behind a dominating pack.

Still short a gallop but should hold his psotion.

Held my breath every time he tackled though....:cool:

roopy

Referee
Outstanding draw against the form team of the comp.

We had a bunch of injuries with Mata'utia looking gone for the season early and Redman having to go off after a head clash, so we were well behind the eight ball with a real quality side throwing plenty at us, but pure grit from several players saw as sneak a draw in the final minutes.
No player was more important than Chris Marlborough, and it was like a fairytale after they did a pre game promo on how he was coming back from a broken neck, he had to come on early and play 70 odd minutes with Redman injured, and he played the house down and set up Will Smith for the final try, and calmly popped over the conversion from near the sideline to draw the game.
Others to show grit were Redman when he came back on, Roberts, Finn, Ethan Cooke was brilliant, and a special mention to Rodney Mason who just keeps getting better and better as the season goes on.
Nick Dwan scored two, and even though Will Smith had a shocker at fullback, he showed in the final try when he ran about 60 and outpaced everyone that he has plenty to offer.

Serc

First Grade
Some stats from last week vs Manly (only updated on Fri by the looks lol)

The team made 1683m vs 1300m (which is quite a lot for a whole team, lots of matches are somewhere between 1100 and 1300)

Mata'utia 253m (25 runs, 1 try assist, 10 tackle breaks, 1 line break)
Wilson 164m (17 runs, 4 tackle breaks)
Cook 123m (10 runs)
Marlborough 110m (10 runs, 4 tackle breaks)
Mason 106m (12 runs, 6 tackle breaks, 1 line break)

Redman made 5 dummy half runs for 50m
Marlborough made 8 dummy half runs for 98m

Tackles
Herman 35 (missed 7)
Cook 34 (missed 2)
Means 29 (missed 0)
Marlborough 25 (missed 1)
Wilson 25 (missed 2)

2 try assists for Roberts
2 line breaks for Williams, who also wasn't made to make any tackles.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Today vs Dogs

We completed 31 from 40, and the Dogs completed 20 from 35, so in theory the Dogs should never really been in the game. Also reflected in the errors, 22 errors to 10.

However when the Dogs actually held onto the ball they produced more, and took advantage of their opportunities.

Obviously us not winning with such possession and low error rate is offset a bit by the fact that we lost Mata'utia and Redman in the first half (though Redman came back later), which forced a reshuffle.

Tetavano 141m (15 runs, 14 hitups for 131m)
Smith 137m (9 runs, incl one 80m run for his try at the end)
Cook 121m (15 runs, 2 try assists, 3 offloads)
Mason 118m (12 runs, 3 tackle breaks, 1 line break, 10 hitups for 103m)
Finn 109m (11 runs)
Cordner 103m (12 runs)

Marlborough made 7 dummy half runs for 56m

Marlborough 26 tackles (0 missed)
Means 25 tackles (1 missed)
Cook 24 tackles (0 missed)

Finn 21 (5 missed)

roopy

Referee
I was thinking during the game that the very good bulldogs side was exposing which of our players were able to play at a high level. Cook, Marlborough, Mason, Roberts and a few others stood up and showed they have class, while guys like Tua, Clacherty, Herman and Will Smith showed they have a long way to go or are just pretenders.
Tetevano was dissappointing. He always looks like he will do something special, but rarely does. He looks like our top physical specimen, but like he is only going through the motions.