What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ - The Forgotten Frontier?

Lego_Man

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10599966&pnum=0

Chris Rattue: NRL shows the way for union

4:00AM Monday Sep 28, 2009
By Chris Rattue

Two hours of watching footy on Friday night should have been enough to convince a realist that if rugby isn't dying as a high-profile sport for the modern age, it should be.

No, it wasn't that turgid Air New Zealand affair from New Plymouth where Waikato and Taranaki could manage just one try between them (by a prop) that did the damage.

Instead, it was the magic that came flowing out of Sydney's Olympic Stadium which suggested that, if league can make sure its finances are in order and the NRL salary cap doesn't squash the sport into its level playing field, this is the rugby code with the bright future.

In contrast, rugby union is, I'm afraid, in a hell of a stodgy mess - and with no way out. It is going to suffer in comparison with league, perhaps fatally, over time.

Rugby, in all its drudgery, is ripping the punters off when you compare it to league's combination of open-field skill and ferocity.

The Sydney preliminary NRL final showdown between the Canterbury Bulldogs and Parramatta Eels was a magnificent match. A huge, vibrant crowd provided the backdrop, and to be honest the Bulldogs were only making up the numbers.

Daniel Anderson's Parramatta Eels are trailblazers. In the salary cap world (and judging by recent trends, fortunes change quickly from season to season) it remains to be seen if they can challenge the resilient Melbourne Storm dynasty. Given the way the Eels play the game, let's hope so.

What a night, and what a team. The Eels take risks, throw the ball about, back up as if their life depended on it, keep the ball alive, and trust their skills and instincts.

Only the DNA of the Bulldogs, league's Dogs of War, could keep the scoreline down. Most teams, without such a history of resolve, would have been blasted to smithereens.

From Fuifui Moimoi's magnificent charges, to the skills of Feleti Mateo and the unique Jarryd Hayne, the Eels are a rare, high-octane mix. League is on a high thanks to these wizards, but the Eels are not the only entertainment winners in the NRL.

In contrast, rugby is bogged down, calling on parochialism and patriotism to save it, rather than giving a substantial return for those emotions.
Four million fans. Yeah right. The union boys may be able to test the codes of advertising standards when making that claim, but only for the World Cup tournament.

Rugby, the game we have loved for so long, has ground to a horrible halt, mired by scrum resets, breakdown confusion, kicking festivals, officious referees, endless penalties, errors, an inability to properly police or institute an offside line and a cross-hemisphere political rivalry that stymies potential remedies.

A veteran photographer told me after the recent Auckland-North Harbour match that there was so much forceback kicking involved, he had trouble finding anything to photograph.

Much of the kicking you see in rugby isn't part of any clever plot - the kicks are desperate acts by players who probably wish they could run with the ball but know it's too risky and can't think of anything else to do. Thus, we are in the era where attacks are based on hopeful and often hopeless chip kicks and hoofs to the corners.

Not that this matters to those of us with open minds and a love of open footy because we've got the NRL to watch, complete with its over-the-top commentators and incidents galore for them to talk - or yell - about.
League is made for television, with a high-velocity and an action zone which fits perfectly into the TV screen.

Yes, the really big rugby union games will still draw decent audiences, because the enormity of the occasion will make the boring mess seem worthwhile.

It is in the week-to-week business though that union is going to crash, because the modern sports audience - saturated in sport - is long past wanting or needing too much significance. It wants personalities, drama, controversy and most importantly - action.

I timed a few incidents in Saturday's Ranfurly Shield clash between Canterbury and Northland and at times it took up to two minutes between the referee's whistle and the ball returning to play. The official watch is stopped, so some of this time is not lost, but these stoppages ruin the flow and buzz of the game. Payoffs for these waits are few and far between.
Long stoppages are virtually non-existent in league and penalty counts low. The longest breaks are for goal kicks, and even they are rare.
A massive advantage for league is its structure which enables officials to get defenders back behind an easily defined offside line. In contrast, union's free-flow allows defenders to swamp attackers, and referees seem unable to keep players on-side.

The Warriors may be down at the moment, but they can breathe easy, knowing they are part of the code that is delivering to its fans.
Put it this way. Name the rugby side which is delivering for the spirit of the game, the team which is taking union forward, the one which is setting the entertainment standards, the one which might bring comparisons with famous teams of old. You can't.

Name the rugby side that is saying "we'll show you what this game is all about." Name the rugby side (or even player) of today who you might still be talking about in 20 years' time for any other reason than victories. Pick the last time you saw a rugby player charging around in open field, like Michael Jones or John Kirwan or Christian Cullen, like league superstars Jarryd Hayne or Billy Slater, like the way we dreamed about in the playgrounds of our childhood.

There is a good argument that you shouldn't compare sports, that it should be a case of each to their own. But even here, you can say that league is achieving its aims in terms of the spectacle, while union is not meeting whatever standards it has set for itself.

The NRL rule makers could point to Moimoi's brilliant charges, Feleti Matua's ball playing, Hayne's dancing feet or the Eels' passing interchanges and say this is what we hoped our game would be about.

Yes, union is supposed to be different. But it is also supposed to involve some razzle-dazzle, and it ain't. When can you last recall seeing a fantastic ball-handling move in rugby union involving more than a couple of passes and players?

If rugby has a vision for what its game is supposed to look like, it would have one heck of a battle finding a poster team to prove it's working.
Rugby's top sides and coaches aren't flourishing via the rules. They are barely coping with them. With another season of entertainment hope laid to waste, the All Black coaches continue to blather on about growing things for the future. What is this? Market gardening?

Contrast that with league, which is delivering in spades.
It's not just the Eels - there are Benji Marshall's Wests Tigers, the little men at teams like Souths and North Queensland, Johnathan Thurston, the Manly team of 2008, and many more who have or are exciting the fans rather than sending them to sleep. Silly, departed Bulldog Sonny Bill Williams was bigger than anything in rugby union, where his magic has just about sunk without trace.

Even the AFL, a game whose subtleties go right over my head, is starting to look quite interesting. A highlights package of Aussie Rules goals, played on television last week, gave me more of a buzz than an entire season of rugby.

It's hard to understand where rugby thinks it is at. A TV commentator from New Plymouth tried to infer that the contest between Waikato and Taranaki was a stirring, muscular provincial clash.

It wasn't. It was a painful bore with an atmosphere to match, like the majority of rugby.

Maybe TV's spin doctors are medicating our commentators. I smell a rat in that department.

But the patients, the spectators, will only linger in the waiting room for so long.
Great article, and just illustrates the potential the game has in New Zealand (if we can get the administration sorted out). It's amazing how much newspaper space the NRL gets in, say, the New Zealand Herald...especially when compared with the Melbourne papers. And then this article from one of NZ's more prominent sports writers.

League has the potential to be huge here and we shouldnt forget it. Sure the main front of the war may be against the AFL in Australia. But NZ shouldnt be neglected, because the game does have a substantial following.

Keep that 2nd New Zealand team in mind.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would rather NZ be part of Australia than Victoriania.

And yes League is a better product than Union.

Goddo

Bench
Nice to see the Kiwis are waking up to the fact that union is a slow moving game of forceback kicking, fat bastards in a heap and penalty goals.

Imagine if the Huricanes decided to change to league. NZ 2 should well and truely be on the NRLs agenda

Johns Magic

Referee
International and Super 14 rugby is boring as sh*t, and unfortunately club rugby is never going to get the exposure it needs.

Hass

Juniors
I think this is quite important actually.

For a while now I've just automatically believed that the Central Coast and Perth should be the next two clubs admitted.

But the situation in New Zealand demands serious attention and thought. There's a strong opening for Rugby League to take a serious chunk of Union's market share. Union will still be number one - it's in the country's blood. But there's room for League to be a relative equal rather than a bit player.

New Zealand has always been the home of "running Rugby" but attempts to change the laws have been blocked by the European countries, leaving New Zealand (and Australia) isolated.

I think New Zealanders would be receptive to an increased League presence.

chrisc101

Juniors
Great article and totally agree with the comments. What is probably forgotten with all this talk about expansion is the huge advantage an expansion team in NZ would have over one in AFL territory. They understand the sport, sometimes follow the sport and have a ready made team and junior base.

A team in NZ does not face the prejudice a team will in AFL territory.

Smithtown

Coach
Totally agree Hass

And the proliference of Kiwi/Maori/Polynesians in our game is only going to get bigger. Might as well tap it at source.

Therefore Wellington is very well positioned. A good history of League - with Wellington boy Tony Kemp heavily involved in development (although for the Warriors atm) and an outstanding modern stadium.

Has to be very highly thoought off as the next expansion team.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah I definately think its a four horse race... Perth (WA 1), Central Coast (NSW 11), Wellington (NZ 2), and South QLD (QLD 4).

aussies1st

Staff member
There definitely is a base for it, the Warriors home crowd is by far the most aggressive in terms of vocalness and you know exactly who the home side is. Rugby crowds don't get close to what the Warriors can get when they are going well. It seems to be a league thing so another club in Wellington would probably get the same sort of atmosphere.

Shire Panther

Juniors
Wellington should def be on the agenda when its time to expand and it would also stregthen the Kiwis national team because there will be more opportunity for the Kiwis to play and not get sucked into Yawnion.

And if the Orca's did get in i'd hope the Warriors would revert back to being known as the Auckland Warriors.

Goddo

Bench
Does anyone know what Westpac Stadium in Wellington is like for League/Rugby/Soccer? Its a cricket oval with capacity of 38000, but what is it like for a spectator?

alexc

Another NZ team would be great. The local derby would be massive if both teams chalk up some wins. Just a shame the Warriors are unreliable at the moment.

Personally I would like to see either a Perth or NZ team as the next team.

Also I imagine a lot of stadiums are getting serviced for the Rugby World Cup?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If New Zealand is the "Forgotten Frontier" then what does that make Canberra.

Does anyone know what Westpac Stadium in Wellington is like for League/Rugby/Soccer? Its a cricket oval with capacity of 38000, but what is it like for a spectator?

It's a very small oval, from what I remember the corners are close to the sides of the field. It's a stupid design (they should've made it rectangular like Newcastle/Gold Coast instead of a sh*tty compromise) but it'll be a great home to a RL team based there.

shiznit

Coach
i would love to see a 2nd NZ team.... for me it's a no brainer for the NRL...

why is it a no brainer.... because the NRL would more than likely increase its broadcasting deal with SKYTV significantly... they may even be able to double it...

so in that sense the team pays for itself instantly.

then you consider that the warriors really are trail blazers in world sports by playing in another countries league... the new club could learn alot from how the warriors started out and hopefully avoid alot of the mistakes.

the only problem i can see would be around the stadium.... you can only have a certain amount of games played at certain times at the caketin. the Phoenix & Hurricanes/All Blacks/Lions take up all the slots at present.

so they would have to get resource consent to play there... but with our new govt stripping those laws right down it may not be a big hurdle anymore...

shiznit

Coach
if i was the Wellington CEO the first player i would sign would be SBW...

i would move heaven and earth to sign him....

he would create instant media buzz in NZ & Australia... most fans in NZ still support him... most fans in AUS hate him...

and he would probably create a wicked new rivalry with the Bulldogs straight away... could you imagine his first game V the dogs in Australia....

id probably look at signing Piri Weepu & Ma'a Nonu... local wellington boys who have a high profile and a genuine desire to play RL.

then as a captain... Simon Mannering perhaps.... the boys from Nelson which pretty much makes him a local...

id need a massive cap though... :lol:

Scarves

Juniors
If another team is to come into the NRL, a second NZ team like Wellington is my pick as the next to come into the league. Without a second NZ team, the Warriors are half pregnant and will never reach their potential. Every team needs natural rivalries or they become care factor zero. The Warriors have no serious rivalry, they are trying to build one against the Storm but something year to year where two NZ teams play each other twice will assist in the growth of the game in NZ and assist the Warriors as well.

If we only have one NZ team, my point is we might as well have none.

Liam

Juniors
The order I'd want would be this:
1. Perth
2. Wellington
3. Central Coast
4. SE QLD

I feel expanding the game into markets where there's a genuine interest will improve not only the TV deals but also produce a lot more talent into the game because at the moment young players in Wellington are forced to either play Union or move to Auckland or Australia.

Goddo

Bench
I agree Liam on priority, but my only concern would be expanding in 1 heartland region, one expansion to reduce the risk. Doing Perth and Wellington first might be risky, so maybe Wellington and Central Coast, then in a few years Perth and South QLD.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If another team is to come into the NRL, a second NZ team like Wellington is my pick as the next to come into the league. Without a second NZ team, the Warriors are half pregnant and will never reach their potential. Every team needs natural rivalries or they become care factor zero. The Warriors have no serious rivalry, they are trying to build one against the Storm but something year to year where two NZ teams play each other twice will assist in the growth of the game in NZ and assist the Warriors as well.

If we only have one NZ team, my point is we might as well have none.

The Warriors have pretty big rivalries with both Brisbane and Melbourne don't they. At least, that's how I've always seen it.