What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Domestic Thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Andre basically said that he didn't want to go to South Africa just to carry the drinks, and miss out on the 4 day stuff for Auckland. He is normally around 140km. Personally i don't think he has always been used at the right times in ODIs, but he has underperformed

Off the top of my head, my team for the 1st test would be

Papps
Cumming
Sinclair
Fleming
Styris
Taylor
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Gillespie
Martin

How knocking extremely hard on a top 3 spot, Fulton putting the pressure on Taylor as well, with Adams the next bowler off the line for Gillespie, who you can't drop after taking 5 on debut. Without disrespecting the Bangers, who have some handy cricketers now, that team is also based around guys like Papps, Cumming and Taylor getting a better chance to get a score and build confidence at international level, which is often all they need to get firing. Pre getting hit, Cumming was playing reasonably well in SA, and i would like to see he and Papps perservered with for at least one more series.

To answer an earlier question about what Flynn is like, i personally haven't seen him play, but listening to the radio he seems an attacking middle order bat, who is consistently putting together good scores this season.

While on the coverage, i get bloody irate when the cricket is on and we get 2 hours of Gunn or Lose talking crap and bugger all live commentary. Bring back the old sports roundup days, used to get it non stop. Can't beleive they carried practically no commentary of the Aussie/Lanka series

Iafeta

Referee
Does this bring back memories BH?

The great days of summer
Is the something something something
For the wonderful days of summer
Singing do a something something something... da da da

Around the grounds, at the Basin Reserve, Bryan Waddle and Ron Snowden for Central Districts versus Wellington.

"Where the score is 0/20 after 13 overs, goodmorning Ron Snowden."

Man, I used to dine out on Radio Sport, it was just cricket cricket cricket. Duff man, ooh yeah.

blain

Juniors
i like gunn sometimes, darce is good. i agree though, it pisses me off when they talk about rugby all day and the season has f*kin finished.

shiznit

Coach
i think they talk about rugby because of the henry/deans stuff at the moment.
you cant blame them for going with what the public want to talk about.

i disagree with Bell. it feels like were going backwards. hes been tried a couple of times over the last decade and made the selectors look like idiots... glad to hear he doesnt use that stupid stance anymore. apart from this score of 250 odd i havent heard much else from him.

unless he starts running up the numbers that Papps did last summer i cant see him getting back in. frankly i would rather fly upto england and beg Craig Spearman to come back and open.

JJ

Immortal
Choosing Bell does have a backwards feel about it...

But - no doubt he's in tremendous form - he's only 30, and has scored 20 first class centuries (incl 1 test century) at 37 opening - Bell was last tried in tests when he was about 24... anjd he has been running up those numbers - 600 runs so far at over 100 well clear of everyone

Compare that with some other options

Cumming - 32 years old, 11 centuries at 34 and a similarly mediocre test record when given a chance at a more mature stage

Papps is 28, 12 centuries at 35...

How is 26, 8 centuries at 33...

I doubt that they will, but given that he's a similar age, a more mature cricketer with more success, Bell would be the first I'd pick.. why you would continue to pick Cumming in particular over him is completely beyond me - so, for mine, Bell and one of How/Papps

shiznit

Coach
its an interesting dilema. i think Papps probably deserves to be shown abit of leeway because 2 tests in the republic really isnt enough of a run considering his form that got him in the side in the first place.

i would really give him the word though... say to him that hes got 2 tests against the Banga's to get alot of runs. if he cant do it at home against the Banga's then you can drop him.

How may have to bat down at 3 or 4. at Taylors expense. i really like Ross... hes the future of the side imo but he really isnt ready for test cricket. no doubt if he gets a go though he will punnish the Banga's but i think giving him false confidence will do more damage to him than good.

i agree on cumming...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Does this bring back memories BH?

The great days of summer
Is the something something something
For the wonderful days of summer
Singing do a something something something... da da da

Around the grounds, at the Basin Reserve, Bryan Waddle and Ron Snowden for Central Districts versus Wellington.

"Where the score is 0/20 after 13 overs, goodmorning Ron Snowden."

Man, I used to dine out on Radio Sport, it was just cricket cricket cricket. Duff man, ooh yeah.

2nd line is "Feel the worries drift away"

I was the same mate, some great days. Would have been about 12/13 and the Radio went with me everywhere, would go down to the Shell Cup games and have Pater Sharp in the ears listening. They would cover every game to a good extent.

Remember once at primary school i got sent out of class for playing up, and while I was out there, i got to listen to the end of a test match v the Pakis when Young and Thomson both made 120 in the final innings, coz the school was being painted. Was awesome

Iafeta

Referee
That was the shiz, that game. Young and Thomson got us home from nowhere. I was watching Thomson the other day in a World Series game, I have no idea how he hit the ball he didn't move his feet or nothing... unbelievable stuff :)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Kane Williamson, the young ND kid, is continuing to pile on the runs. He is defintely looking like our next world class bat, without wanting to put too much pressure on him hehe

In the Gillette Cup last week, i noticed he made 116 in a pool game and then 100 the next day in the 3rd v 4th playoff, was named player of the tournament, and in todays ND v Bangladesh game which was interupted by rain, he hit 47* from 56 balls.

blain

Juniors
25 centurys at the age of 17? and its not like he was playing 3rd grade. he must have the goods.

there are some rumours around that ryder will be in the 20/20 side against bangers. i hope so, but i doubt it, braces is to much of a snobby bugger . he doesnt want people in the side who dont suit him. selfish as.

JB

Juniors
Good to see these young kids get some first class experience before the youth World Cup. Southee, Williamson, Corey Anderson, Gareth Morgan (Akl), Worker (CD). Nucleus of a good u/19s.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
blain said:
25 centurys at the age of 17? and its not like he was playing 3rd grade. he must have the goods.

there are some rumours around that ryder will be in the 20/20 side against bangers. i hope so, but i doubt it, braces is to much of a snobby bugger . he doesnt want people in the side who dont suit him. selfish as.

surely he's a better option than Lou Vincent

blain

Juniors
maybe in a few years. did anyone see cricket company? daryle hadlle took southee to the denise lillie bowlers school, and lillie said that southee is as good as mcgrath was at his age. that is a massive rap from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Blaze

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
Kane Williamson, the young ND kid, is continuing to pile on the runs. He is defintely looking like our next world class bat, without wanting to put too much pressure on him hehe

In the Gillette Cup last week, i noticed he made 116 in a pool game and then 100 the next day in the 3rd v 4th playoff, was named player of the tournament, and in todays ND v Bangladesh game which was interupted by rain, he hit 47* from 56 balls.

yeah I saw him bat twice during the Gillette Cup last week. He looks quality.

There is actually a bit of talent coming through at the moment, which is encouraging for the future.

blain said:

Correct.

Bolters will be Southee and Ryder.

Couple of other stragglers will come into the side as well. Probably Mason and maybe Bradley Scott

MKEB...

Staff member
Yep, Southee and Ryder have been named. Flem will captain. Fulton is back as is James Marshall (reserve fielder)

Side note...I'm sure James marshall is worth around 30 runs in the field like his brother :roll:

JJ

Immortal
While I agree with the notion of blooding young talent against Bangladesh, I wonder about the wisdom of playing your most promising under 19 pace bowler in a 20/20 game - hardly a place for bowling - if they really like him, surely he could play in an odi against them - it's not like Mark Gillespie is any good...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bangers could get us in that game, we don;t have that flash an atack for 20/20

Am looking forward to the Masters v Under 19s before it too

blain

Juniors
happy fulton named. he was playing well in his last games and also got and also got a 100 in first class.

“It also allows the chance for some exciting emerging players. Jesse Ryder is an undoubted talent at the top of the order, while Tim Southee is a very promising fast-bowler. This match gives both players exposure to an international-class level of competition.

thats what we wanted to hear. good stuff. hopefully it sorts out ryder, by saying that your not to far off the team. i like jesses bowling aswell, seems to take some wickets.