What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Domestic Thread

blain

Juniors
one dayers and international cricket is a whole different story. do we need another spinner atm? no. let him make his way through domestic cricket first.

blain said:
another thing with hira is being with auckland, recently they have packed thier team with ex nzers, adams, tuffey, and when black caps are back you've got martin, mills, styris, hitchcock. hell be struggling to get in the team.

remember mix i think it was posting about that ozzie who moved here to play for northern? he made his debut the other week and got a duck. Cameron Merchant.

Yeah been keeping an eye on Merchant.

P.S. Might be getting a new coach by the end of the tour to England........

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
blain said:
one dayers and international cricket is a whole different story.

What????

You do release that there are these things called "one day internationals"....they actually started in the early 70s. International teams play one-dayers. I've seen it with my own eyes.

do we need another spinner atm? no. let him make his way through domestic cricket first.

Yes. We've currently got a #2 spinner who plays quite often and is rubbish.

blain

Juniors
i mean domestic and international cricket. i mean really man.

patel hardly plays. he should play tomorrow because id rather have him than o'brian.

whats your problem with patel? he gets turn, drift and is a good fielder. you cant say that he has been sh*t for nz because anus hit him for 4 6s in a row. he has done alot of good stuff for the side.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
blain said:
i mean domestic and international cricket. i mean really man.

No kidding. What's your point? What other basis do we have for selection?

patel hardly plays. he should play tomorrow because id rather have him than o'brian.

He has played plenty of one-dayers...I agree btw, no idea what O'Brien is doing in the team

whats your problem with patel? he gets turn, drift and is a good fielder. you cant say that he has been sh*t for nz because anus hit him for 4 6s in a row. he has done alot of good stuff for the side.

My problem with Patel was clearly highlighted in the above post- he is probably the worst spinner (maybe the worst regular bowler full stop!) in domestic one day cricket in New Zealand, yet he's the one who gets picked for the side!

His performances in ODI cricket have been slightly superior to his domestic performances (kudos to the selectors for having the vision to see that a poor domestic player was actually capable of competing at a higher level) but overall not good enough, and we need to try someone else. Patel is not up to scratch. His figures in ODI cricket are indicative of this. He is far too expensive yet not a great wicket taker- just not quite good enough.

blain

Juniors
No kidding. What's your point? What other basis do we have for selection?

thats why we should let him play first class first.

blain

Juniors
first class is where you show your true ability mate. you cant put him in the squad in front of a very capable bowler because hes had a few good one day games. he needs to prove himself in both forms.

im saying give him time.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
blain said:
first class is where you show your true ability mate.

Jesus H Christ

First class is where you show your ability in 4 or 5 day cricket, one day cricket is where you show your ability in one day cricket. It's not rocket science.

you cant put him in the squad in front of a very capable bowler because hes had a few good one day games. he needs to prove himself in both forms.

Don't even know where to start on this.

First off- Patel has a terrible domestic record and a poor international record, yet you call him a "very capable bowler"

You say Hira has had "a few good one day games", yet he has already had more good domestic one day games than Patel has had in his entire career

You say he needs to prove himself in both forms when Patel has never proved himself in any form

im saying give him time.

So if his performances deteriorate horribly for another 3 or 4 years he might be on the same level as Patel was when selected?

JB

Juniors
On Patel, he just seems to be one of those players who perform better at international level than domestic.

Obviously the selectors never picked him on his domestic record but on what they saw he could be potentially capable of - a good foil for Dan Vettori.

Imo he's done a pretty good job when selected and more importantly doesn't look out of his depth on the international stage.

His and a few other's international o/d record.
Matches/wickets/ave/sr/R.P.O

Jeets
29 36 33.52 40.1 5.00

Monty Panesar
26 24 40.83 54.5 4.49

Danish Kaniera
18 15 45.53 56.9 4.79

Vettori after the same amount of matches
29 29 31.68 36.8 5.10

Imho he stacks up pretty similar with how Dan was at that stage. I'm sure he'd like to bring that R.P.O under 5, and while Vettori will always be no.1 and Jeets domestic record aint that flash, i'm pretty happy with what he brings to the o/d game.

Iafeta

Referee
From recollection, Vettori's first class record isn't mind blowing and it was more ordinary at this relative stage of his career.

Patel does need to vary his flight a bit more, he has more 'spin' attributes than Vettori, but Vettori is suave. That delivery to Collingwood yesterday by Vettori was superb. Patel's asked to bowl later in the innings with a more dart like tragectory, but it'd be nice of New Zealand to give him a role earlier in the innings to see if he can develop more flight and guile to his game, because he possibly has the tools to be better than Vettori, barring for Vettori's height which he uses to better effect with loop and drop, ala Collingwood's dismissal.

Iafeta

Referee
Onto other matters, I see England have a NZ Invitational XI this Monday... I hardly know any of the names in that team.

And I see ICL are going to go legal to try and get Bond reinstated as an international cricketer, and not a banned international cricketer. Good stuff. I know it's not the 'sanctioned' league, but if they keep this sharade up it will be countries like New Zealand with small talent pools who will consistently lose their top 1-2. As long as the players are available for their international teams when their programs are on, it's almost seems highly untenable to allow one series but not another.

Any guesses at the test team lads?

1 Jamie How - if it's Craig Cumming...why I'll.... GRRRR
2 Mathew Bell
3 Mathew Sinclair - I think they'll hold back Ryder and send him on the tour of England, but I'd be tempted to pick him for the fact I think his medium pacers may tie up an end as a change bowler for a few overs
4 Stephen Fleming
5 Ross Taylor - I think he'll come back for Fulton, which is sad in a way. Ideally I think at the moment NZ's safest top order is Fulton, Fleming and Taylor after the openers but Fulton's confidence looks shot to hell. Taylor was in a rut, but he's at least tried to be aggressive and get through it. Fulton looks like a man not sure how to score runs, which given how many he's scored at first class level is odd.
6 Jacob Oram - couple of bad innings lately though
7 Brendon McCullum
8 Daniel Vettori (captain)
9 Kyle Mills
10 Jeetan Patel
11 Chris Martin

There's no 'fourth' medium pacer really sticking their hand up right now, if Southee wasn't at the Under 19's I'd be tempted to play him, because he looks to have what's required. The outsider, given he went to South Africa, and that he's a left armer may be Brad Scott perhaps?

What's your thoughts fellas? No more Cumming...No more Cumming... at least on the cricket field anyway.

JB

Juniors
That was a great delivery that got Collingwood. He has such great control, and it must be so hard to get to him. One minute the ball is at eye level and youv'e got it lined up, then it just dies on you.
He has probably the best armball in the business, and the control he has while varying his speed, and without any noticeable change in arm speed is amazing. Harry Potter indeed!

JB

Juniors
Test team i think they'll go with.

Cumming (i'd rather he'd be going,going and gone but this is Braces we're talking about)
Bell
How (i think the selectors like the idea of another opener at 3. He'll be in 2nd or 3rd over anyway)
Flembot
Ryder/Taylor/Fulton/Sinclar (i'd prefer Ryder but i think it's a lottery)
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
O'Brien/Gillespie/Mason/Patel (depending on the deck)
Viv Richards

MKEB...

Staff member
Bell,
Cumming, looked at sea on green tops but is a battler. IMO will to well in Pomgolia.
How
Flem in NZ Sinclair in Pomgolia (why leave now Flem)
Fulton (the worm will turn soon)
Oram
McCullum
Vettori (dont like him as a capt)
Mills
Obrien
Tommy

blain

Juniors
bell
how
flem
sinclair
taylor (going to be ryder...)
oram
mccullum
vettori
mills
mason (dont know if he will be right)
martin.

http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/content/b...selection.aspx

New Zealand Cricket today announced a team to play England in a first-class match at University Oval Dunedin, commencing Thursday (28 February).

The team is:

Jamie How (captain)
Matthew Bell
Peter Fulton
Ross Taylor
Mathew Sinclair
Grant Elliott
Mark Orchard
Bevan Griggs
Jeetan Patel
Mark Gillespie
Iain O'Brien

“With Otago Volts qualifying for the State Shield final, we have taken the opportunity of using a replacement squad,” said selection manager Sir Richard Hadlee.

“As Auckland Aces are also involved in that match, we have selected players from the other four first-class provinces.

“Matthew Bell, Peter Fulton, Mathew Sinclair, Mark Gillespie and Iain O'Brien are involved in the current two-day game and will remain in Dunedin for the first-class match.

“A number of BLACKCAPS have been selected to help them prepare for the Test series, allowing them to open the head-to-head contests they will face this season.

“There are also other players we want to look at and give them an opportunity to impress.
”

Interesting - gives a couple of indications :

How will certainly be the test opener with bell.
Hay is not in the frame.
Elliot is on the verge.
Mark Orchard is constantly rewarded for doing nothing.

Now this makes me think.... With Ryder gone for 3 months I think the selectors are already planning for his absence for the one day series in England. How will be pushed up to open and Grant Elliot will come in (possibly at 6) to offer another bowling option.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
sh*t it isn't looking to flash in that invitational game for us.

England made 369 all out with Cook gettin 85 and Shah 96 and atm we are 51 for 5.

Bell 0
Fulton 0
Fleming 5
Sinclair 2

And England have used Phil Mustard as one of their bowlers. And O'Brien is batting at 8.