What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Domestic Thread

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Thought it would be good to have a thread to discuss domestic performances. Wellington are 220 odd for 7 atm against Canterbury.

What a sorry state of affairs NZ Domestic cricket is at the moment.

From my perspective, there are only few players to watch in the hope that they can break into the Black Caps in the next 18 months :

Canterbury
Leighton Burtt - Left Arm Quick
Corey Anderson - 16yr old All Rounder
Hamish Bennett - Right Arm Quick
Brandon Hiini - All Rounder
Richard Sherlock - Does he even exist anymore?

Auckland
David Houpapa - Batsman

CD
Peter Ingram - Batsman
Tim Weston - Batsman

ND
Tim Southee - Right Arm Quick
Te ahu Davis - Is he still alive?

Wellington
Jessie Ryder - Batsman

Otago
Greg Todd - Batsman

Not a lot of talent kicking round at the moment

MKEB...

Staff member
I thought Sherlock played for CD.
Peter Ingram-I believe he is 29-30

Add Watling to ND
Dwayne Bowden To Wellington
Van Wyk to Canterbury

Dont look much better then either.

blain

Juniors
sherlocks injurys have seen him drop out of canterburys contract list, van wyk hasnt been in the country for long enough, needs to play for another year over here. james mcmillan is a possible for the bowling front, most likley our fastest bowler behind bond. i've been watching guptil, hes got some talent but needs time. i dont rate ingram, well not internationally.

Yeah maybe not ingram on 2nd thought.

Bowden - Never going to be up to International standard - far too slow - 2 length bowler.
McMillan - Also around the 30 - 31 age bracket.

IanG

Coach
So is there one province that has alot of the Black Cap eg a lot of NSW players in the Aussie team or are they spread out?

JJ

Immortal
IanG said:
So is there one province that has alot of the Black Cap eg a lot of NSW players in the Aussie team or are they spread out?

In recent times it's been Canterbury (Papps, Fleming, Astle, McMillan, Stead, Harris, McCullum, Bond, Martin, Cairns all played there at various stages) - like Australia it varies, reasonable spread atm

Canterbury have usually had the main black caps (harris, astle, cairns, mcmillan, bond, martin, fleming), but these days its a little more spread out. Out of the current guys :

Auckland : Vincent, Martin, Styris, Mills
Canterbury : McCullum, Bond, Papps, Fulton
Wellington: Fleming, Gillespie, Patel, Franklin
CD: Taylor, Oram, Sinclair, How
ND: Vetori
Otago: Cuming

blain

Juniors
mcmillan is still 29, but we dont have the young stars at the mo, we have a few really young ones in southee anderson and davis, but 18 is a little too young for now. i which butler could still bowl at 150..

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Update on Wellington/Canterbury game.

Wellington got 254 in their 1st dig and Canterbury responded with 313 with Van Wyk scoring 111 of 105 balls.

Wellington currently 1 for 22.

JJ

Immortal
blain said:
i which butler could still bowl at 150..

I don't know that Butler ever could bowl 150. Seemed a bit like Shane Watson - reasonably quick (140ish) but little else to recommend him - be interesting to see if he can do a Styris/Richardson

No way. He hasn't got the skills with the bat.

Should really start thinking about life after cricket. What a disappointment

JJ

Immortal
I think he is, but to be blunt I don't want Sth African cast offs in our team!

Iafeta

Referee
Heh, we need all the help we can get. What's the other ones, Elliott and Myburgh? New Zealand cricket it so ordinary at the moment Mark Hastings would get a gig and he'd have to be 40 now.

JJ

Immortal
Matthew Bell played very very well today - a forgotten man? Better than Cumming imo

Iafeta

Referee
He's a decent bat who was thrown in early in his career. I'm not sure he's up to that level anymore though. If he keeps bashing home runs though you'd have to at least consider it. FTR, FTW fo shore fo shiz fo life, my openers at test level would be Papps and How, and at ODI level Vincent and How.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Heard on the radio yesterday that they reckon ND are going to announce that they have signed Andrew Strauss for the State Shield on Friday.

JJ

Immortal
Iafeta said:
my openers ... at ODI level Vincent and How.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo