What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Domestic Thread

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'd say O'Brien and How just played their way into the test team. O'Brien took 4-34 and How scored 60 odd. Good to see Bell get 40 as well.

Fast Eddie said:
I'd say O'Brien and How just played their way into the test team. O'Brien took 4-34 and How scored 60 odd. Good to see Bell get 40 as well.

Jamie was always going to be there.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
47 to Sinclair. Scores of players in test contention.

Bell 40
How 65
Fulton 23
Taylor 8
Sinclair 47

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The test squad has been named.

New Zealand squad 1 Matthew Bell, 2 Jamie How, 3 Stephen Fleming, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Mathew Sinclair, 6 Jacob Oram, 7 Brendon McCullum (wk), 8 Daniel Vettori (capt), 9 Kyle Mills, 10 Iain O'Brien, 11 Chris Martin, 12 Grant Elliott, 13 Jeetan Patel.

Wellington Firebirds all-rounder Grant Elliott has been included in the BLACKCAPS squad for the first time.

The South African-born all-rounder (pictured) has already played for New Zealand A. Elliott is a solid middle order batsman and a good bowling option with his ability to swing the ball.

Jamie How, after his excellent form in the recently completed National Bank ODI series win over the English, comes into the team as an opening batsman to partner Matthew Bell.

Ross Taylor also returns to the test team after missing selection against Bangladesh.

The experienced Stephen Fleming is likely to bat at number three. Peter Fulton is unavailable for this test with a reoccurrence of the right knee injury he sustained last year.

He will be confined to strengthening work in the gym and the injury will be reassessed prior to the second Test.

Michael Mason and Jesse Ryder were also not considered because of injury.

www.blackcaps.c.nz

Iafeta

Referee
Good news there for Elliott, the Seth Afrekin. Would his bowling be up to this level though?

I'm kind of hoping they go with Patel as the fifth bowler, the English are generally not so good against spin bowling.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Wow, just listening to the local radio and they making an interesting point

With Fleming in Wellington and Martin now in Auckland, this would be the 1st NZ side to not include someone from Canterbury in it for many many years

blain

Juniors
thats the best line up i reckon we have atm, elliot got some wickets against england in the warm ups, thats why hes been given a go. so..

how
bell
flem
sinclair
taylor
oram
mccullum
vettori
mills
o'brian
martin

patel
elliott

unless its a turning pitch.

JB

Juniors
Elliott? Geez Braces can throw a few up out of left field!

f**k, shows how hard up we are for a 4th or 5th paceman at the moment.

Southee back in the country yet?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Elliott well and truly deserves it.

He hasn't been picked as an out and out seamer imo, he has been picked as a number 5/6 who could get through some good overs during the day.

He should be phoning a few people at Canterbury Cricket and rubbing their noses in it

JB

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
Elliott well and truly deserves it.

He hasn't been picked as an out and out seamer imo, he has been picked as a number 5/6 who could get through some good overs during the day.

He should be phoning a few people at Canterbury Cricket and rubbing their noses in it

f**k, if he's a no.5 or 6 test batsman we're in deep kaka! He's gone alright in o/d cricket this season but I struggle to see how he "well and truly deserves it" in regard to the longer form.

Averaging a prolific 23.00 in the State Championship this year. 27.00 overall.

Bowling average 38.00 this year. 33.00 overall.

Tbph he should struggle to make an A squad let alone a Test squad. But, thats just indicative of the depth we have at the moment i guess.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Ryder averaged 13 and has a ODI average of 45+ now

They haven't played 4 day cricket for over 2 months, in all the cricket since then, he has been 1 of the top performers in the country, so deserves a shot imo

JB

Juniors
If he deserves a shot, then it should be in the game that he's performed in, and that's ODIs. He's done nothing in the longer form to suggest he's even close to being a potential Test player.

Ryder was a gamble that paid off. Pure and simple. The selectors picked him on obvious potential despite the record and he delivered on it. I'm not sure Elliott shows that same potential that warrants the same consideration.

Point taken about the lack of 4 day cricket though. We do ourselves no favours with the timing of our domestic schedule co-inciding with the international stuff.

I hope Elliott can prove otherwise, but imo he's a handy all rounder who, as his record suggests, is probably not strong enough in either discipline yet to be considered international quality. I wish him luck though.

blain said:
maybe if we needed an opener... how will slot in to open with brendon in ODIs.

not for a while yet pal.

From what im hearing there are a couple of roughies who are going to be going over to england to cover McCullum, Oram and Vetorri. Nicol is one, Hopkins will probably land up being the keeper cover, and Hay is a possibility if he can get himself a contract in the Northern Hemisphere for the winter.

Personally, I'd rather Sinclair was the backup keeper and replace Hopkins with Guptil. But those are the three names being mentioned currently if NZ Cricket allows those 3 senior players to join the squad late.

This will be the final series for Braces by the look of it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
JB said:
If he deserves a shot, then it should be in the game that he's performed in, and that's ODIs. He's done nothing in the longer form to suggest he's even close to being a potential Test player.

Ryder was a gamble that paid off. Pure and simple. The selectors picked him on obvious potential despite the record and he delivered on it. I'm not sure Elliott shows that same potential that warrants the same consideration.

Point taken about the lack of 4 day cricket though. We do ourselves no favours with the timing of our domestic schedule co-inciding with the international stuff.

I hope Elliott can prove otherwise, but imo he's a handy all rounder who, as his record suggests, is probably not strong enough in either discipline yet to be considered international quality. I wish him luck though.

Yeah i see where you are coming from, but One day cricket is all we have to go on at this point, How being the prime example of that, his onde day form has demanded a test spot

I haven't seen a lot him play, but from what i have heard the Radio Sport commentators have rated his ability