What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Maori 2008 World Cup

carlnz

Bench
They are coming........

And they are dead serious this time round:roll:

All jokes a side, they are prepearing now for the World Cup and they think they will be there with all their NRL players etc etc

Its going to be another farce.

Anyway.....I might try and get a run. Im not a Maori.....Im not even a Kiwi.....infact Ive never been to New Zealand. But going by the last World Cup these things wont matter.

See, THIS is what happens when you dont have a governing body and you have no rules in place. :x

carlnz

Bench
Mate they were on the TV last week and tonight talking about it.

They were saying they have such a longer history than many other nations that they cant be ignored.

They are developing there players now and sorting out more tests next year for the preperation.

They were talking to Koopu who was left out of the Tri Nations squad and and they said you have a spot in our World Cup team for 2008. Richie Barnett will be the backs coach and Nikau will be the coach.

I am a 100% Serious about this

girvie

Staff member
I think it shouldn't be allowed that Maori play in the world cup.

What i would like to see is a NZ Maori vs Australian Aboriginal test or series. I think it would draw great crowds. They could play a match as the curtain raiser to the World Cup Final.

Australian Aboriginals vs New Zealand Maori would be a GREAT matchup that should be played once a year with full strength sides.

But not during a World Cup.

roopy

Referee
We need the 10 strongest teams possible in the WC.
If NZ Maori can come up with a stronger lineup than Scotland etc etc, they should be in.
The best place to sort it out is the footy field.

I think the qualifying tournaments are going to be crackers.

Malta, NZ Maori, the West Indies, Lebanon, even Italy and Greece will really put up great challenges, and if the beat out sides like Tonga, Scotland, Wales and USA - hopefully it will be because they put together a damn good side.

Get on the field, and let the best ten outfits win.

What we need is ten REAL internationa teams.

If we want to see NRL players wearing a different jersey lets just have a WWE style draft and have a World Cup with about as much credibility as a HLA Womens Championship match.

roopy

Referee
If it were up to me I'd make the 10th spot for a world team made up of players from all the sides that didn't make it - and I'd put them into a 2 month camp with a top coach before the tournament.
That would uncover a couple of dozen guys from USA, West Indies, Russia, Georgia, Japan etc etc etc who are good enough for ESL and NRL teams - and do more to progress the sport in those countries than having their teams floged by Aus could.

roopy

Referee
nospam49™ said:
What we need is ten REAL internationa teams.

If we want to see NRL players wearing a different jersey lets just have a WWE style draft and have a World Cup with about as much credibility as a HLA Womens Championship match.
There arn't 10 REAL teams.
There are 3 REAL teams - maybe 5 if you spent a lot of money on training and coaching for France and PNG over the next 2 1/2 years.

We have to have 10 teams who can at least be competitive.

The Union WC only had 5 competitive sides - but the League public won't pay good money to watch exhibitions dressed up as pool games.

girvie

Staff member
roopy said:
If NZ Maori can come up with a stronger lineup than Scotland etc etc, they should be in.

Malta, NZ Maori, the West Indies, Lebanon, even Italy and Greece will really put up great challenges, and if the beat out sides like Tonga, Scotland, Wales and USA - hopefully it will be because they put together a damn good side.

But they are not representing their country. They are representing their ethnicity. I think teams should be representing their country in a world cup.

roopy

Referee
girvie said:
But they are not representing their country. They are representing their ethnicity. I think teams should be representing their country in a world cup.
IMO they can represent Disneyland or Hut River Province if they want - as long as they can play.

I'd have no problem with Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, or Wales, Scotland and Ireland all deciding they can't win on their own - so joining to make a PI and combined Celtic side.

I'd even be happy with Australia splitting into NSW and Qld to make two competitive sides out of one, just as long as they were on the same side of the draw so they couldn't meet in the final.

Copa

Bench
roopy said:

sorry... I must be ignorant..... but where on a world map is maoriland??

THE WORLD CUP IS FOR COUNTRIES ONLY!!

Copa

Bench
http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/storydispl...ocalsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

RUGBY LEAGUE: NZ Maori aiming to wrap up the Cooks

HAMISH BIDWELL
When you think of New Zealand Maori rugby league, one name stands above all the rest - Tawera Nikau.

Having spent much of the 1990s on a self-imposed exile from the Kiwis side due to a well-documented dispute with former Castleford teammate Richie Blackmore, Nikau's put his heart and soul into turning the Maori into a credible international force. It was a quest he succeeded in, leading them to victory over the touring Great Britain team and on to the 2000 World Cup.

It's appropriate then that Nikau is now at the helm of the team in a coaching capacity, and with a series-clinching win over the Cook Islands at Nelson Park tomorrow, it's a job he hopes to retain through to the next World Cup.

"Yeah, it's great to still be involved in the game through the coaching side of things," Nikau, who had his leg amputated following a motorbike accident, said.
"Sometimes I do get a little bit frustrated but I'm just glad to be here on the coaching pathway. I'd love to stay involved with the team and to get them through to the World Cup but we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

Standing in his way on this occasion is a Kevin Iro-coached Cook Islands side that has proved a real handful in this series. After a 26-all draw in the first test in Tokoroa, Nikau's boys ground out a hard fought 30-24 win at Gisborne's Rugby Park on Wednesday night.

He says the first-up result was fairly predictable but having had more time together, he's expecting a more polished performance tomorrow.

"The Cooks are a very, very good side and they thrashed us in the final of the Pacific Rim tournament last year, so we were under no illusions about how tough they'd be," he said. "It's very tough to come together in three days and that's all we had together before the first game. But full credit to our guys, they got stuck and we've improved a bit since then.

"We were much better in the second game and we expect better again come Sunday."

Having put so much in the value of the Maori jersey as a player, does Nikau thinks it means as much to its current wearers?

"Oh definitely," he said. "The guys have a lot of mana and pride within themselves and for me, it's really just about passing that on to the boys. But at the same time, I don't really need to, because they know it's a huge honour to represent the New Zealand Maori side."

The Observer

Staff member
Go the Maori!

Copa said:
THE WORLD CUP IS FOR COUNTRIES ONLY!!

Guess that rules out England, Scotland, Wales, the island of Ireland, and Great Britain and Ireland then! Unless, of course, you're suggesting that NSW and QLD take part?

Let's see the double standards roll out - again. You can set your watch by it.

nadera78

Juniors
If the best these people can come up with is a pre-season comp with teams not representing countries then we might as well pull the plug now.

Hopefully Tawera Nikau and co are merely working on the assumption that as they were in last time they will be so again and they haven't actually been given the nod.

BUT I don't think Richard Lewis for one will be keen on them playing, he's always seemed to be very keen on putting the right image across.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Got to say I agree with LF on this one. We want ten nations in the World Cup, not nine nations and a team representing an ethnic minority from a nation that will also be in the competition.

yakstorm

First Grade
roopy said:
I'd have no problem with Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, or Wales, Scotland and Ireland all deciding they can't win on their own - so joining to make a PI and combined Celtic side.

A combined Pacific Islanders and Celtic side....an interesting idea....you could almost take the entire Australian side for that team in terms of qualification...you might be on a winner there Roopy.

Being serious, the Maori didn't do much in the 2000 RLWC, they weren't that ultra competitive fourth place powerhouse who pushed everyone all the way, and England, NZ and Australia were lucky to overcome.

Yet at the same time they ate away at the creditability of the competition. They and Lebanon got most of the wrath from the media...and in many cases rightfully so.

So really if you take away whether they justify an inclusion as a nation or not and look at it purely from a business / benefit to the competition point of view...they aren't offering a lot...in fact I'd be sticking away from them.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Here we go again............I am fearful of the WC as we have still no idea whats happening and who is eligable to qualify!This doesnt look good to us but what does it look like to sponsors?Dont get involved look t last time etc.I feel I am being realistic more than negative.Why cant we organize ourselves better?

Sun_Down

Juniors
So Roopy, if we need the strongest possible teams, should we include Australia 'A'? [-X

I'd even be happy with Australia splitting into NSW and Qld to make two competitive sides out of one, just as long as they were on the same side of the draw so they couldn't meet in the final.

I seriously would rather not have a WC if that happened.